Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2013 7:34 PM
Mar 2011
what does one Play and RPG for if not for a Good story with a Good Solid Narrative

my top 5 are thus
5 Final Fantasy Tactics
4 Ulitima V
3 Final Fantasy IX
2 YS V
1 Dragon Quest V [ Before any one says how can you say a 16 RPG have a Better story than a Mondern RPG Play THis and you would see]

what are your
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 29, 2013 7:35 PM

Jun 2007
Xenosaga's trilogy.
Star Ocean 2 minus the stupid 4D MMO bullshit later thrown in.
Mar 29, 2013 7:39 PM

Feb 2010
TallonKarrde23 said:
Xenosaga's trilogy.

And it even had to be cut short.

HM:
Baten Kaitos and Origins. Voice acting in Eternal Wings be damned, the writing was still good.
Mar 29, 2013 7:43 PM

Jun 2007
Akito_Kinomoto said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Xenosaga's trilogy.

Yeah, it still amazes me that something that was never even truly completed ended up coming out as one of the best stories I've ever gone through in any medium.
Mar 29, 2013 7:52 PM

Jun 2011
Final Fantasy Tactics
Kartia
Phantasy Star IV
Breath of Fire IV
Persona 3

TallonKarrde23 said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Xenosaga's trilogy.

Yeah, it still amazes me that something that was never even truly completed ended up coming out as one of the best stories I've ever gone through in any medium.

I really should finish that trilogy. I loved the first game, but the second game is just so hard to get through.
Mar 29, 2013 7:52 PM

Aug 2011
Seconding Xenosaga and Star Ocean 2 ( maybe 3 as well ).
Including Suikoden 2
Persona 4
Mass Effect
Front Mission 3.
Mar 29, 2013 7:59 PM

Feb 2010
Narmy said:

TallonKarrde23 said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Xenosaga's trilogy.

I really should finish that trilogy. I loved the first game, but the second game is just so hard to get through.

Watching all the cutscenes can catch you up on the story but if you want to go legitimately, don't use anyone else but KOS-MOS, Jin, and Momo. Level up as much as you want to when you reach a certain part with Shion because it helps the entire party and you're good to go.

The post-game is where II gets unforgiving...
Mar 30, 2013 1:00 AM

Jun 2007
Narmy said:

2 is terrible in everything from the godawful character redesign to the gameplay, let alone the fact you replay the same zone like 30 times and don't do much of anything else.

It's very relevant to the story though, so you'll want to push through it. As shitty as it is, I guarantee it's much more rewarding (as in, finally finishing all 3 as a whole) if you really play through instead of just watch the cutscenes on youtube or something (plus then you miss all the non-cutscene dialogue, which as you know isn't exactly rare in Xenosaga).

Not to mention, if I recall, you can get new costumes (bikinis wwww) from carrying over your save from 2 to 3. I believe there is a long running couple of sidequests too that you have to have save data from 2 to continue.
Mar 30, 2013 2:09 AM

Oct 2010
persona 3 fes : jorney and the answer have really great story (play it over an over agin to see that beautifull ending )
Mar 30, 2013 2:28 AM

Aug 2009
darkkrisna said:
persona 3 fes : jorney and the answer have really great story (play it over an over agin to see that beautifull ending )

Mar 30, 2013 2:44 AM

Jan 2012
It's Planescape: Torment, of course. The writing held as much depth and emotional weight as a novel, while maintaining a high level of player interactivity with choice and consequence. It also turned the established RPG tropes completely on their heads.

The feels I got after I finished that one and realizing there was nothing quite like it in the medium... Oh man.
GuZMar 30, 2013 3:22 AM
Mar 30, 2013 2:46 AM

Jun 2007
GuZ said:
It's Planescape: Torment, of course. The writing held as much depth and emotional weight as a novel

Updated my journal.
Mar 30, 2013 2:57 AM

Jan 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Updated my journal.

I'd normally get crushed under the weight of my nostalgia right now, but I'm able to vent this month by pumping all my savings into the spiritual successor's Kickstarter.
GuZMar 30, 2013 3:02 AM
Mar 30, 2013 2:59 AM

Jun 2007
GuZ said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Updated my journal.
I'd normally get crushed under the weight of my nostalgia right now, but I'm able to vent this month by pumping all my savings into the spiritual successor's Kickstarter.

I can't stand the idea of kickstarter for the majority of shit it's letting get funded (most of which being scams or more pretentious hipster bullshit "indie" games) - but I'm glad to see it's being used for some good stuff too.
Mar 30, 2013 3:18 AM

Jan 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
I can't stand the idea of kickstarter for the majority of shit it's letting get funded (most of which being scams or more pretentious hipster bullshit "indie" games) - but I'm glad to see it's being used for some good stuff too.

I've picked which projects to fund rather carefully, so I'm able to feel a bit more positive about it. The only released one is FTL, which was one of my favourite games last year. Then I'll hopefully get Shadowrun Returns, Star Citizen and Wasteland 2 later this year and Project Eternity and Torment in 2014. Damn, I'm way more excited than I should allow myself to be.
Mar 30, 2013 3:27 AM

Dec 2007
Fallout
Mass Effect
Mar 30, 2013 4:40 AM
Mar 2011
vault-dweller said:
Fallout/quote]
PLZ expan this one cause hain played Fallout it Lacks in Characterization of the Blank SLATE Pro tag for mme to get attached
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Mar 30, 2013 5:22 AM

Dec 2007
Well you just asked about the story. I guess for some having the blank slate character could take them out of it, but it helped to put me into the world. Also the character aside I just found the story and story telling to be incredible.

The atmosphere and setting alone are enough to suck you in. A bit of a tangent, but the fact that it was almost like slap in the face to a lot of RPGs made it a breath of fresh air. That's besides the point though. Just starting out as this personal, smaller quest of saving your vault and it turning into this pretty epic tale involving all survivors was awesome. From first stepping out of the vault into a world that literally you and your character know nothing about was pretty cool.

With Fallout the atmosphere and setting are as much a part of the story as anything else. This is what puts it over the edge for me. I mean a bunch of RPGs can simply be described by saying, "a no body has to save his small group, small tale turns into epic journey and your character changes along the way". Been done a million times. The way Fallout managed to suck me in through this gritty, dirty, harsh world, but at the same time with great humor was something special for me. Even though the base story isn't the most original concept, like with any other game, it's the way it was presented, the way it was told, and how they set it up was pretty awesome.
Mar 30, 2013 5:31 AM

Jan 2013
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VI
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!
Mar 30, 2013 6:09 AM

Mar 2013
I guess, my top 5 would be :

1) Resonance of Fate
2) Final Fantasy X
3) Final Fantasy XII
4) Ni No Kuni
5) Legend of Mana

But that's not all, I loved also, games like : Phantasy Star (the tetralogy and Online), I spent most of my time playing Panzer Dragoon (although it's not really a RPG but a kind of shoot them up).
Mar 30, 2013 6:48 AM

Nov 2009
Grandia II - Sure the plot is cliche but I loved it. Nothing quite like a full on battle of good versus evil.

FFVIII - My favourite plot from a FF.
Mar 30, 2013 7:21 AM

Jan 2013
Final Fantasy IX
Mar 30, 2013 7:34 AM

Nov 2009
Xenogears
Suikoden 2
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Chrono Cross
Mar 30, 2013 8:07 AM

Nov 2007
Baten Kaitos and Origins have pretty amazing plots. Also, Tales of the Abyss' plot was really good.
Mar 30, 2013 9:20 AM

Jan 2011
1). Xenosaga Trilogy
2). Final Fantasy Tactics
3).Disgaea Hour Of Darkness
4). Mass Effect Trilogy
5). Megaman X Command Mission
Mar 30, 2013 10:54 AM

Feb 2013
I'd just like to say I play games for the gameplay, not the story, and that includes RPGs, but that being said I do still enjoy a well-written story so mine would be
-Tales of Symphonia because this was the first game I played that tackled such controversial themes as racism and prejudice
-Borderlands 2, I mainly love this story because of Handsome Jack, he is such an amazingly well-written villain. Also the NPCs on this game are so memorable, the world of Pandora just has so much personality
-Final Fantasy VII, this was my introduction to the FF series unless you count FF Legend III on the Gameboy, but I don't because it's technically not FF they just slapped the title on the English versions to boost sales, and while VII isn't my favorite in the series, I still feel it has the best story, I love the underlying themes of caring for the environment.
-Radiant Historia, this one is hard to describe, I love everything about it, from the unique story, to how believable the characters are. Also, the villain is hands down my favorite video game villain he's the only villain that I feel was able to top Kefka from FF VI. On top of that it was nice to have a modern game with the sensibilities of an RPG from the 16-bit era.
-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, to explain this one, I know it's not the most amazing story ever, but the world is pretty damned immersive and I actually feel like this game is more about Luigi than Mario because while Mario stagnates as a character Luigi goes through some pretty significant development when he has to muster up the courage to save Mario for the portion of the game that they get separated.
Mar 30, 2013 1:23 PM
May 2007
Shenmue
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VI
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
Mar 30, 2013 8:04 PM
Mar 2011
ParaParaJMo said:
Shenmue
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VI
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past

Zelda and Shenmue are not RPGs but there you go

i do like them but there not RPG

Mar 31, 2013 10:31 AM

Nov 2008
There's a lot of series I haven't tried yet, but here's my top five out of what I have played:

5. Final Fantasy VII
4. Mass Effect
3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
2. Baldur's Gate II
1. Final Fantasy VI

Note these are rated strictly based off story. Final Fantasy VI wouldn't be at the top if I were talking about overall enjoyment.
HigurashiMar 31, 2013 10:34 AM
Mar 31, 2013 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
GuZ said:
It's Planescape: Torment, of course. The writing held as much depth and emotional weight as a novel, while maintaining a high level of player interactivity with choice and consequence. It also turned the established RPG tropes completely on their heads.

The feels I got after I finished that one and realizing there was nothing quite like it in the medium... Oh man.
Mar 31, 2013 1:47 PM

Jan 2013
Final fantasy X
Persona 3
Tales of Phantasia

I don't play that many RPGs :/
Mar 31, 2013 7:02 PM

Feb 2005
1 Planescape - Torment
2 FF Tactics
3 Knights of the Old Republic
4 Bioshock (Sure, it's an RPG)
5 Mass Effect 1 (More because of presentation rather than the story itself. But only ME1...)

Other mentionables would be Fallout New Vegas, FFIV, FFVII, Breath of Fire 2, DQV and Chrono Trigger.
And I'm reserving spots for The Witcher, Fallout and Deus Ex once I've played/replayed them.
Mar 31, 2013 7:22 PM

Nov 2012
none really. rpg stories aren't that great really. it's the world and the immersion that they're really good at... so for me it would be Nocture, Persona 3, Persona 4 and Digital Devil Saga. All smt games I know.
Mar 31, 2013 7:24 PM

Mar 2013
Shin Megami Tensei.

Mar 31, 2013 7:38 PM

Feb 2013
Baman said:
1 Planescape - Torment
2 FF Tactics
5 Mass Effect 1 (More because of presentation rather than the story itself. But only ME1...)

Other mentionables would be Fallout New Vegas, FFIV, FFVII, Breath of Fire 2, DQV and Chrono Trigger.
And I'm reserving spots for The Witcher, Fallout and Deus Ex once I've played/replayed them.
Bioshock is most certainly not an RPG, and neither is Deus Ex.
Mar 31, 2013 7:43 PM

Feb 2005
deadjames said:
Role-Playing-Game?
The key ingredient is playing the part of a character and making choices. Obviously, a Tabula Rasa character that lets you make his decision is the most intuitive for this. Both games have that, even if the choice aspect in Bioshock is pretty small.
Compared to stuff like Final Fantasy though, which has no choices at all and are merely railroaded stories, these are certainly more true to what a RPG is. Indeed, the only reason FF games are even called RPGs is because of the common misconception that RPGs is defined by some kind of stats based level system and xp. You live and you learn, eh?
Mar 31, 2013 7:52 PM

Oct 2009
I would have to say Xenogears.
Video game is just the medium, the gameplay is nothing great, but the story is a piece of art in literature.
Too bad the crew disbanded and they scrapped the original script in the end. Xenosaga series was supposed to be better than this... I hope someday they revived the original script of Xenogears saga.
azzuReMar 31, 2013 7:58 PM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 31, 2013 8:25 PM

Feb 2013
Baman said:
deadjames said:
Role-Playing-Game?
The key ingredient is playing the part of a character and making choices. Obviously, a Tabula Rasa character that lets you make his decision is the most intuitive for this. Both games have that, even if the choice aspect in Bioshock is pretty small.
Compared to stuff like Final Fantasy though, which has no choices at all and are merely railroaded stories, these are certainly more true to what a RPG is. Indeed, the only reason FF games are even called RPGs is because of the common misconception that RPGs is defined by some kind of stats based level system and xp. You live and you learn, eh?
Actually, you have the incorrect definition of RPGs in this particular context. The correct definition is as follows: Single player role-playing video games form a loosely defined genre of computer and console games with origins in role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, on which they base much of their terminology, settings, and game mechanics. This translation changes the experience of the game, providing a visual representation of the world but emphasizing statistical character development over collaborative, interactive storytelling.

So, yeah Bioshock and Deus Ex aren't RPGs, Bioshock is an FPS, and Deus Ex is a third-person, stealth/action game.
Mar 31, 2013 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
I can understand Bioshock being a bit on the edge whether it really is a RPG or not, but Deus Ex is most definitely a RPG hybrid.
GuZ said:
Then I'll hopefully get Shadowrun Returns, Star Citizen and Wasteland 2 later this year and Project Eternity and Torment in 2014. Damn, I'm way more excited than I should allow myself to be.

I know the feeling very well..
removed-userMar 31, 2013 9:01 PM
Mar 31, 2013 9:26 PM

Jan 2013
1) Baldurs Gate 2
2) Baldurs Gate
3) Dark Souls
4) Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines
5)The Witcher 2
Try to defeat me but try in vain.
When I win I end your pain.
Apr 1, 2013 2:08 AM
Mar 2011
Baman said:
1 Planescape - Torment
2 FF Tactics

another person who likes Blank Slates
i Just Cannot play an RPG with no Characterization and it being called good

Apr 1, 2013 2:16 AM

Feb 2011
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: Occarina of Time (N64)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS)
Super Mario 64 (N64)

Not really in any particular order, because I love them all, but I would definitely put Super Mario 64 last on the list.
Apr 1, 2013 2:17 AM
Mar 2011
dperolio said:
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: Occarina of Time (N64)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS)
Super Mario 64 (N64)

Not really in any particular order, because I love them all, but I would definitely put Super Mario 64 last on the list.

3 out of five are not rpgs

Apr 1, 2013 3:45 AM

Oct 2011
Baman said:
Role-Playing-Game?

By your logic, almost any game can be called RPG.
Apr 1, 2013 4:06 AM
May 2007
You call out in Zelda not being an RPG but what about Bioshock?
Apr 1, 2013 4:07 AM
Mar 2011
ParaParaJMo said:
You call out in Zelda not being an RPG but what about Bioshock?

i have done but so have a few others

Apr 1, 2013 6:32 AM

Feb 2005
deadjames said:
Actually, you have the incorrect definition of RPGs in this particular context. The correct definition is as follows: Single player role-playing video games form a loosely defined genre of computer and console games with origins in role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, on which they base much of their terminology, settings, and game mechanics. This translation changes the experience of the game, providing a visual representation of the world but emphasizing statistical character development over collaborative, interactive storytelling.

So, yeah Bioshock and Deus Ex aren't RPGs, Bioshock is an FPS, and Deus Ex is a third-person, stealth/action game.
Actually, I know full well what the definition of a RPG is. And no, Deus Ex is most definitely an RPG and it's not hard to argue that Bioshock is either.

If you know what D&D is about, you'd know that the key point of it is to roleplay. The stats and levels might be a defining characteristic, but it is merely a technicality, it has nothing to do with the core experience a RPG provides. The best way to ensure roleplaying is to give the player choices, that much is obvious.
So if you put that much emphasis on the technical gameplay aspect, then your definition is the wrong one. Better luck next time.
Lipi said:
By your logic, almost any game can be called RPG.
No, by the logic of whoever decided that stats=RPG, any game with that can be a RPG regardless of whether it has any roleplaying at all, like for example FF.
It goes without saying that by putting the emphasis on the actual roleplaying, you'd end up with very few games, since there's not many that allows you to act as the character and make important decisions.
DateYutaka said:
another person who likes Blank Slates
i Just Cannot play an RPG with no Characterization and it being called good
But if it's a railroded story with no ability for the player to affect anything, then there is no role playing in it, merely some kind of adventure game with stats and levels.
I can understand that completely blank characters can be boring of course, since there is no electronic game in existence that allows you to properly play a character of your own creation like in a proper RPG, the lack of an intelligent and flexible DM makes that impossible.
But that's not to say you can't have a good hybrid. Dragon Age Origins for example did this beautifully, allowing you to choose a variety of background stories for your character and then jump into his/her boots for the rest of the game. Such an approach give you both a solid, pre-written story and a sense of roleplay.
Apr 1, 2013 7:36 AM

Oct 2011
Baman said:
The best way to ensure roleplaying is to give the player choices, that much is obvious.

Such a broad definition. Far Cry 3, Saints Row and many other games all have choices, does that make them RPG?

Baman said:
The stats and levels might be a defining characteristic, but it is merely a technicality, it has nothing to do with the core experience a RPG provides.

Stats determine your role and you can't have roleplaying without a role.
Apr 1, 2013 10:45 AM

Jun 2011
Lipi said:
Baman said:
The best way to ensure roleplaying is to give the player choices, that much is obvious.

Such a broad definition. Far Cry 3, Saints Row and many other games all have choices, does that make them RPG?

Also by that definition, many of the very first RPGs wouldn't be RPGs. Wizardry and Ultima are pretty much the basis of the CRPG genre, and also the inspiration for Dragon Quest which was pretty much the basis of the JRPG genre.

Those games all focused on stats rather than choices, which is a relatively new innovation in RPGs.
Apr 1, 2013 11:59 AM

Dec 2007
suikoden II(only game i ever played and they started a new game right away after beating it)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

10 by Astachanna »»
4 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
9 minutes ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.