Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime are much more popular in Japan?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 25, 2013 4:11 AM
Mar 2011
Raikomyth said:
DateYutaka said:

most tv anime in the top 10 stay one air cuase of Tv ratings not DVD sales

I admit you do bring up a good point. Though if I may ask, why does moe not get good TV ratings but really well DVD/BD sales?

im sorry but i have no idea example i use Eva as the eexample that was a lte night anime that got 11.00 % tv ratings and good VHS/LD/DVD ect sales while late night anime today thinks its fine to get under five percent tv ratings

people say well anime is better state than it was in the 80's till the pre crash era no there is more Chanels to fill so more anime is produced it its not that less was produced back in the day there was less demand for anime to be prodcued cause of lack of time Slots to fill
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 25, 2013 5:21 AM

Aug 2012
DateYutaka said:
Moe Shows get crap ratings on n TV

The fact that you even have moe shows on tv makes me very envious

I'm stuck with this shit
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 25, 2013 6:10 AM
Jun 2009
Wait, did somebody seriously say that Berserk is unpopular? Miura can probably do one chapter a year and still play Idolm@ster for the rest of his life.

I probably don't have to mention how well the recent Bebop Blu-ray Box sold either.
Apr 25, 2013 6:33 AM

Apr 2011
Damn, I'll just quote what I said before in another thread.
It's a legend based on real activities going around on japan right now that I found on a strange, creepy book.
Here it goes:

tormented210 said:
Fact:
Fetish elements (ecchi, gore, moe and many many more) is easier to produce than original/intelligent stuff (duh!)
Then:

1st Act - Alienation and the Genesis Trigger!
They alienate kids with fetish content in kid's anime so they'll grow up with perverted mind creating a new world.

2nd Act - Even more Ecchi and Moe are produced to complete the Endless Hypnosis!
The grown up kids will now buy those since they've been alienated by their last anime generation.

3rd Act - Alienated artists appear for the Calimity Renewal!
Kids now artists, grew up with perverted minds so they renew the generation and are ready to dominate Japan with fetish everywhere.

4th Act - Total annihilation and the New Genesis!
Now Japan has been conquered by perverted minds, original artists are forced to produce ecchi/moe show.

5th Act - The Calamity Genesis is completed!
Now Anime industry only sell Ecchi and Moe, the vanquish is over.

EXTRA 6th Act - The Chrono Shifting Effect!
There's a legend that there will be only one healthy Japanese artist "he was in vacations in Hawaii so was not affected" will succeed in reverting the Calimity Genesis and bring back the healthy anime once more. He will save humanity from self destruction!
It's him... DateYutakaaaaa! Yutakaaaa! Yaaaaa! Aaaaaa! It's him!

It's true because DateYutaka can be read along these sentences.
Apr 25, 2013 7:22 AM

Jun 2009
tormented210 said:
It's a legend based on real activities going around on japan right now that I found on a strange, creepy book.
Here it goes:

tormented210 said:
Fact:
Fetish elements (ecchi, gore, moe and many many more) is easier to produce than original/intelligent stuff (duh!)
Then:

They alienate kids with fetish content in kid's anime so they'll grow up with perverted mind creating a new world.

2nd Act - Even more Ecchi and Moe are produced to complete the Endless Hypnosis!
The grown up kids will now buy those since they've been alienated by their last anime generation.

Kids now artists, grew up with perverted minds so they renew the generation and are ready to dominate Japan with fetish everywhere.

Now Japan has been conquered by perverted minds, original artists are forced to produce ecchi/moe show.

There's a legend that there will be only one healthy Japanese artist "he was in vacations in Hawaii so was not affected" will succeed in reverting the Calimity Genesis and bring back the healthy anime once more. He will save humanity from self destruction!

You mean... All those years of anime viewing... Are lies?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2013 7:43 AM
Feb 2012
tormented210 said:
Here it goes:

tormented210 said:
Fact:
Then:

I should build a shrine dedicated to you and meanwhile start the DateYutaka FC on MAL.
Apr 25, 2013 11:34 AM

Apr 2011
AirStyles said:
tormented210 said:
Here it goes:

tormented210 said:
Fact:
Then:

You mean... All those years of anime viewing... Are lies?

Sort of, but fear not, DateYutaka will definitely change the future, he is our Messiah.
Apr 25, 2013 2:56 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Clean Up
This topic has been cleaned of all off topic or irrelevant posts

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Apr 25, 2013 2:59 PM

Jan 2012
MajinSaga said:
It's depressing to know this type of garbage is popular in Japan

And Not this:

agreed sir but there's nothing we can do about it
Apr 25, 2013 7:32 PM

Dec 2012
HitoShura94 said:
Hmm.... I wonder just how popular Evangelion actually is in Japan, I mean... is it.. like Simpsons status popular?!?

They love it and it's considered one of the best animes. Anyway, from what I've heard SAO is actually rated highly in japan. Also they luv them some moe shit.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Apr 26, 2013 5:02 AM

Apr 2013
one piece for sure.
Apr 26, 2013 7:34 AM

Jun 2008
One Piece
Apr 26, 2013 8:31 AM

Nov 2010
Just continuing this

One Piece
Apr 26, 2013 8:39 AM

Apr 2013
Bakemonogatar ( and the rest of the monogatari series novels and anime) , Naruto , HxH .
Apr 26, 2013 8:52 AM

May 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Bakemonogatar ( and the rest of the monogatari series novels and anime) , Naruto , HxH .

If bake is your favorites,it does not mean its popular in japan compared to other series like one piece, fma b.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 26, 2013 9:03 AM

Apr 2013
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

If bake is your favorites,it does not mean its popular in japan compared to other series like one piece, fma b.

Oh you again , I didn't say it is more popular than one piece but it is popular 78K+ sales even Madoka didn't outsell it, novels selling really well and getting adapted in this summer , must mean it is somehow popular, right ?
Apr 26, 2013 9:20 AM

Aug 2011
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

The Monogatari series is pretty damn popular among Japanese anime fans at least, they buy it like crazy.
Apr 26, 2013 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
mitch3315 said:
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

The Monogatari series is pretty damn popular among Japanese anime fans at least, they buy it like crazy.
Still probably doesn't get close to the ratings that the top anime get.
Apr 26, 2013 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
mitch3315 said:
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

That's because of it is time slot ( late night) no anime gets high ratings there no matter what it is.
Apr 26, 2013 9:43 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah, One Piece is the obvious choice.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 26, 2013 10:09 AM

Nov 2010
Arararraragi-kun said:
IntroverTurtle said:
mitch3315 said:
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

That's because of it is time slot ( late night) no anime gets high ratings there no matter what it is.
You mean it's because of it's content that they think it won't be popular on the higher watched timeslots.
Apr 26, 2013 10:15 AM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
IntroverTurtle said:
mitch3315 said:
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

You mean it's because of it's content that they think it won't be popular on the higher watched timeslots.

I am only explaining why it had low ratings as for they picked that time slot it is because of it's content ( Gore + Ecchi ) all series that have those kind of elements get pushed back to the late night time slot not because they thought it won't be popular they can't foresee the future.
Apr 26, 2013 10:28 AM

Nov 2010
Arararraragi-kun said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
IntroverTurtle said:
mitch3315 said:
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

I am only explaining why it had low ratings as for they picked that time slot it is because of it's content ( Gore + Ecchi ) all series that have those kind of elements get pushed back to the late night time slot not because they thought it won't be popular they can't foresee the future.
Yes that's what I was explaining, you didn't mention that it was because of the content that they made it that timeslot. It sounded like you were saying that it was just because of the timeslot that it doesn't have as high as ratings as other shows.
They can't foresee the future but it's not hard to figure out that an anime with gore and ecchi won't be popular or fit at times when families are watching tv. I know in America it's like that, idk about every other country.
Apr 26, 2013 10:33 AM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Yes that's what I was explaining, you didn't mention that it was because of the content that they made it that timeslot. It sounded like you were saying that it was just because of the timeslot that it doesn't have as high as ratings as other shows.
They can't foresee the future but it's not hard to figure out that an anime with gore and ecchi won't be popular or fit at times when families are watching tv. I know in America it's like that, idk about every other country.

Oh you meant popular in that sense , yea you are right that's how TV works in Japan the main profit form series like these are from the BD+DVD sales.
Apr 26, 2013 10:37 AM

Nov 2010
Arararraragi-kun said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Oh you meant popular in that sense , yea you are right that's how TV works in Japan the main profit form series like these are from the BD+DVD sales.
That's correct.
Apr 26, 2013 3:37 PM

Mar 2013
The taste for Western is different than in Japan. Look at gaming for example, Military game like FPS does extremely well while the JRPG does little. Not only that but Western like their Cartoon to be funny or a parody of some people, like Family guy or South park.
Apr 26, 2013 4:17 PM

May 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
IntroverTurtle said:
mitch3315 said:
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 26, 2013 4:40 PM

Apr 2013
Tommk said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Read the rest of the convo before laughing arbitrary like that .
Apr 26, 2013 4:41 PM

May 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Tommk said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Read and still laughed, my little sockpuppet
Apr 26, 2013 4:56 PM

Apr 2013
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Tommk said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Then care to explain what you laughed about ?
Apr 26, 2013 5:03 PM

May 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Tommk said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Tommk said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Then care to explain what you laughed about ?

Because of those genres , it was pushed to the late night timeslot ? Well, eva got pushed to late night and still earned it, WON it , Deal with it , it will never be as popular as the top anime of japan. Anytime and anywhere.

Nvm wrong thread, i thought this thread = Which anime is more popular in japan = Top popular anime in Japan .

Ma bad.
Apr 26, 2013 5:09 PM

Apr 2013
Ehh... you are laughing because it is not TEH most popular thing in Japan ? comparing it to eva...? it is more than popular enough with 78k+ and getting two seasons animated yeah you should laugh about how unpopular it is /derp .
It is currently top popular in anime/novels.
Apr 26, 2013 5:12 PM

May 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Ehh... you are laughing because it is not TEH most popular thing in Japan ? comparing it to eva...? it is more than popular enough with 78k+ and getting two seasons animated yeah you should laugh about how unpopular it is /derp .
It is currently top popular in anime/novels.

Popular anime but with less awards :[ derp. I have all the bd sales, but with 1-2 awards. Rofl

K lets , take a regular anime, and not one piece or FMA , as bake will get kick in the face

Anime like Eureka Seven , sure it has less sales, no fuck you, its sales was rocket. Won tons of award compared to it.

And no, I can't predict the future, but for now,bake is nothing much.
FALLOUT4Apr 26, 2013 5:18 PM
Apr 26, 2013 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
Less awards ? Ehh... who gives a shit I am gonna just stop I feel my brain cells dying every time I talk with you mhmm..
Apr 26, 2013 5:17 PM

May 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Less awards ? Ehh... who gives a shit I am gonna just stop I feel my brain cells dying every time I talk with you mhmm..

My brain cells are dying everytime I look at your animelist.

Rated Free a 1 before it even began.
Apr 26, 2013 9:47 PM
Nov 2009
AirStyles said:
MajinSaga said:
AirStyles said:
Tommk said:
Holybaptiser said:
insan3soldiern said:
Majin reminds me an awful lot of Kuraiiya (probably spelled that wrong).... just saying.
Really? I swear he is Not_Biased 2.0.
]

Second

Those kind of people show up every once in a while.

Judging from prior examples of this guy, it's evident that there's no use trying to reason with them, I don't even try to respond properly to them anymore.

They'll usually just make more and more threads about "moe is killing the industry", "Why is older anime better" or in some cases "Anime fans are stupid."

Funny thing is that a lot of them don't even watch the supposed "moe-shit" before passing judgment.

You don't need to eat shit to know it tastes bad.

And I have had the misfortune of watching such trash.

Name them.

btw, is this trash?

Come on, tell me how you don't have to watch them to know what they are.
Tell me you can judge it by it's cover.

Go ahead, tell me.

Only picture one looks like moe-shit. Picture 2, 3 and 5 definitely not. The fourth, not sure. It seems too innocent, more like Chobits.
Apr 26, 2013 9:52 PM

Jan 2008
Lucumo said:
AirStyles said:
NeoAnkara said:
AirStyles said:
MajinSaga said:
AirStyles said:
Tommk said:
Holybaptiser said:
insan3soldiern said:
Majin reminds me an awful lot of Kuraiiya (probably spelled that wrong).... just saying.
]

Second

Judging from prior examples of this guy, it's evident that there's no use trying to reason with them, I don't even try to respond properly to them anymore.

They'll usually just make more and more threads about "moe is killing the industry", "Why is older anime better" or in some cases "Anime fans are stupid."

Funny thing is that a lot of them don't even watch the supposed "moe-shit" before passing judgment.

Name them.

btw, is this trash?

Go ahead, tell me.

Only picture one looks like moe-shit. Picture 2, 3 and 5 definitely not. The fourth, not sure. It seems too innocent, more like Chobits.

Ranking them from lightest to darkest.

2 / 4

You should probably not judge images by their cover.

edit: Man you guys fucked up the quote chain.
PaulApr 26, 2013 9:56 PM
Apr 26, 2013 10:46 PM

Apr 2013
Doing a quick google search Bakemonogatari sure is popular :
The light novel series ranked sixth in the 2009 issue of Takarajimasha's light novel guide book Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!; Koyomi Araragi ranked sixth in the Best Male Character while Hitagi Senjōgahara ranked seventh in the Best Female Character.
The anime adaptation won the Users' Special Award in the 2nd annual DEG Japan Awards/Blu-ray Prizes.[38][39] Over one million DVDs and BDs of Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari have been sold

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-13/akb48-bakemonogatari-persona-4-win-gold-disc-awards
pfft who cares about more awards when you can get awesome sales ? o3o
Apr 27, 2013 3:36 AM
Nov 2009
Paul said:
Lucumo said:
AirStyles said:
NeoAnkara said:
AirStyles said:
MajinSaga said:
AirStyles said:
Tommk said:
Holybaptiser said:
insan3soldiern said:
]

Second

Name them.

btw, is this trash?

Go ahead, tell me.

2 / 4

What has the tone to do with it looking like moe-shit?
Apr 27, 2013 5:12 AM

Jun 2009
Lucumo said:
Paul said:
Lucumo said:
AirStyles said:
NeoAnkara said:
AirStyles said:
MajinSaga said:
AirStyles said:
Tommk said:
Holybaptiser said:
insan3soldiern said:
]

Second

Name them.

btw, is this trash?

Go ahead, tell me.

2 / 4

What's wrong with looking like moe-shit?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2013 11:41 PM
Nov 2009
AirStyles said:
Lucumo said:
Paul said:
Lucumo said:
AirStyles said:
NeoAnkara said:
AirStyles said:
MajinSaga said:
AirStyles said:
Tommk said:
Holybaptiser said:
insan3soldiern said:
]

Second

Name them.

btw, is this trash?

Go ahead, tell me.

2 / 4

What's wrong with looking like moe-shit?

Some people may don't like it?
Apr 28, 2013 3:49 AM
Jun 2012
one piece
Apr 28, 2013 1:53 PM

Apr 2013
How silly. ALL anime is more popular in Japan by virtue of the fact that it's created for Japanese demographics!
Apr 28, 2013 3:11 PM

Jan 2013
Yuno_Love said:
How silly. ALL anime is more popular in Japan by virtue of the fact that it's created for Japanese demographics!

The question itself is what is the animes that are MUCH more popular in Japan than in the other countries.

For example, X anime is widely popular in America and Japan too, but Y anime is only popular in Japan, while Z anime is only popular in America but not in Japan.

Apr 28, 2013 5:21 PM

Jan 2012
DateYutaka said:
we have better Tatse than you we dont Floack to Poorllr written Sci Fi like wing or Bebop

Apr 28, 2013 7:27 PM

Apr 2013
012yArthur0 said:
Yuno_Love said:

The question itself is what is the animes that are MUCH more popular in Japan than in the other countries.

For example, X anime is widely popular in America and Japan too, but Y anime is only popular in Japan, while Z anime is only popular in America but not in Japan.

Anything that isn't localized here will have practically no chance of being more popular than in Japan. The only shows that I can think of that might have a bigger fanbase internationally are Cowboy Bebop and The Big O.

Really, though, who's knowledgeable enough about this and what statistics do we have to work with in order to determine popularity? I just think it's a silly question and it invites moe trolling which is apparent in this very thread.
Apr 28, 2013 8:09 PM

Nov 2010
Yuno_Love said:
012yArthur0 said:
Yuno_Love said:

Anything that isn't localized here will have practically no chance of being more popular than in Japan. The only shows that I can think of that might have a bigger fanbase internationally are Cowboy Bebop and The Big O.

Really, though, who's knowledgeable enough about this and what statistics do we have to work with in order to determine popularity? I just think it's a silly question and it invites moe trolling which is apparent in this very thread.
You have tv ratings, awards, dvd sales, movie sales, video games, and probably a couple of other things that help you determine popularity. And people who do the moe trolling do that in every thread, they don't need a special one.
Apr 28, 2013 8:37 PM

Apr 2012
Popularity is really a mix of Global fan base, DVD sales and Awards (and some other Categories). Although, it really is just DVD sales and Fan Base. Saying that, its hard to say that which is the most popular, unless someone literally got all figures and got an average from them -.-
Apr 28, 2013 9:23 PM

Jun 2010
This is obvious but Studio Ghibli films are really popular over there. They're always make tons of money in Japanese theaters when they're just released.
Apr 29, 2013 12:54 AM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
You have tv ratings, awards, dvd sales, movie sales, video games, and probably a couple of other things that help you determine popularity. And people who do the moe trolling do that in every thread, they don't need a special one.

One, that's an immense amount of information to collect and analyze.

Two, how truly reflective of popularity are any of those things? How do we define popularity--by fan numbers or casual watchers? Awards really don't mean much (independent film awards represent niche bases). Though TV ratings would work, but how is that data collected and how accurate is it? Especially when considering niche interests, merch/BR/DVD sales might speak more than TV ratings, but it might also represent a very passionate minority.

Three, where can we find comparable statistics outside of Japan? This is the biggest problem. As far as I know, there's little data on western fans.

Again, it's a silly premise because we have no data to work with and it's hardly objective. Don't let that stop you; I get the point of the thread. I just wanted to point out that everything stated therein is groundless. Also, just because moe trolling happens in a lot of threads does not mean we should facilitate that.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 22 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 6 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

47 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

237 by NightVampire »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.