Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 27, 2013 2:59 PM

Aug 2013
(I haven't seen a thread on this yet, so if there is one, then sorry for the repetition)
It's beyond me why this ending gets so much hate. From what I understand, even the author of the original manga thought highly of it, and that's saying a lot!
Yes, I know that it isn't perfect, as there are a few flaws if I were to nitpick, but besides that, I found it pretty damn solid. Is it just because people liked Brotherhood's ending better? (Note that I haven't watched Brotherhood or Conquerer of Shambala yet)
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Oct 27, 2013 9:12 PM

Aug 2013
Bump
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Oct 30, 2013 12:25 PM

Jan 2013
Because shonen fans are basically still children. And like children they like everything to have a princess fairy tail ending and as much cheesy sugar coating as possible.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Nov 1, 2013 7:09 AM

Sep 2008
I think it was because the ending was too open ended, and people, especially shounen fans (as MajinSaga pointed out) want closure to their stories.

When i was watching it, I was warned about the ending. A lot of people seemed to hate it. But when i finished it, I liked it a lot. I felt that the movie was unneeded and everything should have been left just like it was, cuz sometimes loose ends in stories tickle your imagination and you keep coming up with your own answers and theories. And sometimes that's a good thing. I can't think of a good example, but its like Pan's Labyrinth, which was close ended but it presented two different perspective from which you could view things.

A good example is Angel the TV show, which was prematurely cancelled but Joss Whedon managed to come up with a brilliant ending shot fitting in nicely with the theme of the whole show, the never ending conflict between good and evil.

There are other examples, like Lost, twelve monkeys, Inception, the zodiac etc
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 1, 2013 7:20 AM

Apr 2013
I absolutely loved the ending and I consider it much much better than the cheesy one Brotherhood got. Also, I agree with koreye in saying that Conqueror of Shamballa was unneeded.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 1, 2013 7:21 AM

Apr 2007
The ending of the anime was fine.

Conqueror of Shamballa was not.
Nov 1, 2013 4:57 PM

Aug 2013
ona said:

Huh. And yeah, I really liked the ending. Goes with my belief that FMA really does exceed its target audience.
Off topic, but is Conqueror of Shamballa even worth watching?
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Nov 1, 2013 4:59 PM

Sep 2011
I thought the ending to the anime was fantastic, i just wish it had ended there, Conqueror of shamballa made it too happy

still the bittersweet ending is one of a few reasons why i prefer 2003 to brotherhood

StillSwingin007 said:
ona said:

Huh. And yeah, I really liked the ending. Goes with my belief that FMA really does exceed its target audience.

its kind of mandatory, its a sequel and conclusion to everything, im not the biggest fan of it as i think it took away some of the punch left behind by the main series, but you do need to watch it in order to complete the series truly

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 1, 2013 5:15 PM

May 2013
ona said:

I think Conqueror of Shamballa is one reason why some people didn't like the ending. As I remembered, I think a preview for Conqueror of Shamballa was shown immediately after episode 51 ended in Japan. I think that made some people view the ending as a cliffhanger that leads to an movie instead of a real ending. As a couple of people have noted, the real ending to this series is in Conqueror of Shamballa
Conan_KudoNov 2, 2013 3:43 PM
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Nov 2, 2013 11:33 PM

Sep 2008
StillSwingin007 said:
ona said:

I liked Shamballa actually. It had some really well choreographed action sequences and an interesting take on alternate history. But the end is not as satisfying as episode 51, despite the fact that they tie up the loose ends. The whole movie is fine, and it almost ends in a cliffhanger itself (don't want to spoil) but turns in to a happy ending right up in its final moments.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 2, 2013 2:06 PM
May 2013
Glad I found a forum on this topic. I really think it's because people just want to see a happy ending to everything kind of situation, which is ridiculous. The ending suited the series very well and was a good one. It was very realistic given their situation and showed that life doesn't always have a happy ending and sometimes things just end badly no matter what. Given that Ed and Al lost their bodies/limbs and the journey/odds they went through, the fact they achieved so much is still an achievement but goes to show they couldn't fix everything and restore it to the way it was. Overall, very sad ending.
Dec 2, 2013 5:41 PM

Aug 2013
koreye said:
StillSwingin007 said:
ona said:

I liked Shamballa actually. It had some really well choreographed action sequences and an interesting take on alternate history. But the end is not as satisfying as episode 51, despite the fact that they tie up the loose ends. The whole movie is fine, and it almost ends in a cliffhanger itself (don't want to spoil) but turns in to a happy ending right up in its final moments.

I didn't really like Shamballa, after watching it. I doesn't really take away from the series, or make it worse, but episode 51 was a far more impactful conclusion.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Dec 2, 2013 5:57 PM

Nov 2010
I hated the ending, even before I watched Brotherhood. It just didn't fit and felt like a copout. Don't know how to resolve anything in the plot, give it a wtf ending and watch people call it unique and deep. That on top of the rest of the anime is why I'm only able to give FMA a 6(might just change it to a 5 now that I realize it isn't at it).
Mar 25, 2014 8:00 AM

Aug 2013
rpool179 said:
The ending suited the series very well and was a good one. It was very realistic given their situation and showed that life doesn't always have a happy ending and sometimes things just end badly no matter what. Given that Ed and Al lost their bodies/limbs and the journey/odds they went through, the fact they achieved so much is still an achievement but goes to show they couldn't fix everything and restore it to the way it was.

Exactly. Also, the entire theme that the story revolves around is The Law of Equivalent Exchange. To obtain, one must give something of equal value. It applied in both alchemy and in the lives of the characters, and that ending showed it.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Mar 27, 2014 12:07 PM

Sep 2013
Just finished watching it and the ending was perfect, I really can't understand how people can say: "Forget about the original, just watch the Brotherhood one". I'm giving a time and then will start brotherhood, but man the Original's ending was awesome. And this thing of most shonen fans being kids, when I was a kid and saw Dragon Ball's ending and asked myself what exactly happened to Goku I didn't hate the anime, can't understand nowadays kids... Of course Dragon Ball didn't have a so opened ending like FMA, but c'mon, if you hate it because you want to know a precise ending, then you actually freaking love it for wanting so badly this ending. Let'em complain xD
Apr 3, 2014 9:45 AM
May 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
rpool179 said:
The ending suited the series very well and was a good one. It was very realistic given their situation and showed that life doesn't always have a happy ending and sometimes things just end badly no matter what. Given that Ed and Al lost their bodies/limbs and the journey/odds they went through, the fact they achieved so much is still an achievement but goes to show they couldn't fix everything and restore it to the way it was.

Exactly. Also, the entire theme that the story revolves around is The Law of Equivalent Exchange. To obtain, one must give something of equal value. It applied in both alchemy and in the lives of the characters, and that ending showed it.

Hey man, glad to see someone else agreeing on the ending of the original Fullmetal Alchemist. I think shounen fans really do just want some happily ever after and sugar coated ending to everything like someone in a post above said. You're right, the ending and show overall exceeds the depth and understanding of many who watch it and just dismiss it as being inferior to Brotherhood and not worth the time, which is ridiculous. Even the ending of Conqueror of Shamballa was still sad since even though Ed and Al are reunited, they are still cut off from their home and will never get to see Winry and Pinako again who are the only family they had left. I loved Brotherhood but the original is my favorite for how deep it was an the darker tone. It explored so many themes of human society and the world in general.
Apr 3, 2014 2:09 PM
Dec 2013
It didn't end with Winry and Ed ending up together, so I automatically disliked it.

Nah, not really but that's one of the reasons.
Dec 12, 2014 2:12 AM

Jan 2014
A lot of people fail to see the thematic intent behind this ending and hate it, loving Brotherhood's instead because happy ending.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.