The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 9, 2013 8:11 AM
Sep 2012
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2013 8:30 AM

Jan 2008
I feel like the rotoscoping did not do Nakamura's actress justice at all. She's really pretty cute.
Apr 9, 2013 8:33 AM
Jul 2012
lol
Apr 9, 2013 8:35 AM

Dec 2012
Interesting. They look pretty close to the anime models. Oddly enough, I find the most normal looking one is the main protagonist's chubby friend.

Overall, the art is not that bad. The more you watch it, the more you are used to it. By the next episode, the only issue I may have is the clunky movement.
Apr 9, 2013 8:46 AM

Sep 2012
I wonder how come the real life actors look better than their rotoscoped selves.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 9, 2013 8:49 AM
Jun 2009
symbv said:
I wonder how come the real life actors look better than their rotoscoped selves.

Lack of shading. Even just one tone would do wonders.
Apr 9, 2013 8:50 AM

Nov 2012
They don't really look alike....
Apr 9, 2013 8:55 AM
Nov 2007
symbv said:

People look worse when you only have their outlines and none of their defining features.

Nakamura's haircut (or her actress's, rather) is the problem with that image that gets posted around. It covers her jawline, so when they rotoscope it and lose the subtle details of the face that make the haircut work in real life, it makes her look like a bean with a chin from certain angles. They should've had it cut a different way -- not necessarily shorter, but similar length with tapering.

Still, it's not a deal breaker.
Apr 9, 2013 8:57 AM

May 2012
Umeko said:
I feel like the rotoscoping did not do Nakamura's actress justice at all. She's really pretty cute.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 9, 2013 9:05 AM

Jul 2011
symbv said:

+1
Apr 9, 2013 9:12 AM

Jan 2008
What the FUCK? The guys look decent, and the ladies look nice... WHAT HAPPENED?!!!!
Apr 9, 2013 9:17 AM

Sep 2011
Wow this only further shows how bad they rotoscoped this

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 9, 2013 9:20 AM

Dec 2012
Trisection said:
symbv said:

Also lack of details in their facial feature. ofc, too much details makes anime models look too real for a cartoon. So they settled with this semi-realistic look.

I think the reaction people have upon seeing the art the first time is similar to when they first see moe drawing style. People just don't realize it, or don't even remember because they have been indoctrinated by the moe style from a young age! :D

Interestingly enough Picasso's drawings from Cubism, Realism, to Surrealism, had been considered 'ugly' by many early in his life. Not until much later on that people recognized him as the most influential painter of all time. Just recently, one of Picasso's art piece has been sold for 155 million dollar.

Not to say this anime style and Picasso's works are equivalent is scale, but I do see a similarity between styles that are trying to break new grounds. It's a rarity when you are able to witness such event unfolding in anime.
Apr 9, 2013 9:36 AM

Sep 2012
^ I still consider many of Picasso's works pretty ugly though X-D and clearly he lived too old to draw so many works that many of them look really mediocre but of course they still all sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars just because it has Picasso's signature on it X-D

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 9, 2013 9:46 AM

Oct 2011
The fat dude looks hilarious, damn ...
Apr 9, 2013 9:47 AM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
^ I still consider many of Picasso's works pretty ugly though X-D and clearly he lived too old to draw so many works that many of them look really mediocre but of course they still all sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars just because it has Picasso's signature on it X-D

Because Picasso's paintings are considered 'elite'. The price tag is less for the actual merit, but for the bragging right of rich people.

This is just to say art and beauty are subjective. People should not readily dismiss something that is not off-the-scale repulsive. As far as Aku no Hana is concerned, its art is not repulsive and can be quite pleasant to watch. This anime is something worth watching. I want to see the director of Mushishi's vision until the end.
Apr 9, 2013 9:51 AM
Nov 2007
I think the fat guy is actually a comedian.
Apr 9, 2013 9:56 AM

Jan 2011
symbv said:

Low budget. Lack of shading. Backgrounds looking amazing in comparison.

Umeko said:

I blame the red hair. Legitimately.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe
Apr 9, 2013 10:00 AM
Nov 2007
spectralMagician said:

I blame the red hair. Legitimately.

The abnormal color contrast is an issue too, yeah. It isn't an issue for everyday manga or anime but when you start tracing over real people and coloring their hair funny, shit looks weird.

Either way, the problem is definitely in the way they handled the hair.
Apr 9, 2013 10:06 AM

Apr 2012
Nakamura's actor is actually really pretty, shame they screwed her over with the rotoscope. The only one who looks similar to me is Yamada's actor. Now I definitely think they should have added more details to the face or at least some sort of shadowing.
Apr 9, 2013 10:27 AM

Sep 2010
This anime is the only one where 3D cast is (much) prettier/handsome than the 2D characters.....

I think this will be the first and last rotoscope anime.....
Apr 9, 2013 11:43 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:

Because 3D>2D.
Apr 9, 2013 11:46 AM

Dec 2012
SetsukoHara said:
symbv said:

Because 3D>2D.
Stop spreading lies! 2D>3D and you know it.
Apr 9, 2013 11:55 AM

Jun 2010
Tits said:
Polychrome said:
The fat dude looks hilarious, damn ...

He looks like an Asian version of Leonard from the Big Bang Theory.

Haha omg that's the first thing I thought too xD
Apr 9, 2013 12:14 PM

Oct 2012
Yuriko Mishina (三品優里子), the rotoscope actress for Saeki-san

Apr 9, 2013 12:23 PM

Oct 2012
Shinichirou Ueda (植田慎一郎), who is the rotoscope actor for Kasuga

. .

Amazingly, he also was the the voice actor for Kasuga !
okanaganApr 9, 2013 12:58 PM
Apr 9, 2013 12:35 PM

Dec 2012
^ looks like a typical Japanese kid to me. Sorry girls, this is the real bishie :)
Apr 9, 2013 12:41 PM
Jul 2012
Oh my god they made the faces look like shit! terrible lol
Apr 9, 2013 12:43 PM

Oct 2012
I have searched very hard for any background information on the rotoscope actress for
Saeki-san (Yuriko Mishina / 三品優里子). 優里子 = Yuriko. 三品 = Mishina.

Her name comes up many times on Google. But it seems that she is listed as just one
cast member in some relatively minor productions. Apart from that, there is absolutely
no specific information about her. I am speculating that this is her first real job.

She is an outstanding actress !
Apr 9, 2013 12:47 PM
Apr 2011
They didn't get the faces right because they have a limited budget.
Apr 9, 2013 8:25 PM

Jun 2012
okanagan said:

. .

Don't ask why...

I get the feeling this kid does alot of drugs.

But yeah, 3D > 2D in this case.
Apr 9, 2013 10:15 PM

May 2012
ThangLong said:
Trisection said:
symbv said:

Also lack of details in their facial feature. ofc, too much details makes anime models look too real for a cartoon. So they settled with this semi-realistic look.

I think the reaction people have upon seeing the art the first time is similar to when they first see moe drawing style. People just don't realize it, or don't even remember because they have been indoctrinated by the moe style from a young age! :D

Interestingly enough Picasso's drawings from Cubism, Realism, to Surrealism, had been considered 'ugly' by many early in his life. Not until much later on that people recognized him as the most influential painter of all time. Just recently, one of Picasso's art piece has been sold for 155 million dollar.

Not to say this anime style and Picasso's works are equivalent is scale, but I do see a similarity between styles that are trying to break new grounds. It's a rarity when you are able to witness such event unfolding in anime.

ThangLong said:

This is just to say art and beauty are subjective. People should not readily dismiss something that is not off-the-scale repulsive. As far as Aku no Hana is concerned, its art is not repulsive and can be quite pleasant to watch. This anime is something worth watching. I want to see the director of Mushishi's vision until the end.

Agreed. Too much indoctrination toward specific current dominating standards. Well, it has to change at one point, for Aku no hana, that time is NOW.

In the past curves we so desirable, a couple decades ago at much, and today women kill themselves to be skin and bones.... if today women dont look like walking skeletons they are fat and ugly..

9988Apr 9, 2013 10:21 PM
Apr 10, 2013 2:33 AM

Oct 2011
pressboardshelf said:
I think the fat guy is actually a comedian.

lol
Apr 10, 2013 2:45 AM
Jan 2010
We should get a black comedy spin-off of Aku no Hana with that fat guy as the MC.
Oh, and not the rotoscoped version.
Apr 10, 2013 2:59 AM
Aug 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
okanagan said:

. .

Don't ask why...

I get the feeling this kid does alot of drugs.

But yeah, 3D > 2D in this case.

How old is he?! (Looks like he weighs about 35kg LOL!).

Seeing the live action footage that they used to do the rotoscoping from would be a really interesting sort of extra on the DVD/BD release I reckon.
Apr 10, 2013 3:44 AM

Sep 2012
toomuchcoffee said:
How old is he?!

Apr 10, 2013 8:22 PM

Nov 2012
lol the voice actor and the actor of Takao is the same guy.
Apr 10, 2013 8:38 PM

Oct 2012
Does anybody know any more background information about Shin'ichirō Ueda,
(植田慎一郎) the voice actor for Kasuga ?

By doing a Google Image search for his Japanese name I was able to find a lot
of good pictures of him. But I didn't find anything else. He must be extremely
versatile to do both the voice and the rotoscope acting and also be the main
character.
Apr 10, 2013 9:45 PM

Sep 2012
^ Well, you don't find much information about him because he is so new. Anyway, there are a bit more personal information from the official profile from his agency: http://sunaoka.com/actor/ueda/ And he also keeps his own blog.

Apr 10, 2013 9:50 PM

Jan 2008
okanagan said:
Does anybody know any more background information about Shin'ichirō Ueda,
(植田慎一郎) the voice actor for Kasuga ?

By doing a Google Image search for his Japanese name I was able to find a lot
of good pictures of him. But I didn't find anything else. He must be extremely
versatile to do both the voice and the rotoscope acting and also be the main
character.

He's apparently a newbie, so I wouldn't expect much info to be circulating about him yet. But here's what's on his page on his agency's website:
DOB: October 1, 1993
Birthplace: Hyogo Prefecture
Height: 170cm
Skills: Magic tricks, soccer ball juggling, soccer, tennis, Kansai-ben (Kobe and Osaka dialects)
Hobbies: Reading, billiards, soccer, taking walks
Finalist in the 24th Junon Super Boy Contest

Also he has his blog set to display only one entry per page, which is annoying.
Apr 10, 2013 9:51 PM

Oct 2012
^ Thank you Symbv for the link to the info page regarding Ueda.

He has a very, very, very short resumé. Basically, he has done nothing in his
life up until now.

It seems like an odd casting choice.

Lots of kids his age have already done lots of things to clearly demonstrate their
acting talent. I am getting a bit worried about Episode 2.
Apr 10, 2013 9:54 PM

Sep 2012
In fact I would say perhaps his career is going to be a live-action actor instead of seiyuu. Anyway, the filming of this show was done more or less as a live-action drama anyway before it was made into rotoscope animation.

Apr 10, 2013 9:59 PM

Jan 2008
I kind of wonder about Kansai-ben being listed as one of his skills. Does that mean, like, they're saying "hey look he can totally play characters that speak Kansai-ben isn't that awesome!!!" or does it just mean they're kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel when listing his skills...? Hahaha.

No disrespect meant to the actor, he's apparently good at slight-of-hand tricks and that makes him pretty cool in my book.
Apr 10, 2013 10:45 PM

Mar 2012
He is oddly similar to me. Soccer and tennis are my two favourite sports, I used to be obsessed with juggling (soccer juggling), I read regularly, play billiards regularly, and take random walks regularly. We're relatively the same age and same height. If I knew magic tricks and was Japanese, we'd be twins.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 10, 2013 10:51 PM

Oct 2012
I've been flipping through his blog pages. He started keeping the blog
daily about a year ago. The very first thing he mentioned is that his blood
type is A. Most of the blog pages are fairly boring. This is NOT a guy with
a lot of creative ideas.

The really great thing about this guy is that he really convincingly looks like he
could be a grade 8 junior high school student. This is based both on his
physical appearance and also the kind of poses that he takes in his photos.

I am assuming that the producers were careful when casting the part. Clearly
they saw something that they liked in him.

He is incredibly lucky to go from nothing to being the main character in a very
high-profile anime series. This is going to make his career, that's for sure.
His resumé is going to be looking much better very quickly.

Here is the link to his blog, which is all in Japanese. But in any case you can
see the many pictures that he has posted.
http://ameblo.jp/ueda-shinichiroh/
okanaganApr 10, 2013 11:07 PM
Apr 10, 2013 11:05 PM
Dec 2012
It's funny the real persons look better than the anime characters. It's almost insulting especially to the females.
Apr 10, 2013 11:19 PM

Nov 2010
eminagnam said:
It's funny the real persons look better than the anime characters. It's almost insulting especially to the females.

Until some news outlet starts asking, I wonder if Japanese women would say about that.
I play, the haters lose.
Apr 11, 2013 9:00 AM

Jul 2012
I'd rather watch it in live drama. But oh well~
Jul 7, 2013 6:21 AM
May 2009
Hello, does anyone know the name of Nakamura's actress?
Jul 8, 2013 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
Umeko said:

Gotta agree on the cute part. Actually, I find her kinda cuter than Saeki's actress. Though perhaps it was all part of the plan? Maybe the general ugliness of the characters was meant to further underscore the darkness inside them?

Oh, and just to make things even better, here's more of the good stuff. =)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

253 by princesjelyfish »»
Apr 24, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.