Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 27, 2013 5:06 AM

Jan 2009
Fumio Osano, the Sailor Moon manga's Kodansha editor who is known by his nickname "Osabu," confirmed in response to a question on his Twitter account that the new Sailor Moon anime has been delayed. The anime was previously announced as debuting this summer.

Osabu has not yet given further details, but a more formal announcement is expected soon. When asked if the anime would broadcast in winter 2014, he responded, "Not 2014. Perhaps."

The idol group Momoiro Clover Z, publisher Kodansha and Sailor Moon manga creator Naoko Takeuchi announced the new anime adaptation of the manga last July. Momoiro Clover Z announced that they would perform a theme song for the new anime at France's Anime Expo, while a special event on the same day commemorated the 20th anniversary of Naoko Takeuchi 's Sailor Moon manga at Tokyo's nicofarre hall.

source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-27/new-sailor-moon-anime-delayed
Apr 27, 2013 9:03 AM

Nov 2011
Ya I heard about this was a bad news to wake up to. Well, I just hope there's some legit reasons for this.
Apr 27, 2013 9:23 AM

Nov 2010
I'm actually relieved that it won't be airing any time soon, I wasn't looking forward to it that much anyways.

Looks like now they have to change the anime's title.
Apr 27, 2013 2:50 PM

Nov 2012
Considering there was hardly any information about it so close to release I'm not surprised.
Apr 27, 2013 5:49 PM
Oct 2008
Quite disappointing to hear, yet not too surprised. Perhaps the Sailor Moon IP is something that should be laid to rest for the time being.
Apr 28, 2013 6:04 AM

Aug 2007
I'm really upset abput this notice I want to know fin toei really want to make this anime.
Apr 28, 2013 6:20 AM

Oct 2011
minimiau said:
I'm really upset abput this notice I want to know fin toei really want to make this anime.
They want to earn more money so probably yes.

From what I've read it might be matter of:
- fact that Toei has already many project on-going (I think there are 4 long running series) and planned - CGI version of Harlock and SS (with rumors that they want to make series), some movies along one they wanted to do with Nitro+
- and that there were rumors of some disagreements between creator of manga and Toei over target group of new series. Toei already has one magical girl series aimed at kids (Precure) so making another one would be rather silly - at first there were some announcements that it's aimed at older fans but maybe one side of deal had some different idea.
Apr 28, 2013 8:13 AM

Aug 2010
Oh no... I just hope they wont end up putting the project on the shelf for years and years and years and then ended up cancelling it -_-
Apr 28, 2013 5:13 PM

Oct 2012
I'm just going to go shrivel up and die now.
May 8, 2013 1:56 PM

Feb 2008
Dalek-baka said:

- and that there were rumors of some disagreements between creator of manga and Toei over target group of new series. Toei already has one magical girl series aimed at kids (Precure) so making another one would be rather silly - at first there were some announcements that it's aimed at older fans but maybe one side of deal had some different idea.

Why can't Naoko give the rights to another studio? Granted, knowing Toei they will want to hold onto Sailor Moon with an iron grip, but its not like they still can't profit from the original. Also, there HAS been joint ventures between studios in the past, Toei can still work on part of the new anime, or just simply hold onto the rights to the name, while letting another studio do the bulk of the work. In fact, i'd much rather see the new anime NOT be done by Toei.

Much of Toei's recent track record seems to consist of series they can turn into marketing machines, especially titles geared towards milking money from children, the original Sailor Moon included, so I'm not surprised if they want to try and capitalize on the younger demographic with the new anime.

Naoko herself said she was upset with some of the things Toei did with the original (the gender-bending Star Lights for example), so I'm a little surprised I haven't heard of her trying to get another studio to do it, plus I'm sure one of the other studios would be better suited in staying true to the manga better than Toei would, both in art and story. (But maybe she has already and Toei just won't budge.)
May 12, 2013 4:46 PM

Jan 2010
SailorCardKnight said:

Why can't Naoko give the rights to another studio?

Because it is the publisher (Kodansha) who has all the rights, not the author (Naoko), who just works for them?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.