Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2009 2:45 AM

Sep 2008
Yo I have seen Moyashimon, Capeta and Initial D.

Those 3 have some light educational value, atleast to me.

Moyashimon is really great. Though capeta and Initial D is abit low but it is ok.

I am looking for something similar where you can learn something here and there that can actually be used/connected to real life.

Post anything you feel could be of interest. Thanks :3
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2009 2:50 AM

Nov 2008
LOl real life hmm Lucky Star??? You might learn something, maybe...

Its very SLice In A LIFE anime, its a parody of anime virtually, its really reali life ish

NOt sure about teaching you about anything though.

Its very connected to real life though
Jan 12, 2009 3:07 AM

Sep 2008
Ok thanks, sounds good, thats the kinnda stuff I am looking for.
Jan 12, 2009 3:25 AM

Oct 2008
I guess it depends on the particular field that you're after education in.
For example Nodame Cantabile is fairly educational in the field of music.

Hmm...looking through my list that's the best thing I could come up with =/
simo000Jan 12, 2009 4:20 AM
Jan 12, 2009 4:10 AM

Sep 2008
I am not looking for any special field or area.
Looking up Nodame now \o
Jan 12, 2009 9:40 AM

Sep 2007
Master Keaton. Full of facts and stuff with real value.
Jan 12, 2009 9:47 AM

May 2008
Akagi - learn about mahjong (the game is really fun if you play it in real life)
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Jan 12, 2009 9:49 AM

Mar 2005
Moetan teaches you to translate from japanese to english ;)
Jan 12, 2009 8:17 PM

Oct 2008
Bartender: slice of life with good overall animation

Aria of Origination: slice of life that took place on some other planet with strange-looking cats
Jan 12, 2009 8:22 PM

Sep 2008
I learned a heck of a lot about the way the brain works, and a bit about psychology, by watching Ghost Hound.
Jan 12, 2009 8:36 PM

Aug 2008
Naisho no Tsubomi

Actually, it's kinda funny and cute, but it also has a weird perv aspect to it.. ;) But I've only read the manga adapation.
Jan 12, 2009 9:20 PM

Jun 2008
Great Teacher Onizuka, Genshiken.
I'm back.
Jan 12, 2009 9:21 PM

Apr 2008
The Yakitate Japan manga taught me a whole lot about bread. I assume the anime is the same.
Jan 12, 2009 11:29 PM

Jul 2007
georgi said:
Akagi - learn about mahjong (the game is really fun if you play it in real life)

I second this. It's a really good start if you want to learn the basics behind mahjong. Although in my case it was what got me interested in the game in the first place.
Jan 13, 2009 1:19 AM

Sep 2008
Ok sounds very interesting, maybe I will start to play Mahjong to.
Jan 13, 2009 4:25 AM

Nov 2008
Yakitate Japan, I actually enriched my culinary/bakery knowledge watching it.

Twin Spica and Unhabitaded Planet SURVIVE have some valuable team work lesson and they're excellent to watch with kids. Twin Spica has some interesting astronomy fluff there.

Hikaru no Go. Well, you will probably not learn Go by watching it, but you can learn to appreciate this wonderful game.

Victorian Romance Emma. There are lotsa Victorian Age references on it.

For otaku (and other Japanese cultural) references, Lucky Star, Genshiken, Pani Poni Dash, Cromartie High School, Azumanga Daioh, and Hidamari Sketch can be watched for that.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Jan 13, 2009 8:46 AM

May 2008
Why, Moetan teaches you English!
kei-clone said:

Drats, beaten!:<

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 14, 2009 11:56 AM

Sep 2008
ukonkivi said:
Why, Moetan teaches you English!
kei-clone said:

Drats, beaten!:<

To bad it isn't the other way around I alrdy know english, would be nice to learn some Japanese.
Jan 14, 2009 12:05 PM

Oct 2007
spice and wolf i
f you want simple economics, if i have this right, explains a little on the macro scale i think, but it also takes place by the looks of it about 150 years earlier, nevertheless, good concept to understanding markets, economy with a history aspect
Jan 15, 2009 10:59 AM

Nov 2008
hikaru no go
it's about a boy that learns how to play 'go'
Come and look around at the autism club or the Yakuza FC!
Jan 16, 2009 6:00 AM

Sep 2008
nyamo said:
spice and wolf i
f you want simple economics, if i have this right, explains a little on the macro scale i think, but it also takes place by the looks of it about 150 years earlier, nevertheless, good concept to understanding markets, economy with a history aspect

I have seen Spice and Wolf, but it is still good to mention it here is someone else is interested.
Thank you so far I have found some interesting stuff.
Jan 16, 2009 11:48 AM

Mar 2008
ummmmm I have no clue especially since you rated most the stuff i saw lower than me but thats just how you rate it seems o i dont know but:

Ghost Hound ~ filled with psychology and neurology information

Welcome to The NHK~ (maybe).... the original story is loosely from the life of the guy who wrote the novel ..........not really useful unless you got some problems like some of the characters in it. But it has gotten some people to not kill themselves, no im not joking, really o.O

xxxHOLIC~ has some stuff you can relate to life

Death Note~ (kinda) teaches you the art of mind games lol

I guess it really determines what you want to "learn"
Jan 16, 2009 3:17 PM

May 2008
Pontus said:
To bad it isn't the other way around I alrdy know english, would be nice to learn some Japanese.

Yeah but it's about as good at teaching English as it is at teaching Japanese.
Meaning the same method works conversely.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 16, 2009 4:21 PM

Nov 2008
My recommendation would depend on what education you're looking for :D

As far as sneaky mind tricks? Death Note
As far as ninjutsu and useless blabber taking up half the series? Naruto.
As far as happiness and endless dreaming? AIR TV.
As far as how to look out for nature? Princess Mononoke and Pom Poko

It depends :D But there are 5 if you need them :3
I become lost on the animal trail without a way back...It was a dream that I had somewhere, a deja vu that I recall.....
Jan 16, 2009 8:22 PM

Jun 2008
Morticon said:
My recommendation would depend on what education you're looking for :D

As far as sneaky mind tricks? Death Note
As far as ninjutsu and useless blabber taking up half the series? Naruto.
As far as happiness and endless dreaming? AIR TV.
As far as how to look out for nature? Princess Mononoke and Pom Poko

It depends :D But there are 5 if you need them :3

In what are these shows educational again?
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 16, 2009 8:34 PM

Jul 2008
Shimashimatora no Shimajirou

Teaches you how to go to the bathroom
Jan 17, 2009 2:31 PM

Sep 2008
AlecPyron said:
Yakitate Japan, I actually enriched my culinary/bakery knowledge watching it.

Twin Spica and Unhabitaded Planet SURVIVE have some valuable team work lesson and they're excellent to watch with kids. Twin Spica has some interesting astronomy fluff there.

Hikaru no Go. Well, you will probably not learn Go by watching it, but you can learn to appreciate this wonderful game.

Victorian Romance Emma. There are lotsa Victorian Age references on it.

For otaku (and other Japanese cultural) references, Lucky Star, Genshiken, Pani Poni Dash, Cromartie High School, Azumanga Daioh, and Hidamari Sketch can be watched for that.

Could you please tell me what I would learn from watching Cromartie High School?
I don't doubt you just that I did not really think about it.

I have seen it but I did not notice anything really, though it was a few weeks or months maybe since I did see it.
But it's a great show!
PontusJan 17, 2009 3:11 PM
Jan 17, 2009 8:03 PM
Jun 2008
An obvious choice here would be Arjuna (Earth Maiden Arjuna), which was reportedly made for the express purpose of raising the environmental awareness of Japanese teenagers. It tells the story of Earth facing a possible environmental disaster, which a secret organization is trying to prevent. In the process, the show covers an amazing variety of subjects: nuclear power plants, no-till farming, genetically altered food, fast food, childbirth, the learn-by-rote educational system, etc.

The problem is that, if you already are aware of the common environmental concerns, the show's heavy pro-environment emphasis can come across as being somewhat overdone. If you can accept that you are not the target audience and overlook the show's "preachy-ness," you might find Ajuna to be a very interesting, intriguing, and thought-provoking show.

Arjuna also features an awesome soundtrack by Yoko Kanno which is widely ignored, even by people who claim to be fans of Yoko Kanno. The soundtrack alone is enough reason to watch the show, but it also tells a good story... and you might even learn something.
Jan 17, 2009 10:10 PM

Jul 2008
Akagi is fantastic, but the first series that popped up into my head, which Kira01 already mentioned, is Bartender. Just an absolute joy to watch. Goes over the history, trends, and origination of mixed drinks and personal tastes in Japan, Europe, and the United States. The beginning and end of each episode feature recipes and instructions for the mixed drinks seen on the show. There are interesting statistics about the alcohol consumption of people around the world interspersed throughout.

Definitely worth checking out.

Of course, if you liked Initial D, watch Wangan Midnight, which goes far deeper into repair, tuning, and handling of street race cars.
Jan 18, 2009 11:32 AM

Sep 2008
Thanks sounds very interesting, I am just finishing Nodame Cantabile, really good show.
Jan 18, 2009 11:41 AM

Jan 2009
Axis Powers Hetalia is going to tell us all about the different countries during/after World War II, I believe. haha
Jan 19, 2009 3:18 AM

Sep 2007
Saiunkoku Monogatari. You learn about politics and women's status in old days.
Jan 19, 2009 5:16 AM

Jul 2008
samurai champloo- hiphop culture + edo era.

Jan 19, 2009 7:19 AM

Jun 2008
E_chan said:
Saiunkoku Monogatari. You learn about politics and women's status in old days.

I was going to suggest that one
Jan 21, 2009 4:57 AM

Sep 2008
I have seen Samurai Champloo.

I have seen Cantabile Nodame now and it is good if you like classical music, I would recommend it.

Though I would not recommend for example Hajime no ippo for actually learning something about boxing. Though it can be great for giving inspiration to start training.
I think they mention some legendary boxers in Hajime no ippo but I would say it is pointless to watch it to actually learn anything.
Jan 21, 2009 6:21 AM

Aug 2008
I'm sorry but i must ask how initial D is educational? :S

i've read 425 chapters of the manga and not learnt anything.
i suppose at most you learn a little about japanese cars but yeah :S
Jan 21, 2009 10:10 AM

Sep 2008
legiondairy said:
I'm sorry but i must ask how initial D is educational? :S

i've read 425 chapters of the manga and not learnt anything.
i suppose at most you learn a little about japanese cars but yeah :S

I haven't read the Manga, but from watching the anime I have learnt abit about waight shifting, braking will give better grip on front tires for example and reduce grip on the rear so it is easier to drift etc.
It also teaches some gear shifting and stuff I think I remember that, was kinnda long time since I did watch it.
Yes and as you said you learn abit about Japanese cars, it is lightly educational.

But yeah it is abit close to hajime no ippo, but I think if your interested in cars you can learn abit from Initial D but not much.
Jan 21, 2009 10:30 AM

Aug 2008
Pontus said:

I haven't read the Manga, but from watching the anime I have learnt abit about waight shifting, braking will give better grip on front tires for example and reduce grip on the rear so it is easier to drift etc.
It also teaches some gear shifting and stuff I think I remember that, was kinnda long time since I did watch it.
Yes and as you said you learn abit about Japanese cars, it is lightly educational.

But yeah it is abit close to hajime no ippo, but I think if your interested in cars you can learn abit from Initial D but not much.

well fair enough but if you try to apply that to real life like you suggested in the OP you're likely to learn a lot about speeding tickets.

and those techniques don't work with all cars, for example trying to drift a car with terrible oversteer in that manner will ultimately make you spin.

but you do learn an awful lot about driving the hachi roku from it.
Jan 21, 2009 10:59 AM

Sep 2008
Yes ofc, but say your speeding and your car starts to understeer maybe you will remember to break and be able to save your car, or spin, crash and burn.

But you also learn about different cars, that Skyline use grip and what kind of engine they have, you learn about the awsome Mazda RX7 to!
PontusJan 22, 2009 10:25 AM
Jan 21, 2009 11:27 AM

Aug 2008
i wouldn't go as far as to call an rx7 awesome but that's just personel preference.

With the skyline you gotta remember that only the GT-R is the grip machine, the other skylines are more like driving a slightly bigger silvia.

Good point about understeering, i didn't think of it that way =/
Jan 21, 2009 7:24 PM

Jun 2008
Welcome to the NHK - you learn the about hikikomoris and what they deal with.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Jan 22, 2009 10:27 AM

Sep 2008
Ok maybe I should check NHK abit more. I haven't been able so far.
Jan 22, 2009 11:45 AM

May 2008
Le Chevalier D'Eon
A history lesson taking place right before the French Revolution. Plus lots of thrills and action.
Jan 25, 2009 2:29 AM

Sep 2008
Maybe Over Drive can teach you something about riding a racing bike, I did learn some from it atleast.
Jan 25, 2009 2:45 AM

Apr 2008
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Jan 25, 2009 2:46 AM

Sep 2008
Spring and Chaos
Nitaboh
Jan 28, 2009 12:47 AM

Sep 2008
I have chnged my mind about Hajime no ippo. it can tach you something, though you need to know what your looking for, tricky to explain.

But since I started boxing I think it is mostly just crap but there is some real stuff in there if you know abit about boxing.
Jan 28, 2009 8:01 AM

Aug 2007
If you want to learn about guns, I recommend Gunsmith Cats. Ignore the OVA unless you really like it. Read the manga.

Ghost In The Shell sort of teaches some philosophy and sociology. There are some great ideas behind meme theory and similar ideas in SAC, Innocence is full of existentialism, and SSS is full of contemporary Japanese social problems. Additionally, read the manga for tons of factual and fascinating footnotes and so on about cybernetics, AI, cyborgs, and so on - the stuff that goes into Masamune Shirow works and makes them as detailed as they are. Reading his series Appleseed is good for that too, among other things, notably special forces operational proceedures.
Jan 29, 2009 11:11 PM
Sep 2008
Not 'specially giving thought to it; only thing that came to mind for me was NHK ni Youkoso (or however it was spelled), so I'll third it.

Despite the dismissiveness with which that one person suggested it, it does have some references to Japanese literature, plus it's educational on Japanese culture/society, hikkikomori, and that one marketing triangle thing. So I'd say it's at least as educational as Moyashimon.

Oh, but you said you'd look at it, so you've probably already figured that out. Oh well.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» can you recommend me an anime i havent watched?

berkcan4you - Yesterday

8 by Eleben »»
3 hours ago

» Anime/ Manga to binge

theD00mGuy - May 1

5 by Eleben »»
3 hours ago

» need some loli Hmanga recommendations

Introvert_ShutIN - Yesterday

2 by MadanielFL »»
4 hours ago

» Any anime/manga with birds as the main focus?

doomteensy - Yesterday

4 by Lucifrost »»
4 hours ago

» Drama/sentimental anime

xSamdavidx - Yesterday

7 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.