Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 3, 2020 11:28 AM

May 2014
BeeBeeKay said:

Phenomanan said:
I think the real world on the other side of the gate thing would have been amazing if it was hinted at early on. Like it should have been hinted that there was something on the other side of the gate to build suspense, until they finally show us that it is the real world, and our minds would have been blown. It seems out of nowhere the way it was done here, probably because they thought of it really close to the end.
That was my reaction as well. It was just too sudden and not foreshadowed at all like e.g. the world beyond in SnK.

Lol ngl been a while since I watched FMA but I'm able to enjoy it in a diff way through your frequent forum replies 👍
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Jul 25, 2020 3:45 AM
May 2019
Hmm, I actually liked this ending - very different from what I am used to. The show overall was fantastic. Though, I'm sure Brotherhood will be much better, I absolutely adored the soundtrack in this and I'm afraid the soundtrack in it won't be as good.
Oct 28, 2020 3:13 PM

Jul 2017
This episode was... something. I absolutely loved the Chopin piece used a lot in this episode, one of my favorite Chopin pieces (Etude Op 10 No 3), and the directing overall was good again, especially in harmonizing the music, the visuals and the emotional moments really well to make it more impactful and striking. The OST and directing really is superior in the original compared to Brotherhood.

For an original ending and story halfway through, I really respect this show for fully committing to it. Unlike ruining the story entirely and filling it with nonsense, the staff did their damn best to create an entirely different beast halfway through while still adapting it to the tones that were created earlier on and making sure they tied up as much as possible when it came to material from the past.

The ending was definitely not satisfying and a bit convoluted as well, but the anime end was not supposed to be satisfying unlike Brotherhood, but bittersweet. Show a painful yet optimistic perspective of Edward and Alphonse's relationship and desires to save each other when both were down for the count. The gate stuff again, feels convoluted, Dante's character underwhelmed significantly despite some potential interesting themes, some supporting characters fell flat and the 2nd half felt slightly messy, but the anime staff did a terrific job in still managing to create a compelling, gritty, darker and emotional thriller out of this.

Brotherhood is tighter in material, more satisfying, has a better cast and has a lot of thematic depth despite not being darker and unforgiving like the original anime, but the original anime did an exceptional job in characterizing Ed and Al, and a lot of characters early on by giving them more time to be explored, and the music and directing was better here too.

I'll give Brotherhood a 10 and the original anime a 9.5 (excluding Shamballa). The original anime is by far the best thing ever when it comes to non-canon material integrated into an anime adaptation, and is a top 30 anime on its own. Massive credit to Bones for doing an exceptional job given the tough circumstances, even if I feel like at least 5-10 more episodes were needed to properly give time to that ending and maybe flesh out Dante more and some other aspects of the show, even thematically.
Jan 28, 2021 9:52 AM

Aug 2020
Nice anime. I prefer this to Brotherhood to be honest, and I'm gonna give it a 10. Even though it has a smaller plot, it's very consistent. It was a surprise to see the details that changed from 03 to Brotherhood. I might rewatch it.

Mar 24, 2021 10:54 PM

Aug 2014
wow, that ending grabbed my heart.  Shame they could never be together.  Its sad that Al went back to being 10 and with no memories.  Shame Winry wont get to see Ed.  But this was very unique.  Bravo to 2003 FMA

As for the negatives of FMA03 as a whole, it did have pacing issues and many stand-alone fillerish episodes.  Many anime fans who prefer this 2003 version dont talk about these issues. I hardly doubt ill get to watch this anime again due to these issues.

Sadly, this anime is forgotten, mainly because of Brotherhood (because it sticks to source and because of happier ending), and because this 2003 version doesnt feel like other shounen animes.

To be honest, after this seeing FMA03 and not having seen Brotherhood yet, I would have preferred if Brotherhood was the continuation of this FMA03 ending, since its so interesting with Ed on the otherside during World War and Al hopefully regaining his memories. Gosh, that would have been awesome. 

Well, off to the concluding movie for FMA original, and then on to Brotherhood. 

Edit: Just saw the movie of the FMA Conqueror.  Yay, so happy, now im happy. YAY!!!
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 12:55 AM
Apr 19, 2021 3:15 AM
Dec 2020
Great ending for the show. Edward rocks. Srsly. I disliked his character at the starting but he came out to be one of the best characters of the series.
Jun 12, 2021 3:28 PM

Jan 2020
I do prefer brotherhood's ending more but the more depressing-like ending with constant mentions of equivalent exchange do make this ending feel more thematically closer if that makes sense. Poor dante got eaten by gluttony though..

The ending wasn't 100% dark since ultimately, al did get his body back but it isn't perfect. Just like the world. I hope they can meet again one day. Pretty cool conclusion overall :)

Overall, the 2003 version had more weaker episodes and stretches that I wasn't too fond of but I loved it when it was at it's best. This was a nice way to reexperience this version since I hardly even remembered anything from the first time I watched it lol. I'm thinking of either giving it a 8/10 or a 9/10. I think I'll need more time to properly soak it all in before I decide on my final thoughts. Regardless, I loved it.

Jul 31, 2021 1:11 AM

Jul 2021
what an ending. The whole season i wanted to see Al in his own body but not this way. Almost cried after seeing Roy just lying there in Führers house.
Oct 2, 2022 6:52 AM
Sep 2022
easy ending satifying w Ed living in London
Oct 12, 2022 2:28 PM

Dec 2016
animejas said:
For an original ending and story halfway through, I really respect this show for fully committing to it. Unlike ruining the story entirely and filling it with nonsense, the staff did their damn best to create an entirely different beast halfway through while still adapting it to the tones that were created earlier on and making sure they tied up as much as possible when it came to material from the past.

The ending was definitely not satisfying and a bit convoluted as well, but the anime end was not supposed to be satisfying unlike Brotherhood, but bittersweet. Show a painful yet optimistic perspective of Edward and Alphonse's relationship and desires to save each other when both were down for the count. The gate stuff again, feels convoluted, Dante's character underwhelmed significantly despite some potential interesting themes, some supporting characters fell flat and the 2nd half felt slightly messy, but the anime staff did a terrific job in still managing to create a compelling, gritty, darker and emotional thriller out of this.

oooo3333 said:
As for the negatives of FMA03 as a whole, it did have pacing issues and many stand-alone fillerish episodes. Many anime fans who prefer this 2003 version dont talk about these issues. I hardly doubt ill get to watch this anime again due to these issues.

Sadly, this anime is forgotten, mainly because of Brotherhood (because it sticks to source and because of happier ending), and because this 2003 version doesnt feel like other shounen animes.

To be honest, after this seeing FMA03 and not having seen Brotherhood yet, I would have preferred if Brotherhood was the continuation of this FMA03 ending, since its so interesting with Ed on the otherside during World War and Al hopefully regaining his memories. Gosh, that would have been awesome.

ManWild said:
Overall, the 2003 version had more weaker episodes and stretches that I wasn't too fond of but I loved it when it was at it's best. This was a nice way to reexperience this version since I hardly even remembered anything from the first time I watched it lol. I'm thinking of either giving it a 8/10 or a 9/10. I think I'll need more time to properly soak it all in before I decide on my final thoughts. Regardless, I loved it.

Perfectly said!!! I'm glad I decided to watch this before Brotherhood unlike most other people.
Oct 26, 2022 1:41 PM

May 2018
Yes what an ending! Ed really gonna travel to the ends of the universe now lol. I really like this more than FMAB in lots of ways, especially in how personal the conflict was here. However, there are other parts which are not so good tbh.

7/10
Nov 5, 2022 10:40 AM
Aug 2022
2022 rewatch
well, i'm finally done rewatching. looking back i disliked the ending more back then, but i can appreciate it a little more here. it's strange that they have to depend on the movie to tie some loose ends, atleast i think so, i didn't see the movie yet. but this is interesting nonetheless.
i have mixed feelings on the whole thing how ed and hoheinheim are in a world that is identical to ours though.
and another thing, didn't al literally bring ed back from the dead? i thought that it wasn't possible to bring back anyone even with a philosopher stone, or am i missing something?
i do have some problems with this last episode, but otherwise this was decent enough.
Nov 18, 2022 7:32 AM
Oct 2020
This series has enough plot holes that could have been avoided. Moreover, the fight scene in anime also felt unsatisfactory. Nevertheless, the storyline is very interesting, the character development is good as well and also the support character is not just a NPC.
Apr 14, 2023 2:39 AM
Apr 2021
In my opinion, the start of the series is great, but it when different directions around after episode 25. I was disappointed by how they end the series. Another world? Alphonse forgetting everything? And the villains?! Why? There maybe some good explanations why the author did this, but I don't find this good. So half of the series is great and after that probably bad? Who knows. Maybe I didn't find the series quite fitting for their ending? maybe I am just hallucinating that I find the series good and goes downhill? Maybe I am part of the people who complaints about the ending? Maybe I am dumb?

Apologies, if this might be spoiler or not? Well, I'm only posting when I got ask for how did I rate the episode. Again, this is my opinion how the series goes.
Apr 30, 2023 4:51 PM
Jan 2023
Decent plot and progression, terrible ending simply crashed and burned the entire series
May 6, 2023 3:23 PM
Mar 2023
Watched this first before watching FMAB. I’d say, this anime is quite different from any anime I’ve seen before, but the closest one is Evangelion. Same naive main characters running into dark reality. Both philosophical, but, for me, FMA delivers its philosophy more clearly and concisely. 

The ending was quite confusing and open, and first impression was wft?… But then I thought about it a bit and need to admit, it fits into the whole anime atmosphere really well — Ed brought back Al’s body and his arm and leg, but for that he got to never see his close ones again. Really sad, but really fair ending to this overall twisted and dark story.

Also feel bad for Lust. She has shown too much of personality to just die off-screen like that. Besides, I’d like Greed to have gotten more screen time too. These homunculi, despite being of overall villainous nature, clearly had some humane part in them.

Split between 8/10 and 9/10, for now put 9/10
il887May 6, 2023 3:39 PM
Nov 6, 2023 10:00 PM
Jun 2023
I think it was a great ending that hit me emotionally. Not what I wished for to happen but it does carry the message of how life isn't perfect (which I'm sure was mentioned in the anime in a similar form).
Nov 27, 2023 4:08 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Finally, this was one huge debt I had from long ago but I finally repaid it... at least for now.

FMA was that one popular show I was constantly asked to watch yet never did until I felt in the mood to do so. As I started it I could already feel that this show was not like the others. The characters, the world, the atmosphere, even the tracks that play during the tense and thrilling moments with that dark religious vibe is something I had not seen replicated anywhere else so far. Alchemy really is a messed up concept when you think about it and the dark take the anime went for really shows that.

I really liked the presentation of the show. Yes, there are some still shots here and there as well as simple drawings during the more goofy moments but durng fights and that last opening sequence especially you could really appreciate the work that was put into it. I've already mentioned the soundtrack but it bears repeating how it immerses the viewer into the atmosphere. My favorite track is between the first and fourth opening songs, thoguh by presentation the latter probably wins.

That isn't to say everything about the show was great. By the middle part of the story I didn't really know where the it was going since the reveals of the price to pay for the Philosopher's Stone as well as the Homunculus going around chasing the brothers. Both Ed and Al felt compelled to take many of their decisions based on feeling alone and that may be what led to the finale we had by the end which wasn't as conclusive as I would have hoped. Ed's father surely came out of nowhere but he did so we could have some justification for a final boss as well as what's on the other side of the gate. Then there's Winry who I felt could have contributed more as well as Sheska and some of the side characters. Maybe it was intentional or they had to come up with something considering what I've read about them differing from the source material.

Either way, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but I did find the overall experience enjoyable. Now it's time for the movie and, eventually, what is widely considered to be the better version.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Mar 9, 12:18 AM
Sep 2023
Uhm,the whole point and reason why exactly they were looking for the stone made the show even worse
Mar 9, 12:18 AM
Sep 2023
Uhm,the whole point and reason why exactly they were looking for the stone made the show even worse
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Jun 2015
He was just lying there on the floor this whole time while Edward was fighting this whole time????? Why was the Fuhrer keeping his weakness in a safe?? So Archer ENTIRE right half is completely vulnerable but none of those other soldiers shooting his body put him down???? Why was Mustang carrying that kid's dead body out of the fire?? ROY MUSTANG dies to BULLETS in a meaningless shooting??? Oh wait he just survives!!! Somehow...

I'm so glad this shit isn't canon. So Envy becomes Shenron and isekais himself to London? 🤣 Wrath survives everything?????? Out of nowhere Dante loses control of Gluttony???? Why can't Ed just accept that Al is gone and there's nothing he can do about it? He's gonna sacrifice himself for a -124314153425% chance that Al will be revived when the most certain possibility is that they both die for nothing! Like Romeo and Juliet.

This show could've been prevented if all these people just went to a therapist and accepted their loved ones deaths and moved on. People die all the time.

And the revolution ended PEACEFULLY without a bloody world-ending power struggle??? Yeah right. The policies against the Ishbalans get reversed just like that??? Holy shit this author just ENDED RACISM!!! 🤣 So Al is revived without a Philosophers Stone in PERFECT CONDITION and with my most HATED trope of all time!!! He's lost all of his memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "I just can't help myself against those eyes" The bitch has learned NOTHING!!! His dad randomly guesses the random ass price he paid for the bs transmutation.

This is the worst finale I've ever seen. It just shits on everything that everyone has been trying to accomplish throughout this entire show.

1/5 episode and it drops my rating for the overall show from an 8 to a barely capable 7. I'll watch Brotherhood someday; hopefully it's as good as it's hyped up to be.
phantom346Apr 11, 4:49 PM
Read Toriko!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 )

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

63 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 2:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.