Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 19, 2009 3:57 AM

Mar 2008
Actually, I believe that number based scoring can be useful.

Or do you people actually take the time to read what any random MAL user writes as review? Because I sure as hell don't.
Feb 19, 2009 4:01 AM

Dec 2007
Dozer said:
Actually, I believe that number based scoring can be useful.

Or do you people actually take the time to read what any random MAL user writes as review? Because I sure as hell don't.

I don't take the time, but I usually read one or two when I'm about to watch a completely unknown series with hopes to spoil myself :3
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 19, 2009 4:02 AM

Jul 2008
Cihan said:
I'm genuinely surprised at the flak over scores, especially from reviewers. Look at most conventional review mediums like magazines and whatnot and they get by with a simple score out of 5. As mentioned earlier in this thread, words carry more weight than a bunch of numbers. I hate numbers, and so should any reviewer worth their salt, we're wordy people not mathematicians!

I'm getting used to the revamp, it looks better, I like that member profile pages on the left looks a bit cleaner at least, but those review thumbnail pics do need to go.

On the old reviews you could always choose to leave out the scores and only give your review an overall rating anyway. So if you'd prefer to do that, why didn't you?

The old reviews pretty much supplied everyone with everything they wanted to know and do. It's all suddenly been taken away, it's useless now.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Feb 19, 2009 4:09 AM

Feb 2008
Cihan said:
I can see the attraction of numbers, but I still feel a reviewer has lost their way if they rely on numbers like a crutch. I hate this extra dimension of figuring out what score to give for whatever facet of an anime/manga that has been arbitarily assigned for us. Its annoying and detracts from the actual art of reviewing...art.

With all due respect, I disagree. Maybe you have time to read all of the reviews, but I don't. Sometimes, I'm thinking about watching anime with more than 50 reviews, and I'd like to see what all of the reviewers thought about different aspects of story. For example, the most important thing for me is a good story and an enjoyment factor. If anime/manga doesn't have a good plot, I wont watch/read it even if it has the best animation/art ever. Some people care about story, some about animation, some about art, some about character development. And if I read what more than 50 people had to say on the subject I'll never get around to actually watching anime, especially considering that I have classes and part time job to think about, and I will probably meet with some friends in my free time, too. So that leaves about 2 hours each day, and I can't even read all of the reviews in that time, honestly.

Putting aside all that I just clicked write a review button and individual scores are there.

Still not showing up in the reviews, though.
sanjicaFeb 19, 2009 4:17 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2009 4:11 AM

Jun 2008
I miss the individual scores, but reviewers can put them in their reviews so no big deal. But removing the BBCode is really a big deal.
Feb 19, 2009 4:16 AM

Jul 2008
kie_ said:
I miss the individual scores, but reviewers can put them in their reviews so no big deal. But removing the BBCode is really a big deal.

Having to put the seperate scores in your review is a hassle. As sanjica mentioned, if you want to take a look at all of the individual scores for an anime with tons of reviews, you'll now have to keep scrolling down, clicking 'view more' and then pinpoint where the actual ratings are, which could be difficult in a huge block of text that can't be bolded anymore due to the removal of BBCode.
Feb 19, 2009 4:33 AM

Jun 2008
Touka said:
kie_ said:

Having to put the seperate scores in your review is a hassle. As sanjica mentioned, if you want to take a look at all of the individual scores for an anime with tons of reviews, you'll now have to keep scrolling down, clicking 'view more' and then pinpoint where the actual ratings are, which could be difficult in a huge block of text that can't be bolded anymore due to the removal of BBCode.

You could easily find it, if you just made some space between the individual score and the text, or just by putting all of the individual scores first in the review.
kie_Feb 19, 2009 4:39 AM
Feb 19, 2009 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really understand the point of "add this to favorites" in the review and recommendation section. You either read the review and decide to watch/read the anime/manga, or you don't. You either take the recommendation and watch/read the anime/manga or you don't. I don't see why anyone would go "Ooh! I like this pair of recommendation, adding to my favorites!" or "OMG! That was an amazing review. It was like reading a novel. I'm definitely coming back to that again in a week."

The favorites seem pointless.

removed-userFeb 19, 2009 4:49 AM
Feb 19, 2009 4:43 AM

Jul 2008
LolitaDecay said:
Tabs on profiles are pretty cool.
Removal of BBCode is not cool.

exactly :<
Feb 19, 2009 4:44 AM

Jul 2008
kie_ said:
Touka said:
kie_ said:

You could easily find it, if you just made some space between the individual score and the text, or just by putting all of the individual scores first in the review.

Maybe some people won't want to format their reviews like that though. At the end of the day, having all of the scores at the side was much easier, neater and better.
Feb 19, 2009 4:45 AM

Jun 2008
blakbunnie27 said:
I don't really understand the point of "add this to favorites" in the review and recommendation section. You either read the review and decide to watch/read the anime/manga, or you don't. You either take the recommendation and watch/read the anime/manga or you don't. I don't see why anyone would go "Ooh! I like this pair of recommendation, adding to my favorites!" or "OMG! That was an amazing review. It was like reading a novel. I'm definitely coming back to that again in a week."

The favorites seem pointless.

You are not favoriting the review, you are favoriting the reviewer.

Touka said:
kie_ said:
Touka said:
kie_ said:

Maybe some people won't want to format their reviews like that though. At the end of the day, having all of the scores at the side was much easier, neater and better.

Yeah I know it's better, but I'm just saying this for our current situation.
kie_Feb 19, 2009 4:52 AM
Feb 19, 2009 4:50 AM
Jul 2018
Okay, well that makes more sense but even then, if more gets recommended/reviewed by the recommender/reviewer, then it just gets appended, making the list longer with just reviews and recommendations you wouldn't care about.

Also, the recommendations in the manga have a bug right now, and the first recommendation made (for any manga series) goes to an invalid id, 2nd goes to Monster, 3rd goes to Berserk, 4th goes to 20th Century Boys, 5th goes to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and 6th and 7th goes to nothing. 8th goes to Hajime no Ippo. 9th goes to Full Moon wo Sagashite. 10th goes to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. 11th goes to xxxHolic. 12th goes to Naruto. You might want to fix that.
removed-userFeb 19, 2009 4:59 AM
Feb 19, 2009 5:02 AM

Jun 2008
blakbunnie27 said:
Okay, well that makes more sense but even then, if more gets recommended/reviewed by the recommender/reviewer, then it just gets appended, making the list longer with just reviews and recommendations you wouldn't care about.

The one who favored it would care.

BTW did you read the OP post?
Feb 19, 2009 5:04 AM

Jan 2008
Touka said:
On the old reviews you could always choose to leave out the scores and only give your review an overall rating anyway. So if you'd prefer to do that, why didn't you?

I didnt know you could do that, but then thinking about it now it'd make the scoring table look incomplete if I'd only rated 'overall', which never looks nice, and readers will wonder if I'm just a fool for forgetting to score the whole thing properly. All or nothing, I say.

sanjica said:
With all due respect, I disagree. Maybe you have time to read all of the reviews, but I don't. Sometimes, I'm thinking about watching anime with more than 50 reviews, and I'd like to see what all of the reviewers thought about different aspects of story. For example, the most important thing for me is a good story and an enjoyment factor. If anime/manga doesn't have a good plot, I wont watch/read it even if it has the best animation/art ever. Some people care about story, some about animation, some about art, some about character development. And if I read what more than 50 people had to say on the subject I'll never get around to actually watching anime, especially considering that I have classes and part time job to think about, and I will probably meet with some friends in my free time, too. So that leaves about 2 hours each day, and I can't even read all of the reviews in that time, honestly.

As I mentioned above, I myself sometimes just skim reviews and end up looking at the overall score. Thats enough. Its been enough for many many years in many many publications and sites.

I dont see how someone's score for one facet of a show, someone whose review you're not even bothering to read by the way, will impact your opinion of the show. If you're not gonna read the reviewer's review, why would you take his score of 10 for 'story' seriously at all?

This thread is only highlighting to me how little people know about the entire concept of reviews. If anything, removing the scoring will force more reviewers to develop their writing skills, in conveying to the reader what their opinion of the show, and its many aspects, is. Rather than relying on a bunch of numbers.

And if people dont want to read reviews, then here's a solution: Check out the member stats page of the anime, you get a good idea of its ranking that way. You number freaks!

I'm not a number hater, but I'm disappointed in how much flak this revamp has gotten, a revamp that's putting emphasis on writing and not ranking.

Am I really alone?

*sniff*
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 19, 2009 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
I read the first 2 sentences and thought of it as a retarded idea. So I stopped reading. And now I have read the entire post.
Feb 19, 2009 5:09 AM

Aug 2007
Ah, very nice update. Now it's easy to see what other members made as recommendations, a section which I use almost everyday. Favourites just had to come sometime, right? Just like certain streamingsites, lol. I'll have to find a good reviewer to add now. Not those members who write ridiculous reviews.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Feb 19, 2009 5:09 AM

Nov 2007
DaBigD said:
I, for one, do like the tab system. Although I didn't have any problems with reviews/recs being under favourites, this looks nice to me.

I certainly don't like the changes in the reviews. Removing the individual scores for animation/sound/whatever seems like stupid to me. I mean, did you really have to remove that? I'd like to know the weak points of the anime I'm watching. Just because the overall rating is 9 doesn't mean that it's "sound" part is 9.

Edit: On a side note, you can just place the individual scores inside your review. Yeah, that'd work.

And about the BBCode, I don't see a reason to remove them. I have yet to see reviews containing unreasonable amount of BBCode, and if they rarely do, they can easily be reported. Bold and italics are always useful in writing.

I completely agree with this. The tabs are pretty nice, but I loved the individual scores.

I find the favourites option pretty useless, but I suppose others might like it.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Feb 19, 2009 5:24 AM

Jul 2007
Cihan said:
And if people dont want to read reviews, then here's a solution: Check out the member stats page of the anime, you get a good idea of its ranking that way. You number freaks!
I have no interest in the opinions of ordinary humans.

It's precisely because I know that some people are reasonable reviewers that I can trust the scores that they give (unlike the numbers given by a few thousand anonymous viewers/readers).

Cihan said:
I'm not a number hater, but I'm disappointed in how much flak this revamp has gotten, a revamp that's putting emphasis on writing and not ranking.
Changing emphasis is quite different from taking out a feature.
YuunagiFeb 19, 2009 5:44 AM
Feb 19, 2009 5:25 AM

Feb 2008
Cihan said:

I dont see how someone's score for one facet of a show, someone whose review you're not even bothering to read by the way, will impact your opinion of the show. If you're not gonna read the reviewer's review, why would you take his score of 10 for 'story' seriously at all?

That's why I look at more than 50 scores. If a person rated anime with average score 6 with a 10, than that means they exceptionally enjoyed it. I'm the last person to question other people's opinions. That's why I check all of the scores. And I would do that either way. But I don't have time to READ them all.

I think you're missing the point here. One review, no matter how well written or inspiring, is just one point of view. In order to decide, I would like to hear several different POVs. I don't have time to read several reviews. Well, sometimes I do, and than I read them all. But most of the time I just want some fun NOW. So, I just skim trough the invidual scores. Truth is, people's grading skills are much better once whatever they're grading has been deconstructed to parts.

I agree with whoever said that they like numbers. Numbers are dependable on, words are pretty.

But I won't argue with you anymore on this topic. I'm out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2009 5:43 AM
Jun 2008
Absolutely awful modification. While the favourite thing might be fine, why change the layout? The rating system for the animation and sound etc. should have been left alone. It actually does help with the reviewing of an anime, for example. It could look great and be total crap, and that's what people would want to know about in a review, amongst many other things.

Revert! Please! Like they say, why mess with a good thing?
Feb 19, 2009 5:53 AM

Jan 2008
Yuunagi said:
It's precisely because I know that some people are reasonable reviewers that I can trust the scores that they give (unlike the numbers given by a few thousand anonymous viewers/readers).

That is a very good point.

sanjica said:
I think you're missing the point here. One review, no matter how well written or inspiring, is just one point of view. In order to decide, I would like to hear several different POVs. I don't have time to read several reviews.

But your reasoning/paragraph is contradictory, cant you see that? Me suggesting you check out member stats is the perfect solution because all you're after is numerical data.

Well I dont consider myself arguing with anyone here, we've got strong opinions but to be honest this isnt a big enough change to have me frothing at the mouth. I welcome the lack of multiple scores, but would like the little pic to the side removed, and thats about it.

I gotta bigger fish to fry with anthology anime... *grumbles*
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 19, 2009 5:57 AM

Nov 2007
I just noticed the tabs on my profile. Awesome!
Although the edit to reviews sounds silly.
Feb 19, 2009 6:22 AM

Jan 2008
ANNOYING BUG: One of my reviews has a random code thingy between two paragraphs that looks like this:

/>

I've deleted, edited, re-submitted, copied from Word and pasted into review box, I've done everything but cant get rid of that annoying code from my review. I bet its on other reviews too, gargh!!!

EDIT: Yeah it occurs on four more reviews, at the beginning of a new paragraph each time. No matter what I do, I cant get rid of it. Chime in folks, do you see it elsewhere? Do you see it staring back at you with mirth in its cold steel blue eyes? Do you flinch when it smiles? Kill it if you see it.
BeatnikFeb 19, 2009 6:32 AM
Feb 19, 2009 6:38 AM

May 2008
Crimsonwill said:
Nice new look =D

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Feb 19, 2009 6:39 AM

Nov 2007
forlacik said:
I don't like this new look of my (and everybody's else) profile.

I second that. I really don't like it :(
Feb 19, 2009 6:42 AM

Mar 2008
Yuunagi said:
Cihan said:
I have no interest in the opinions of ordinary humans.

See, this is why I hate the fans of that show. They're all idiots!
Feb 19, 2009 6:45 AM

May 2007
Yikes, so much backlash and criticism of this feature. Well, I suppose I can throw in my two cents as well.

Personally speaking, I like the new layout of where everything is placed. I am a big organizational freak and to me, putting the reviews/rec's in a separate tab is a nice way to organize these features. The previous way of having it in the left-hand column seemed a bit clustered to me, but now that it's gone, I don't remember how it looked liked. Haha. Either way, I like the change.

Now as for the removal of the number rating system of each category, I have to admit that I'm a bit conflicted on how I feel. On one hand, when I look through reviews, the first thing that my eye catches is the numerical ratings a reviewer has given each category. Then I proceed to read the review (granted it's worthwhile) to see why they have rated accordingly. Piggybacking on what others above me have already stated, I do feel that showing the ratings for each separate category does have its merits, as there a ton of different shows out there where, for example, while the animation and sound may be horrendous, the story could be phenomenal. And the rating system could represent that.

However, on the other hand, I also feel that eliminating that and solely using an overall score would encourage people to actually read the review to see why the person who reviewed it would rate it as such (again, granted the actual review is worthwhile). And for people who claim that they don't have time to read reviews...are you serious? It takes what, 3-5 minutes to read a review...a lengthy one at that?

I haven't thought of any solutions to satisfy both parties yet, but when I do, I'll be back and post it up.
Feb 19, 2009 6:49 AM

Aug 2008
Cihan said:
And that way you know only overall scores, not ratings for sound, animation etc. So it's the same crap as current reviews.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 19, 2009 7:04 AM

Jan 2008
Antanaru said:
And that way you know only overall scores, not ratings for sound, animation etc. So it's the same crap as current reviews.

This debate is so fucking ludicrous! If you care so much about sound and animation, READ THE DAMN REVIEW. How are these mythical numbers from a stranger, whose indepth opinion you're not bothered with, going to be taken seriously by you? It makes no sense!!!

My head hurts! I dont want to live in a world where people just post numbers of categories, and never back up their decisions with reasons, in the form of reviews. Oh, so somebody gave Lucky Star a 10 for sound? WHY? FUCKING TELL ME WHY.

Why would you even acknowledge a rating for sound or animation without reading the review? Its without any kind of context, especially if its from a member you dont know, how on Earth can you accept those numbers without words to back them up?

HUH!?

WHERE AM I!? WHAT YEAR IS THIS!?
Feb 19, 2009 7:08 AM

Jul 2008
vindemon64 said:
Yikes, so much backlash and criticism of this feature. Well, I suppose I can throw in my two cents as well.

Personally speaking, I like the new layout of where everything is placed. I am a big organizational freak and to me, putting the reviews/rec's in a separate tab is a nice way to organize these features. The previous way of having it in the left-hand column seemed a bit clustered to me, but now that it's gone, I don't remember how it looked liked. Haha. Either way, I like the change.

Now as for the removal of the number rating system of each category, I have to admit that I'm a bit conflicted on how I feel. On one hand, when I look through reviews, the first thing that my eye catches is the numerical ratings a reviewer has given each category. Then I proceed to read the review (granted it's worthwhile) to see why they have rated accordingly. Piggybacking on what others above me have already stated, I do feel that showing the ratings for each separate category does have its merits, as there a ton of different shows out there where, for example, while the animation and sound may be horrendous, the story could be phenomenal. And the rating system could represent that.

However, on the other hand, I also feel that eliminating that and solely using an overall score would encourage people to actually read the review to see why the person who reviewed it would rate it as such (again, granted the actual review is worthwhile). And for people who claim that they don't have time to read reviews...are you serious? It takes what, 3-5 minutes to read a review...a lengthy one at that?

I haven't thought of any solutions to satisfy both parties yet, but when I do, I'll be back and post it up.

You say that you look at the ratings first, and go on to read the review to see why the reviewer has rated accordingly. Then you proceed to say that this new way of having only the overall score will encourage people to read the review to see why a person has given it that score. Isn't that the same thing that you said earlier about reading the review to see why a reviewer has rated it accordingly. It's no different - the new way doesn't encourage anyone to read a review. In fact it probably does the opposite. People who are maybe looking for an anime with phenomenal animation will no longer be able to pinpoint anything, since they can no longer just take a glance the ratings. Before, however, they would be able to see what series have recieved good ratings for the animation, then they could proceed to read the review knowing it's what they want to read about. How are they going to find out what series has good animation now when they can only see the overall score. It won't encourage them to read a review, it's more like forcing them too since the only way to find out the ratings now is by reading the reviews. Plus after they've read all that, the animation might not even be that good. The ratings supplied you with the information you wanted in one glance and an insight to what you could expect to read about in the actual review. At the end of the day, the only people who are going to read a review are the ones that actually want to. The reality is that most people on this website are just interested in the numbers. It's not like removing the ratings is going to change the way people decide to do their reviews either. The reviews are still the same as they were before, even people who hate numbers like Cihan never did actually have to look at them, they can just choose to read the review. A good review is a good review, a bad review is a bad review. Numbers don't have an influence on the review, they're just a very help extra.
ToukaFeb 19, 2009 7:17 AM
Feb 19, 2009 7:14 AM

Jan 2008
forlacik said:
You need to chill a bit, Cihan.

I'm eating tacos and drinking Japanese beer. I'm too chilled right now, thats my problem!

Also, another thing: People harping on about reviewer's numbers are forgetting that often all of these reviewers have totally wacky numbers all over the place, it's just not consistent, so I dont know wtf you're going to take from all that. I mean you go onto an anime's page to get a feel for what people think of the story, and then you see everyone's given it anything from 1 to 10. How's that going to help you? The only thing that's gonna help you is reading actual opinions.

So anyway. No hard feelings Antanaru, I'm just drinking too much right now.

Beer anyone?
Feb 19, 2009 7:15 AM

Aug 2008
If you don't want to accept numbers in reviews then why the hell would you acknowledge review itself? It's the same thing, if rating by numbers is bad than whole idea of reviewing anything also. Than let's just remove all reviews and recommendations from mal because they all are subjective and oh wow - written by strangers.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 19, 2009 7:19 AM

Feb 2008
Somethings are just better expressed with WORDS and rather than with numbers.
Feb 19, 2009 7:20 AM

Jan 2008
Antanaru said:
If you don't want to accept numbers in reviews then why the hell would you acknowledge review itself? It's the same thing, if rating by numbers is bad than whole idea of reviewing anything also. Than let's just remove all reviews and recommendations from mal because they all are subjective and oh wow - written by strangers.

Aha! But I didnt say I didnt want 'overall' numbers though. Just like how we all rate anime in our anime lists. Thats fine, so one number in a review is enough. I've already said that in this thread.

Not that reviews without numbers arent bad in of themselves either. There are plenty of music magazines out there with no number ratings, just reviewer opinions. I like 'em.

I dont understand your stranger/removing everything jibe either. I was just saying that if you pay so much attention to random peoples rankings, why not pay attention to their reviews? They spent time and effort writing them, do them a favour and just skim it! You'll learn more from their review than a few numbers, thats for sure. I know some of you dont have 60 seconds to spare, but if you skim paragraph to paragraph you'll be able to read why they gave their scores for animation or whatnot, in about 30 seconds.

Gah, I'm going in circles now anyway. My alcohol's running out too. :(
Feb 19, 2009 7:23 AM

Jul 2008
Nayah said:
Somethings are just better expressed with WORDS and rather than with numbers.

Whats your point? Obviously words express things better than numbers, otherwise we wouldn't have the actual reviews. Most of the time people don't want to know why something is good or not though, they just want to know if it's good or not. That's where the numbers come in.
Feb 19, 2009 7:26 AM

Jan 2008
Touka said:
Whats your point? Obviously words express things better than numbers, otherwise we wouldn't have the actual reviews. Most of the time people don't want to know why something is good or not though, they just want to know if it's good or not. That's where the numbers come in.

*coughmemberstatscough*
Feb 19, 2009 7:30 AM

May 2007
...On a side note, did we have to go to a broken system from one that was not broken?
Feb 19, 2009 7:41 AM

Oct 2007
What I like about this system:

The ability to favorite reviews and recommendations

My complaints:

The inability to use bold in reviews
The number scores gone from the reviews
The reviews and recommendations moving to the top of the profile page
Feb 19, 2009 7:49 AM

Jul 2008
Cihan said:
Touka said:

*coughmemberstatscough*

The member stats are just the same as looking at the overall rating. I'm on about the ratings for animation, story, etc that you could only find in the reviews. Those are the things people want to know are good or not.
Feb 19, 2009 7:51 AM

May 2007
Touka said:
You say that you look at the ratings first, and go on to read the review to see why the reviewer has rated accordingly. Then you proceed to say that this new way of having only the overall score will encourage people to read the review to see why a person has given it that score. Isn't that the same thing that you said earlier about reading the review to see why a reviewer has rated it accordingly. It's no different - the new way doesn't encourage anyone to read a review.

Yes, I did say that the first thing that catches my eyes are the numerical ratings for the categories. But I never stated that was the only thing, now did I? Even when somebody will rate something all 10's or all 1's, if the reviewer has written a good review, I will read it to try to understand why they rated it as such. Then again, if there is a show that I'm interested in watching, but don't know too much about it, I will read a review regardless of the ratings, as long as the review is written informatively.

Touka said:
In fact it probably does the opposite. People who are maybe looking for an anime with phenomenal animation will no longer be able to pinpoint anything, since they can no longer just take a glance the ratings. Before, however, they would be able to see what series have recieved good ratings for the animation, then they could proceed to read the review knowing it's what they want to read about. How are they going to find out what series has good animation now when they can only see the overall score.

Yes, I realize this point, which I pretty much implied in my previous post when I said that I look at the sub-categories.

Touka said:
It won't encourage them to read a review, it's more like forcing them too since the only way to find out the ratings now is by reading the reviews.

Whether they are forced or do it out of interest, they will end up reading the review, amirite?

Touka said:
Plus after they've read all that, the animation might not even be that good.

This is not even pertinent to the topic at hand, because if the animation is not as good as the review is leading one to believe, the problem lies in the reviewer themselves and not the system.

Touka said:
At the end of the day, the only people who are going to read a review are the ones that actually want to. The reality is that most people on this website are just interested in the numbers. It's not like removing the ratings is going to change the way people decide to do their reviews either. The reviews are still the same as they were before, even people who hate numbers like Cihan never did actually have to look at them, they can just choose to read the review. A good review is a good review, a bad review is a bad review. Numbers don't have an influence on the review, they're just a very help extra.

I pretty much bolded the important points of that last segment. In the end, people are used to the rating system to change and to some extent, I agree with Cihan - people get too bogged down with numbers. Numbers are pretty much meaningless without units after them describing the numerical value of what we have. The same can be said with reviews. So you rated a show 10. Justify it. In the end, I want to see why.

Don't get me wrong, I like the old system. But I also can see why the new system was implemented.
VK11Feb 19, 2009 7:55 AM
Feb 19, 2009 7:56 AM

Jun 2007
Touka said:
The member stats are just the same as looking at the overall rating. I'm on about the ratings for animation, story, etc that you could only find in the reviews. Those are the things people want to know are good or not.

It's not like all those 9's and 10's on animation and sound were thoroughly analyzed by reviewers. Neither that people rate those the same way, some could be comparing to series released on the same year, or just throwing 10's just for it working. You would still need to read the review to understand if it was a thoughtful rating or pure fanboyism. Which isn't 100% guaranteed either, but as said so many times, words speak better than numbers.
Feb 19, 2009 8:05 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Individual scores for reviews will be re-added, but initially hidden. I haven't decided how yet, but you'll have to click something to see the individual scores for said review.

Keep the suggestions coming people. I definitely want the 'majority' of people happy with the changes.
Feb 19, 2009 8:05 AM

Jul 2008
vindemon64 said:
Yes, I did say that the first thing that catches my eyes are the numerical ratings for the categories. But I never stated that was the only thing, now did I? Even when somebody will rate something all 10's or all 1's, if the reviewer has written a good review, I will read it to try to understand why they rated it as such. Then again, if there is a show that I'm interested in watching, but don't know too much about it, I will read a review regardless of the ratings, as long as the review is written informatively.

Exactly, either way you'll read the review if you want to. The fact that we only get to see the overall rating now makes no difference.

vindemon64 said:
Whether they are forced or do it out of interest, they will end up reading the review, amirite?

But there is a difference between being encouraged to and being forced to.

vindemon64 said:
This is not even pertinent to the topic at hand, because if the animation is not as good as the review is leading one to believe, the problem lies in the reviewer themselves and not the system.

Maybe I typed that bad. What I'm saying is that since the ratings for animation can no longer be seen, the review will have to be read if you want to find out what the animation is like. You could find out if the animation was decent or not in on glance before, but now you'll have to read about it to find out. After it has been read, the animation might turn out to be nothing special at all, so it was a waste of time. Basically, things were a lot easier with the other ratings.

vindemon64 said:
I pretty much bolded the important points of that last segment. In the end, people are used to the rating system to change and to some extent, I agree with Cihan - people get too bogged down with numbers. Numbers are pretty much meaningless without units after them describing the numerical value of what we have. The same can be said with reviews. So you rated a show 10. Justify it.

The fact in the matter is though, people do justify why they have given such ratings. The ratings, as stated before, are just guidelines, and nice extra for those who want a quick rough answer without having to read the review.

Retsu-kun said:
Touka said:

It's not like all those 9's and 10's on animation and sound were thoroughly analyzed by reviewers. Neither that people rate those the same way, some could be comparing to series released on the same year, or just throwing 10's just for it working. You would still need to read the review to understand if it was a thoughtful rating or pure fanboyism. Which isn't 100% guaranteed either, but as said so many times, words speak better than numbers.

That's why you look at the majority of reviews and estimate an average. Easy, fast, simple and it works.

Xinil said:
Individual scores for reviews will be re-added, but initially hidden. I haven't decided how yet, but you'll have to click something to see the individual scores for said review.

Keep the suggestions coming people. I definitely want the 'majority' of people happy with the changes.

Well that pretty much ends all the debate about ratings. *Thank god*

If only BBCode was re-added then I'd be completely happy with the changes.

SUGGESTION
It would be nice if you could find out how many reviews you have written without counting them yourself. Like the recommendations tab has 'Total Recommendations' at the top, a 'Total Reviews' would be nice.

Also, you could have a little plus next to the 'Overall Rating' that reveals/hides the other ratings if clicked.
ToukaFeb 19, 2009 8:19 AM
Feb 19, 2009 8:14 AM

Dec 2007
Xinil said:

*insert happy*

Now... Some BBCode... I don't say URL or Spoiler... But Bold and Italics really don't hurt.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 19, 2009 8:37 AM

Mar 2008
Since you're looking for input, here's mine:

Show the scoring breakdown.
If we want to see it, it's there. If we don't, then don't look at it.

Allow very limited BBcode use in reviews if possible (e.g. only bold, italics, and underline).

Thanks for the hard work.
Feb 19, 2009 8:48 AM

Jan 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Now... Some BBCode... I don't say URL or Spoiler... But Bold and Italics really don't hurt.

Yes.

ShootTheBullet said:
Allow very limited BBcode use in reviews if possible (e.g. only bold, italics, and underline).

And yes.

Random Suggestion: Order (your own and others) reviews by date, helpfuls, and last helpfulled?

You cant go wrong by just throwing as many options and customisation at users, as in the 'you want scores? Dont want them? Have both!' decision you seem to have made above.
Feb 19, 2009 8:49 AM

May 2007
Xinil said:

Maybe as a profile option? I don't really want to click a button to see the individual scores in this era of laziness. Still wanting BBCode back (well, at least the part with underline, bold and italics.)
Feb 19, 2009 8:49 AM

Oct 2007
ladyxzeus said:

Agreed.

Touka said:

It would be nice if you could find out how many reviews you have written without counting them yourself. Like the recommendations tab has 'Total Recommendations' at the top, a 'Total Reviews' would be nice.

Also put the number on the profile page next to the Reviews/Recommendations tabs. The way it is now, you have to click the tab to see if someone has written any.
Feb 19, 2009 8:53 AM

Aug 2007
Edit: Now that I've actually looked at some reviews and toyed with this new feature, let me comment on this a little. I've stated many times that I don't really put much behind numerical reviews because I don't believe numbers can explain a complex opinion such as my feeling towards a specific anime. However, I feel that the overall rating doesn't stand out enough. I think it should at least be bold or something.

I don't really mind removing category scores, though they were slightly useful from time to time. It encouraged a lot of reviews in the format Art xx/10: ......, Sound xx/10...... . I'm guilty of it on occasion but it's not very professional to split a review and talk about each topic separately. A review should flow as a whole and focus on specific merits and shortcomings of an anime.

Favoriting reviews looks like fun. But yeah, I suggest bolding the overall score in reviews. I suggest removing the picture from the review when viewing the review on the anime page because it just clutters the text even more. Plus, the picture is the same for every subsequent review so it just looks bad. The same goes for having the title of the anime in the header of the review on the anime's page. I just don't think its necessary to tell us what anime this is a review of if we are already reading this from the anime's page.

That's just my two cents. It's a little cluttered but there are some unessential elements that I think you can get rid of to declutter it.
kevoFeb 19, 2009 9:07 AM
Feb 19, 2009 9:05 AM

Mar 2008
no more BB Code!?!?! that's the end of the world for me!

the tabs on our own profile is a nice addition... but the reviews without BB code can be quite troublesome (not really refering to bold/italics, but links)
KaminaKaiFeb 19, 2009 9:12 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

231 by ParadiseSukai »»
May 6, 11:57 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.