Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think scores on MAL are skewed too high?

New
Do you think scores on MAL are skewed too high?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 19, 2013 11:58 AM

Mar 2011
If I removed all the shows I watched airing then I would have an incredible positive bias in my ratings, after all I try to watch shows I will like. What this means is that I think that the majority of airing shows are below average.

I should stop watching stuff that I know is going to be shit.
Sep 19, 2013 12:01 PM

Jan 2013
Ragix said:
destonyDbaby said:
Have you considered that people who give a "7" might actually like the show ?
I mean any lower than a "5" you don't wanna force yourself to watch it right, so it goes right into your drop list, and if you did some how manage it to watch it then a "5" will be the rating, simple right ?

I don't quite follow what you're getting at. I'm just referring to influence of others' opinions not enjoyment, unless that was towards another post.

I'll try to take a jab though and say the MAL rating system differs from person to person. I mean, it's 1-10, but people hardly ever actually take it to heart.
There are quite a few people on here who uses for example, a 3-7 grading scale and anything higher is God-like tier to them. Quite a few users would say a 5 isn't bad, but people like me, whom tend to stick in the 6-9 range would see that a bit differently.

You usually don't rate an anime 1-4 because most time fantastic animation, sound and voice actors even you don't like the story, you can't deny those facts right ?

those people who uses 3-7 grade scale are picky people, mal clearly states what grade represents but those people want to make their own rating.

and yeah I am like you who usually use a 6-9 grading rate because anything lower I aint got time for that

Sep 19, 2013 12:39 PM
May 2012
destonyDbaby said:

You usually don't rate an anime 1-4 because most time fantastic animation, sound and voice actors even you don't like the story, you can't deny those facts right ?

I don't understand what you're trying to say.
Anyway, I gave Guilty Crown a 4 because it really is bad.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Sep 19, 2013 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Captain-Hawkeye said:
destonyDbaby said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say.
Anyway, I gave Guilty Crown a 4 because it really is bad.

guilty crown sucks but you can't the stunning animation, the beautiful ost and good voice acting right ?

Sep 19, 2013 12:45 PM

Apr 2013
Different people place different emphasis on different aspects of an anime.
Example : Some people are relatively indifferent to the art & the opposite for others.
Sep 19, 2013 2:56 PM

Jun 2013
I've thought of a solution... only beautiful people like me and Jelly should rate anime on MAL.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 19, 2013 3:04 PM

Apr 2013
Maria_Sama said:
I've thought of a solution... only beautiful people like me and Jelly should rate anime on MAL.

Pics or gtfo.
Sep 19, 2013 3:05 PM

Aug 2012
Maria_Sama said:
MellowJello singing said:
Baby, baby, baby, no.

I know you love me, and I'm sorry.

I live for the way you scream and shout for me.

But I'm gonna have to let you go.

Bye, bye, bye, baby.
Also spoiler alert: I haven't been watching anime for a while. Anime scores are all rigged, anime is a lie, Russia made anime, etc. etc.
Sep 19, 2013 4:08 PM

Apr 2007
Assuming that most anime are "average" it would make sense to rate them 5. But I pick out the top 25% to watch most of the time so it makes sense that I would rate them high. If most of my anime were rated 5 I'd be torturing myself because...why would I watch so many things that are only "average" when I can watch above average ones?
Sep 20, 2013 5:00 AM

Apr 2012
Rinshansan said:
Immahnoob said:
Uhm, who made that rule? I agree with popularity = quality, because it does pander to most, so it is successful, but then again, this isn't "objective" either. The sales are indeed an objective matter and show "popularity", but it still doesn't mean it's popularity = quality.

And yeah, DraconisMarch is an idiot, his posts, his YouTube videos (I was a subscriber until he blocked me), his ratings are all retarded only because he uses the word "objective" to accompany them. Of course, he also makes other mistakes which are even worse. Oh, and he is serious about his stuff, trust me.

This is how I feel towards the topic of objectivity because if there can't really be an exact definition to it, then it's best to go by sales and stuff to determine what's good by the masses. A collective opinion on a site like MAL means nothing to me so I'm presenting an antithesis to that paradigm. Again, I don't favor what's popular because one of my least favorite shows is a very high seller.

DraconisMarch is serious? Well that's one way to tell he's just plain old stupid. Pseudoelitism to back it up, lmfao.

I feel like pseudoelitism in general to describe ratings and on threads in anime general and why you say it's that number too while trying to be objective is pretentious as well. Who are they trying to impress anyways? Certainly doesn't work with me.

But don't forget the masses once thought that the Earth is flat. That's why you can't say what the masses like is the best. It's successful but still doesn't define quality. There is no need to have any rules to define "quality" anyway. Art quality was always subjective.

Trust me, he is an idiot... He's the type that starts arguing with you and after your first reply will block you. He messaged me on my MAL profile about how he is "objective" and then blocked me. When I told him one of his videos had some mistakes he messaged me a few times then blocked me even there. That's when I stopped visiting his videos even if they were funny.

It works with the "masses", hehehehehe. Go and check out his videos for example, you'll see a lot of people agreeing that people that watch certain shows are probably "retarded" while the shows Draconis likes have a godlike artistic value.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Sep 20, 2013 5:32 AM
May 2009
Considering the ratings I gave are based on first impressions Yes definately.
Sep 20, 2013 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
Well, I only watch stuff that is recommended and generally well rated.

The lower scores I have are from stuff I watched in the past.

So, poor quality stuff is likely to just, never register with anyone.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 20, 2013 7:21 AM

Jul 2012
well, imo the truth is anime is designed to be enjoyed. those animators work hard to create a piece of work for us and in general, it shows
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...
Sep 5, 2021 4:36 AM

Mar 2021
Most people won't watch anything rated below a 7 on MAL so it makes sense that most people's ratings are high since most are only watching at least "good" anime. Plus, it's hard to give any anime below a 6 unless your scrutinising it.
Sep 5, 2021 5:08 AM

Feb 2021
probably the only problem is caring about how high something is scored in the first place
Sep 5, 2021 6:11 AM

Aug 2020
No, I actually like how they are labelled right now

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What is the point of forums?

cosmosreceiver - 11 hours ago

21 by Adverrito »»
5 minutes ago

» Who has the oldest account on these forums?

blueblur - 2 hours ago

2 by blueblur »»
53 minutes ago

» How do you like your coffee? ( 1 2 )

Kvistis - Feb 8

72 by Yudesei »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

732 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» Did you ever cut ties with a family member or friend?

Sad - Today

19 by pludel2 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.