Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Mar 22, 2013 1:48 PM

Sep 2010
012yArthur0 said:
Avolion said:
012yArthur0 said:
Avolion said:
012yArthur0 said:
Loki9 said:
ok some of the post here makes me Facepalm

you know why i watch Anime to escape from realism and to escape from a boring real world.
i watch it because is not real and the things they do is hard to do in real life.

people complaining for Mecha not being realistic is the dumbest thing i ever read.
is a freaking Animation of course is not realistic -_-

^
You know... some people do actually want realism in anime.
-
But I just found odd when people thinks that is unrealistic EVEN for anime. Just because it is impossible doesn't mean it is improbable. As such, such thing will never affect the story/characters at all.

So, mechs are unrealistic? What about to say for fantasy then, one of the common traits of books and movies, and they sell themselves like free shirts?

Yes but wouldnt you agree about this: Every single thing you can do in real life never would be equally as intressting nor fashinating if you just took mechs that existed in real life and put them into anime, that would almost be a mecha/slice of life crossower with cars, helicopters etc.

The reason they do some high-tech mecha is to make the whole thing look cool and visually appeling, artificial logic is invented into many of these series that makes it more worthwhile to keep track of the story. High-tech is always more intressting in anime if you add some logic to it, it dosent have to be something exagerated like a magic-driven energy core or something like that, it can be something combined with our technology, only more advanced.

Technically, they flush time forward a couple of decades or centuries and present a more advanced technology that could be something of our in the near future, the mecha-genre simply mindstorms future ideas about the future-technology, it dosent neccesarily need to be unrealistic. Not objektively.

Yes, I totally agree. But some fantasies does have its own way to go with biology and logic, even physics, and yet it doesn't get this much hate as the mechs as I'm seeing now. They say like those unrealistic things are basically needless plot device, while the plot device doesn't need to be realistic to flow out. And when they make their own logic, it is (sometimes) fun to understand (if it isn't a complete trainwreck).

Like you and I said before, it can be "virtually" impossible (well, there's a chance of existing mechas in future, but are 1 in millions), as long it isn't improbable (like asspulls in plot), what is the problem of them? Virtually none.

Is because people got tired of Gundam or something? Mech universe are basically magic in a way. It's a plot device and it is not bad to have it. The thing is if the story will hand it well or not.

Hmm, good question, maybe people want mechas to have more logical explanation, i havent watched Gundam yet but concerning some certain animes that just uses fights as plots, maybe thoose dont have enough explanation, take Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, they never add any explanation thats really reasonable, they just put cool robots fighting each others. That may explain why there are haters that have a thirst for logic, thoose who like it like it mainly because of the fights and the characters. The story is written well but dosent combine with the mechas exactly. Not what i have noticed.

Of, course, there are other factors than this one, i just took one example. I definitely agree about what you said about mechas being "plot-devices".

But does Gundam really have that much haters? I thought it was considered a old classic by the majority?

Truthfully, mechas were basically made to battle each other while blowing up bits of each other, adding logic for weapons of mechas details won't help much since "the biggest hand wins" unless there's some deep hacking or "especially made counter-measures of X weapon or Y mecha" plot device.

While In magic, it seems to be more versatile anyways, since magic makes everything in a world. Especially harder for Mechas, since they basically to destroy.

A good mecha example: Code Geass. As a Trainwreck it may be, it used Mechas as uber guns and it worked, while looking flashy. Problems? None that I saw so far.

About Gundam, I don't really know. But I do think that there was many, many gundams back in the time, and adding more stuff that doesn't make much logical sense (GaoGaiGar and TTGL) doesn't help either.

Basically: They dislike it because they hate it. Mechas are like magic, use it how you intend to be, as long it is good.

Ill tell you what real magic is, its when you actually enjoy the show and take it for what it really is.
Mar 22, 2013 1:51 PM

Sep 2010
DenjaX said:

The reason why I stay away from mechas now. xDD

I don't see them the same way again.

Hahaha, if that would turn come to be a show, then it would be reasonable why mechas are hated.^^
Mar 22, 2013 2:13 PM

Feb 2013
012yArthur0 said:
Jovoo said:
Alexx_ said:
Mystic_Z said:
Some people don't like shounen, but others do.

Define "shounen".

Shounen are anime that are based on the demographic of teens. It is often confused as a genre, but it is not. It is simply an age group. So while Shounen are meant for teens, things like Seinen are meant for a slightly more aged audience.

These two are not genres, and it's stupid that MAL has classified them as such.

Shounen can be basically a otakurizated version of Rated T-13.
I think it's important to note that shounen are specifically targeted towards males in that age range.
Mar 22, 2013 2:52 PM

Feb 2005
azzuRe said:
Sakura wars movies has quite a decent combat on par with Code Geass, but most people discouraged by the pretty girls on the cover because of the stereotype that mecha anime must be manly.
Uh, is there really any stereotype like that? Gundam is the flagbearer of mecha and the manly pilots there tend to be few and far between.

Still, one of the single most annoying things with mecha beside the typically angsty teenage pilots has to be the incessant reliance on retardedly powerful super mecha, creating situations where even a complete noob kid can kill a trained pilot because he's using a souped up superweapon, or incomprehensibly boring shit like pretty much the whole first season of Gundam 00 where every battle is a laughably one-sided affair.

Which is why Votoms is the bestest mecha I've ever seen. Everyone except some of the antagonists gets the same shitty mass produced mechas, and it's the pilots that matter.
Mar 22, 2013 2:59 PM
Mar 2011
Baman said:
azzuRe said:
Sakura wars movies has quite a decent combat on par with Code Geass, but most people discouraged by the pretty girls on the cover because of the stereotype that mecha anime must be manly.
Uh, is there really any stereotype like that? Gundam is the flagbearer of mecha and the manly pilots there tend to be few and far between.

Still, one of the single most annoying things with mecha beside the typically angsty teenage pilots has to be the incessant reliance on retardedly powerful super mecha, creating situations where even a complete noob kid can kill a trained pilot because he's using a souped up superweapon, or incomprehensibly boring shit like pretty much the whole first season of Gundam 00 where every battle is a laughably one-sided affair.

Which is why Votoms is the bestest mecha I've ever seen. Everyone except some of the antagonists gets the same shitty mass produced mechas, and it's the pilots that matter.

Gundam Has Char one of the best anti heros ever
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 22, 2013 3:10 PM

Aug 2012
For the same reason people like or don't like psychological, action, ecchi or any other genre... Because they have different taste in anime.
You best be joking, nigger.
Mar 22, 2013 3:36 PM

Feb 2005
DateYutaka said:
He's still not a typical MANLY GAR TESTOSTERONE, etc, character. It's a moot point though, since we see a lot more of Amuro, and he is even less so.
Mar 22, 2013 3:41 PM
Mar 2011
Baman said:
DateYutaka said:
He's still not a typical MANLY GAR TESTOSTERONE, etc, character. It's a moot point though, since we see a lot more of Amuro, and he is even less so.

waint yousee Char in Zeta alot and hell he has a movie about him
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 15, 2013 1:55 PM
Dec 2009
tormented210 said:

The only mechas I liked so far --> Code Geass because it's not fully mecha focused having a decent history...

You, sir, are a moron. Many mecha anime have decent stories that don't focus on the robots, with Code Geass being a rehash of some. The problem is that most of them don't really appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Apr 15, 2013 1:58 PM
Mar 2011
coppero said:
tormented210 said:

The only mechas I liked so far --> Code Geass because it's not fully mecha focused having a decent history...

You, sir, are a moron. Many mecha anime have decent stories that don't focus on the robots, with Code Geass being a rehash of some. The problem is that most of them don't really appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Thank you

Apr 15, 2013 2:04 PM

Jul 2010
zero92 said:
seems that mech animes always get all the hate. whats so bad about them. everytime peopel say they are looking for agood anime they usually say no mechs

Idk, I personally watch 90% of all anime genres. Neo Genesis: Evangalion, Gundum Seed, Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann, Muv luv and so on aren't bad at all, i dont seen anything wrong with mechas. Mechas have always been seen as a pretty generic anime genre along with magical girls.
I guess some people just don't like seeing giant robots do battle and blowing everything the fuck up.
Apr 15, 2013 2:09 PM

Oct 2012
Same reused storyline from Mobile Suit Gundam? The fact that they tend to focus on the battles more then the plot and characters?

Apr 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Jan 2013
Avolion said:
DenjaX said:

The reason why I stay away from mechas now. xDD

I don't see them the same way again.

Hahaha, if that would turn come to be a show, then it would be reasonable why mechas are hated.^^
Even though this show was hilarious, I haven't been able to look at Gundam the same way again.
Apr 15, 2013 2:24 PM
Mar 2011
Shrabster said:
Same reused storyline from Mobile Suit Gundam? The fact that they tend to focus on the battles more then the plot and characters?

what do moe anime do

Apr 15, 2013 2:43 PM

Apr 2011
coppero said:
tormented210 said:

"The only mecha I liked SO FAR" you sir please read it properly and think twice before trying to look cool.
Apr 15, 2013 2:44 PM

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:
Shrabster said:

what do moe anime do

Wouldn't know, not a pedophile haven't seen much.

Apr 15, 2013 3:13 PM

Dec 2012
I don't hate mecha, I hate echi, so, so, ha, ha? Come at me bro.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 15, 2013 3:16 PM

Jan 2013
Jovoo said:
I don't hate mecha, I hate echi, so, so, ha, ha? Come at me bro.

*challenge accepted*

Apr 15, 2013 3:19 PM

Oct 2012
Well for me, I'm blindly led to believe most mecha is just...action. I'm not really a fan of flashy action, in fact, I become bored just watching it.

So nothing really against mecha in general, just overall not too fond of pure action anime, and it seems mecha falls under that category. Fate/Zero Redline being the non-mecha example.
ShoryuApr 15, 2013 4:55 PM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 15, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2012
Fear of the unknown?I don't hate them I've only seen a few but I do plan on watching a lot of them
Apr 15, 2013 3:58 PM

Dec 2012
Simple, because NGE is rubbish.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Apr 15, 2013 4:00 PM

Dec 2012
i find their fight scenes boring because i can't relate which makes the entire action sequence an eyesore. like lets be real, if you see 1 guy beating a guys face in, you're like: "ohhh shiittt, that hurts!". because you can relate to it.

but if you see two mechs punch each other in the face? who cares? it's just not personal enough. i mean, sure the mech can be destroyed making the pilot explode with it but thats simply not as interesting as someone getting shot with a shotgun for example. it's just boring to me.
Apr 15, 2013 4:02 PM

Oct 2012
Peten00b said:

Ironically, NGE is known to be the deconstruction of the mecha genre. I'd say, give some other mecha show a shot, as really, NGE is like the anti-mecha narrative.

Apr 15, 2013 4:03 PM

Aug 2010
Peten00b said:

Oh wow, nice generalization there buddy

The answer to this question is the same to why people hate slice of life, or comedy, etc. Every genre will have their lovers and their haters.
Apr 15, 2013 4:09 PM

Jan 2008
ninearts said:
i find their fight scenes boring because i can't relate which makes the entire action sequence an eyesore. like lets be real, if you see 1 guy beating a guys face in, you're like: "ohhh shiittt, that hurts!". because you can relate to it.

but if you see two mechs punch each other in the face? who cares? it's just not personal enough. i mean, sure the mech can be destroyed making the pilot explode with it but thats simply not as interesting as someone getting shot with a shotgun for example. it's just boring to me.

1:35+

5:10

Yes, just not as interesting as being shot as person than being crushed or killed from the inside. /sarcasm
Apr 15, 2013 4:31 PM

Feb 2010
Tavor said:
Well for me, I'm blindly led to believe most mecha is just...action. I'm not really a fan of flashy action, in fact, I become bored just watching it.

So nothing really against mecha in general, just overall not too fond of pure action anime, and it seems mecha falls under that category. Fate/Zero being the non-mecha example.

turn A is not all action actually the only pure action poor plot gundam shows are ones not made by tomino.

Red_Keys said:
Because it's nerdy as fuck.

remember kids being smart is frowned on. ;)
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 15, 2013 4:32 PM
Mar 2011
Peten00b said:

and its not a mecha anime

Apr 15, 2013 4:35 PM
May 2010
Tavor said:

So nothing really against mecha in general, just overall not too fond of pure action anime, and it seems mecha falls under that category. Fate/Zero being the non-mecha example.

I know there was a fair bit of ' action' in fate/zero but calling it a pure action is ludicrous...
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 15, 2013 4:36 PM

Dec 2012
Paul said:
ninearts said:

1:35+

5:10

Yes, just not as interesting as being shot as person than being crushed or killed from the inside. /sarcasm

Eureka's 7's fight was personal. the other one was boring to me though. but with that said, how many times have you seen mech fights portrayed in that manner? even within, Eureka 7 that was the only one i rememmber like that. which was mainly for plot purposes. on the other hand, there are numerous man to man fights which, viscerally speaking, outdo that (imo atleast).

but yeah, machine vs machine simply isn't as interesting to me as flesh vs flesh. but with said, i did like FMP:TSR's mech fights as well.
Apr 15, 2013 4:52 PM

Oct 2012
miereneronaile said:
Tavor said:

I know there was a fair bit of ' action' in fate/zero but calling it a pure action is ludicrous...

Thinking about it now, yeah, I did over step the boundary there. I'll take back what I said and instead put in Redline.
hazerddex said:
Tavor said:

turn A is not all action actually the only pure action poor plot gundam shows are ones not made by tomino.

I'll take that into consideration~

Apr 15, 2013 4:58 PM

Nov 2012
I'm a huge fan of mecha.

But I hate mecha shows with "little girls" piloting those giant robots.
Apr 16, 2013 6:20 AM
Apr 2013
Litrydow said:
Because mech animes that are good aren't good because of mechs. If Gundam, Macross and Votoms didn't have mechs, they'd still be good.

FTFY.
Apr 16, 2013 6:57 AM
Apr 2013
NeoAnkara said:
If you want show about mecha then it's gundam.

I'm sorry, but you sound like a typical newfag who has never watched a good Gundam series.
Apr 16, 2013 7:15 AM

Aug 2012
Eureka Seven is a mecha and its probably my favourite anime. Its more about romance and character development than about giant robots though but its still got giant robots that serve as a backbone really. Kind of like Code Geass in that sense I guess.

I watched Gundam SEED...It was pretty good imo but not on of my faves.
Apr 16, 2013 7:20 AM
Dec 2011
DateYutaka said:
Peten00b said:

You would argue if you were told the sky was blue, wouldn't you?
Apr 16, 2013 7:23 AM

Apr 2013
jojovonjo said:
DateYutaka said:
Peten00b said:

It is a descontruction of mecha anime so he doesn't hate the genre in itself.
Apr 16, 2013 7:25 AM

Feb 2013
It's their opinion. I don't hate mecha
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Apr 16, 2013 7:31 AM
Mar 2011
Arararraragi-kun said:
jojovonjo said:
DateYutaka said:
Peten00b said:

It is a descontruction of mecha anime so he doesn't hate the genre in itself.
#
i love eva but its not a s mecha calling eva e mecha is like calling kamen rider one

Apr 16, 2013 7:40 AM
Jan 2013
The same reason as why they like it. There is something that's called "taste", that causes most of the ruckus when somebody finds someone not matching his/hers.
Apr 16, 2013 9:02 AM
Jan 2013
Most mecha I've watched are pretty interesting... But they all involve giant robots o.0
Apr 16, 2013 9:03 AM

May 2012
Eureka Seven just opened my eyes
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 16, 2013 9:04 AM
Feb 2010
There are plenty of good mech anime, I wouldn't say all of them are shit lol
Apr 16, 2013 9:29 AM

Nov 2010
why do people hate anything? personal opinion... just on MAL people like to make their biased opinions heard by everybody who doesn't care to listen.
Apr 16, 2013 10:10 AM
May 2010
kickthebucket said:
why do people hate anything? personal opinion... just on MAL people like to make their biased opinions heard by everybody who doesn't care to listen.

Because that is not what a forum is about, right? What else would you do on a forum ?
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 16, 2013 10:22 AM

Jan 2013
I am to enjoy Mecha Anime, some like 8th MS, Code Geass, and a few others are great. But most are ""Meh". Mainly as frankly the stories drag on and on, or its just stupid.

Like say Gundamn Wing as an example. The good guys never go down unless its heavily scripted, the "bad guys" blow up like popcorn in a fire, and then they preach all this shit on not wanting to kill the enemy.

Yet then ALWAYS aim right for the cockpit. Least Banagher Links who actively spouts that crap DOES try and take them all out in a way to NOT kill them.

So I rather like Mecha, Heck I watch pretty much every mecha show thats came out (well I'm sure I've missed several). I just know alot of them have that same Teen hypocrite setting.

As to why others might hate them, beats me.
Apr 16, 2013 11:16 AM

Oct 2012
Well, Neon Genesis Evangelion is the only show that made mecha fights extremely enjoyable and intense, other than that, not a big fan of the genre.
Apr 16, 2013 11:19 AM

Feb 2010
natssuu said:
Well, Neon Genesis Evangelion is the only show that made mecha fights extremely enjoyable and intense, other than that, not a big fan of the genre.

your statement is invalid NGE IS NOT A MECHA ANIME
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 16, 2013 11:21 AM

Oct 2012
hazerddex said:
natssuu said:

Shut up, didn't ask you anything.
Apr 16, 2013 11:37 AM
Mar 2011
natssuu said:
hazerddex said:
natssuu said:

its not

Apr 16, 2013 12:00 PM

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:
natssuu said:
hazerddex said:
natssuu said:

its not

Then please elaborate via VM/PM, don't go off-topic.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 48 minutes ago

9 by Chandela »»
33 seconds ago

» Try describing a lawful, neutral, or chaotic good protagonist or two who would totally be troublesome should he/she/they turn into a villain, without telling us who or which anime or manga, or any other fictional works.

IAmOdie - 4 hours ago

2 by ZeroMajor12 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Apr 26

40 by ZeroMajor12 »»
10 minutes ago

» Have you encountered any waifus that you can ogle 24 hours a day and still not get bored [there are a few]?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

7 by TheBerserker »»
19 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

61 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.