Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about rape or "forced acts" in anime

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Nov 5, 2013 11:40 AM

Apr 2013
moshimoshikitty said:

It's not surprising that you don't know what it is. Basically Farenheit 451 is a book about a society where all books are burned. This, as explained in the quotation above, is due to people getting offended at certain things portrayed in books. This led to people printing less and less controversial books, eventually leading to everyone just burning all books.

When I said previously that you'd want to turn this into Fahrenheit 451, I was referring to the book burning because you were offended by the rape portrayed in manga/anime.

Also, put spoiler tags on quote towers or you'll be reported
Nov 5, 2013 11:43 AM

Nov 2013
Cupquake said:
moshimoshikitty said:

It's not surprising that you don't know what it is. Basically Farenheit 451 is a book about a society where all books are burned. This, as explained in the quotation above, is due to people getting offended at certain things portrayed in books. This led to people printing less and less controversial books, eventually leading to everyone just burning all books.

When I said previously that you'd want to turn this into Fahrenheit 451, I was referring to the book burning because you were offended by the rape portrayed in manga/anime.

stupidfucker said:
Screw you, 'moshimoshikitty', you fucked up my thread.

Nov 5, 2013 11:48 AM

Apr 2012
dont need rape scenes, but when they are serious and for the story/charakter development its ok for me but its lazy writing. Not that original...

I am still loughing about that guy who said in one of the Freezing Vibration Threads, that 4 from 5 ppl __enjoying__ rape scenes

I only thought that i dont wanna live on this earth anymore if this is true.
NiQue_Nov 5, 2013 11:52 AM
Nov 5, 2013 11:51 AM

Apr 2013
moshimoshikitty said:
Cupquake said:
moshimoshikitty said:

Ok, my point was that there's no way to please everyone. I'm pretty sure some people were very offended by Game of Thrones, especially how Game of Thrones glorifies incest and rape. Yet the way Game of Thrones uses rape and incest is so fucking effective. And there's rape in pretty much every chapter.

Though you do have a point.
Nov 5, 2013 11:56 AM

Aug 2012
phreeak said:
I am still loughing about that guy who said in one of the Freezing Vibration Threads, that 4 from 5 ppl __enjoying__ rape scenes
That's fine. To each their own. You can't stop people from enjoying fantasy, but you should become worried if and when their fantasy becomes their reality.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Nov 5, 2013 11:58 AM

Nov 2013
Cupquake said:
moshimoshikitty said:
Cupquake said:
moshimoshikitty said:

Ok, my point was that there's no way to please everyone. I'm pretty sure some people were very offended by Game of Thrones, especially how Game of Thrones glorifies incest and rape. Yet the way Game of Thrones uses rape and incest is so fucking effective. And there's rape in pretty much every chapter.

Though you do have a point.

I know the way I could have come across in this thread is stuck up and annoying, but the people around me also have to understand my strong feelings about it. I agree with the points on you can't please everyone and they can stay away from it. I mean, you're probably not gonna watch at least one anime that doesn't have some kind of unacceptable rape scene, but I think if I ever came across a anime that portrayed raped as a joke? That would just disgust me. I feel bad for the horrible events people have to go through in life and then other people around them laugh at it. I mean the reason I'm home schooled is because I used to be a Emo shit that cut myself, but on top of that being bullied in school. It's just all laughter until you experience it so there is things I feel strongly about that other people might just look at and say meh. I see your point though.
stupidfucker said:

Nov 5, 2013 12:01 PM

Nov 2013
gamer2710 said:
phreeak said:
That's fine. To each their own. You can't stop people from enjoying fantasy, but you should become worried if and when their fantasy becomes their reality.

This, this, this. The one thing I do support is fantasy. Absolutely no one can get hurt of the voices and images of your own mind.
stupidfucker said:

Nov 5, 2013 12:02 PM

Apr 2013
moshimoshikitty said:
gamer2710 said:
phreeak said:

This, this, this. The one thing I do support is fantasy. Absolutely no one can get hurt of the voices and images of your own mind.

Though I think anyone that would be influenced to rape people from anime probably had some sort of pre-existing problem.
Nov 5, 2013 12:03 PM

Apr 2012
gamer2710 said:
phreeak said:

as long its their fantasy.... but its not turning me on. dont need rape scenes for my enjoyment.
Nov 5, 2013 12:04 PM

May 2013
The only one I've seen (or remember anyway) is in Btooom!, and I think that was done very well.
Nov 5, 2013 12:17 PM

Nov 2013
Cupquake said:
moshimoshikitty said:

Probably a shitload.
stupidfucker said:

Feb 1, 2014 4:42 PM
Feb 2014
moshimoshikitty said:
Cupquake said:
LevailRenn said:
I think when rape is used as character development it's stupid.

I disagree, especially when it relates to mental trauma, I believe it provides a more compelling backstory.

I almost always like rape in anime, with the exception of Diabolik Lovers becasue that anime is just...ugh.

It may compel a back story, but it's the typical cliche attention drawing technique used for a over sympathetic story line that most of the time is just used for added drama. I haven't seen a anime where rape is actually covered down to a emotional, touching level opposed to where I've seen it used as comedy, or sexual gratification. If it's not one of those two it's either just thrown into the story for added character. It's all just distasteful and sloppy to me. On a personal level a anime that is actually trying to connect with the level of rape, I will applaud them. Most of the days it's just thrown in there for multiple careless reasons. I second with you on the mental trauma part.

I know this isn't quite what this thread is about but the manga mars deals with the effects of rape on somebody quite handily, and it's never depicted as something sexy or anything like that.
Feb 1, 2014 4:50 PM

Mar 2013
i fucking hate it when they make a girl get raped or almost raped to try and make you feel bad for her then the very next episode use her for fanservice. btoom and future diary did this a ton and it just pisses me off
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 1, 2014 5:08 PM

Jun 2012
mattbenz99 said:
i fucking hate it when they make a girl get raped or almost raped to try and make you feel bad for her then the very next episode use her for fanservice. btoom and future diary did this a ton and it just pisses me off

I've been iffy on watching Mirai Nikki for a while now, and seeing your comment makes me want to watch it even less.
Feb 1, 2014 5:08 PM
Aug 2013
it's fine only if it doesn't imply cheatin on somebody,or when the rapist is a girl cause it's stupid.
Feb 1, 2014 5:26 PM

Sep 2013
mattbenz99 said:

I dislike rape portrayal in general, but in Btoom after seeing the ecchi cover and watching the first 5 minutes of episode 1 I already knew how this will end up. Insta drop.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Feb 1, 2014 5:27 PM

May 2012
The only anime I've seen that portrayed rape in a manner that wasn't completely tasteless was Now and Then, Here and There.
tsuinteru said:
it's fine only if it doesn't imply cheatin on somebody,or when the rapist is a girl cause it's stupid.

What the fuck?
Feb 1, 2014 5:35 PM

Mar 2013
Shuhan said:
mattbenz99 said:

I've been iffy on watching Mirai Nikki for a while now, and seeing your comment makes me want to watch it even less.

the show is not bad it just is not great. if you are looking for an action packed show to just sit down and enjoy then future diary is fine just dont expect too much complexity

Shiratori99 said:
mattbenz99 said:

I dislike rape portrayal in general, but in Btoom after seeing the ecchi cover and watching the first 5 minutes of episode 1 I already knew how this will end up. Insta drop.

in episode 2 they introduce a girl who saw her friends get raped and was almost raped herself. they tried to make her situation tragic by using that but they just threw that away with the giant amount of fanservice they used her for
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 1, 2014 5:47 PM
Dec 2013
I think it's stupid.
Feb 1, 2014 6:41 PM

Dec 2012
the same as how i feel about it in real life. But sometimes it really is part of the story and not just used for fanservice.
In Btoom, it was kind of there so you will understand why she distrusts men so much. But yeah, that scene was f*cking disgusting... i fast forwarded it, even though i already watched the majority of it by then ._. (I almost dropped it from that, but i decided to watch the third episode and come to a decision. That episode was good, so I kept watching.)
But it was part of the story. Her traumatic experience got her to be very afraid of men. And then she slowly gains trust for guys after being with Ryouta ^.^ So it was kind of meaningful... i don't like the fanservice though.

And i think the same goes for Mirrai Nikki, even though I'm not a huge fan of that show...
Feb 1, 2014 6:46 PM

Mar 2013
Mellorox9 said:
the same as how i feel about it in real life. But sometimes it really is part of the story and not just used for fanservice.
In Btoom, it was kind of there so you will understand why she distrusts men so much. But yeah, that scene was f*cking disgusting... i fast forwarded it, even though i already watched the majority of it by then ._. (I almost dropped it from that, but i decided to watch the third episode and come to a decision. That episode was good, so I kept watching.)
But it was part of the story. Her traumatic experience got her to be very afraid of men. And then she slowly gains trust for guys after being with Ryouta ^.^ So it was kind of meaningful... i don't like the fanservice though.

And i think the same goes for Mirrai Nikki, even though I'm not a huge fan of that show...

remember the scene where the bomb bounced off her boobs and didnt detonate? i for a second actually thought that it didnt detonate because of it bouncing off her boobs and was expecting it to blow up as soon as it hit the ground. lol but too bad that didnt happen.

Feb 1, 2014 6:48 PM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:
Mellorox9 said:

remember the scene where the bomb bounced off her boobs and didnt detonate? i for a second actually thought that it didnt detonate because of it bouncing off her boobs and was expecting it to blow up as soon as it hit the ground. lol but too bad that didnt happen.

yeah, the bouncing off her boobs part wasn't necessary :P
Feb 1, 2014 6:51 PM

Mar 2013
Mellorox9 said:
mattbenz99 said:
Mellorox9 said:

yeah, the bouncing off her boobs part wasn't necessary :P

yep and that scene managed to take any sympathy i still had for her at that point and throw it out the window. i just cant feel bad for someone if you constantly sexualize them

Feb 1, 2014 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
As long as it's portrayed seriously & maturely (no fanservice after or used as a silly plot element) I don't mind it. I don't approve of the act itself by any means, but unfortunately it does happen thus I don't mind seeing it in anime, video games or anything else like that, so long as it adheres to what I said in the beginning of my post.
Feb 1, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2013
it depends
Feb 1, 2014 8:07 PM

Apr 2012
I rather dont like it, at least when its done seriously. If its done in a comedic manner I dont mind tough as long as it makes me laugh everything is accaptable.
But when done in a serious show its usually just a cheap and lazy way to add drama to a characters story.
Feb 1, 2014 8:11 PM

Mar 2012
baki502 said:
I rather dont like it, at least when its done seriously. If its done in a comedic manner I dont mind tough as long as it makes me laugh everything is accaptable.
But when done in a serious show its usually just a cheap and lazy way to add drama to a characters story.
I think you're a little mixed up...
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 1, 2014 8:21 PM

Nov 2012
Rape as it's used in most of today's anime ie. raping the sister because she's cute is stupid. If it's used as a method of furthering the story that's fine. If it's used as a part of world building, even better; just don't glorify it. Rape as a method of character development is generally lazy, but can be used to work in their favour if done right ie. not Btooom!.
Feb 1, 2014 8:27 PM

Nov 2011
From what Ive seen most anime dont use rape very well at all. Its almost always done cheaply or in a fanservicey way.
The Art of Eight
Feb 1, 2014 8:47 PM

Jun 2013
Not enough tentacle these days imo.
Feb 1, 2014 8:51 PM

Feb 2013
I just remembered Koi Suru Boukun. It gives me mixed feelings. Like I feel sorry for him, but at the same time, I don't.

Feb 1, 2014 9:09 PM

Mar 2012
If they have some maturity about themselves and justify the use of it then I'm okay with it.

But if they romanticise it, shove it in just for shock value and/or forced drama or fetishise it then that's not okay
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

226 by Jackson1333 »»
7 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

68 by ToG25thBaam »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

37 by xqXpx »»
8 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by deg »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.