Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do you think doesn't deserve it's popularity and why?

New
Sep 5, 2013 8:28 PM

Jan 2012
Here's a few names that come in mind
Psycho Pass-this show managed to be more boring than Arcana Famiglia...and that's a freaking reverse harem.The setting here is so dull,characters are so bland and generic,everything is so meh I cannot understand why this is getting a second season.The only good thing about it were a few osts
Madoka-it's a deconstruction of genre so it must be good...WRONG
this show did nothing that a magical girl show hasn't done before,and it was so short I didn't give a damn about any of it's useless characters
TTGL-too silly that is all
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 5, 2013 8:30 PM

Jun 2013
One Piece.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 5, 2013 8:31 PM

Feb 2010
BRACE YOURSELVES A flame war is coming

(off topic why is the image thing not working?)
GrimAtramentSep 5, 2013 8:40 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 5, 2013 8:32 PM

Mar 2012
I know where the direction of this thread going.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.

Aug 2013
I disagree with your opinions.

OT:
Cowboy Bebop. Popularity as in praise, it's a good show, but I've seen people treat it as if it's some gift from the gods. Similar things with Trigun.

And Evangelion. Just, mediocre.

And having just re-watched Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, I have no idea how it is so highly rated. Stiff dialogue, horrendously lazy animation work, sloppy tonal transitions, poor pacing, eagh...
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*

Jan 2012
Maria_Sama said:
One Piece.

you are suposed to say why you ignorant trap
Sep 5, 2013 8:33 PM

Jan 2013
Haruhi

K-on

Lucky star

Not to much needs to be said other than it's just piss poor writing catering to the absolute lowest denominator. And has completely fucked over the industry into a dark age of mediocrity.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage

Sep 2012
Elfen Lied, it became popular just because it has "gore" and some tits.
But overall it was meh. Dunno about the manga.
May 2010
Any moe SOL. K-On to be exact.

OP Since when was Psycho Pass popular?
Sep 5, 2013 8:35 PM

Sep 2012
LanaAqua said:
Since when is Psycho Pass popular?

It doesn't need to be, he just wanted to start a thread that already exists to bash shows that he dislikes.

Apr 2013
SAO. Do I need to explain myself?
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 2012
LanaAqua said:
Since when is Psycho Pass popular?

since a second season was announced and since a lot of people call it the best anime of it's season.Which is sad considering that jojo,zetsuen no tempest and another one that doesn't come to mind were better
Sep 5, 2013 8:37 PM

Dec 2011
Evangelion, why? The story is crap, the main characters are crap, and the ending is full of bs.
Sep 5, 2013 8:38 PM

Aug 2013
LevailRenn said:

Yes. I never saw SAO, but I keep hearing how much it sucks, what has it done?
Want to talk?
Club!

Sep 5, 2013 8:41 PM

Apr 2013
Slayermaster said:
LevailRenn said:

Everything. It doesn't do one thing that is better then any other anime I've seen.
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 5, 2013 8:44 PM

Aug 2013
LevailRenn said:
Slayermaster said:
LevailRenn said:

Everything. It doesn't do one thing that is better then any other anime I've seen.

How'd it get popular? There must be a reason.
Want to talk?
Club!

Sep 5, 2013 8:45 PM

Jan 2012
Slayermaster said:
LevailRenn said:
Slayermaster said:
LevailRenn said:

because of the premise
Sep 5, 2013 8:50 PM

Oct 2012
SAO was pretty bad. The first episode was good, the first half was bearable, but the 2nd half? Worse than many parody anime.

Zetsuen no Tempest I think is overrated. Still good though.
Sep 5, 2013 8:50 PM

Feb 2010
renders said:
Slayermaster said:
LevailRenn said:
Slayermaster said:
LevailRenn said:

because of the premise

I WATCH BECAUSE YUKI KAJIURA'S MUSIC WAS IN IT Only redeeming thing for that show lol
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 5, 2013 8:52 PM

Jan 2012
Kalypze said:
SAO was pretty bad. The first episode was good, the first half was bearable, but the 2nd half? Worse than many parody anime.

How is zetsuen no tempest overrated?I heard the sales were bad because it's different and people don't like different.And it's definitely not as popular as psycho pass
Sep 5, 2013 8:53 PM

Oct 2012
As in, score. Not popularity, I acknowledge it didn't do well in sales.
Sep 5, 2013 9:01 PM

Aug 2013
Bleach
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Sep 5, 2013 9:11 PM
Sep 2012
Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach.

All three are generic, cliche, and over-saturated.
Sep 5, 2013 9:15 PM

Dec 2012
Everything you said about Psycho-Pass (which I disagree with) best describes my thoughts of Danganronpa: The Animation. I have yet to see any negative reception of this series other than people who played the VN saying "not faithful to source material."

The characters are all the most base, shallow forms of their stereotypes. The mood of the series is childish and when it tries to take itself seriously and go dark it just looks like a half assed attempt to add ass-pull plot twists. The character design looks like something from Ben-10 or Xiaolin Showdown and it's just a repetition of rushed mysteries that give no time for anime only viewers to analyze what's going on, yet is still predictable to the point of bafflement.

And yet I still see people hailing this as the "masterpiece survival game we've all been waiting for", "shits all over Mirai Nikki", and "omg my favorite seiyuu is in this so it's gonna be good!"

If people enjoy it that's all fine for them, but even being Mr. Easy to Please, I'm repulsed by this show and confused how it's so popular.
Sep 5, 2013 9:20 PM

Mar 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Everything you said about Psycho-Pass (which I disagree with) best describes my thoughts of Danganronpa: The Animation. I have yet to see any negative reception of this series other than people who played the VN saying "not faithful to source material."

The characters are all the most base, shallow forms of their stereotypes. The mood of the series is childish and when it tries to take itself seriously and go dark it just looks like a half assed attempt to add ass-pull plot twists. The character design looks like something from Ben-10 or Xiaolin Showdown and it's just a repetition of rushed mysteries that give no time for anime only viewers to analyze what's going on, yet is still predictable to the point of bafflement.

And yet I still see people hailing this as the "masterpiece survival game we've all been waiting for", "shits all over Mirai Nikki", and "omg my favorite seiyuu is in this so it's gonna be good!"

If people enjoy it that's all fine for them, but even being Mr. Easy to Please, I'm repulsed by this show and confused how it's so popular.
The problem I have in this is that they usualy show the evidience in trial that look like something that pulled out of nowhere.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 5, 2013 9:22 PM

Oct 2012
renders said:
Psycho Pass-this show managed to be more boring than Arcana Famiglia...and that's a freaking reverse harem.The setting here is so dull,characters are so bland and generic,everything is so meh I cannot understand why this is getting a second season.The only good thing about it were a few osts
this show did nothing that a magical girl show hasn't done before,and it was so short I didn't give a damn about any of it's useless characters

Wow. That's quite a list of amazing shows. I'm going to turn this thread on its head. What show do you love that you think should be more popular OP?
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Sep 5, 2013 9:25 PM

Feb 2010
renders said:
Kalypze said:

How is zetsuen no tempest overrated?I heard the sales were bad because it's different and people don't like different.And it's definitely not as popular as psycho pass

And it's definitely not as good as psycho pass.

Jan 2012
NickyCharisma said:
renders said:

Wow. That's quite a list of amazing shows. I'm going to turn this thread on its head. What show do you love that you think should be more popular OP?

Instad of turning this around you should say why you think those bad shows are amazing

Apr 2013
SAO
One Piece
Sep 5, 2013 9:26 PM

Jan 2012
Vanisher said:
renders said:
Kalypze said:

Yeah but without any argument it's pointless
Sep 5, 2013 9:27 PM

Sep 2012
This thread doesn't deserve its popularity.
Sep 5, 2013 9:28 PM

Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:

neither do you
Sep 5, 2013 9:30 PM

Feb 2010
renders said:
Vanisher said:
renders said:
Kalypze said:

Oh I'm sorry.

Let me present you some great arguments. Tempest's setting is so dull,characters are so bland and generic and everything is so meh.
Sep 5, 2013 9:32 PM

Jan 2012
Vanisher said:
renders said:
Vanisher said:
renders said:
Kalypze said:

Oh I'm sorry.

Let me present you some great arguments. Tempest's setting is so dull,characters are so bland and generic and everything is so meh.

oh pls elaborate more
wanna do a comparison between how generic the shitty psycho pass is comparing to zetsuen?
Sep 5, 2013 9:36 PM

Sep 2012
renders said:
Red_Keys said:

neither do you
You sound jealous.
Sep 5, 2013 9:37 PM

Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:
renders said:
Red_Keys said:

neither do you
You sound jealous.

I'm not jealous bro I just dislike you
Sep 5, 2013 9:38 PM

Aug 2013
Naruto considering it's a blatant rip off of Dragon Ball but with ninjas. In the current Naruto manga chapters Naruto is almost indistinguishable from Dragon Ball Z because it's non stop power ups, transformations etc.
Sep 5, 2013 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
sword art online
cowboy bebop
clannad
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 5, 2013 9:43 PM

Oct 2012
renders said:
NickyCharisma said:
renders said:

Instad of turning this around you should say why you think those bad shows are amazing

BUT I ASKED YOU FIRST!
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Sep 5, 2013 9:44 PM

Jan 2012
NickyCharisma said:
renders said:
NickyCharisma said:
renders said:

BUT I ASKED YOU FIRST!

wrong,I asked you first in the op
Sep 5, 2013 9:49 PM

Feb 2010
renders said:
Vanisher said:
renders said:
Vanisher said:
renders said:
Kalypze said:

Oh I'm sorry.

oh pls elaborate more
wanna do a comparison between how generic the shitty psycho pass is comparing to zetsuen?

Why should I? Those are great reasons right?

And no, I don't care, you can say what you wish though.
Sep 5, 2013 10:15 PM

Oct 2012
The Shounen genre as a whole. Been there, done that, seen one you've seen them all, what each does better then another is pretty mute when they're all just average or worse.

Sword Art Online- This is one of the hardest shows for me to place, I don't understand the hate or the popularity. First off, yes, it is pretty mediocre but there are many more anime that are worse in nearly every aspect. Second, what makes this anime so popular? There are a lot of anime that are popular that I disagree with but I can at least see why people like them, whether it be the fight scenes/action, art, or etc., but there is literally nothing that stands out at all in Sword Art Online.

Attack on Titan- A somewhat unique idea and high production values doesn't make up for the most dull and predictable set of characters ever.
ShrabsterSep 5, 2013 10:25 PM

Sep 5, 2013 10:18 PM

Aug 2013
Clannad because it's shit.
YOKO ONO
Sep 5, 2013 10:30 PM

Mar 2012
Mirai Nikki and Elfen Lied are the only genuinely terrible popular anime I've come across
inb4 lock
Sep 5, 2013 10:34 PM

Jan 2012
SaberKurisu said:
Mirai Nikki and Elfen Lied are the only genuinely terrible popular anime I've come across
inb4 lock

you forgot k-on
Sep 5, 2013 10:35 PM

Dec 2011
BokuTomo because I don't find it humorous at all.
Sep 5, 2013 10:39 PM

Sep 2012
renders said:
SaberKurisu said:
inb4 lock

you forgot k-on

NGE also
Sep 5, 2013 11:11 PM

Apr 2013
MitsukiHimeka said:
Haganai because I don't find it humorous at all.

It's not even as popular as you think it is..........and thinking you dont even know it's synonims...
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Sep 5, 2013 11:55 PM
May 2013
Madoka-because of the bad side of the fanbase
TTGL-same reason
End of Evengelion-how the fuck people say this is better than the Rebuild movies
Sep 6, 2013 12:07 AM

Jul 2013
High School DxD
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

55 by Zettaiken »»
4 seconds ago

» name a non-anime you think is better than 80% of anime

Kenzolo-folk - 44 minutes ago

15 by Chris_Concept »»
26 seconds ago

» Gurren Lagann & KlK creator said "Fanservice in anime is necessary, else humanity will disappear"

Dije - 5 hours ago

25 by DesuMaiden »»
47 seconds ago

» This has been the worst 6 weeks of anime I have seen in a long time. ( 1 2 )

StateofOhayo - May 14

88 by KingYoshi »»
5 minutes ago

» If there was an organization named "Down with Moe Blobs", would you join them or become their biggest enemy?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

8 by Archean-Return »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.