Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2013 3:41 PM
Jun 2013
Given the amount of fanservice in this show, would you guys classify this as an ecchi show? Or do you think ecchi is something that only relates to female fanservice?
Jul 3, 2013 3:42 PM
Jul 2012
no
Jul 3, 2013 3:44 PM

Sep 2012
Eh...

Not really. I mean, if this is considered ecchi, you'd have to consider DBZ ecchi too.

Shirtless muscular guys and all..

GoldenBRS said:
no
I thought you weren't going to watch it.
Jul 3, 2013 3:45 PM

Dec 2009
I'd say it's ecchi when the guys decide to cross dress and all we see is some delicious pantsu.

On a more serious note: So we had what in the first episode? Bathing? I have seen females bathing in MANY shows not qualified as ecchi. Swimsuits? Oh please, K-ON had a beach episode, is it ecchi?
Sir_LexaJul 3, 2013 3:51 PM
Jul 3, 2013 3:48 PM

Dec 2012
Yes. Although ecchi doesn't always mean fan-service. Something can be ecchi and have relevance to the plot.
Jul 3, 2013 3:52 PM

Oct 2012
no ecchii, i don't see any obvious signs of, "junk bulging out".
Jul 3, 2013 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
No, all it shows is guys with their tops off, it's not that sexual, yeah there's fanservice but that doesn't mean it's ecchi. Maybe it'd be ecchi if it had crotch shots and ass shots all over the place.
Jul 3, 2013 3:54 PM

Nov 2011
For me, definitely no. It's more a fun way of presenting the sports genre, something I haven't watched in a long time.
Jul 3, 2013 3:54 PM

Oct 2012
I wonder if there's going to be a beach episode.

There probably will be, right?
Jul 3, 2013 4:00 PM

Sep 2012
Nah. Just because the guys are shortless I wouldn't say that makes it ecchi. I mean, they are swimmers.
Jul 3, 2013 4:03 PM

May 2008
Ghost-Lightning said:
Nah. Just because the guys are shortless I wouldn't say that makes it ecchi. I mean, they are swimmers.
"shortless" would probably lead to an ecchi anime. :P
but i understand the typo error here XD
Jul 3, 2013 4:04 PM

Sep 2012
Oh...maybe that was just wishful thinking....wait what?
Jul 3, 2013 4:21 PM

Aug 2007
No it wouldn't.

Its not done in a sexual way. There are some shots of the guys bodies, close ups of their muscles but its never with an explicit pervert eye by the creators. This isn't High School of the Dead or To Love Ru here.
Jul 3, 2013 4:22 PM

Oct 2012
peacecraft said:
No it wouldn't.

Its not done in a sexual way. There are some shots of the guys bodies, close ups of their muscles but its never with an explicit pervert eye by the creators. This isn't High School of the Dead or To Love Ru here.

assuming you can't give guys panty-shots or breast shots... :/
Jul 3, 2013 4:28 PM
Jul 2013
Sure, for guys and girls who are into this sort of thing. =P
Jul 3, 2013 4:29 PM

Aug 2007
Danielcookie said:

You could I suppose (its not really the same though, seeing a guy's underwear or his chest, its just not as sexual like it is with women. At least not in my opinion.), but that's not what this show is about. We got close up of Haruka's wet stomach and some back shots, not really explicit (definitely not ecchi) but if you like to see wet guy's bodies then...
Jul 3, 2013 4:31 PM

Jul 2012
I thought Ecchi referred to intentional panty or boob shots plus actual sexual references...
Jul 3, 2013 4:36 PM
Jul 2013
peacecraft said:
Danielcookie said:

You could I suppose (its not really the same though, seeing a guy's underwear or his chest, its just not as sexual like it is with women. At least not in my opinion.), but that's not what this show is about. We got close up of Haruka's wet stomach and some back shots, not really explicit (definitely not ecchi) but if you like to see wet guy's bodies then...

Those shots are obviously there to appeal to the girl and gay demographic though. You don't see these type of shots in an anime like Kururo no baske t.
Jul 3, 2013 4:40 PM

Aug 2007
DivineHysteria said:

Those shots are obviously there to appeal to the girl and gay demographic though. You don't see these type of shots in an anime like Kururo no baske t.

Kuroko isn't a show made purely for female viewers... its just a shounen sports manga that runs in Weekly Jump written by a guy... the Kuroko manga is even less "gay" than the anime, as the anime added a lot of shots and whatnot to pander to female viewers.

You can't compare the two.
Jul 3, 2013 4:43 PM

Oct 2007
Skinny dipping and man ass shots are kind of ecchi I guess, but it looks like they might have just been trying to make a depression. I think it might help to wait a little bit to see where it goes before making that sort of call.
Jul 3, 2013 4:43 PM
Jul 2013
peacecraft said:
DivineHysteria said:

Kuroko isn't a show made purely for female viewers... its just a shounen sports manga that runs in Weekly Jump written by a guy... the Kuroko manga is even less "gay" than the anime, as the anime added a lot of shots and whatnot to pander to female viewers.

The only reason I put Kuroko as an example is because a lot of the posters here tried to compare it with Free. This show is nothing like Kuroko, and as much as people try to overlook it. This show has a intentional homoerotic atmosphere.
Jul 3, 2013 5:06 PM

Sep 2011
Uhh no, far from that, but it depends, as peacecraft stated, see'ing men shirtless or in their underwear isn't as sexual as it is with women, that's just how it is, each gender has their own qualities and traits and somethings apply only to one gender.

peacecraft said:

Lol at last someone who said it right, and the fact that you're a female viewer (sorry had to check your profile, not a stalker tho lol) is quite surprising see'ing as some viewers come up with ridiculous stuff sometimes. <3
Jul 3, 2013 5:08 PM

Oct 2011
Only is it got mildly explicit, but they don't even show the nipples!
pretty boys
Jul 3, 2013 5:15 PM

Jul 2011
Not really... ecchi would have been more provocative.
Jul 3, 2013 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
Well, then someone has to explain why Gintama is not labeled as ecchi lol.

Jul 3, 2013 6:31 PM

Aug 2007
Downgrade355 said:
Uhh no, far from that, but it depends, as peacecraft stated, see'ing men shirtless or in their underwear isn't as sexual as it is with women, that's just how it is, each gender has their own qualities and traits and somethings apply only to one gender.

peacecraft said:

Lol at last someone who said it right, and the fact that you're a female viewer (sorry had to check your profile, not a stalker tho lol) is quite surprising see'ing as some viewers come up with ridiculous stuff sometimes. <3

Haha, thank you! The most important thing about being as fan of something, it being able to not be delusional over it... no matter how much you might love it. Likebeing able to admit its obvious flaws or that fact fans ship things that aren't really there (guys being homo).
Jul 3, 2013 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
peacecraft said:

Haha, thank you! The most important thing about being as fan of something, it being able to not be delusional over it... no matter how much you might love it. Likebeing able to admit its obvious flaws or that fact fans ship things that aren't really there (guys being homo).

True true, but there are also people who deny obvious ship-invitations lol, i mean, we all know that most of these animes related to the subject don't have much going on in terms of ship bait (Like KnB as you mentioned), but i don't deny that there are a few animes that actually try to bait the ships, like Kuroshitsuji for example, and it's still subtle you know, it basically leaves it to your imagination, but yeah, fans shouldn't get delusional over things as you said, and we all can enjoy a peaceful discussion and anime-viewing, heuheuehueh, glad i had this conversation with you, and glad to know there are still people here who have some common sense. <3

now for the rest of y'all, let's enjoy the anime for what it is, and if there are any shippers out there, no one's gonna stop you from shipping, just no forcing it on others and we're all cool, kaaaaaaay? *cutesmile*
Jul 3, 2013 7:49 PM

May 2012
Too much fanservice. Seriously, LOL @ the fangirls and fanBeeburr's.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 5, 2013 11:26 AM
Nov 2011
DivineHysteria said:
peacecraft said:
DivineHysteria said:

The only reason I put Kuroko as an example is because a lot of the posters here tried to compare it with Free. This show is nothing like Kuroko, and as much as people try to overlook it. This show has a intentional homoerotic atmosphere.

I think the people trying to deny the homoerotic element are just unsure of their own sexuality.
Jul 5, 2013 11:45 AM

Jun 2013
re... re... reverse ecchi?
Jul 5, 2013 12:50 PM

Nov 2012
AirborneNinja said:
re... re... reverse ecchi?

A new genre is born. XD

Jul 6, 2013 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
No. That doesn't sound right.

||
Jul 7, 2013 3:02 PM

Aug 2011
AriaFlame said:
DivineHysteria said:
peacecraft said:
DivineHysteria said:

I think the people trying to deny the homoerotic element are just unsure of their own sexuality.

Learn the definition of homoerotic first. It means sexual/erotic attraction between people of the same gender.

No one is sexually attracted to each other. People can fantasize about it, make fanfics, doujinshi, etcetc but it's not homoerotic. And idc about my sexuality to be honest I'm just stating a fact.
Jul 8, 2013 5:59 PM
Jul 2013
Shirubaasouru said:

Too much fanservice?? You totally have not seen Highschool of the Dead (btw its an anime aimed for male audience, so it doesn't compare to Free! which is aimed for females, but HOTD is literally extreme with its fanservice)

Not to mention in HOTD boobies seem to dodge bullets, so unless if i see a male's private organ dodge a bullet, i wouldn't call it too much fanservice or ecchi LOL it did have the apron scene though..
Jul 8, 2013 6:57 PM
Jun 2013
Mayanei said:
Shirubaasouru said:

Too much fanservice?? You totally have not seen Highschool of the Dead (btw its an anime aimed for male audience, so it doesn't compare to Free! which is aimed for females, but HOTD is literally extreme with its fanservice)

Not to mention in HOTD boobies seem to dodge bullets, so unless if i see a male's private organ dodge a bullet, i wouldn't call it too much fanservice or ecchi LOL it did have the apron scene though..
There are way more fanservicy shows then Highschool of the Dead.

Seikon no Qwaser
To Love Ru Darkness
Kiss X Sis
Freezing
Hagure yuusha no Estetica
Highschool DXD
Queens Blade Rebellion
etc.
Seriously people Highschool of the Dead just scratches the surface of Ecchi
Jul 8, 2013 7:56 PM

Mar 2013
UtsukushiiYume said:
DivineHysteria said:

Learn the definition of homoerotic first. It means sexual/erotic attraction between people of the same gender.

No one is sexually attracted to each other. People can fantasize about it, make fanfics, doujinshi, etcetc but it's not homoerotic. And idc about my sexuality to be honest I'm just stating a fact.

I don't know about an intentional homoerotic atmosphere, but for sure this show has intentional homoerotic subtext. We can't say for sure whether the guys are attracted to each other in a physical sense, but the implication that they could be is there. Still, not enough for this show to be called ecchi.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jul 8, 2013 8:58 PM
Jul 2013
ecchijones said:
Mayanei said:
Shirubaasouru said:

There are way more fanservicy shows then Highschool of the Dead.

Seikon no Qwaser
To Love Ru Darkness
Kiss X Sis
Freezing
Hagure yuusha no Estetica
Highschool DXD
Queens Blade Rebellion
etc.
Seriously people Highschool of the Dead just scratches the surface of Ecchi

Just using one of them as an example.. but yeah you get my point xD!
Jul 8, 2013 9:18 PM

Apr 2013
Not really. It's a swimming anime. Stripping will be present and since they are all guys, homoerotic undertones are prevalent. But ecchi, I don't think so...

Jul 9, 2013 2:33 PM

May 2013
Sorry but if panty shots are considered ecchi then this is too, for sure.

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.