Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 15, 2013 9:56 AM

Sep 2012
Xenosaga series has the best plot ever (it did go through production problems, but game III completely saved it), followed by Xenogears, then Metal Gear Solid series.

The Elder Scrolls has great lore and storytelling, but usually the raw main plots aren't exactly exceptional, they just make good use of the lore. And games 1 and 2 are absolutely not worth playing.

Assassin's Creed series is also worth mentioning, although the first game is VERY dull. The series overall makes fantastic use of history and conspiracy theories.

Final Fantasies VII (and Crisis Core), VI and IV After Years (but you have to play the original IV before this one) are also great.

Deus Ex series is a must for fans of conspiracy theries. It has aliens, Illuminatti and sci-fi all merged together into pure awesomeness. People usually dislike game 2, but it's not bad at all.

Fallout has an awesome setting, but game 1 is cliché as fuck, while 2 actually has a great plot but the gameplay is frustrating. 3 is regarded as a trainwreck, but I really don't see why. New Vegas is the best in the series.

Chrono Trigger is actually simple, but makes great use of time travel and the characters are very memorable. Its kind of a sequel, Chrono Cross, has a much more complex plot, but it did leave some important points hanging without explanation.

Kingdom Hearts begins way too simple on game 1, but with the addition of games 2 and Birth by Sleep it became great.

The Witcher series has a very great lore, and it's actually a sequel to the Witcher book series. Game 1 will take part mostly showing a dumb plot of a secret guild of thieves, but the ending reveals nothing was actually that simple. Game 2 is better than 1 in absolutely everything.

The World Ends With You is absolutely unique regarding both plot and gameplay. Some stuff may still be confusing untill the end, but after the main game you can collect pages throughout the stages written by a character that will explain what was missing.

Neverwinter Nights series is actually made of 6 games, as each expansion can be seen as a game on itself. It's based on the Forgotten Realms lore and uses Dungeons & Dragons system. Game 1 falls a bit on the dumb side on some aspects, but it's awesome anyways. Shadows of Undrentide is very average, while Hordes of the Underdark is great, although its gameplay can be very frustrating. Game 2 has a weaker plot than 1, but its expansion Mask of the Betrayer is the best in the series. The other expansion, which I even forgot the name, is garbage.

Tales of Symphonia actually surprised me. Although it uses a lot of the old cliché talk of prejudice, the plot gets much better than one would expect at first. Its sequel is not as good.

Arc Rise Fantasia is a very underrated game. It's packed-full of twists and mysteries from beginning to end.

The Super Mario's franchise has good RPGs that are more focused on plot and mini-arcs. They include: Super Mario RPG: the Legend of the Seven Stars, Paper Mario (weakest one by far), Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario.
Fenryr19May 15, 2013 10:00 AM
May 15, 2013 11:23 AM
Mar 2011
Litrydow said:
Xenosaga series has the best plot ever (it did go through production problems, but game III completely saved it), followed by Xenogears, then Metal Gear Solid series.

The Elder Scrolls has great lore and storytelling, but usually the raw main plots aren't exactly exceptional, they just make good use of the lore. And games 1 and 2 are absolutely not worth playing.

Assassin's Creed series is also worth mentioning, although the first game is VERY dull. The series overall makes fantastic use of history and conspiracy theories.

Final Fantasies VII (and Crisis Core), VI and IV After Years (but you have to play the original IV before this one) are also great.

Deus Ex series is a must for fans of conspiracy theries. It has aliens, Illuminatti and sci-fi all merged together into pure awesomeness. People usually dislike game 2, but it's not bad at all.

Fallout has an awesome setting, but game 1 is cliché as fuck, while 2 actually has a great plot but the gameplay is frustrating. 3 is regarded as a trainwreck, but I really don't see why. New Vegas is the best in the series.

Chrono Trigger is actually simple, but makes great use of time travel and the characters are very memorable. Its kind of a sequel, Chrono Cross, has a much more complex plot, but it did leave some important points hanging without explanation.

Kingdom Hearts begins way too simple on game 1, but with the addition of games 2 and Birth by Sleep it became great.

The Witcher series has a very great lore, and it's actually a sequel to the Witcher book series. Game 1 will take part mostly showing a dumb plot of a secret guild of thieves, but the ending reveals nothing was actually that simple. Game 2 is better than 1 in absolutely everything.

The World Ends With You is absolutely unique regarding both plot and gameplay. Some stuff may still be confusing untill the end, but after the main game you can collect pages throughout the stages written by a character that will explain what was missing.

Neverwinter Nights series is actually made of 6 games, as each expansion can be seen as a game on itself. It's based on the Forgotten Realms lore and uses Dungeons & Dragons system. Game 1 falls a bit on the dumb side on some aspects, but it's awesome anyways. Shadows of Undrentide is very average, while Hordes of the Underdark is great, although its gameplay can be very frustrating. Game 2 has a weaker plot than 1, but its expansion Mask of the Betrayer is the best in the series. The other expansion, which I even forgot the name, is garbage.

Tales of Symphonia actually surprised me. Although it uses a lot of the old cliché talk of prejudice, the plot gets much better than one would expect at first. Its sequel is not as good.

Arc Rise Fantasia is a very underrated game. It's packed-full of twists and mysteries from beginning to end.

The Super Mario's franchise has good RPGs that are more focused on plot and mini-arcs. They include: Super Mario RPG: the Legend of the Seven Stars, Paper Mario (weakest one by far), Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario.

daggerfal is by far the biggest most indepth rpg world ever made bihgger world = more lore to absorb
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 15, 2013 11:25 AM
Mar 2011
machi - the single best vn/sn ever made
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 15, 2013 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
Litrydow said:
Super Paper Mario.

I remember being really surprised by how good the story is in that game, at least for a Mario game.
May 15, 2013 11:38 AM

Nov 2012
Kangaxx said:

Dragon age Origins(skip 2,it is an abomination)
LOl I'm beginning to think I am the only one that thinks this game is fun playing. I guess i just like this kind of games.
May 15, 2013 11:40 AM

Sep 2012
Xybirk said:
Litrydow said:
Super Paper Mario.

I remember being really surprised by how good the story is in that game, at least for a Mario game.

Yes, I consider it the best Mario game along with Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door. Both great games.

DateYutaka said:

daggerfal is by far the biggest most indepth rpg world ever made bihgger world = more lore to absorb

Not that simple. It's true it was a great evolution from the first almost plotless game, and it began building the good lore of the Elder Scrolls franchise, but that's it. The world is randomly generated, every city looks the same, there is nothing at all on the fields outside the cities, all the dungeons are randomly generated labyrinths, the quests are the same repeated endlessly.

All the presented lore can be absorbed in the following games through reading books and dialogues, I seriously consider playing the second game completely unnecessary.
May 15, 2013 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
Metal Gear Solid series wins by a thousand miles.

Good runner-ups are Final Fantasy VI, Batman: Arkham series and Penumbra series.
May 15, 2013 1:43 PM
Mar 2011
Litrydow said:
Xybirk said:
Litrydow said:
Super Paper Mario.

Yes, I consider it the best Mario game along with Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door. Both great games.

DateYutaka said:

Not that simple. It's true it was a great evolution from the first almost plotless game, and it began building the good lore of the Elder Scrolls franchise, but that's it. The world is randomly generated, every city looks the same, there is nothing at all on the fields outside the cities, all the dungeons are randomly generated labyrinths, the quests are the same repeated endlessly.

All the presented lore can be absorbed in the following games through reading books and dialogues, I seriously consider playing the second game completely unnecessary.

drifret strokes for diffret folks i geuss

May 15, 2013 1:44 PM
Mar 2011
CondemneDio said:

way to cut out two games there chum

May 15, 2013 2:56 PM

Jun 2009
DateYutaka said:
CondemneDio said:

I think when most people say Metal Gear Solid they mean the series as a whole. Now, I know the entire franchise falls under "Metal Gear" but, you know, most people probably haven't played the first two games.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 15, 2013 3:02 PM
Mar 2011
insan3soldiern said:
DateYutaka said:
CondemneDio said:

I think when most people say Metal Gear Solid they mean the series as a whole. Now, I know the entire franchise falls under "Metal Gear" but, you know, most people probably haven't played the first two games.

Metal gear two has the best story of the lot imo

May 15, 2013 4:13 PM

Sep 2011
In no order:
Chrono Trigger
Legacy of Kain series
Dragon Blade 1 & 2 (a Hungarian game made with RPG Maker 2003)
Final Fantasy IX
Half-Life
Portal
Halo
Kingdom Hearts
Legend of Zelda
Warcraft 3 and WoW (until Cataclysm imo)
Assassin's Creed (both the past and the present, until 3 which kind of ruined both)
May 15, 2013 4:17 PM
May 2013
RazielZero said:

Assassin's Creed (both the past and the present, until 3 which kind of ruined both)

No they ruin the assassin's creed story once they introduced that ancient civillaztion bullshit
May 15, 2013 4:26 PM

Jun 2009
I have to be honest I always loved the story for Baiten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

Tales of Vesperia had a great cast that really pulled the story with them.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
May 15, 2013 4:52 PM

Jan 2013
Catherine, from Atlus, the same company who made Persona
May 15, 2013 8:40 PM

Feb 2013
Amadyeus said:
Planescape: Torment (By far the best game ever made in my opinion, ''What can change the nature of a man?'' this fucking game.)
Gabriel Knight (Really outstanding storytelling)
Silent Hill 2 (Best in the series)
Final Fantasy VI (aka III in the US, not a huge fan of JRPGs since I tend to find them quite shallow and linear, but this title really had personality.)
System Shock 2 (One of the greatest. There is a reason why it's included in almost every ''top games ever made'' lists.)

There are maaany more, but these will have to suffice for now.
Not that I'm saying you're wrong for not liking JRPGs, but saying that they are shallow and linear is an extremely broad generalization. Have you played every JRPG? That's a rhetorical question, but there are quite a few that are neither linear nor shallow, likewise there are a number of Western RPGs that are. Personally, I don't even consider those real sub-genres because the only defining quality for them is where the game was developed.
May 15, 2013 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
insan3soldiern said:
DateYutaka said:
CondemneDio said:

Yeah, I actualy meant the series as a whole, sorry for not being clear.

I've played every MGS expect the first one and Portable Ops :D
May 15, 2013 9:48 PM

Dec 2007
TehBlindSamurai said:
RazielZero said:

No they ruin the assassin's creed story once they introduced that ancient civillaztion bullshit

I think what killed the people who came before was the cutscene in revelations, that SUPER shitty CG. My god, that was terrible.
May 16, 2013 7:07 PM

Sep 2012
TehBlindSamurai said:
RazielZero said:

It's funny you say that because it's the best part of the series.
May 16, 2013 7:12 PM

Jul 2012
Litrydow said:
TehBlindSamurai said:
RazielZero said:

I agree.
While I llike Desmond's side of the story,the ancient civillaztion part was the only reason I even game this game a try.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 16, 2013 7:33 PM
May 2013
Num1dad_Asura said:
Litrydow said:
TehBlindSamurai said:
RazielZero said:

I agree.
While I llike Desmond's side of the story,the ancient civillaztion part was the only reason I even game this game a try.

Too each their own I guess. I thought the minute they added that ancient civilization stuff to the story was the exact momment when the story side of Assassin creed games died. It just added to much confusion to a plot for the most part should have been semi simple
May 16, 2013 7:34 PM

Sep 2012
TehBlindSamurai said:
Num1dad_Asura said:
Litrydow said:
TehBlindSamurai said:
RazielZero said:

I agree.

Too each their own I guess. I thought the minute they added that ancient civilization stuff to the story was the exact momment when the story side of Assassin creed games died. It just added to much confusion to a plot for the most part should have been semi simple

But why exactly would you prefer a simple plot?
May 16, 2013 7:35 PM

Sep 2012
I liked batman arkham cities story the best. With an extremely close second of RDR.
May 16, 2013 7:43 PM
May 2013
Litrydow said:
TehBlindSamurai said:
Num1dad_Asura said:
Litrydow said:
TehBlindSamurai said:
RazielZero said:

I agree.

But why exactly would you prefer a simple plot?

Well not a "simple plot" per say but not a plot that is in my opinion a giant cluster fuck
May 16, 2013 7:46 PM

Apr 2012
Bastion is pretty good game with good story.

。◕‿◕。 Fun In Life is what Matters! The More the Fun the better your Life Becomes!! 。◕‿◕。

May 16, 2013 7:47 PM

Apr 2013
Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas, 'nough said.
May 16, 2013 7:52 PM
May 2013
SlothNamakemono said:
Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas, 'nough said.

I have yet to beat that game every time I play it I just drive around, pay hookers to have sex with me/kill them and see how long I can survive fighting a full out war with cops.(without cheats)
May 16, 2013 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
deadjames said:
Amadyeus said:
Planescape: Torment (By far the best game ever made in my opinion, ''What can change the nature of a man?'' this fucking game.)
Final Fantasy VI (aka III in the US, not a huge fan of JRPGs since I tend to find them quite shallow and linear, but this title really had personality.)
System Shock 2 (One of the greatest. There is a reason why it's included in almost every ''top games ever made'' lists.)

Not that I'm saying you're wrong for not liking JRPGs, but saying that they are shallow and linear is an extremely broad generalization. Have you played every JRPG? That's a rhetorical question, but there are quite a few that are neither linear nor shallow, likewise there are a number of Western RPGs that are. Personally, I don't even consider those real sub-genres because the only defining quality for them is where the game was developed.
Of course I haven't played every JRPG that is why I said I tend to find them shallow and linear instead of saying that every JRPG actually is shallow and linear. And I haven't found a single JRPG up to date that can match the same depth of choice when it comes to dialogues (which is what I enjoy the most in RPGs), even FFVI which I considered the best out of the bunch didn't have any specific choices of dialogues except the very few YES or NO events on very rare occasions. This is why I consdier them being much more linear since in this way you are unable to create and craft your character in the way you want since they are so pre-scripted in what they're suppose to say and do rather than letting you as a player choose.
removed-userMay 16, 2013 8:11 PM
May 16, 2013 8:11 PM

Jul 2012
Deus Ex Human Revolution
הלב שלי כבר מת
May 16, 2013 8:12 PM

Feb 2013
Legend of dragoon
Grandia
Xenosaga
Virtue's last reward
Deadly premonition
Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia, Eternia, Aby- Basically, just any tales game.

Also, if you're only interested in the story, give visual novels a look.
EvildoerMay 16, 2013 8:18 PM
May 17, 2013 12:31 AM

Apr 2013
The Fallout games (1,2,3, New Vegas) and the BioShock series. Both had great stories and replayability.
A great man once said, "People die when they are killed!"
May 17, 2013 2:27 AM

Apr 2012
the whole uncharted series , infamous (the first one) , jak and daxter , killzone 2 , metal gear solid 4 , FF 13 , Resistance (the PSP game) , BioShock , Thief , System Shock 2 .
May 18, 2013 10:46 AM
Jul 2018
Planescape Torment,Baldurs Gate 1,2,Persona 3,Warcraft III,Star Wars:KoTOR 1,2 ,Tactics Ogre:Let Us Cling Together,The Witcher,FF VI and Tactics
Legend of Heroes:TiTS is also worth mentioning for its writing
removed-userMay 18, 2013 10:51 AM
May 18, 2013 6:38 PM

Feb 2013
Amadyeus said:
deadjames said:
Amadyeus said:

Of course I haven't played every JRPG that is why I said I tend to find them shallow and linear instead of saying that every JRPG actually is shallow and linear. And I haven't found a single JRPG up to date that can match the same depth of choice when it comes to dialogues (which is what I enjoy the most in RPGs), even FFVI which I considered the best out of the bunch didn't have any specific choices of dialogues except the very few YES or NO events on very rare occasions. This is why I consdier them being much more linear since in this way you are unable to create and craft your character in the way you want since they are so pre-scripted in what they're suppose to say and do rather than letting you as a player choose.
I said it was a rhetorical question, that means you're not supposed to answer it, and there are tons of JRPGs with in depth dialogue choices, there's Shin Megami Tensei series, the Harvest Moon series, and the Atelier series just to name a few. There are also tons of JRPGs that let you create your character, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy I are a few. Personally, I find it boring when games rely too heavily on dialogue though, like I hate Bioware games because there's like 2 hours of talking (most of it pointless) for every like 30 minutes of gameplay, and a lack of dialogue choices in no way makes a game linear, I'll continue to use FF VI as an example, once you meet up with Setzer in the World of Ruin the game completely opens up to you and you can pretty much do anything in any order the latter half of the game is completely non-linear.
May 21, 2013 5:09 AM

Aug 2012
Tetris and Fifa
~Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve
May 21, 2013 6:29 AM

Jan 2013
Burna said:
Tetris and Fifa

You forgot Minesweeper
May 21, 2013 7:32 AM

Jan 2011
May as well just "play" a VN.
May 21, 2013 7:35 AM

Jul 2012
Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts series in general, and the Metal Gear Solid series in general.
Also, Solatorobo: Red the Hunter. Well kinda. I used to think the story was a bit weak. But it got better.
May 21, 2013 7:50 AM

Feb 2012
Mafia
Assassin's Creed (the first 4)
Max Payne (not 3)
Alan Wake
Psychonauts
Silent Hill 2
May 21, 2013 7:51 AM

Aug 2010
I think the first two Oddworld games, Abe's Odyssee and Abe's Exodus. The stories are probably simplistic compared to a lot of newer games, but it was all fleshed out with an undeniable amount of charm, which is amazing considering how odd of a game it is. And they were both really good satirical nods to the nature of corporate America, which is something I never noticed when i was younger, but picked up on when I replayed them recently.
Eyes always lose their fire

May 21, 2013 7:54 AM

Jul 2012
That would have to be Kirby...its just an emotional

kidding

Illussions of gaia
the last story
May 21, 2013 12:43 PM

May 2013
Depends what you're going for..

If you want something deep/complex I'd say Xenogears.. If you want something light-hearted and more about the characters than the plot itself I'd say Grandia.. Chrono Trigger for more of an EPIC feel.. You want my opinion on the greatest story ever told on any media? SUIKODEN 2, hands down... Star Ocean: the Second Story had an interesting story as well.. Most of the early Final Fantasies had stellar stories, FF6 being my favorite.
May 21, 2013 2:41 PM

May 2013
Depends on what kind of story you're looking for, in general there are quite a few with interesting stories.

Ps2
grandia 3
persona 4 and 3
magna carta tears of blood
final fantasy x
kingdom hearts 1-2
Wild arms
hack g.u
devil may cry 1
project zero 1-3
xenosaga 1-3

ps3
tales of graces f
tales of xillia
resonance of fate

xbox 360
star ocean the last hope
magna carta
lost odyssey

wii
zelda skyward sword
the last story
xenoblade
May 21, 2013 4:14 PM
May 2013
My favorites are

Nier
Tales of Symphonia/ Abyss
Majora's Mask
Metal Gear Solid series
Birth By Sleep
Final Fantasy series (especially 6)
May 21, 2013 7:42 PM

Oct 2012
I'm sure that these have been mentioned, but in the off-chance that they haven't, I strongly recommend the Mass Effect trilogy and the Metal Gear Solid series. Mass Effect is what made me fall back in love with video games after a year of not playing them.
May 22, 2013 1:05 PM

Feb 2013
IndependentSK said:
Mafia
Assassin's Creed (the first 4)
Max Payne (not 3)
Alan Wake
Psychonauts
Silent Hill 2
By first four AC games, do you mean 1, Bloodlines, 2, and Brotherhood? Just wondering because a lot of people forget about Bloodlines.
May 22, 2013 1:18 PM

Feb 2012
They are spin offs, not part of the main series, so they don't count, I meant all man games up to Revelations.
May 24, 2013 11:59 PM

May 2010
Planescape Torment (by far the game with the best story ever)
Deus Ex
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

May 25, 2013 12:08 AM

Dec 2012
These are what I thought had a good story, It's a mix between 360 and PC I don't own a PS.

Farcry 1
Alan wake
Bioshock 1
Half life 1 and 2
Halo 1 and 2
Metro 2033
Mass effect series and Dragon age origins
Fallout series
Return to castle wolfenstein
Bastion
May 25, 2013 12:20 AM

Jun 2010
Saga Frontier 2.

And Most of the other Vn's that I played i.e

Himegari.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
4 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

58 by Jentheworld »»
7 hours ago

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

5 by H1ruma »»
11 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 5:15 PM

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.