Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 29, 2013 11:12 AM

Apr 2012
The fans.
May 29, 2013 12:40 PM
May 2012
someone already said it basically but when a protagonist is constantly whiny and pessimistic it can make a show a real drag to watch.
May 29, 2013 1:25 PM

Sep 2012
DYRE said:
Ghostony said:
Most guys aren't that pathetically dog-like in real life..

Anime is not real life.
But it's a fictitious representation of real life.
May 29, 2013 1:29 PM

Jun 2012
not following the manga for the worst.
May 29, 2013 1:47 PM

Dec 2012
-Things being animated before the source material is finished resulting in several forms of disaster
-Friggin' Recap Episodes. Do they think we all have ADD or Alzheimer's and can't remember what happened in a show we're following? Or last week even?
-Filler
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 29, 2013 2:04 PM
Nov 2012
Worst thing about anime... I guess when people who know nothing about anime judge you because of the idea they get in your head.

Either that, or the fact some of them get kind of "slow" after a while... there's many anime I love, but I can't help but feel the majority just has this one, tiny little thing missing that I can't put my finger on... not sure if this is normal... I haven't been into other media in a while after all xD;;;
May 29, 2013 3:13 PM

May 2013
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.
May 29, 2013 3:14 PM

May 2013
I can't stand seeing my favourite characters (villains, usually) suffer or die. It makes me want to punch a baby or kick a dog.
May 29, 2013 3:20 PM

Dec 2011
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO.

Agreed, nearly every anime completely falls apart in the final act.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
May 29, 2013 3:24 PM

Jul 2010
Eckilsax said:
Gon_Killua said:

Weirdly enough I agree with this. I've decided to not put too much stock into endings anymore. I now take most of my enjoyment from the middle of an anime.
May 29, 2013 3:27 PM

Dec 2011
It's like they think as long as everything ties up in a neat little bow, it doesn't matter at all how we get there or if it hangs together at all.
May 29, 2013 3:55 PM

Aug 2012
Valkyrie_Wings said:
Eckilsax said:
Gon_Killua said:

Weirdly enough I agree with this. I've decided to not put too much stock into endings anymore. I now take most of my enjoyment from the middle of an anime.
Huh. Now that I think about it, I can't remember more than a handful of anime with decent endings and/or last arcs despite having 100+ completed. No wonder I find it extremely difficult to rate something a 10/10.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
May 29, 2013 3:58 PM
Mar 2013
Overuse of moe and fanservice with a combination of harem, where the hottest girls in the whole damn world are in live with the weakest guy on the planet. Everything else is pretty much bearable.
May 29, 2013 4:05 PM

Sep 2011
Recap episodes. Oh god what's the point of that episode? Well, that usually happens on long run anime and I rarely watch long run anime.

May 29, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2012
Tennouji_ said:
Recap episodes. Oh god what's the point of that episode? Well, that usually happens on long run anime and I rarely watch long run anime.
It's a complete disaster when it happens on standard 12-26 episode anime. It doesn't add anything, and it needlessly pushes the series back one week.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
May 29, 2013 4:51 PM
May 2013
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:

not saying any names here *cough* Naruto*cough*
May 29, 2013 4:54 PM

Dec 2011
gamer2710 said:
Tennouji_ said:
It's a complete disaster when it happens on standard 12-26 episode anime. It doesn't add anything, and it needlessly pushes the series back one week.

It's far from a disaster. You can just hit skip, or worse case scenario you have to wait a week. It's annoying yes, but harmless. Much worse is when an anime doesn't wrap up at all, ends in the middle of an arc, or ends in a completely rushed, half-assed manner. Which seems to be the industry norm. Now that's a disaster.
May 29, 2013 4:58 PM

Dec 2011
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:

Do you hate character development as well? Flashbacks can be overdone but they are rarely just filler.
May 29, 2013 6:00 PM

May 2013
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:

Do you hate character development as well? Flashbacks can be overdone but they are rarely just filler.

I freaking love Character development but my shot was directed at Naruto (which I cannot marathon because the flashbacks are painful). If a writer is truly skilled he wouldn't need rely on flash backs almost at all if the emotional or psychological impact left by the plot was unforgettable. A few examples of that (my opinion of coarse) would be Clannad and Shuffle! I never forgot a single detail simply due to the immense character depth the Lead Protagonists possessed and how each person played a role in the story... My point summed up basically means... If the cast doesn't blow and the story never has a dull moment then the audience eats up that shit like visual crack and wont need reminders about what they saw 5 episodes ago.
May 29, 2013 6:33 PM

Dec 2011
Kslate23 said:
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:

I freaking love Character development but my shot was directed at Naruto (which I cannot marathon because the flashbacks are painful). If a writer is truly skilled he wouldn't need rely on flash backs almost at all if the emotional or psychological impact left by the plot was unforgettable. A few examples of that (my opinion of coarse) would be <b>Clannad and Shuffle!</b> I never forgot a single detail simply due to the immense character depth the Lead Protagonists possessed and how each person played a role in the story... My point summed up basically means... If the cast doesn't blow and the story never has a dull moment then the audience eats up that shit like visual crack and wont need reminders about what they saw 5 episodes ago.

Please don't ever say Clannad and Shuffle in the same sentence... >.<

But I get what you're saying about Naruto. I would argue that multiple flashbacks in a single fight is just what Naruto does. It's been that way from the very first fight. I'd also say that a good 80% of the flashbacks in Naruto are integral to the characters. However I've never watched a single episode of the anime, I'm just going by the manga.
May 29, 2013 6:41 PM

May 2013
Eckilsax said:
Kslate23 said:
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:

I freaking love Character development but my shot was directed at Naruto (which I cannot marathon because the flashbacks are painful). If a writer is truly skilled he wouldn't need rely on flash backs almost at all if the emotional or psychological impact left by the plot was unforgettable. A few examples of that (my opinion of coarse) would be <b>Clannad and Shuffle!</b> I never forgot a single detail simply due to the immense character depth the Lead Protagonists possessed and how each person played a role in the story... My point summed up basically means... If the cast doesn't blow and the story never has a dull moment then the audience eats up that shit like visual crack and wont need reminders about what they saw 5 episodes ago.

But I get what you're saying about Naruto. I would argue that multiple flashbacks in a single fight is just what Naruto does. It's been that way from the very first fight. I'd also say that a good 80% of the flashbacks in Naruto are integral to the characters. However I've never watched a single episode of the anime, I'm just going by the manga.
I think every flash back in Naruto was necessary. Without them, everything would be completely useless. However, like you, I mainly follow the Manga.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
May 30, 2013 10:41 AM

Mar 2012
Ya Naruto abuses flashbacks. If I have to see the Naruto vs Sasuke fight one more time ima jump off a brige...
Common Sense Is Not So Common.

Message me for reccomendations or just to talk anime.
May 30, 2013 10:48 AM

May 2013
Gon_Killua said:
Ya Naruto abuses flashbacks. If I have to see the Naruto vs Sasuke fight one more time ima jump off a brige...
They haven't even fought that much. Without the flash backs, it would just be worthless and emotionless fighting.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
May 30, 2013 10:56 AM

May 2012
Diran-kun said:
Eckilsax said:
Kslate23 said:
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:

I think every flash back in Naruto was necessary. Without them, everything would be completely useless. However, like you, I mainly follow the Manga.
the manga is filled with flashbacks and flashbacks IN a flashback lol.
May 30, 2013 10:59 AM

Mar 2013
Leapling said:
I can't stand seeing my favourite characters (villains, usually) suffer or die. It makes me want to punch a baby or kick a dog.

Wow, this guy seems like a tough dude, his favourite characters are usually villains, and he'd go as fare as kick a baby or a dog, he must be really hardcore, I wonder how i'ts like to be hardcore like him.
May 31, 2013 12:33 PM
May 2013
for me, i hate when characters don't end up with who i wanted them to. Ruins the whole series for me..but yah i have to agree with bad endings.
May 31, 2013 12:40 PM

Jun 2008
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO. Worst ones are series that don't finish ie Hitman, ippo, D-grey man ( which was biggest let down in anime history). I don't read manga so it's a drag. Opinions?

I wouldn't call that "having a bad ending". I would call it "not having an ending"
May 31, 2013 12:41 PM
Apr 2013
Harem Ending
May 31, 2013 2:01 PM

Feb 2012
in long animes filler...
but in short anime i think,maybe sometimes their ending!
May 31, 2013 2:24 PM

Dec 2012
DYRE said:
Kruszer said:
-Friggin' Recap Episodes. Do they think we all have ADD or Alzheimer's and can't remember what happened in a show we're following? Or last week even?

I typically actually can't remember what happened a week ago in the anime I'm following. At least not until stuff in the current episode reminds me of it. I wish more anime would start out with a "Last time on <series>" thing so I don't spend the first couple minutes of each episode confused.

If an anime is not memorable, it means it's not worth watching. If I'm following a show it means I'm interested in it, and I'm going to care enough to remember the plot/character details. If I consistently can't it means it might be time to drop it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 31, 2013 3:46 PM

May 2013
Endings. like D-gray Man, Berserk, Claymore. That are just left open and don't finish the series at all.
May 31, 2013 5:12 PM

May 2013
Chakaara said:
Leapling said:

Wow, this guy seems like a tough dude, his favourite characters are usually villains, and he'd go as fare as kick a baby or a dog, he must be really hardcore, I wonder how i'ts like to be hardcore like him.

I wonder what it's like to make so many mistakes in a sentence. Also, you might want to get yourself checked out sometime.. It's totally okay to be autistic, though! Be happy with who you are!

FYI, I'm a girl.
May 31, 2013 5:12 PM

Oct 2010
wuggums47 said:
The whole Moe Genre. K-ON! Lucky Star, etc. Take away the Moe from the show, and all you've got is crap. Here's my artists rendition of what K-ON would be without moe.

They are comedies. They have jokes, and stuff like that, you know.
May 31, 2013 6:49 PM

May 2013
jal90 said:
wuggums47 said:
The whole Moe Genre. K-ON! Lucky Star, etc. Take away the Moe from the show, and all you've got is crap. Here's my artists rendition of what K-ON would be without moe.

This. All those shows would be awesome with or without moe. Especially Lucky Star. What's wrong with a tad of moe here and there?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
May 31, 2013 6:54 PM

Jan 2013
When there is no story line or character development whatsoever..what's the point in watching?
When there's excessive fan service and when every single girl has absolutely massive boobs and no brain.
When a character becomes overpowered too quickly, it rapidly becomes very boring to watch.
When there is no originality..I'm going to get hate for this probably but as much as I enjoyed watching Fairy Tail, I couldn't help but think how it seems to have taken the most successful shounen elements and copied and reused them to churn out an extremely unoriginal and predictable show.
RDWMay 31, 2013 7:01 PM
May 31, 2013 7:20 PM

Aug 2009
The worst thing about anime to me is the fact that sequels and additional seasons can take years to happen.Another thing I dislike about anime is the fact there is a lot of incomplete series and OVAs.
May 31, 2013 7:22 PM

Jun 2012
Sekirei and pure engagement good endings :D
Otaku~~!
May 31, 2013 7:28 PM

Dec 2012
The whole 'moe' genre is often if not always, accompanied with light-hearted themes such as, slice of life or comedy. All moe really is, is an art style and it works great with those light-hearted themes.
May 31, 2013 9:48 PM
Mar 2013
Leapling said:
Chakaara said:
Leapling said:

I wonder what it's like to make so many mistakes in a sentence. Also, you might want to get yourself checked out sometime.. It's totally okay to be autistic, though! Be happy with who you are!

FYI, I'm a girl.

Settle down, you two.

Unnecessarily long shows. They referred to Schubert's symphonies with the phrase "heavenly length," due to their tendency to linger on and on. His longest symphony is about 1% as long as most anime series.

Overly digital looking art & animation.

Fanservice in shows with Freudian/Jungian meta-psychological-mumbo-jumbo, and vice-versa. Just silly. Fanservice in general, for that matter--let it die already.
May 31, 2013 10:44 PM
May 2012
Evil characters but truly a nothing but a sadistic & lunatic (?) really pisses me off.

IF he finally gets what he deserved like ended up dead horribly for good, I'll be happy.

But IF he end up alive or not cleared what happened to him/her, FML..

(Like Shidou Kouchi from HOTD, Ryosai from Magi Labyrinth of Magic, & etc... I want them dead for good. It's ashamed that I'll never forget about that happened).....
JafriZinMay 31, 2013 10:49 PM
May 31, 2013 10:47 PM

Apr 2010
The worst thing about anime is the over sexulization of it and the sheer amount of male members on this site with a little girl as their profile image giving everyone proof that anime is for weirdos.
Jun 1, 2013 12:24 AM

Nov 2011
Stupid cliches.
I luv u
Jun 1, 2013 12:31 AM

Sep 2011
pralan said:
Calling anime animes when anime is the prural

Came in to be a douchebag, but you said it first.
Jun 1, 2013 12:43 AM

Dec 2012
The Pandora Hearts original anime end was just straight up awful..
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 1, 2013 2:19 AM

Oct 2010
Diran-kun said:
jal90 said:
wuggums47 said:

This. All those shows would be awesome with or without moe. Especially Lucky Star. What's wrong with a tad of moe here and there?

Aside from that, and specially with Lucky Star which doesn't even rely that much on being moe (it even has the structure of a sketch comedy); did wuggums47 just say that these shows are not crap because of moe? So moe is good after all?

scabab said:
The worst thing about anime is the over sexulization of it and the sheer amount of male members on this site with a little girl as their profile image giving everyone proof that anime is for weirdos.

At least you should have a profile image that helped to your cause.
Jun 1, 2013 2:21 AM

Oct 2011
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO. Worst ones are series that don't finish ie Hitman, ippo, D-grey man ( which was biggest let down in anime history). I don't read manga so it's a drag. Opinions?

This is the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while. Good to know the MAL community hasn't let me down in that department.
Jun 1, 2013 3:57 AM

Dec 2011
When you know what will happen next, pfft, so predictable...
Jun 1, 2013 4:07 AM

Nov 2012
Bad English
....of all the arts, for us the cinema is the most important.

-- Vladimir Lenin
Jun 1, 2013 4:22 AM

Oct 2012
Fanservice done wrong. Example:

Jun 1, 2013 4:40 AM

May 2010
the weaboos
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Gurren Lagann & KlK creator said "Fanservice in anime is necessary, else humanity will disappear"

Dije - 8 hours ago

33 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters That Feel Out Of Place

FanofAction - 1 hour ago

23 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - May 13

39 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched? ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - May 14

79 by Timeline_man »»
6 minutes ago

» Disney Anime Chief: More "Acceptable" Expressions Are Necessary for the Wider Market

deg - 2 hours ago

16 by rohan121 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.