Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2007 8:51 PM

Mar 2005
so...has anyone seen this movie so far, or at least watch the trailer?

I just rewatched the trailer today and...obviously I'm reminded of the same horrible feelings that I got when watching the trailer back in August. It's as bad as the movie for Air. Somehow whoever at Toei is behind these two movies, he/she is somehow taking very generous liberties with the original stories.

anyways, the trailer...was 9 minutes of Tomoya (voiced by a different seiyuu from the KyoAni series) just talking on...and on...and on... while we're forced to look at furniture, scenes of nature, a school, and various other symbolic images from the original game destroyed into mundaneness by this horrible adaptation. we see Nagisa for less than 10 seconds. and she's the only character we see for the entire 9 minute trailer. not to mention her design is completely screwed up as we've seen previously in Kanon 2002 and Air movie

wow, so has anyone endured this movie yet? after crying (and not in a good way either) at the Air movie and seeing this, I'm not sure I wanna watch this despite how much I love the Clannad franchise.
kei-cloneOct 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Oct 16, 2007 8:57 PM

Feb 2007
Well, as I said in the club, I'll be waiting for the series to finish before watching the movie. But I hope it doesn't go all weird like the Air movie. Regardless, I'd watch it out of curiosity.
Oct 16, 2007 9:24 PM

Jan 2007
the air movie was great imo, and i'm sure this will be good as well.
Oct 16, 2007 9:29 PM

Mar 2007
I certainly hope it won't be like the Air movie.. I remember turning it off and deleting it after 10minutes.. I haven't even watched the trailer yet, maybe I should check it out.
Oct 16, 2007 10:13 PM

Apr 2007
lol, so true... The air movie sucked, and kanon 2002 animation and artstyle horrendous. Clannad movie will probly be the same as air movie, that means it will probly suck... yeah, the trailer sucked, 9 whole minutes of the same stuff over and over again. Greatly entertaining, now im completly hyped u pfor the movie! :D.... D: ....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2007 6:23 AM

Oct 2007
I guess I haven't seen it myself either, but from the trailers alone, I could tell I'd like the KyoAni version better by only one thing: Nagisa.

For some reason, the smiling Nagisa seemed like two things: One, early 90's art style, like something done in that age, if you didn't take other effects into consideration. Two, smiling like an idiot. For some reason, her wide-eyed smile seemed relatively unrealistic, and didn't fit in the slightest. In fact, everyone was smiling like an idiot in that trailer.
So the KyoAni trailer showed me another side: Nagisa is not overly happy; in fact she's rather quiet. Her family is rather a normal sweet, rather than smiling stupidly as well. Kyou is not some smiling bimbo, but a rather angry girl (So far.). A few pictures made me think Tomoyo was going to be portrayed as the melancholic girl, when instead she's rather tough. I didn't catch the other two.
Frankly, I think most of my qualms were done from opinions collected of the last adaptations they did, and the art style. For some reason, KyoAni just seems to be able to do the "big eye" style so well, while Toei looks like they're stuck in the 90's.

So, after 3 episodes of the TV version, I figure my thoughts were correct. If ADV brings this over as well... skip the movie this time, and just do the series.
Nov 24, 2007 12:16 AM

Nov 2007
does this really need discussion? XD toei sucks at everything they do and should be branded as a failure of an animation studio -.-

i watched the trailer for the movie and by the time i came to, an hour had passed. i dont think ill watch the movie after that...

XjellocrossNov 26, 2007 9:58 PM
Dec 14, 2007 3:26 PM

May 2007
Well, the Air movie, wasn´t that bad, was it?
I don´t remember. Maybe i blocked that memory off my head...
Well, who cares?
Come on guys, you didn´t even saw the movie, and are already saying it sucks? Come on.
Give me a break. Trailers always suck.
Dec 16, 2007 10:38 PM

Nov 2007
The Air movie was as much "bad" as "drastically different".

But as to the topic... I think KyoAni has a better track record with these things. ;)
Dec 22, 2007 8:13 PM

Jun 2007
I didn't think the Air movie was "BAD" but yea i obviously liked the series better ._. now as for kanon 2002... nobody in their right MIND would like that thing over Kannon 2006. o_ó and if somebody like that does exist, well i would like to volunteer and give him/her a good chop on the head >_> nandeane?!
I am fearfull and cautiouse about watching the Clannad Movie... and if i ever DO watch it, it will be after i finish the series
toei = ftl! D:

Jan 4, 2008 5:59 PM

Jul 2007
Even if it a bit sound crazy I know some peoples who think kanon 2002 is a lot better than kanon 2006 ^^. They say the storytelling is better and the anime doesn't lose precious time over stupid thing like kanon 2006 did, well anyway I can't really understand those guy
Jan 4, 2008 6:04 PM

Nov 2007
yea, you tell them this for me, "Go to hell" :DDDDD

sorry for any 2002 fans, i dont mind if you like it, but if you say it's better than 2006...fail....
Jan 9, 2008 6:24 PM

Sep 2007
Still no subs for this?
Jan 31, 2008 1:24 AM

Dec 2007
Let me guess, 1h25m of Fuko saying 'dozo' then 5 minutes of plot.
Jan 31, 2008 2:03 AM

May 2006
eldrick said:
Even if it a bit sound crazy I know some peoples who think kanon 2002 is a lot better than kanon 2006 ^^. They say the storytelling is better and the anime doesn't lose precious time over stupid thing like kanon 2006 did, well anyway I can't really understand those guy

That's my thinking. Plot-wise I prefer 2002 rather than 2006, exactly due to the storytelling point. Just rewatch them after each other and you'll see how much time was wasted in 2006 on some characters and others were just pushed back into the shadow. The time distribution for each character in 2006 was rather poor, but that's just my personal opinion.

As far as the AIR movie goes, I don't know why everyone thinks it was so bad. It had a much different approach on the plot than the series and thus it is a bit hard to make a direct comparison in between. I actually welcomed this, since it wasn't a usual (harem) visual novel to anime conversion with lots of female characters, a lame male and him screwing around with everyone.

Due to my personal interests I'm looking forward to the movie, however given what the series was like (from my own opinion) I'd like to see how Toei will be able to shake the same old story over again that Key lazily came up with (read: generated substantial sales due to the same chemistry that AIR and Kanon had -- the usual formula for success with this type of games).
martinoJan 31, 2008 2:09 AM

"I'll go crazy by the end of the year" - K Fu's comment while doing Proofs and Number Theory in Advanced Higher Maths
Mar 3, 2008 4:20 AM

Apr 2007
I didnt see kanon 2002 but i have to say kanon 2006 was a very good anime...Maby there were many jokes but they were FUNNY. As for the story it developed good and i like how they put the comedy and drama after eachother. I tried watching kanon 2002 but after seeing that its almost the same as 2006 i dropped it (can bear to watch exacly the same).

About the AIR movie, we all know the serie is better...i did miss the other chars of the serie but i didnt mind being a bit diffrent story cause if it would be the same story as the serie people will say its boring cause they watched the serie alrddy (i wouldnt even watched it if it was the same). I don't care about the quality cause its just diffrent but not bad. And the story about kanna was better to follow and better understandable.

I think clannad movie will be a bit the same quality was AIR movie and kanon 2002.

Mar 8, 2008 1:17 AM

Sep 2007
Watched this last night after the dvd image was released online...

IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!
- Tomoya has a completely different personality in the movie compared to the game. He was just labeled a delinquent in the game but was actually very kind hearted (told Nagisa to look for the next fun thing when he first met her), but in the movie he was really cold towards her until later on.
- Nagisa followed Tomoya around kinda forcefully in the movie and smiled a lot even though he was cold towards her, but she was supposed to be the type who wouldn't like to cause trouble for others in the game.
- Sunohara was actually less of a loser...they showed him fight against the soccer players who caused his spot on the soccer team to be replaced, and he kicked ass.
- Kyou and Tomoyo were friends from the start, with Kyou helping Tomoyo with her election (in the game and the anime, Kyou only meets Tomoyo through Tomoya). What's more, Kyou and Tomoyo didn't have any romantic attractions towards Tomoya.
- Kotomi was leading the choir and didn't have any lines, with total screen time of around 10-15 seconds total of the entire 1 hour 33 minutes of the movie.
- Fuuko doesn't exist.
- Tomoya and Sunohara knew Yoshino Yuusuke pre-movie, and refers to him as Yoshino-senpai.
- Ibuki sensei can beat up Sunohara in a fist fight...
- The original dream world with the solitary girl and the child made out of scraps was replaced by some weird ass story with a gay clown and a bike...(not even joking about this one...wtf).
- Some really weird scenes/twists that were meant to be dramatic and even had special sound effects to enhance it...but most of them were epic fail.
- THEY CHANGED THE DANGO DAI KAZOKU SONG!!!

With all the changes, this technically isn't Clannad anymore...

About the main topic itself, I'm just guessing this and has no actual support for it but isn't Toei just the animators for this movie? KEY and visual arts are ultimately the ones who planned out the scenario right? So aren't they the ones who fugged up?
"A ray of Hope....a vague Wish...can only spark from Despair.
-C.C.- Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch
Mar 8, 2008 5:37 AM

Jun 2005
Dmodwc said:
About the main topic itself, I'm just guessing this and has no actual support for it but isn't Toei just the animators for this movie? KEY and visual arts are ultimately the ones who planned out the scenario right? So aren't they the ones who fugged up?

Unlikely, Toei got the rights and are the producing studio, not a subcontracted animation studio while somebody else is handling the scenario and script as it is with Kara no Kyoukai or the new Batman movies e.g., they can do what they want with the material. Well, you can just look up the credits for involvement of other parties. I don't have it yet, but ANN at least lists Toei's own Makoto Nakamura responsible for the script, who was already responsible for the mangled first Kanon series and the Air movie (which is from an average viewer's, who isn't accustomed to anime, point of view, better than the series). Would actually expect the Clannad movie to be more feasible than the series for the undefiled anime watcher as well.
Mar 8, 2008 10:13 AM

Mar 2005
Fuuko doesn't exist

LOL maybe tat was intentional
Mar 10, 2008 7:39 AM

Nov 2007
Dmodwc said:
Watched this last night after the dvd image was released online...

IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!
- Tomoya has a completely different personality in the movie compared to the game. He was just labeled a delinquent in the game but was actually very kind hearted (told Nagisa to look for the next fun thing when he first met her), but in the movie he was really cold towards her until later on.
- Nagisa followed Tomoya around kinda forcefully in the movie and smiled a lot even though he was cold towards her, but she was supposed to be the type who wouldn't like to cause trouble for others in the game.
- Sunohara was actually less of a loser...they showed him fight against the soccer players who caused his spot on the soccer team to be replaced, and he kicked ass.
- Kyou and Tomoyo were friends from the start, with Kyou helping Tomoyo with her election (in the game and the anime, Kyou only meets Tomoyo through Tomoya). What's more, Kyou and Tomoyo didn't have any romantic attractions towards Tomoya.
- Kotomi was leading the choir and didn't have any lines, with total screen time of around 10-15 seconds total of the entire 1 hour 33 minutes of the movie.
- Fuuko doesn't exist.
- Tomoya and Sunohara knew Yoshino Yuusuke pre-movie, and refers to him as Yoshino-senpai.
- Ibuki sensei can beat up Sunohara in a fist fight...
- The original dream world with the solitary girl and the child made out of scraps was replaced by some weird ass story with a gay clown and a bike...(not even joking about this one...wtf).
- Some really weird scenes/twists that were meant to be dramatic and even had special sound effects to enhance it...but most of them were epic fail.
- THEY CHANGED THE DANGO DAI KAZOKU SONG!!!

I lol'd.

This movie is meant to be reinterpretation of the Nagisa storyline.
Screw the other girls : do you really think that in 1h30, they have time to develop the other girls ? No, they don't. It's already a good thing they are shown on screen. And screw Fuuko. It's such a good thing she doesn't exist in the movie. Her character is annoying, boring, uninspired, one-dimensional, and her story friggin' wasted 10 episodes of the anime who could have been allowed to Kyou and Ryou or the After Story. It's also a good thing that Kyou and Tomoyo don't have any romantic feelings towards Tomoya : it would feel as "haremic" as the KyoAni version, and it absolutely wouldn't be necessary to the Nagisa storyline. And Kotomi... OK, her arc was great, but please, someone, tell me what is her role in the storyline ?... Standing by and repeating "Are you a bully ?"

Ultimately, this is not meant to be "Clannad". This is meant to be another Clannad, from another point of view. Of course it's gonna be different, some characters will be different, some points of the storyline will be different. It is not KyoAni hopelessly trying to squeeze the immense script of the game into 24 episodes (seriously, don't tell me that they didn't screw the Kyou arc, they even have to make free fanservice with Kyou's delicious thigh meat to give her character a sense), it is Toei (and Osamu Dezaki, one of the best directors of the previous century) interpreting the Nagisa storyline differently. They don't have to stick to the original material as a baby has to stick to his mother's breasts to survive. They offer the viewer another Clannad. A movie recap of the series would just be boring.

And as for the Air movie, opinions diverge, but I really liked it. I think I even like the movie better than the series (and I am not "an average viewer, who isn't accustomed to anime"), because it was different from the series and very interesting to watch. Also, some say that the time distribution for characters in Kanon 2006 is poor, but it was even worse in Air : six episodes and nothing ever happens, the main guy just wastes his time with girls who have no real connexion with the main storyline ("the girl with the wings"), and then the (magnificent) Misuzu storyline actually develops. Thankfully, the movie didn't waste any time on the other two girls and went straight to the point.

This is what the Clannad movie has done. It went straight to the point. And the point is Nagisa's storyline and the After Story.
WindspiritMar 10, 2008 1:39 PM
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
Aug 5, 2009 9:34 AM

Jul 2009
This movie is worst!
what the hell's with the story, it almost compeletely different with the real clannad
since nagisa become so talkative but so clumsy, different Tomoyo n kyou character, NO FUKO

feel regret to watch this ~_~
May 14, 2010 12:54 PM

Jan 2010
Dmodwc said:

this made me literally LMAO xD,soo true :)

and
Dmodwc said:

this.

clannad movie...you suck :)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 2, 2010 8:46 AM
Dec 2008
Xjellocross said:
does this really need discussion? XD toei sucks at everything they do and should be branded as a failure of an animation studio -.-

On what basis should Toei Animation be branded as a failure?The studio has been around since 1948 and has produced countless of successful,even iconic titles.A number of shows with highest TV ratings and cultural statuses have been made by Toei Animation.

And after DECADES of success and revenue,after DECADES of making shows with mass appeal,after GENERATIONS raised on their works,they should be seen as a failure,just because they supposedly failed with an adaptation of a Key game that no one outside the Otaku world even cares about?

Also,don't bother replying with "their anime sucks" and detailed argumentations of that position.Since the point is about success,whether their shows are good or not hardly affects the fact that they are,indeed, successful.
SanderRXJul 2, 2010 9:19 AM
Jul 5, 2010 3:35 AM

Feb 2010
i can only put this movie in two words : "EPIC FAIL" just like what the others said this movie ain't even clannad anymore and the art style was nothing compared to what kyoani made. i can't say anything anymore just that this movie sucked....
Jul 5, 2010 5:32 AM
May 2009
I watched the movie, and it isn't that bad, the different voice pissed me off a tad. but other then that its good.
Aug 7, 2010 7:40 AM

Jan 2010
Why do people is so stupid to talk about kanon or air?
is this a topic talking about air or kanon?
no

When you make an adaptation, of course it is supposed to be different.
If not, the movie will be useless and the same people who say now "well, this movie is shit because it is not clannad", would say "well, this movie is shit because it is the same story than the anime."
Stop trolling about any movies. U ppl are never satisfied.

Adding to that, I think you haven't paid to look the movie.
And if that's the case, you are the worst.
thx bye -_-

I have appreciated the movie even if kotomi and fuko (my preferred chars) are not in the movie.
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Aug 7, 2010 9:16 AM

Dec 2007
I liked the movie's ending.

Having

That ending sucked so badly. Now, the movie wasn't good in a lot of things. I particularly didn't like that whole "I have the same dream as you do" crap during the play, but overall I much prefer the movie ending. It doesn't require a diagram to comprehend what happened.
Sep 11, 2010 7:40 PM

Jan 2009
clannad4ever said:

Hahahahahahha. Mind crush! Did I just kill a gay clown?

Seriously though, this movie was epic fail all over the place BUT it did manage to get something right - the ending. Although really forcefull and lolwut /I'm atached to Ushio and I was like, omg the reunion! time to cry!!! And just as I started, some random credits appeared. Oh wait. It ended. Ooooh..../ THAT should've been the ending.

At first I thought this indeed is Nagisa's arc, but later on I realized this is nothing like the game. HELL, I liked Nagisa! WHAT. I hate Nagisa. She was, like, totally different here. Not that I'll fangirl over her or anything, but she was, I don't know. Less anoying.

Tomoya's voice was actually pretty good. Thank God.

And so here's a question: WHY put Tomoyo and Kyou in the movie?! They were not needed, ffs. Don't get me wrong, I AM a Kyou fangirl, but this was ridiculous. She was totally different, she was like some sort of b*tch, along with Tomoyo, following her around, like they were some popular girls tormenting the nerds. At least I got that feeling. So why?! And then they are friends with Tomoya all of a sudden? And yet another thing: A club needs FOUR members. Not THREE. Toei, you dissapoint me.

Also, where's Jun-sama's marvelous music?!! I wanna kill that toei composer for ruining so many scenes. Also, bad direction. At some points I got dizzy, at some points I got confused... The scene changes were tedious.

Also, why is Yoshino with green hair? What is wrong with Akio's hair?!?!

So, all in all, I liked only the ending and some facial expressions, mostly by Sunohara. Man, they were funny. I don't remember awesome expressions like those in KyoAni's version. They should take a note. But that's the only thing Toei managed to do in the end. This movie was a fail. Way to ruin my crying, faggots. And I love to cry. Ruining it is equal to killing all my fun.

One last thing: I find it pretty funny that Kotomi was in charge of a choir xD /I don't know the word in english, but the one that's waving around some sticks/. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH That made my day!!! She can't play instruments for shit, yet she's in charge of a choir? HAHAHAHAH
Nao-staniSep 11, 2010 7:45 PM

More topics from this board

» I know this movie's not looked upon fondly however

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 27, 2022

6 by Theo1899 »»
Sep 29, 2022 10:59 AM

Poll: » Clannad (Movie) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Mar 11, 2008

171 by Gendolfas »»
Sep 3, 2022 5:33 AM

Poll: » Should I watch the series first?

woojoo666 - Dec 2, 2013

8 by DC27 »»
Sep 6, 2021 7:07 AM

» Is it bad that I prefer the movie to the series??

jammydodger63 - Sep 18, 2012

29 by _DaikazokuDango_ »»
Oct 11, 2020 3:05 PM

» Prefer the series over movie.

ShaggyJonJ - Apr 17, 2018

2 by ShaggyJonJ »»
Apr 30, 2018 11:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.