Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2013 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
Does it seem as the generations of the Pokemon games have come along, it's gotten stale?

When the first games came out, it was a great game that was very easy to get into and master. It wasn't the greatest thing ever invented, as fanboys like to believe, but the hype was created and the other games soon came. Except with each new release, the formula was more-or-less similar.

-Pick a starter of grass, fire, water that you can't capture outside the labortory.
-Go on an adventure to beat the Elite 4 and your "rival(s)" in the Pokemon League
-Discover some asshole group that wants to do something idiotic that revolves around Pokemon (Rocket, Aqua/Magma, Plasma, Galactic, etc.)
-Sneak into their lair, find a master ball, and lay a can of whoop-ass on their leader
-Win..... Yaaay......

For me, the series isn't bland because it follows the formula, but it's bland because of several things Nintendo won't change

-Certain Pokemon can only be gotten through trading/special events
-The new Pokemon look stupid, and seem to only be there because of disturbing Pokedex entries (While the 1st gen. had weird things in them, it only escalates without substance)
-No motive for Nintendo to try and do something creative again besides flasher graphics and more retarded-looking Pokemon. Gen 3 was probably the last Generation that tried something new and worked. Now Pokemon is Call of Duty.

Your thoughts?
Pikachu wants some
Aug 7, 2013 2:29 PM

Jan 2013
Anything above generation 3 sucks dick. Actually, anything that isn't generation 3 sucks dick. HOENN REGION IS BEST REGION.
Aug 7, 2013 2:38 PM

Jul 2013
It actually is the best region out of any of them. XD
Pikachu wants some
Aug 7, 2013 2:43 PM

Sep 2007
I thought gen4 was the best, only because it added a lot more to the gameplay, thus shifting the metagame a lot.
Aug 7, 2013 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
Gold and silver > all imo. I like the re-makes for nds too.
But yeah I also think that new pokemon look stupid, after gen 3 it kept getting worse and worse >.< But anyway I like to try every new game although I don't play as much as I did before, I still enjoy them from time to time.
Aug 7, 2013 2:55 PM

Jun 2010
That you can't get certain pokemon and the design of the newer ones? That is where you locate the problem of this series?

I would have agreed on the point of the plot formula - that really needs some variation.

But above all I hope for a total reboot.

They should make a clean cut - forsaking all compatibility with the previous versions which would give them the means to completely restructure the battle and status value system - adding more complexity to the games; reworking the whole business with IV, EV, Natures. Broaden the amount of available attacks, adding unique ones for each Pokemon, adding increased influences/interactivity with your surroundings and the monsters individual character.

With the goal to make the Pokemon unique again and giving you more tactical options to a battle - as it is now I keep asking myself why I should even bother to catch or even train them all - if huge amounts of them just suck and for those that don't only one or two moveset and stat distributions are viable.

No room for individuality, nothing really rewarding about the whole process of collecting, breeding and training.
AsturaetusAug 7, 2013 3:08 PM
Aug 7, 2013 3:13 PM

Jun 2011
It's always been bland. "Training" your pokemon is basically just grinding levels, with the incentive of seeing new pokemon/evolutions and seeing some numbers go up.

There's really nothing they can change to make it less tedious, since that's the whole point of the series.
Aug 7, 2013 3:23 PM

May 2013
Can you blame them? Any series that's gone on long enough will eventually get stale, it just cannot be avoided. Just look at Call Of Duty, Mario, Final Fantasy, Fifa, etc.
Aug 7, 2013 3:25 PM

Mar 2012
MT-Vaan said:
Gold and silver > all

^This.

While I agree that the new pokemon designs are getting blander with each generation, the gameplay has always been like that, especially outside of the metagame.
Aug 7, 2013 3:38 PM

Nov 2008
Generic can be good if done right, which Pokemon has done right

Dark_Chaos said:
Can you blame them? Any series that's gone on long enough will eventually get stale, it just cannot be avoided. Just look at Call Of Duty, Mario, Final Fantasy, Fifa, etc.

and these sadly haven't at least this generation.

Aug 7, 2013 4:03 PM

Jul 2013
Gomess said:

Because magnets, a pile of eggs, and purple sludge were so awesome looking right

Yeah a lot of the first 2 generations had stupid looking Pokemon (a literal Seal, a star, etc.) it made up for several of its unique Pokemon. Nowadays besides legendaires (which look like previous ones) most of the Pokemon are boring.
Pikachu wants some
Aug 7, 2013 4:08 PM

Nov 2012
I think each gen had something that was better in the other gens. I have my high doubts about the 6 generation though.

Edit: Did no one played BW2 ? i Thought they were pretty dam good.
Aug 7, 2013 4:15 PM

Jun 2009
It is clearly for every new generation of 10year olds. So it doesn't matter if it is the same...

Actually, it is better if you skip some of them. I have not played them all just a few. It is good because it is mindless. I mean think about Harvest Moon games, they are all the same too. You have to play it for a certain reason or for the sameness otherwise you cannot appreciate it.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 7, 2013 4:27 PM

May 2013
Hoppy said:
Generic can be good if done right, which Pokemon has done right

Dark_Chaos said:

and these sadly haven't at least this generation.

Unfortunately, I disagree. I don't see any major differences in any these 4 series compared to their many prequels years ago.

Pokemon Black and White however got triple and rotational battles, which certainly makes it not stale, but it hardly used them when it had so many opportunities to, like when Ruby and Sapphire got you to Double Battle every chance you got. X and Y is going 3D too and has a new type, so Pokemon is certainly not going stale in my eyes.
Aug 7, 2013 4:35 PM

Jul 2013
Suzune-chan said:
It is clearly for every new generation of 10year olds. So it doesn't matter if it is the same...

Actually, it is better if you skip some of them. I have not played them all just a few. It is good because it is mindless. I mean think about Harvest Moon games, they are all the same too. You have to play it for a certain reason or for the sameness otherwise you cannot appreciate it.

There are some fucked up things in Pokemon that I wouldn't say is for every 10 year old.
Pikachu wants some
Aug 7, 2013 4:43 PM

Dec 2007
I don't get the fuss, maybe because I didn't grow up playing them. I tried one for the first time a few years ago, and it was nothing but a tedious grindfest. Is the love for this series mainly based on nostalgia?
Aug 7, 2013 4:50 PM

Nov 2012
SchnickelFritz said:
I don't get the fuss, maybe because I didn't grow up playing them. I tried one for the first time a few years ago, and it was nothing but a tedious grindfest. Is the love for this series mainly based on nostalgia?
Nope the fun thing about pokeon is. Decide your pokemon team which has many variations. train them to defeat your rival's bad guys and gym leaders with nice ost in the backgrounds. Wile doing that the fire> grass>water system is fun as F*ck. Catch pokemon, one is harder to catch than another and there is some kind of story line in it which is not much but fun. Seeing your pokemon grow up and evolve is fun since you see your training getting paid off. Nice anime characters you fight against. Exploration and nice over world map. Those are the main things i can think of right now.
Aug 7, 2013 5:00 PM

Jul 2013
SchnickelFritz said:

For me it kind of is, but kind of isn't. I mainly have nostaliga playing Pokemon Emerald, Yellow, and Crystal (I even have a few strategy guides lying around) and I have fond memories about them. Though even then, I can only handle so much Pokemon before I go mental. I have at least 2,000 cards, several games, and a few DVDs and I've only recently started getting back into Pokemon, not something I can continuously like. Plus out of every 100 or so new Pokemon only 20 or so are worth getting to actual level up.
Pikachu wants some
Aug 7, 2013 5:18 PM

Jul 2013
I've always enjoyed them to a point but the battle system seemed so much like a chess match as opposed to the series. In a game unless your over-leveled (and even still then) the opposing weakness could still kill you, yet in the series if trained correctly even a low level fire could beat a water type. Granted I do still enjoy the games (stopped the series years ago) but I wouldn't argue with a game like this coming along. Granted I don't see Nintendo ever supporting this
Aug 7, 2013 5:29 PM

Feb 2013
Personally, I feel like Pokemon only keeps getting better, 5th gen is the best by far, don't get me wrong the previous ones were all good for the time, but once you're acclimated to the new mechanics it is very difficult to go back to the old games, in fact everyone keeps saying 3rd gen is the best, I recently revisited it, it's not, it is incredibly bogged down by so many things that were streamlined in 4th and 5th gen, the things that irk me the most about it are not having individual moves divided into physical and special, a heavy reliance on TMs to give your team balanced movesets because most of the inherent movesets suck, TMs not being reusable, the game not asking you if you want to use another repel when the current one runs out, and having to actually have the Pokemon you want to trade in your active party. Also, the "new pokemon look stupid," complaint is a bunch of bullshit, 1st-3rd gen had just as many retarded looking pokemon as 4th and 5th do, you're just unable to remove the nostalgia goggles. However, the one complaint I agree with the OP about is how annoying it is to only be able to obtain pokemon through trading and/or events, and the only other complaint I have about every Pokemon game is not being able to have multiple save files.
Aug 7, 2013 5:45 PM

Mar 2012
I have mixed feelings about this:
Gen 5 has some really cool and unique pokemon while it also has many pokemon very similar to the previous gens.
In gen 1 we got pikachu, in gen 2 we got baby pikachu, in gen 3 we got 2 pikachu clones; and now we got a flying pikachu in gen 5.

I hope gen 6 brings some more innovation
Aug 7, 2013 6:01 PM

Jul 2013
After gen 3 it went downhill. The best game IMO was Pokémon Gold and Silver. It had the best starter pokémon and had badass legendarys.

HKA-4M-T7 said:
The new Pokemon look stupid, and seem to only be there because of disturbing Pokedex entries (While the 1st gen. had weird things in them, it only escalates without substance)

I'm just going to leave this here...

Aug 7, 2013 6:17 PM
Nov 2009
deadjames said:
[...] in fact everyone keeps saying 3rd gen is the best...

Nope, most people say 2nd generation is the best one which is true.
Aug 7, 2013 6:52 PM

Aug 2012
So when's the Pokemon MMO coming out?
Aug 7, 2013 7:19 PM

Mar 2012
MrAwesome2011 said:

You mean PokeMMO?
Aug 7, 2013 7:27 PM

Nov 2012
I feel like the only person who genuinely enjoyed Gen 5.
DPPt kind of lost me in terms of enjoyment (I never finished Diamond) and Hoenn was kind of meh for me.
BW really renewed my love for the series.
Each time GameFreak tries to add something to the game fans whine about it. Every time they fail to add something, fans whine about it.
Either way, nobody's gonna be happy because a majority of the fanbase is completely impossible.
Aug 7, 2013 7:50 PM

Jul 2013
deadjames said:
Also, the "new pokemon look stupid," complaint is a bunch of bullshit, 1st-3rd gen had just as many retarded looking pokemon as 4th and 5th do, you're just unable to remove the nostalgia goggles.

Oh every generation had it's shit, I'm just more fair with the first 2 generations because Pokemon was just starting and the exact ideals needed to be worked out. By 3rd generation and 4th they had several kick-ass looking Pokemon. The 5th..... Eeeh....... They haven't learned for that one.

MrAwesome2011 said:

Hopefully never.
Pikachu wants some
Aug 7, 2013 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
I actually enjoy playing the newer generations, but I do agree that the pokemons designs are becoming unappealing. T
he Pokemon franchise is pretty much like Super Mario and the Legend of Zelda. With each game that Nintendo releases, there aren't much new additions.
Aug 8, 2013 1:39 AM

Oct 2009
I loved Pokemon Red/Blue. Fell to my knees with tears of joy with Gold/Silver. Got up and said alright this is pretty good to Ruby/Sapphire. Then Diamond/Pearl came out and I quit at the 2nd gym. Horrible, horrible game. Then Black/White came out and I quit at the Pokemon league. Not as bad as the previous games but still pretty bad.

What I'm trying to say is that Pokemon got shitty. Pokemon X/Y look awesome though. I mean friendship is the central theme!? I LOVE FRIENDSHIP!

Ayame0126 said:
I actually enjoy playing the newer generations, but I do agree that the pokemons designs are becoming unappealing. T
he Pokemon franchise is pretty much like Super Mario and the Legend of Zelda. With each game that Nintendo releases, there aren't much new additions.

Wat!? You need to take a look at the Zelda games again 'cause Nintendo has done nothing BUT introduce new designs. Nintendo may be a little too innovative with Zelda games as of recent (I mean, birds and skies in my Zelda game? Really?).

So what do you mean that Zelda isn't adding anything? That makes no sense 'cause they have been continuously adding things.

Aug 8, 2013 3:21 AM
Jul 2012
TheOnePickWonder said:
After gen 3 it went downhill. The best game IMO was Pokémon Gold and Silver. It had the best starter pokémon and had badass legendarys.

HKA-4M-T7 said:
The new Pokemon look stupid, and seem to only be there because of disturbing Pokedex entries (While the 1st gen. had weird things in them, it only escalates without substance)

I'm just going to leave this here...

gg.
Aug 8, 2013 7:40 AM

Feb 2010
The only valid point in the OP are the event Pokemon that's obviously a ploy for money. Otherwise I don't see how anything else is a problem.
Aug 8, 2013 8:02 AM

Mar 2013
johnyjohny said:
Did no one played BW2 ? I thought they were pretty damn good.

I've played BW(2) and I thought they were good, too! As it has actual vocal songs, animated sprites and an actual online extension (The dream world)
Aug 8, 2013 8:02 AM

May 2009
It keeps getting.... better since the game mechani-

deadjames said:
Personally, I feel like Pokemon only keeps getting better, 5th gen is the best by far, don't get me wrong the previous ones were all good for the time, but once you're acclimated to the new mechanics it is very difficult to go back to the old games, in fact everyone keeps saying 3rd gen is the best, I recently revisited it, it's not, it is incredibly bogged down by so many things that were streamlined in 4th and 5th gen, the things that irk me the most about it are not having individual moves divided into physical and special, a heavy reliance on TMs to give your team balanced movesets because most of the inherent movesets suck, TMs not being reusable, the game not asking you if you want to use another repel when the current one runs out, and having to actually have the Pokemon you want to trade in your active party. Also, the "new pokemon look stupid," complaint is a bunch of bullshit, 1st-3rd gen had just as many retarded looking pokemon as 4th and 5th do, you're just unable to remove the nostalgia goggles. However, the one complaint I agree with the OP about is how annoying it is to only be able to obtain pokemon through trading and/or events, and the only other complaint I have about every Pokemon game is not being able to have multiple save files.

oh. >_>
Aug 8, 2013 12:24 PM

Jul 2013
Sakana-san said:
johnyjohny said:
Did no one played BW2 ? I thought they were pretty damn good.

I've played BW(2) and I thought they were good, too! As it has actual vocal songs, animated sprites and an actual online extension (The dream world)

Almost like the cartoon!
Pikachu wants some
Aug 8, 2013 1:10 PM

Mar 2013
Never got in Pokemon.For me it's just meh.
So Far,so Good...So What!
Aug 8, 2013 1:24 PM

Jul 2010
Oh boy, This thread is filled with nostalgia fantards, never seen this before, nope.
Aug 8, 2013 3:14 PM

Feb 2013
Pokemon will look bland on the outside to people who do not follow the series but they always add in new things such as:

• EV training
  • The split between physical/special attacks (huge boost for some pokemon like sharpedo)
  • Iintroduction of stealth rock COMPLETELY changing the meta in gen 4 and gen making Rapid Spin a viable move
  • 2v2 battles evolving into 3v3 battles
  • Over 600 pokemon to use in your party
  • So many minigames
  • Introduction of Wifi Battles kept the game's replay value high even if none of your friends played pokemon anymore (sadface)
  • Pokemon Contests for those not into battling

There is so much more to list but I haven't kept up with the series after Pokemon Pearl( which somehow everyone hates in this thread) and played through Pokemon White in a half hearted manner.

I believe that Pokemon as a concept may be bland but looking deeper into it, Pokemon is always looking out for both the competitive scene and the casual scene and keeping it fun for everyone.
Aug 8, 2013 6:04 PM

Jan 2012
I used to really love the original Pokemon and a few afterwards. I've been emulating some of the newer titles though and I really can't get into it. Maybe it's just my taste changing as I'm getting older. I really do want to like it still though.
Aug 9, 2013 11:01 AM

Jan 2009
Bored with main campaign?

Learn more about "competitive pokemon". Go to Smogon University and read some things, build a team in Pokemon Showdown (a pokemon battle simulator in for web browser. No need to install anything) and get some battles. You will see the best side of Pokemon games, the competitive multiplayer battles.

Smogon University
Pokemon Showdown!
Aug 9, 2013 2:29 PM

Feb 2012
I've tried getting into Pokemon every single gen and each time I've failed. I feel as a big Nintendo fan I SHOULD like it but I just don't. It just seems like the same old crap over and over. I think the battle system in particular is long in need of an overhaul. Which looks like they have done for X and Y. So yeah I'll give it one more shot....
Aug 9, 2013 11:26 PM

Dec 2012
Emerald was the last good pokemon game
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Aug 12, 2013 2:39 AM

Jul 2013
TonyTin said:
Anything above generation 3 sucks dick. Actually, anything that isn't generation 3 sucks dick. HOENN REGION IS BEST REGION.
Hell yeah :D
Aug 16, 2013 1:39 PM

May 2012
I'm pretty burned out on Pokemon at this point. Last one I played was Black 1 and it was okay but I wish they would change the plot around more. It's always, go earn badges, new bad team appears, Legendary shows up and go fight the elite four and champion. Obviously, I'm over simplifying it and they tweak the order from time to time but it's the same basic formula. What if I don't want to be the best there ever was? What if I want to join team rocket and use my Pokemon master skills for crime? Then again, they are geared towards kids and preteens so I guess I'm asking for a bit too much.

I don't agree that anything above Gen 3 sucks because in all honesty, I liked Gen 4 better. Gold was my favorite ever though.
Aug 16, 2013 1:41 PM

Jul 2012
Kind of, but X and Y seem pretty fresh.
Aug 9, 2019 9:21 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I know it's cuz I'm some random person jumping on this thread 6 years later, but man this forum looks dated by now lol
Now that X/Y (as well as Sun/Moon/US/UM and whatever other games blah blah blah) are out, not many people see Gen 6 as promising as it probably looked at that time.
(idk, i actually didnt pay much attention to Gen 6 at the time, maybe cuz Gen 5 rubbed me the wrong way at the time and gave me the impression that I needed to take a break from Pokémon for a while)

I can't actually speak on Gen 6 since I didn't actually play it (my older sis did though), but I did play Gen 7 with Moon, and my god it really did open my eyes on this franchise. I dunno if I would say it was bland, but I certainly got bored of it here and there. In fact, my sister pre-ordered a copy of Moon for me, but I couldn't finish the main game until after 2 years of owning it.
There were a few times in between those years where I remembered I actually had the game and tried to progress bit by bit, but I somehow lost motivation and did this with a couple of months in between each time I remembered I had Moon. The story was a bit interesting and actually a little bit relatable (I'm embarrassed to admit this), and the region did have at least one memorable place for me (Malie City, cuz I'm a Johtoddler or something like that), but I still couldn't find myself consistently playing for at least a week or something.

Now idk if it's cuz I hate Pokémon now, so right after beating the main game of Moon (I didn't even start the post-game yet), I started playing Platinum.
I was somewhat familiar with Pearl since my sister beat Pearl and I would occasionally play some the post-game on her file (e.g. using the Poké Radar in attempts of finding Shinies), but I was otherwise entering Gen 4 blind. Unlike Moon, I actually found myself engaged to keep playing and only entered a month of hiatus like two times (mainly due to school).
I beat the game less than a year, much quicker than the time it took me to beat Moon. Despite the somewhat slowness (Platinum did improve speed-wise from Diamond/Pearl, but it still is maybe a bit slower than most other Pokémon games), I still found myself enjoying the game.

So how is it that a Gen 7 game couldn't impress me, but a Gen 4 game that I never played before did?
I dunno maybe the series really is getting blander (for me at least) and is just targetting the same audience of specifically the current generation of kids instead of also targetting seasoned fans or whatever

I mean (sorry this part may be a bit off-topic), I didn't like the giant tutorial Moon started off with. Diamond/Pearl, the 10th anniversary game, had like a 1 minute tutorial on catching Pokémon and a small Pokémon school (that I'm sure was optional). But Sun/Moon, the 20th anniversary game, had some giant mandatory unskippable school arc that took god-who-knows-how-long (some people say that it was an hour, but I honestly couldn't remember myself).
You'd think a franchise that has existed for 20 years wouldn't have to explain itself anymore, or at least have a "Nah, I'm good" button for the tutorial, like in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door or Super Mario RPG. I just think it's hilarious that Gen 7's tutorial is way slower than the tutorial of Gen 4, which is infamously the most slowest generation.

I guess they're getting a bit bland on monster design here and there too. The Pokémon franchise has certainly gotten some better-looking character designs in recent years (I love Lillie's design, if that's one good thing to say about Gen 7), but I honestly don't care for a good amount of the newer character designs.
I admit that when Gen 5 came out, I got into the hating-Garbador bandwagon. But I didn't understand the hate behind the Vanillite bandwagon, I legitimately think that's a cool looking Pokémon (no pun intended). idk maybe i just really want ice cream
And I don't really hate on Garbador anymore, it's just some crazy hate trend like how it was for Justin Beiber (who I also hated just for bandwagoning and stopped hating cuz I didn't find any legit reason to hate him... I mean I'm not following him or anything, but it just seems dumb for me to hate on him for no reason).
But nowadays I legitimately don't care for Pokémon like Charjabug (whatever it's called) or the derpy dragon thing, they look too plain to me and don't appeal to me I guess. I'm not interesting in getting Sword/Shield (the upcoming games), but I don't care for Yamper's design either.
There's more I got in mind with this but I cannot remember...that's how bland they are to me ig

idk what i'm saying anymore
sorry for bringing back this thread from the dead with a bigass and possibly redundant tangent, but that's just my thoughts. i did want to get on this thread because i stopped following Pokémon after Moon cuz Moon did feel boring to me, so i felt like i had to say something here

tl;dr these videos kinda explains my thoughts on the Pokémon franchise nowadays
Jul 4, 2021 9:36 PM
Dec 2017
Couple years later, and the series is still as cancerously milked as ever and it just fucking sucks now like Kingdom Hearts because of the way the devs are handling it.

Jul 6, 2021 4:19 AM

Aug 2020
Only bland mainline pokemon game i've played is gen 8, the recent one. It has felt they just dropped everything and made a barebones game for the switch. Apart from that, all the rest of them feel much better and have story and pretty good characters.

(yes gen 7 is my fav region)

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

More topics from this board

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

58 by Jentheworld »»
5 hours ago

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

5 by H1ruma »»
9 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 5:15 PM

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.