Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 14, 2013 11:48 PM
Jan 2010
Anyone? I decided to stop watching after the 2nd episode... because of all of those shots <_>
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2013 11:50 PM
Jul 2013
Too bad, you'll miss the final battle between Ryuko and Satsuki next episode.
Oct 14, 2013 11:58 PM

Mar 2011
but but boobies are really funny! I think Im laughing while Im fapping when I watch this show.

Raziel1991Oct 15, 2013 12:22 AM
Oct 15, 2013 12:43 AM
Aug 2008
I'm waiting for Gurren Lagann size of Galaxy.
Oct 15, 2013 12:43 AM

Apr 2013
Not this again....

The fanservice is absolutely ridiculous because it was meant to be, this show does not hold back and doesn't try to pretend to be deeper than it actually is.

And when it comes down to it, there are many shows with even more fanservice that at times tries to take itself seriously (Highschool of the Dead) which is even worse.
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 15, 2013 12:44 AM

Jan 2013
Naruhodo.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 15, 2013 12:50 AM

Dec 2012
Why do people always have to complain about fanservice? I don't se whats wrong with panty shots and big boobs (unless you find them disgusting/ugly for some odd reason).

If you think a show lacks other things such as a good plot / seriousness, then complain about those things instead -.-

Edit: Actually... I think I'll make my own thread for this
Oct 15, 2013 12:59 AM

Mar 2011
I see people are still using "its not taking itself seriously and the show is self aware of how ridiculous the fanservice is" excuse. I personally disagree with you guys. The fact this show is self aware of how dumb the fanservice is makes it even worse. Why? Because thats the main reason why characters are constantly throwing all those " OMG you are a pervert" lines which are completly cringe worthy and lets not forget how cliche and overused this line is in anime as well.
Raziel1991Oct 15, 2013 6:04 AM
Oct 15, 2013 1:00 AM

Jun 2007
The fanservice doesn't bother me as much as the cheap animation does - and that one there's no "it doesn't take itself seriously" excuse for.
Oct 15, 2013 1:52 AM

Jan 2010
So what if KLK gives fan service? A lot of other anime offers it too. Can't we just enjoy the actual story without complaining about the fan service? :/
lmfao
Oct 15, 2013 2:18 AM

Dec 2012
Doesn't bother me, the show is fun to watch and that's that.
Oct 15, 2013 2:31 AM
Sep 2011
Aside from the main appeal of fan service I feel like its inclusion in this series serves to create a very interesting dichotomy regarding the split society presented in KLK: On the one side student council president Satsuki Kiryuuin, reserved, buttoned-up to the neck and worshipped like a goddess by her underlings, on the other side low-status transfer student Ryuuko Matoi, hot-blooded and seeking shelter at what Satsuki refers to as pigs in human clothing who are accordingly guided by their libido and carnal desire (Mako's brother and father both display this characteristic despite being presented as sympathetic characters otherwise).

In order to fulfill her desire for revenge Ryuuko forms a pact with Senketsu, a blood-sucking demonic being without hesitation, to gain power even if it means to publicly expose and humiliate herself in front of her enemies (which advantages are that her opponents underestimate her or even get distracted by the amount of bare skin), displaying a lurid and obscene, a truly demonic (notice the horns on her head) image of herself. She wittingly accepts degrading herself, exposing herself to the perpetuat male gaze and the corresponding sexual harassment.

All that creates a vast discrepancy between the two parties in this long-period battle, the uptight, militaritc elite and the huddled, sensation-seeking masses. Something that I believe is intentional on the producers' side.
Oct 15, 2013 6:55 AM

Jun 2011
Shannah67 said:
So what if KLK gives fan service? A lot of other anime offers it too. Can't we just enjoy the actual story without complaining about the fan service? :/

Timing is very important if you want the "fanservice" to feel right.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 15, 2013 7:01 AM

Feb 2013
Fanservice doesn't bother me much. At least in this show. It's just fun to watch right now. We'll see what happens though.
Oct 15, 2013 9:58 AM
Jan 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
The fanservice doesn't bother me as much as the cheap animation does - and that one there's no "it doesn't take itself seriously" excuse for.

Cheap animation? Are we watching the same series?
Look at this: http://imgur.com/a/SEKI7
That's all just from episode 1!
Oct 15, 2013 10:13 AM

May 2013
Shannah67 said:
That's the problem. Until now, the story is silly.
Oct 15, 2013 10:37 AM
Jul 2013
People are going to whine about fanservice because they want something to whine about, just like the people that whined about "pseudo-rape" and Ryuko's glove "making light of suicide".

Just watch it if you like it, don't watch it if you don't. If people drop this just because of fanservice, it's their loss.
Oct 15, 2013 10:52 AM
Aug 2011
The show is what it is, and it's very up front and open about it. Doesn't come as a surprise, either: It's Imaishi, everything the dude has ever done had lots of fan service and sexual humor (Dead Leaves, TTGL, PS&G, Re: Cutie Honey). It's like complaining about Michael Bay movies having too many explosions. If you don't like it, that's perfectly fine. Just watch something else. But acting shocked, surprised or offended is just silly.
Oct 15, 2013 2:21 PM

Dec 2011
Gainax and Trigger is pretty much all fanservice. And it doesn't hide that at all, because it is the best kind of fanservice that's just a real pleasure to watch. Having said that, I honestly haven't seen Kill la Kill yet in particular. Will be waiting until it's finished.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2013 2:24 PM

Jun 2007
Orimos said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Cheap animation? Are we watching the same series?
Look at this: http://imgur.com/a/SEKI7
That's all just from episode 1!

Still images don't show animation, I didn't criticize the art.
Oct 15, 2013 2:26 PM
Oct 2011
LayedBack said:
Gainax and Trigger is pretty much all fanservice. And it doesn't hide that at all, because it is the best kind of fanservice that's just a real pleasure to watch. Having said that, I honestly haven't seen Kill la Kill yet in particular. Will be waiting until it's finished.
The fan-service in KlK sucks. You'll know what people are complaining about when you watch the show.
Oct 15, 2013 2:33 PM

Feb 2011
Are you serious!? You dropped it because of THAT? I'll be taking away your Man card now.
Oct 15, 2013 2:36 PM

Feb 2011
Candor said:
LayedBack said:
The fan-service in KlK sucks. You'll know what people are complaining about when you watch the show.

I've watched it and I loved it. BTW, that revealing outfit she had on sucked? I'll be taking your man card away as well.
Oct 15, 2013 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
I can honestly say that the ass and titties just make it more entertaining, if you are too beta for ecchi, then go watch something else.
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Oct 15, 2013 2:44 PM
Aug 2011
Candor said:
LayedBack said:

It doesn't suck and - more importantly - it isn't unexpected. In fact, most of the idiots trying to make it "better" by imagining Ryuuko with more clothes on actually make it worse when it comes to fanservice, which shows the asinine bigotry of the whole debate.

Also, think about the two episodes out so far, and try to imagine them without Ryuuko's outfit. Which also means without all the gags and scenes related to said fanservice: You'll probably notice that there wouldn't be much left. The first two episodes would be ten minutes each, and quite generic and boring.
Oct 15, 2013 2:47 PM

Jul 2013
wsippel said:
Candor said:
LayedBack said:

It doesn't suck and - more importantly - it isn't unexpected. In fact, most of the idiots trying to make it "better" by imagining Ryuuko with more clothes on actually make it worse when it comes to fanservice, which shows the asinine bigotry of the whole debate.

Also, think about the two episodes out so far, and try to imagine them without Ryuuko's outfit. Which also means without all the gags and scenes related to said fanservice: You'll probably notice that there wouldn't be much left. The first two episodes would be ten minutes each, and quite generic and boring.
True Story
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Oct 15, 2013 2:55 PM

Jan 2012
The two cats screwing on the roof was disgraceful neko fanservice~

I really don't know what you complainers were expecting though, just look at the guys past work. I guess it's because so many people hyped this pre-season that we have so many pussies crying about this. I personally think the fanservice is rather well done and I'm not a fan of fanservice usually either.
Oct 15, 2013 2:59 PM

Apr 2013
The funny thing I noticed is that the fanservice in this show is actually mocking and making fun of fanservice in anime in general.

In many anime, video games, etc., women can get away with wearing the skimpiest outfits and literally no one cares. In MMOs, dress yourself as a skimpy elf woman with barely any body armor and the NPCs don't question your outfit at all. In addition, most anime girls don't care wearing barely anything at all, even to battle.

But in Kill la Kill, Ryuuko is visibly embarassed to wear Senketsu and wears a perpetual blush on her face, constantly bringing up the point that she's only wearing it "because she has to." And it's true, she needs to suit to power up and defeat her enemies. Furthermore, the other characters don't just treat Ryuuko's armor as something normal and acceptable. No, during the tennis match the audience ogled and drooled over the revealing outfit in the most blatant way. There are no archetypal male anime characters that are annoyed or just dead ignorant of the boobs and panty shots around them.

This is how Kill la Kill treats its fanservice, not so much as something to make its viewers horny, but to make a snark statement about fanservice as a whole.
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 15, 2013 3:21 PM

Jun 2007
migohunter said:
The funny thing I noticed is that the fanservice in this show is actually mocking and making fun of fanservice in anime in general.

In many anime, video games, etc., women can get away with wearing the skimpiest outfits and literally no one cares. In MMOs, dress yourself as a skimpy elf woman with barely any body armor and the NPCs don't question your outfit at all. In addition, most anime girls don't care wearing barely anything at all, even to battle.

But in Kill la Kill, Ryuuko is visibly embarassed to wear Senketsu and wears a perpetual blush on her face, constantly bringing up the point that she's only wearing it "because she has to." And it's true, she needs to suit to power up and defeat her enemies. Furthermore, the other characters don't just treat Ryuuko's armor as something normal and acceptable. No, during the tennis match the audience ogled and drooled over the revealing outfit in the most blatant way. There are no archetypal male anime characters that are annoyed or just dead ignorant of the boobs and panty shots around them.

This is how Kill la Kill treats its fanservice, not so much as something to make its viewers horny, but to make a snark statement about fanservice as a whole.

Everything you said can be applied to a shit ton of anime and games. Don't try to make it out to be a groundbreaking deconstruction of fanservice.
Oct 15, 2013 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
I reckon its a bit too over the top, espc with all teh shots on episode 2. It's not a dealbreaker but I can see where you are coming from.
Oct 15, 2013 3:27 PM

Mar 2013
I don't see how the boobs and such in this show are 'fan service'. doesn't 'fan service' imply that it has no place in the show? that it's unnecessary? it's just part of the comedy.

if you don't like seeing this stuff in shows you can not watch it, but don't try to claim it takes away from/doesn't fit in the show.

this may have been said already, I didn't read the other comments..
meditate on bass weight.
Oct 15, 2013 4:43 PM

Apr 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
migohunter said:

Everything you said can be applied to a shit ton of anime and games. Don't try to make it out to be a groundbreaking deconstruction of fanservice.

Give me some names then.

And no I didn't claim that Kill la Kill was revolutionary with how they depicted fanservice, but simply how it's different from, say, your run-of-the-mill ecchi anime. And more importantly, why the fanservice isn't such a problem as haters make it out to be.
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 15, 2013 10:29 PM

Aug 2012
My only problem with it is that the tits and asses and all prevent me from being able to freely watch this anime in public or around non-anime friends, even if all I wanted to enjoy was the crazy action.
Oct 16, 2013 2:03 AM
Oct 2011
Kaiburr said:
Candor said:
LayedBack said:

I've watched it and I loved it. BTW, that revealing outfit she had on sucked? I'll be taking your man card away as well.

> No Jojo in his list
You understood the meaning of manliness wrong, here's a taste of it:
http://i.imgur.com/qZdpfJ1.jpg
Oct 16, 2013 4:53 AM
Jan 2013
Kaiburr said:

People say fanservice in this series sucks - then tell me. Where is your example of 'good service scene'? The ones from Seikon no Qwaser?

Can't get these people, god. This is actually one of few series that fan-service is totally not disturbing due to how it is executed so over the top. You guys are just hypocrites.
Oct 16, 2013 5:05 AM

Nov 2012
i think the fan service is really unnecessary.
Oct 16, 2013 6:13 AM

Nov 2012
i quited klk because of the echii -.-
Oct 16, 2013 9:39 AM

Nov 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:

+1
The fanservice maybe annoying , but the very cheap animation in ep2 is sure bothering...
still enjoying the show and loving it , but I am worried about this , if it's really a 24 ep...we don't want a gainax ending or some super cheap animation eps..
Oct 16, 2013 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
Shannah67 said:

You're watching this anime for the story? You're doing it wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2013 1:01 AM

Dec 2007
ITT: Males hating on females with a lesser amount of clothes.
Oct 17, 2013 2:14 AM

Jan 2013
Minagatachi said:
Shannah67 said:

You're watching this anime for the story? You're doing it wrong.
You're not?
Well shit...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 17, 2013 2:20 AM

Aug 2012
Kill la Kill has fanservice?
Oct 17, 2013 4:33 AM
Dec 2012
The fanservice doesn't bother me at all, It's one of the reasons I enjoyed these 2 episodes :D Also Ryuuko's outift doesn't suck!, people -_- BEWBS BEWBS BEWBS
Oct 17, 2013 7:06 AM

May 2010
yes and it sucks
Oct 17, 2013 9:02 AM
Oct 2012
Raziel1991 said:
I see people are still using "its not taking itself seriously and the show is self aware of how ridiculous the fanservice is" excuse. I personally disagree with you guys. The fact this show is self aware of how dumb the fanservice is makes it even worse. Why? Because thats the main reason why characters are constantly throwing all those " OMG you are a pervert" lines which are completly cringe worthy and lets not forget how cliche and overused this line is in anime as well.

If it was only done with the fanservice I would agree with you, but this show is an over the top parody of 1980's animation and even live action shows (Cutie Honey and Sukeban Deka to mention two), from the way they flash the titles of everyone, to the costumes and killer moves of the various opponents, the camera angles and yes hideously outdated and cliched etchi humor, everything is an homage to that decade. So you are supposed to groan at the cringe worthy stuff, that is part of the fun.

That said, I don't know how they will be able to maintain this show for more than 2 maybe 3 episodes before the parody's humor becomes stale, they are going to have to transform to some other genre by that time. I have a feeling the fanservice humor is going to become muted by then as well. Something has to give, I can't see it being this hyperkinetic for much longer, tastes have changed, and while I enjoy the return to the 80's, I wouldn't want to stay there.
Oct 17, 2013 1:31 PM
Jan 2010
IF I was a guy then yeah... I would probably say the same thing that everyone is saying "that this anime is awesome!!!! *drools*" but to me it feels like its a fan service anime with a really bad plot line.... I CAN NOT SAY FOR SURE BUT THAT'S MY OPINION.... and since its only 3 episode in.... we will only wait to see.... but for me it went from a 100% I'll watch to a 50%.... and now 20%
Oct 17, 2013 1:58 PM

Apr 2011
I'm a girl and I usually really dislike fanservice in anime. But in Kill la Kill, it just doesn't feel like fanservice to me at all. I mean, yes, they're basically naked, but it's not like in most other anime where you have all those cute helpless girls with giant breasts licking lollipops, wind blowing to lift a girl's skirt to show her panties and other cliches. These show's like: f*ck that, we're doing it our way! I think it's kind of meant to show how ridiculous fanservice can get.
Anyway, it's certainly not a reason to drop the show. Btw, for anyone calling this ecchi, it's not. Ecchi and fanservice are not the same thing.
Oct 17, 2013 2:30 PM

Dec 2012
Let me just copy+paste what I posted on another forum and...

Despite the dearth of fabric, the outfit manages to incorporate the following fetishes:
>Skin-tight bodysuit
>Heels
>Stockings
>Garter-belts

>Includes underboobs (physically impossible in the real world except on the equator during a lunar eclipse)

>The skirt is shorter than her underwear. Let that sink in.
>In addition, while the outfit includes a permanent pantie-shot from the front, she isn't wearing anything in back.

>It's still a school uniform. Seriously, look again, the back and shoulders look like a standard anime girls' uniform.

You still with me? Now we've reached the most important part. Remember what Senketsu's power is? Anyone? Anyone? That's right, it's an impenetrable defense. An impenetrable defense. That """""""armor""""""" (epic air-quotes) forms an impenetrable defense.

If there was some pathetic attempt at self-justification like "the armor increases her speed, that's why it's so skimpy" I would have dropped Kill la Kill in a millisecond. But that's not what they did. There's only one power a uniform made of two scraps of cloth and piece of tinfoil could possibly have: to protect the wearer from all harm. It's not merely a lack of justification, it's a refusal to justify their choices.

My conclusion I'll copy+paste from my blog:

All this comes together to create a design far too overwrought to be called "sexy", but that doesn't stumble into the grotesque and somehow fails to be "degrading". It's nothing but raw absurdity. In other words, it's hilarious.

Because as should have been obvious from the very first frame, Kill la Kill - just like Gurren Lagann before it - isn't a condemnation of the elements it incorporates but rather a celebration: a wild outburst of passion and sincerity with at least as much self-worth and self-confidence as what it gently mocks, created by someone who has discovered the cogs of trope and cliche behind stories and - instead of rejecting them - waves them over his head, boldly proclaiming their existence.

In short it is - to borrow some phraseology from NisiOisiN - a fake more real than the original.
Oct 17, 2013 2:54 PM
Oct 2012
xBits said:
Anyway, it's certainly not a reason to drop the show. Btw, for anyone calling this ecchi, it's not. Ecchi and fanservice are not the same thing.

Not all fanservice is ecchi, but pretty much all ecchi is fanservice.

Ecchi means "dirty" in the "naughty" sense. So flashing underpants and underboobs are ecchi. Kill la Kill is ecchi.

Hentai is "perverted", so it is a lot stronger than ecchi. Kill la Kill is not hentai, it also isn't ero.

Fanservice is anything done specifically to appeal to the taste of the specific fans of the show, generally when it has nothing to do with the main story line. So flashing panties a la ToLoveRu is both ecchi and fanservice, likewise showing the MC nearly naked is also ecchi and fanservice. But Fanservice is not always ecchi. In Girls Und Panzer, the various shots of the tanks are fanservice for the fans of the show, certain in jokes are fanservice. The range of fanservice is as wide as there is taste in fans.
Oct 17, 2013 3:33 PM

Aug 2007
The nudity in the show is so excessive it sort of hits the level of being played for laughs rather than fanservice. A healthy mix of both though. Could have gone with some less but it's lampshaded well enough.

Not a fanservice person myself but in this case I feel it's all part of the craziness of it rather than pure, dumb titillation, so I'm good.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

956 by hopeforbetterai »»
Apr 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

393 by hopeforbetterai »»
Apr 30, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2013

368 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2013

447 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

878 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.