Forum Settings
Forums

What would you do when your friend owes you money but won't pay back?

New
Read topic title
Talk to him/her properly
39.5%
Beat him/her up
19.8%
Beg
0.0%
Blackmail
9.9%
Steal it back
7.4%
Tell your parents/teachers
2.5%
Just forget about it
21.0%
81 votes
Oct 20, 2013 1:39 AM

Apr 2013
A friend of mine owes me money but she wont pay me back, she's always making excuses like saying that she will pay me back the next week. My problem is I'm too nice to do anything other than talk to her properly. So if you're in the same situation. What would you do? Or if you have already experienced it. What did you do?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 20, 2013 1:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I keep nagging them 24/7, during the day at school, during the evening/weekends via Skype etc, eventually they'll become too annoyed and fed up with and give up :>
Oct 20, 2013 1:54 AM

Oct 2013
Blackmail.

Just stop being friends until they pay back. They were gonna keep using you anyway, so you may as well cut them off. And forget about the money; you ain't gettin' it back.
EgoFaptor is written all over this!
Oct 20, 2013 1:58 AM

Jun 2008
I'll tel them to give my money back. If they don't after telling them a few times i will start not wanting to be as close to them anymore.
Oct 20, 2013 2:04 AM
Apr 2013
My friends usually dont owe me money. Even if they do, they will pay it back immediately. Yes, I choose my friends based on how responsible they are and their character.
Oct 20, 2013 2:25 AM

May 2013
I don't trust any one enough to lend money in the first place.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Oct 20, 2013 2:27 AM

Jun 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZomwVcGt0LE

I would pretty much do this^
Playin with my money is like playin with my emotions
Oct 20, 2013 2:31 AM

Nov 2012
Just about how much money are we speaking? What is her living situation? How much money do you own? How good of a friends are you? Shit like this matters.
Oct 20, 2013 2:35 AM

Jan 2011
Nagging is the best option, she comes to you hand you extend your hand asking for the money. Also that's not a friend.
Oct 20, 2013 2:40 AM

Dec 2012
I stab the fuck.

Oct 20, 2013 2:42 AM

Apr 2013
Just about how much money are we speaking?

About 38 dollars +

What is her living situation?

Average. I'm also at the average level.

How good of a friends are you?

The very best.

She just turned just like those swag teenagers this month. Maybe that's why...
Oct 20, 2013 2:44 AM

Aug 2010
Stab her in the ass with a fork!

But before you do that..
depends how much money, depends how deep your friendship is and how much you value it. Amazing what can end a friendship these days.

If it's like 5 dollars then it aint worth the hassle, what comes around goes around.
If we talking like anything 15-20 above then you stab her ass with a fork.

No I'm just kidding,
Blackmail her, threaten to spill something her family wouldn't want her to know but you will lose your friendship in the process.
Talk to her and tell her how you feel and ask for smaller payments.
Or you could go tell her parents but where's your proof?
Best thing i say is to just stab her ass with a fork.
Or of course, leave it to karma and hope she get's hit by a bus.

No but seriously, if you know she wont pay you best thing to do is man up, or lady up, and tell her to pay you, that either she does or your friendship wont be the same ever again and if she decided to not pay she wasn't a true friend to begin with.
Or if you really want your money then just talk to her like a grown up and tell her you need it and she has to take responsibility and to pay you little by little if she has to.
You have to be stern.
Oct 20, 2013 2:47 AM
Jun 2012
if you lend your money to your friend, you will lose both your money and your friend...
Oct 20, 2013 2:53 AM

Oct 2012
MaffleWaffle said:
My problem is I'm too nice to do anything other than talk to her properly.
The first thing to do is to stop fooling yourself that you're "nice" and to take responsibility.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 20, 2013 3:02 AM

Apr 2013
OkumuraRin said:
*snip
Stabbing someone's ass with a fork is too violent for me and I don't like violence.

Blackmailing is out of the option too because I'm not that devious.

Ladying up (if that's a word) is out too cause whenever I get the chance to talk to her there is always people around us and I get nervous quickly whenever there's a crowd. If I where to lady up people around might notice and some commotion might start and I'm afraid of that happening.

But still stabbing her ass with a fork sounds good. Maybe I'll do that with a mask on.

elite-sama said:
MaffleWaffle said:
The first thing to do is to stop fooling yourself that you're "nice" and to take responsibility.
It's not that easy to change.
Oct 20, 2013 3:08 AM

Jul 2013
I'd forget about it, but never lend them money again... maybe.
I just never have the courage to face people in situations like that.
Oct 20, 2013 3:21 AM
Jun 2012
actually if you're what you make out to be, you are a pretty nice guy to take advantage of. i see shes taking advantage of you. too bad, you have lost the money and a friend. or maybe she wasn't a 'friend' to begin with.

so whats the lesson learned? don't ever lend your friends money. 38 bucks for a lesson, quite worth it. some lessons are more expensive.
Oct 20, 2013 3:21 AM

May 2013
_Chimo said:
I'd forget about it, but never lend them money again... maybe.
I just never have the courage to face people in situations like that.
It's far too scary.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Oct 20, 2013 3:25 AM

Mar 2012
Just whack them in the head while you demand them to pay their debt.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 20, 2013 3:30 AM

Nov 2012
MaffleWaffle said:
She just turned just like those swag teenagers this month. Maybe that's why...
Do notice some * are we really still as good as friends as before you turned that way? * there?
Anyway how long has it been. Just keep nagging her about it. You're friends after all she probably will give in after some time. Losing your friend over some stupid money is no worth it.
johnyjohnyOct 20, 2013 4:29 AM
Oct 20, 2013 3:46 AM

Aug 2010
MaffleWaffle said:
OkumuraRin said:
*snip
Stabbing someone's ass with a fork is too violent for me and I don't like violence.

Blackmailing is out of the option too because I'm not that devious.

Ladying up (if that's a word) is out too cause whenever I get the chance to talk to her there is always people around us and I get nervous quickly whenever there's a crowd. If I where to lady up people around might notice and some commotion might start and I'm afraid of that happening.

But still stabbing her ass with a fork sounds good. Maybe I'll do that with a mask on.

Ask someone to do it for you? Or at least be there with you. It might give you the courage to speak up if there is a third person involved? A third trusty friend?
Oct 20, 2013 3:58 AM

Mar 2011
Dump their body in the river.
Oct 20, 2013 4:01 AM

Aug 2012
38$? Fuck, that's a lot! Better steal her phone and selling it without her knowing it, this process will even bring you a large amount of profit, probably.
Oct 20, 2013 4:02 AM

Nov 2011
If I was you I'd force her to pay me with her body.
I luv u
Oct 20, 2013 4:02 AM

Apr 2013
A little bit of torture usually makes them pay up.
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 20, 2013 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
If she's like "we're good friends so that's okay~" and does not even seem that bothered about returning you the money, just tell her sternly otherwise she'll keep on borrowing money from you. Don't lend her money in the meantime as well? I think she would just owe you more and more money if this continues.

I know of a case that is much worse than this. =/
Oct 20, 2013 5:11 AM

Apr 2011
It depends on how much did that person owes me.. If it's a lil, then I can wait patiently but if not, I'll just wait and beat that person in my mind all the time then muster up the courage to talk about the money :P

Oct 20, 2013 5:12 AM

Jul 2008
Talk to them nicely about it and I have experienced it. If your buddy owes you $500+ (after borrowing many times from you in 6 months) and still haven't return the money (most likely they forgot which is bad) then you gotta inform them even if it cause a crack in your friendship. Remember, a person who borrows money from you non-stop and never returns it is not a friend.

Sure you can be as forgiving and just let it slide as long as possible but there comes a time when a line is crossed.
Oct 20, 2013 5:26 AM

Apr 2009
MaffleWaffle said:

Talking is usually the right way to handle it, but you really need to be more firm and make it clear that you're not dealing with her bs anymore. Don't have a fight with her over $40, obviously, but yeah
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 20, 2013 5:37 AM

Apr 2013
Yeah maybe I should try to be more firm to her when I ask her to pay me back so that she will take it more seriously but the bad part is I know that she doesnt have enough money cause she always spends them right away >_<
Oct 20, 2013 5:38 AM
Apr 2013
MaffleWaffle said:
Yeah maybe I should try to be more firm to her when I ask her to pay me back so that she will take it more seriously but the bad part is I know that she doesnt have enough money cause she always spends them right away >_<

Then, that is her problem, not yours.
Oct 20, 2013 5:43 AM

Jun 2012
never lend money
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Oct 20, 2013 5:44 AM

Jul 2008
Regicide said:
never lend money
Haha easier said than done :)
Oct 20, 2013 5:47 AM

Apr 2013
worldeditor11 said:
MaffleWaffle said:

But her problem would become my problem.
Oct 20, 2013 5:51 AM

Jun 2012
ShanaFlame said:
Regicide said:
never lend money
Haha easier said than done :)

become more handsome and no one will approach you for money
that seems like a response some people would give on the mal forums
tho honestly you grow up without spending cash and you will find yourself at the grocery store wincing when you pay 25 dollars for a weeks food
lending cash or wasting it doesn't cross my mind

or maybe the op is so attractive that he must give out money to maintain his connections i don't know i aint got those problems
RegicideOct 20, 2013 6:01 AM
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Oct 20, 2013 5:56 AM
Apr 2013
MaffleWaffle said:
worldeditor11 said:
MaffleWaffle said:

It wont be if you dont lend the money to her in the first place. But since you did despite knowing her attitude towards money, then, you are the one who is contributing to the problem and not solving it. Be more stern if you are being uncomfortable of your "friend" owing you money without paying back. Tell her what is her problem politely and dont get carried over by emotion but persuade by reason. If she fail to listen, you might as well erase her from one your friend's list and forget about the money and move on with life.
Oct 20, 2013 6:07 AM

Mar 2012
Nothing.

Unless I knew that she was able to pay it back and simply was choosing not too, then I simply wouldn't lend her money again.

If it's because she had financial problems, I wouldn't ask for it back probably.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Oct 20, 2013 6:10 AM

Apr 2013
worldeditor11 said:
MaffleWaffle said:
worldeditor11 said:
MaffleWaffle said:

It wont be if you dont lend the money to her in the first place. But since you did despite knowing her attitude towards money, then, you are the one who is contributing to the problem and not solving it. Be more stern if you are being uncomfortable of your "friend" owing you money without paying back. Tell her what is her problem politely and dont get carried over by emotion but persuade by reason. If she fail to listen, you might as well erase her from one your friend's list and forget about the money and move on with life.
It's the first time I lent her money so I wouldnt know about her attitude towards money I just expected that the money I lent her is kinda big so I was sure she was gonna pay me and the fact that we are friends. Being stern is my next step on getting my money back but if everything else fails I might as well steal her money... An eye for an eye. But seriously maybe I would just forget about the money and her, it's tiring for me to nag at her whenever I see her and she's kinda avoiding me now so... yeah. I'll just stab her ass with a fork as revenge, I mean it's a good deal for her right? A stab in the ass for 38 dollars?
Oct 20, 2013 6:23 AM
Apr 2013
Whatever floats your boat. I probably shall mention this, if you did stab her on the bottom using a fork(or any sharp and pointy kitchenware you are able to find), you might get charged for assault and inflicting injury. So yeah, its not just 38 dollars. If she decides to report to the police, prepare yourself getting behind bars and having your face in front of the headlines of your local daily newspapers.

BREAKING NEWS
"BOY/GIRL STABS FRIEND OVER 38 DOLLARS"
Oct 20, 2013 6:25 AM

Aug 2012
Forgive them.

Edit: Posted the wrong parable. Give me some seconds.

Edit 2: Wow, that parable is apparently not very famous, but it has pretty much a lot to teach.

Matthew 18:21 - 35

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.[a]

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.[c] He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

There is your answer, OP.
lupadimOct 20, 2013 6:32 AM
Oct 20, 2013 6:25 AM

Aug 2010
worldeditor11 said:
Whatever floats your boat. I probably shall mention this, if you did stab her on the bottom using a fork(or any sharp and pointy kitchenware you are able to find), you might get charged for assault and inflicting injury. So yeah, its not just 38 dollars. If she decides to report to the police, prepare yourself getting behind bars and having your face in front of the headlines of your local daily newspapers.

BREAKING NEWS
"BOY/GIRL STABS FRIEND OVER 38 DOLLARS"

She's not serious...I hope :s
Oh no, I've created a monster..
Oct 20, 2013 6:28 AM

Apr 2013
OH MY G-WORD! MONEY, RAGE AND MAL HAVE BLINDED ME!

Well I could still tell her parents or mine and let the adults handle it but isn't it kinda wimpy?
Oct 20, 2013 6:30 AM

Aug 2010
MaffleWaffle said:

Well I could still tell her parents or mine and let the adults handle it but isn't it kinda wimpy?

Well this certainly isn't wimpy.

http://images.wikia.com/degrassi/images/8/8f/Bad-girls-club-bgc-bgc5-cat-fight-fight-Favim.com-231617.gif
Oct 20, 2013 6:32 AM

Aug 2012
MaffleWaffle said:

Just read my post.
Oct 20, 2013 6:33 AM

Jan 2013
I recently lent money to a friend but he paid back quite quickly. If he wasnt gna pay me, i would've stolen his wallet the next time we go out to eat.
Oct 20, 2013 6:34 AM
Aug 2012
What I would do with my good friends is wait till a party or whenever you go out next time, tell them to pay you by then and they'll pretty much have no excuse.
If they aren't the best of friends I'll just keep pestering them and tell my friends to keep pestering them.
Oct 20, 2013 6:35 AM

Apr 2013
Well I have decided that if she still doesn't pay me after having a serious talk I'll just forget about it and forgive her. I'll just treat this as a lesson for me and avoid the same situation happening again. But I was hoping more answers about other people here in MAL on what would they do in this situation and not about me but still I really appreciated it.

lupadim said:
*mega snip
O_O I didnt know lupadim knows the context of the bible
MaffleWaffleOct 20, 2013 6:41 AM
Oct 20, 2013 6:39 AM

Aug 2012
MaffleWaffle said:
Well I have decided that if she still doesn't pay me after having a serious talk I'll just forget about it and forgive her. I'll just treat this as a lesson for me and avoid the same situation happening again. But I was hoping more answers about other people here in MAL on what would they do in this situation and not about me but still I really appreciated it.
That is the best thing you are going to do. Congratulations, OP, you made the right decision.
Oct 20, 2013 7:02 AM

Oct 2009
drinkbeer said:
if you lend your money to your friend, you will lose both your money and your friend...

QFT.

MaffleWaffle said:

That's one less friend already.

In my situation I would talk it properly and hear his/her reason and set a due date. People take it easy because they feel like you'd be there saving their ass every time they need it, just let them know it all comes with a price. Maybe you should create an interest rate on your loan.
I always did this to my friends, even my own brother, lol. Usually I asked something in return, or borrow something from them as a collateral reminder.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

47 by Bruh69XD »»
8 seconds ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

45 by MasterTasuke »»
14 seconds ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

678 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

28 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 2 hours ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.