Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 8, 2014 4:43 PM

Apr 2013
Yhuuro said:
Stahp bringing 2-3 month old threads back from the dead. Stahp it.

Anyway, just watch TTGL and you'll understand the 'appeal' of mecha. I don't need to say any more.

I have and I still don't. TTGL was good, but I didn't like it cause of the mechs
Mar 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Jan 2014
The fact that it is not the slice of life genre, so it can actually be entertaining instead of near-death boring.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 8, 2014 6:56 PM

Mar 2008
Cupquake said:
Yhuuro said:

Anyway, just watch TTGL and you'll understand the 'appeal' of mecha. I don't need to say any more.

I have and I still don't. TTGL was good, but I didn't like it cause of the mechs

Admittedly, most of the designs in TTGL were unaesthetic and 'silly'.
Mar 8, 2014 7:02 PM

Apr 2013
Ckan said:
Cupquake said:
Yhuuro said:

I didn't think the designs were bad, I just wasn't really into any of the mech fights in the show. They kind of bored me tbh....
Mar 8, 2014 7:06 PM
Sep 2013
Because mechs are sexy.
The end is nigh

Mar 8, 2014 7:06 PM

Mar 2008
Cupquake said:
Ckan said:
Cupquake said:
TTGL was good, but I didn't like it cause of the mechs

I didn't think the designs were bad, I just wasn't really into any of the mech fights in the show. They kind of bored me tbh....

B-but drills and screaming! This is the epitome of robot. Even pewpew- 'real' military mecchabots come down to this.

A-are you trying to say robot fights are boring!!? Speak not such heresy!
L-lets try again: Drills and screaming! Yay or nay?
Mar 8, 2014 7:10 PM

Apr 2013
Ckan said:
Cupquake said:
Ckan said:
Cupquake said:
TTGL was good, but I didn't like it cause of the mechs

B-but drills and screaming! This is the epitome of robot. Even pewpew- 'real' military mecchabots come down to this.

A-are you trying to say robot fights are boring!!? Speak not such heresy!
L-lets try again: Drills and screaming! Yay or nay?

Uh...uh....y-yay?

I-i-dk, I'm scared!
Mar 8, 2014 7:11 PM

Jun 2008
Ckan said:
Cupquake said:
Yhuuro said:

Woah dude. I think Gurren Lagann is more aesthetic than some gundam models.
Mar 8, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2008
Cupquake said:
Uh...uh....y-yay?

I-i-dk, I'm scared!
You have survived the Mechcan Inquisition!
Congratulations! Congratulations. Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations! ad nauseam.

There's a lot to like about mecha outside of TTGL, despite what some would have you believe.

Tachii said:
Ckan said:
Woah dude. I think Gurren Lagann is more aesthetic than some gundam models.
Woah! Hold those horses indeed. Depending on which models you're referring to, I may require your head in repentance.
Mar 8, 2014 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
Ckan said:
Cupquake said:
Uh...uh....y-yay?

I-i-dk, I'm scared!
You have survived the Mechcan Inquisition!
Congratulations! Congratulations. Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations! ad nauseam.

There's a lot to like about mecha outside of TTGL, despite what some would have you believe.

The only other mecha I have seen are Evangelion and Code Geass (basically all the well-known ones). I thought the mech fights in CG were cool while Evangelion's were meh. As of now, I still don't really like mecha.

I'm planning to watch fmp eventually, but do you have any other good recommendations? Preferably something that is not very long.
Mar 8, 2014 7:39 PM

Mar 2008
Cupquake said:
The only other mecha I have seen are Evangelion and Code Geass (basically all the well-known ones). I thought the mech fights in CG were cool while Evangelion's were meh. As of now, I still don't really like mecha.

I'm planning to watch fmp eventually, but do you have any other good recommendations? Preferably something that is not very long.
It does depend on what level incredulity you'd like, as mecha ranges from galactic-spanning superworld-wreckers with silly Yo-yo weapons, to 'realistic' explosive tin-cans.

These aren't exactly indicative of mecha as a whole, but I think these have a general-appeal:
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Martian Successor Nadesico
Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
SHin Mazinger - may be a little hard to get into.
Perhaps Gundam 00/Wing/Seed depending on your art and SRSness preferences.

I'll also throw out Hades Project Zeorymer for a short 4-ep ova of oldschool edgy.

FMP is a 'safe' starter, but the Second Raid is far superior (it does everything better). Fumoffu is hilarious (if it covers your sense of humour), but isn't mecha at all.
Mar 8, 2014 7:45 PM

Nov 2012
Maybe an even better question is why do people immediately dismiss and ignore what could be a great anime just because they see that it has mecha in it? Not all mecha anime are mostly focused on the machines themselves, you can usually just think of them as devices or machines that are used for war on a larger scale.

I'm not really sure if I can say I love mecha as a genre into itself. There are good mecha shows, and bad shows with mecha. I do love the concept of a giant robot that you can pilot though, its sort of like the next technological stage in warfare (think of the upgrade in history to tank and airlplanes, now we upgrade to giant robots, why not?) . Do other people just not like mecha because they think that piloting a giant robot is unrealistic or what? Or they don't like the way they look?

Cupquake have you seen any Gundam shows? Some of the gundam shows are in my opinion extremely entertaining, because some mix politics, drama/tragedy(especially tragedy in some cases), philosophy, action, romance all together very nicely. I've watched Gundam 0079 (the 1st series), Zeta Gundam (the 2nd series), Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, and I'm watching Gundam Unicorn right now.
Mar 8, 2014 7:46 PM

Apr 2013
Ckan said:
Cupquake said:

It does depend on what level incredulity you'd like, as mecha ranges from galactic-spanning superworld-wreckers with silly Yo-yo weapons, to 'realistic' explosive tin-cans.

These aren't exactly indicative of mecha as a whole, but I think these have a general-appeal:
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Martian Successor Nadesico
Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
SHin Mazinger - may be a little hard to get into.
Perhaps Gundam 00/Wing/Seed depending on your art and SRSness preferences.

I'll also throw out Hades Project Zeorymer for a short 4-ep ova of oldschool edgy.

FMP is a 'safe' starter, but the Second Raid is far superior (it does everything better). Fumoffu is hilarious (if it covers your sense of humour), but isn't mecha at all.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out
Mar 8, 2014 7:50 PM

Mar 2008
midnightblade said:
Maybe an even better question is why do people immediately dismiss and ignore what could be a great anime just because they see that it has mecha in it? Not all mecha anime are mostly focused on the machines themselves, you can usually just think of them as devices or machines that are used for war on a larger scale.
It's like how people don't like yaoi. It does nothing for them. Mechaphobics deserve love, too!

midnightblade said:
I do love the concept of a giant robot that you can pilot though, its sort of like the next technological stage in warfare (think of the upgrade in history to tank and airlplanes, now we upgrade to giant robots, why not?) .
They're not really feasible with our technology, so you'd need some 'magic particle engine alloy generator' to make it work.
Some depictions of mecha do a good job of being very 'grounded' in design and/or function.

midnightblade said:
I've watched Gundam 0079 (the 1st series), Zeta Gundam (the 2nd series), Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, and I'm watching Gundam Unicorn right now.
It is heresy to skip over ZZ not-an-anime Gundam puru~. Don't tell me you didn't watch CCA before starting Unicorn, either?
THIS IS WRONG, and I cry for your metal soul.
CkanMar 8, 2014 7:53 PM
Mar 8, 2014 7:50 PM

Jan 2014
midnightblade said:
Maybe an even better question is why do people immediately dismiss and ignore what could be a great anime just because they see that it has mecha in it? "insert any mainstream anime." Not all mecha anime are mostly focused on the machines themselves, you can usually just think of them as devices or machines that are used for war on a larger scale.

I'm not really sure if I can say I love mecha as a genre into itself. There are good mecha shows, and bad shows with mecha. I do love the concept of a giant robot that you can pilot though, its sort of like the next technological stage in warfare (think of the upgrade in history to tank and airlplanes, now we upgrade to giant robots, why not?) . Do other people just not like mecha because they think that piloting a giant robot is unrealistic or what? Or they don't like the way they look?

Cupquake have you seen any Gundam shows? Some of the gundam shows are in my opinion extremely entertaining, because some mix politics, drama/tragedy(especially tragedy in some cases), philosophy, action, romance all together very nicely. I've watched Gundam 0079 (the 1st series), Zeta Gundam (the 2nd series), Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, and I'm watching Gundam Unicorn right now.

Because people are ignorant or want to seem superior in most cases.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 8, 2014 7:53 PM
Oct 2010
In terms of real robot it's nice to see some futuristic military action without it going into a DBZ esque slug out like so many shounen and action anime in general do. I feel like anime in general do a poor job of conveying larger scale battles and tend to focus on more small scale fights outside of the mecha/space genres. Especially battles where both sides lose people.

This obviously isn't set in stone, but a lot of mecha fans that I know tend to be on the older side since we grew up with more of it and most of those fans tend to be fans of sci-fi stuff like Warhammer, Macross, Starwars etc.
Mar 8, 2014 7:56 PM

Jan 2014
Highly acclaimed it maybe, but I still could not finish Gurren Lagan! I generally dislke mecha.. T_T
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 8, 2014 8:04 PM

Mar 2008
Cupquake said:
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out
Actually, I'd like to add Majestic Prince to that list, as it's a recent example of a perfectly executed 'generic' (in the best form of the term), mecha show.

It also features some of the best CGI in a TV anime.

peeyaj said:
Highly acclaimed it maybe, but I still could not finish Gurren Lagan! I generally dislke mecha.. T_T
You seemed to have enjoyed Full Metal Panic. Did you not like the battles in that? Regardless of what aspect you enjoyed, there's plenty more where that came from! Sign up at the nearest Robot-enlistment centre near you!

Have you tried the popular Code-Geass? After those, there are countless others that are popular with the general crowd. We'll make a steel tampered spirit of you yet.
Mar 8, 2014 8:34 PM

Nov 2012
Ckan said:
midnightblade said:
It's like how people don't like yaoi. It does nothing for them. Mechaphobics deserve love, too!

midnightblade said:
I do love the concept of a giant robot that you can pilot though, its sort of like the next technological stage in warfare (think of the upgrade in history to tank and airlplanes, now we upgrade to giant robots, why not?) .
They're not really feasible with our technology, so you'd need some 'magic particle engine alloy generator' to make it work.
Some depictions of mecha do a good job of being very 'grounded' in design and/or function.

midnightblade said:
I've watched Gundam 0079 (the 1st series), Zeta Gundam (the 2nd series), Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, and I'm watching Gundam Unicorn right now.
It is heresy to skip over ZZ not-an-anime Gundam puru~. Don't tell me you didn't watch CCA before starting Unicorn, either?
THIS IS WRONG, and I cry for your metal soul.

Maybe I shouldn't have said the NEXT STAGE in warfare. Just a future stage. Do you think in the year 1000 AD that someone could be shown images/video of airplanes and tanks , and would they not think it was magic/supernatural/impossible? If technology is advanced enough, it will basically seem like magic eventually to people from the past... Who's to say we won'te ventually be able to create mecha with crazy piloting systems that interpret out thoughts, with beam sabers, particle rifles, and whatnot.

If you want to continue this discussion Ckan please post on my profile, I don't want to derail the thread unless you just have one more comment for me or something.

ZZ has such a bad rep from 99% of the people I've asked about it, that's why I didn't complete it. I'll get around to watching it eventually, just hard to motivate myself to watch it lol. I want to make it through the UC Timeline, and I'll eventually watch Unicorn over again after I finish UC so I can actually catch more easter eggs and understand it better. ZZ does have fucking awesome opening songs, so catchy... ANIME JA NAI ....... ANIME JA NAI..... SILLEEEEENT VOOOOICCCEE...
Mar 8, 2014 9:39 PM

Mar 2008
midnightblade said:
ZZ does have fucking awesome opening songs, so catchy... ANIME JA NAI ....... ANIME JA NAI..... SILLEEEEENT VOOOOICCCEE...
See this here? These are the words of someone who understands.

Mecha aren't merely robots. Mecha is as space and time itself made into tangible form for the betterment of humanity. It is the everlasting song and FINAL FORM of life, the core spirit of all anime. The very soul of reality.
Mar 8, 2014 10:04 PM
Nov 2010
None really, there's only one I've seen so far that was done well.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Mar 8, 2014 10:08 PM

Sep 2013
Ayokana said:
Kitsu-nee said:
It's the manliest anime genre EVER, full of GARs, bromance and overwhelming epicness. If any genre ever could have balls, mecha would be the ballsiest.

How can anyone actually dislike it?

well not being fond of preposterous amounts of testosterone in a series could be one of the reasons someone wouldn't like the manliest genre ever.

I suppose this explains my basic problem with the mecha genre (and action/fighting/violence-oriented anime in general). Some things are just too manly for my taste. I'm afraid that if I watch the manliest mecha series, I'll fall gravely ill from testosterone poisoning. (I'm sure the manliest men here would have similarly bad reactions to extremely girly anime.)

However, I'm certainly open to series that include mecha as an element, but focus on other elements that appeal to me, such as story, characterization, multiple layers of meaning, comedy, and social commentary. Gatchaman Crowds is a series that has characters who transform into fighters wearing mecha-like suits, but it is a lot more than that, and the fight scenes don't dominate the program. Pani Poni Dash has a few episodes that play the mecha concept for laughs; the mecha scenes certainly add to the bizarre comedy of this odd series and I enjoy them as much as I enjoy the rest of the program.

I'm also open to mecha shows that are bad to the point of being good for a laugh, such as Tenkuu Danzato Skelter Heaven. I certainly wouldn't mind finding others like this little gem of horridness, but shows as bad as this one or the similarly awful masterpiece Mars of Destruction don't come along all that often.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Mar 9, 2014 12:55 PM
Apr 2013
Yhuuro said:

Better than making new topics about the same thing, imo.

About mecha, it seems very strange that there are so many Anime about such a random and narrow genre.
Mar 9, 2014 1:22 PM
Mar 2013
giant robots shooting lasers and a bunch of explosions with flashing lights.
Mar 9, 2014 1:31 PM

Mar 2013
TBH there have only been a handful of decent ones in recent years, a shame really :(
Mar 9, 2014 1:36 PM

Jan 2013
Sanjur0 said:
TBH there have only been a handful of decent ones in recent years, a shame really :(

Not just mecha.
Correct me if I am wrong, I think there is a dearth of good mystery, cyberpunk and fantasy anime too. Majority of the anime produced nowadays are of the slice of life genre.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 9, 2014 2:20 PM

Jun 2013
I don't really consider it a genre anyway.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Mar 11, 2014 4:31 AM

Sep 2013
there's robot in it?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 minutes ago

0 by PushedCaraway »»
3 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 7 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
7 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

9 by DancingTheBa »»
16 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

42 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.