Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Oct 21, 2013 7:05 AM

Jun 2013
eminagnam said:
I failed to understand why she panicked so much when she met Imai. I understood she was so self-conscious she couldn't talk to that girl and ran away from her. But was there any need to panic so much? Like she herself said at the end, it was a trivial thing after all. Glad she seemed to finally realize she had overreacted to a trivial thing. Yeah like the narration said, the series was full of trivial things she worried about too much. In this respect, it looked like she treated it for herself in the end. It was a good relief.

Overall I enjoyed the series.

I can tell you have no idea how hard it is to treat social anxiety. It does not go away just simply because the victim realizes their weaknesses. It's not that simple you know. It takes time to treat a psychological disorder like social anxiety.

Now then for the episode. I feel empty after watching this ending.. From EP1 to EP12 not much changed. She managed to talk, not in a normal way but still, to the teacher saying g-bye. What else.. She couldn't grasp the strength to talk to Imae-san? or what her name was.
Her childhood friend has no idea about her social problems, nor does her ignorant and stuck up little brother. Making her all alone with no one to talk to about those problems.. Sad :/

All in all this show was golden. Speaking from a bit of personal experience regarding social anxiety, this show nailed it. Sure there were moments that were a bit too much, but still.

I'm giving this show a 9/10 because of how good they adapted the psychological problems of a person suffering from social anxiety/Tomoko's problems.
Oct 26, 2013 5:45 AM

Nov 2012
Very good job at main character design look and behavior - pathetic till the end.
For me it was hard to enjoy comedy when I realized how sad and pathetic situation of MC is. That's why I expect s2 and some plot progress I wonder if manga readers know something about this.

I would compare this show to bitter chocolate 8/10
Oct 26, 2013 6:04 PM
Oct 2013
First post (yay~)

Just finished a few minutes ago.
Overall I really enjoyed it, Tomoko is a creepy-cute character and actually quite a good mirror that many people could relate to.
Personally I see much of myself in her, especially the mindset I had in school. One thing that was actually scary for me was seeing her "waste" entire days just sitting in her room in front of her pc or something, I know that you can spend hours on the internet and have fun and stay entertained, yet from an outside perspective it does look pretty "off".
I also really loved the brother-sister relationship and enjoyed most of the humor coming from these scenes.

But yeah, the major flaw of the anime is that Tomoko never really changes no matter how hard she tries, and while that maybe be kind of realistic, it doesn't really serve the story or develops her character. She's pretty much the same person in episode 12 that she is in episode 1.
Oh yeah and I'm not a fan of that fanservice, it was pretty distracting for me, just felt unnecessary.
Nov 1, 2013 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
Hi Dionysus24779, great first post!

Tomoko does change when you look at what she was like back when she was in
middle school. In addition, you can read ahead in the manga if you want to see
whether or not she changes later. I won't spoil it for you.

The anime series covered chapters 1 through 34 in the manga, with the exception
of chapters 30 and 33. To this point, the manga has been translated into English
up to the end of chapter 49. So it appears that there could be enough material
for a second season pretty soon. Here's hoping.
Nov 2, 2013 10:13 PM

Oct 2013
kind of disappointing character development.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 9, 2013 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
LMAO! Such an unnescessary reaction with the running home part. xD

I really like the relationship between her and that girl though. (the popular girl with the panties) It reminds me of how I used to be with this one girl that I know.

Good series overall. I feel like there could've been more though. It was pretty much the same thing every episode. :/
~Izzy Zazztacular~
Nov 10, 2013 12:33 AM

Feb 2013
Good series overall, I was really hoping for a better end for Tomoko (I just feel so bad for her lol).

Hmmmm........

7/10
Nov 10, 2013 7:26 PM
Jul 2013
I'm pretty disappointed with this overall.
Nov 11, 2013 9:16 AM

Dec 2009
There are people who went through the same as Tomoko: they will love this anime.

And there are people who don't understand Tomoko's thoughts at all: they will think this anime is boring.

"speak the truth even if your voice shakes"
Nov 13, 2013 7:45 PM

Sep 2012
szynu said:
In my opinion this is the best anime (comedy) of 2013.
And Tomoko :3
I wanna see 2nd season :] If of course they would release them.

nuff said
Nov 28, 2013 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
Another reference and Shingeki no Kyojin salute. :3 Aww, at the end Tomoki didn't get what she wanted. ;___; At least, someone did notice her -- Imae-san.~
Dec 4, 2013 5:40 AM

Mar 2013
The running scene was kinda weird but it was ok seriously i can relate much to this anime and i hope this can have a season 2 as well!
Dec 5, 2013 12:30 AM

Jun 2008
typhlosionwolf said:
LMAO! Such an unnescessary reaction with the running home part. xD

Indeed. even by Tomoko's crazy reaction standards this reaction had no excuse. It feels like they just threw it there just to put something crazy for the end which is quite disappointing really.
Do be honest i feel like the previous episode should have been the last cause this one offered nothing as a last episode.
Dec 7, 2013 5:42 AM

Oct 2013
Lol too many references in this anime i love it, i really enjoyed the whole series, and i like the atmosphere in every episode, it's like watching my own life the story line is just epic i love it, wouldn't mind for a second season and i can't wait for the OVA which aired next october, damn i can't wait...

Overall score 8/10
Dec 11, 2013 1:24 PM
Oct 2013
As a person who struggles with social anxiety I can totally relate to this anime. However, just because I can relate to it doesn't mean I enjoy'd it. It was entertaining at first and you really wanted to root for Tomoko but as the story progressed you'll find out rooting for her is useless. She never makes any improvement! this anime pretty much told me no matter how much you try to get better socially you won't be able to. I gave it about a 5 for being mildly entertaining,
Jan 4, 2014 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The ending leaves you stunned with the classic question: What the hell did I see? But in this lies the beauty of this series, was not to be proud of anything, and yet there was the first step towards maturity Tomoko!
Tomoko you are unique, as I have labored with you and how sad I enjoyed seeing you in terranella dust.
But fregatene of everyone and this golden world of appearances, someone who thinks of you already there! : D
Final rating 7/10! I hope there is a second season.
Jan 4, 2014 10:16 AM
Jul 2010
Polyzri said:
I'm pretty disappointed with this overall.

Same here. It started pretty well and I found myself sometimes laughing during the first episodes, but then it became way too repetitive and boring. Tomoko's personality is horrible, her voice is atrocious and her lack of character development is simply the worst here. This anime ended up making me feel really uncomfortable as her behavior is way too awkward; as I was feeling kinda bad for her at the beginning, I felt nothing but pity and disappointment at the end.

A good moral for this story would have been her finally understanding she should question herself more, but it's finally back to square one: no, if I'm not popular, it's other people's fault. I know that's pretty much the title of the show but a mentality like "Other people suck, but I still want to be popular" doesn't make any sense to me; it only makes this character quite unlikeable, especially when you see her pretty much calling a "bitch" the only friend she has.

So... I don't know what else to say. I expected better and it could have been a lot better, that's for sure. 5/10
Jan 11, 2014 3:09 AM

Aug 2012
Really, really liked this series. It didn't end up as my fourth ten like I thought it'd be after episodes 2 but it still winded up as a 9 for me. Maybe when I rewatch it'll be lowered to a nine because there were a few weaker episodes/moments that didn't really work in here (the bamboo molestation on the train or the imaginary Daily Life Club meeting) but man, I haven't seen another anime that's had me laughing as hard and/or as frequently as this one did. Really liked a lot of the characters, loved Tomoko, Imae was really cool and nice & Tomoki was awesome and would've liked some more focus on him but every time his was on screen I was guaranteed a smirk across my face. My favorite episode is either the 2nd or the 11th and I'm guessing most people who liked this series can figure out why relatively easily. Heck, probably a few of those who didn't can probably pick out why, so I won't bother wasting an excessive amount of space detailing why. Hoping for another season.

As for this episode, it was good but yeah, it was a little underwhelming I suppose. The ending sequence was awesome I guess and I loved hearing Tomoko say that being popular doesn't even matter. Part of me kinda thinks the 11th episode would've worked better as the finale but Oh, a Cat!
Jan 11, 2014 7:56 PM

Sep 2013
This episode seemed to go by so much quicker than the others, I feel. I love how Tomoko made some progress while remaining her bitter, pathetic, awkward self so that we don't lose her.

She's her own worst enemy, poor thing. Fatso's portrait of her, the umbrella, and the popular girl's statements about her show that people do care about her. She's not invisible. Speaking of invisible; love the Another reference.

I love Tomoko. She tries so hard.
Jan 12, 2014 2:47 PM

Oct 2011
Not the strongest episode of the series but a nice ending nonetheless. Really liked Imae being so nice about Tomoko, I was really hoping for them to go to a cafe together or something. Good series overall, I really enjoyed it. I'd love a season 2 where Tomoko actually develops and makes more friends.
Jan 13, 2014 11:40 AM
Apr 2011
This anime would have been better if they skipped to Tomoko's 2nd year in high school.
Jan 15, 2014 9:50 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, I'm going to miss this show. *.*
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Jan 21, 2014 8:42 PM

Mar 2012
Tomoko became a rather dull and boring MC after the first few episodes, I enjoyed her personality in the beginning, but I don't think they went about the rest of the show the right way, was a bit of a drag....in fact, I've only chuckled my way through most of this show....just didn't find it all that funny. The sad bit to me was I think the voice of Tomoko got a bit annoying towards the end, a bit glad it's over.

6/10, that OP makes me want to give it a 5 though, was just horrid >.>

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 25, 2014 1:38 AM

Jan 2014
I've never expect to watch this kind of nonsense but i like it, but rather than laugh I've feel more depressed of pitying tomoko. it turned down every my expectations about how main character should be..
Feb 6, 2014 7:48 AM

Apr 2011
The ending with her running home was so bad, but I liked this series overall.
Feb 15, 2014 4:56 AM

Oct 2010
I don't know if I'm alone in considering this a superb finale, one that is perfectly on character and, as well, one that finally shows some satisfying growth on Tomoko.

Being introverted or socially awkward is a damn hell, specially when you build expectancies for yourself that you can't satisfy no matter how. Tomoko's was a journey of frustration after frustration, I am glad to see at least that she's able to put her problem in perspective. I don't know how would a second season make, but I only imagine her being more confident with her condition, not trying to force herself to a change she can't handle. It is an open ending, but I feel like it went full circle with its character.

My overall rating for this series is a 9. Its episodic nature was sort of an issue, but this hit home more often than anything.

Tekakurika said:
I didnt liked that ending line ''it doesnt matter''....
Trust me, it does... Especially when u have this kind of experience in real life it is even offensive...

Do you really take that seriously? Of course it is not true! But here is the issue for Tomoko. This helps her, and gives her confidence.

I have experienced my social issues and constant frustration about it. Then, I decided just to not think about it anymore, and try to take things with perspective. Is that a solution? No, damn, it's just a way to survive and go on. The problem is (was) still there. But I can see how this helps on the self-esteem and stability of Tomoko, and this is a hell of a huge personal growth in a character that spent 12 episodes trying to fool herself.
jal90Feb 15, 2014 5:05 AM
Feb 17, 2014 10:02 PM

Apr 2011
Tomoko Kuroki is a legend who shall live on in our hearts and minds forever.
Mar 1, 2014 2:41 PM

Aug 2013
I loved the Another reference ^^
Mar 9, 2014 6:51 PM
Aug 2007
Really enjoyable anime overall... just wish it wasn't so short and that Tomoko had managed to make a tiny bit of more progress from her situation. Really sympathised with her at times..

8/10
Mar 13, 2014 7:34 AM

Mar 2013
As much as I liked this anime, I cant help but feel depressed at the deeper tone of this. Although the cringe-ness is pumped up to 11 for comedic effect, I'm reminded about my own social anxieties that I experience and to a lesser degree still have. Call me whiny and pessimistic but if you crop out the gags, its literally just an anime about a girl who just wants to be loved by the opposite sex, wants to be able to make friends , she wants things in her life to change for the 'better' and she believes the way to go about that is to be someone or something she is uncomfortable being (duckface). It gets to a point where here social ineptitude and awkwardness becomes downright depressing rather than endearing or amusing, although I still laugh, because anime (and cause im a bad person). Its arguable if this anime has any 'real' payoff but the best way to see this anime is as jal90 says

jal90 said:

No, damn, it's just a way to survive and go on. The problem is (was) still there. But I can see how this helps on the self-esteem and stability of Tomoko, and this is a hell of a huge personal growth in a character that spent 12 episodes trying to fool herself.

Thus the anime is perhaps a story of building self-esteem and growing in increments. Although the degree to which these increments aggregate is, again, arguable by the end of episode 12. Still Watamote is NOT a bad or great anime. Its reasonably good. Obviously others will disagree, but I guess in a way having social anxieties kind of jades you in this respect. I guess i can empathize with a lot of what Tomoko is going through
7/10 would watch second season for more payoff.
FactionRedMar 13, 2014 7:42 AM
I like fried tofu
Mar 19, 2014 9:18 PM

Feb 2009
"Oh, a cat!" Best.

Actually, not getting a happy end might be the more realistic one. The series made me wonder about those shy people I encountered in my life - and also about my younger (and present) self. I don't know if my teenage self would be proud or disgusted of what I have been done since school, since I managed to find solutions to some of my problems, while others occured which I never thought of back then.

Tomoko managed to improve ever so slightly, at least. Not much what I can call "character development", but this is probably the core problem of the whole bunch, even in reality.

But I will totally cheer for a better ending for her in a second season (or the OVA, but that won't probably cut it).
NacromaApr 16, 2014 5:20 PM
Apr 1, 2014 2:59 AM

Jul 2012
I'm glad to see people actually appreciate the non comedic aspects of the show. I felt like the show was never about the comedy and people seemed to think otherwise. The show's humor is cringe humor at best, and yet people bashed it for being cringe worthy. That was the point and you people clearly missed it.

Being able to relate and having some of the scenes hit home was the best part about Watamote.

jal90, you are not along in thinking this was a wonderful ending. It gave me the exact same feeling as the manga which is great. I need to get back to reading it though. I started reading it awhile before the anime aired but I stopped for some reason.
Apr 6, 2014 11:24 PM
May 2011
I agree with the people who said the show was brilliant in the first half but then kind of started going downhill in the second. Or maybe it just started getting old, I dunno.

Relating to it is indeed the best part of the show, but this is just so extreme that really it just got depressing in the end.

I wish there was something more for her. The ending "it doesn't really matter" was surprising and fitting and I can appreciate it, but again it's not really satisfying. Of course in the grand scheme of things nothing matters but you always want to be improving your subjective experience of existence, so I disagreed with that. There is something that can be said for acceptance as a coping mechanism as well though.

So overall despite the gag comedy the issues brought up by this are surprisingly deep, and just for that I applaud it and give it 7/10.
Apr 9, 2014 1:44 PM

Apr 2011
Very fun at times, but the series left me with a sad feeling of hopelessness.

I wish there had been some development to the better, not necessarily that she got popular, but maybe just that she started feeling better or stopped caring or whatever.

Instead, each episode was pretty much the same.
Apr 12, 2014 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
This ending was a huge question mark. I really need to analyze it before making any assumptions, but it's not hard to see the brilliance in it. It really is the best ending possible, considering Tomoko's personality.
Apr 12, 2014 1:56 PM
May 2011
There was a really good link somewhere up there to a page in the manga which explains why she was so upset and ran away from that girl at the end of the episode. It's because she was devastated because she thought she looked like a pervert following from behind and then seeing her panties as her skirt flew up. This explained a lot to me. It is not obvious at all in the anime. I was like "wait, why is she running?"
Apr 16, 2014 12:31 AM
Jan 2013
To be as shallow as a moe anime and yet be anti moe.

What has anime become.

Apr 17, 2014 3:42 AM
Aug 2008
Just like the most,if not,rest of the anime this episode was pure awesome and was good,nice and a SEMI-satisfying conclusion to the show.

Now I say "SEMI-satisfying" cuz while I did like that in this episode she's finally opening up to people,volunteering to do class chores and whatnot and FINALLY making a obvious new friend besides Yu and HOPEFULLY a potential yuri/lesbian love partner in the form of Megumi Imai...Tomoko didn't exactly completely open up to her yet.

Besides that though once again the BEST part in this episode was the ending...just as the opening scene in ep 10 transitioned into the OP credits,the ED credits in this one ALSO transitioned into the OP theme song FRIKIN' AWESOME!

Not saying that I didn't like the episode or anything,but DAT ENDING...and Tomoko' faces while she was running back home after what happened between her and Megumi lmao XD.

I'm really hoping they make a second season for Watamote cuz I wanna see Tomoko and Megumi' relationship HOPEFULLY progress into something more intimate,etc....that and tbh I'm too lazy to read the whole Manga lol.
Apr 18, 2014 2:43 PM

Oct 2010
genesic123 said:
To be as shallow as a moe anime

wat

genesic123 said:
and yet be anti moe.

wat
Apr 19, 2014 9:28 PM

May 2009
I'm hoping its not the end its really good
Apr 30, 2014 11:37 PM

Mar 2013
Its unfair to judge the anime based on "results" or "progress" on the MC Tomoko's part. This is why a superb show like Watemote has a disgraceful 7.44 rating atm. There are a plethora of crappy Shoujo and even Shounen type Anime where the supposedly unpopular MC makes friends, get handed love interests which are way out of their league, or in the case of generic harems has a puny and mindless MC with a handful of boobs in their face for no apparent reason. Perhaps too many people expected this show to conform to their wishes, and since it faithfully stays true to its title (and manga counterpart) they lash out at it with their spite.

The anime itself exceeded my expectations, and lived up to my hopes of it being a little sibling to the Unparalleled NHK. In a sense though it takes up more after Oregairu, with an MC who fails at social interaction, friendship, romance, while 'officially' meeting the bare minimum obligations of society going to school, helping out with cultural festivals etc. In that sense its different from NHK, which has a true Hikikomori and Neet as an MC. Ironically though they have more friends and love interests than Tomoko will likely ever have.

While I got my fair share of laughs, the truth is that most episodes had parts where I was cringing inwardly in embarrassment and sadness for Tomoko. Unlike those who punish the show for that, I hold highly of it for accurately portraying the misery and seemingly helplessness of her plight.

I'll give it a well deserved 10, partially to make up for the criminally inaccurate current rating. It's probably about a 9.1-9.2 in strength.

Heres hoping for a second season announcement this year!
May 1, 2014 3:46 AM

Nov 2013
This episode was just so satisfying.
May 12, 2014 11:25 AM

Jul 2013
Didn't really like the ending but it's still okay.

Wouldn't mind seeing a second season.
May 21, 2014 4:37 AM

Apr 2012
I found the ending satisfying too, she may not have come on leaps and bounds (and really, social problems like hers can't be solved overnight) but I have some hope for her happiness as things stand! I really enjoyed this series.

And her brother is so fine, js.
May 28, 2014 10:18 AM

Feb 2010
The anime end suddenly, the last episode is a bit...loose,
still don't get why Tomoko snap.
Anyway, the manga is still publishing...
May 28, 2014 1:15 PM

Sep 2013
Absolutely loved the Another and Shingeki no Kyojin references, this anime overall had me rolling on the floor with laughter, it never failed putting a smile on my face seeing all the awkward outcomes to Tomo-chan's situations

9/10

I really hope there is another season, although I don't think there would be T_T
May 30, 2014 6:59 AM

Jan 2012
semi-depressing anime with hilarious moments

strong wtf at ending

7.4/10 from me

ps. would slay yuu-chan's poon with the the rage of 9000 angry gods.
May 30, 2014 1:40 PM

May 2012
SEASON 2

NAOW!!!
Jun 4, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2011
Woop, that was a nice series. I didn't like that ending at all though, I expected a bit more.
Jun 9, 2014 11:15 PM
Jun 2014
SushiUnlimited said:
I was kind of mad that she ran away from Imae. I read the manga and I didn't really want any development because I liked the gag style, but for the anime I was really hoping she would get a happy ending.

Tomoko realizes in the end that she was just being silly worrying over being popular; I'd say that's at least a somewhat happy ending.

But yeah, really enjoyed this anime! Gonna miss it, but glad to see Tomoko happy in the end.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.