Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 17, 2013 12:16 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Check out this topic for an introduction to what FAL is and its history.

Rules

The rules for the Fall 2012 season are now void and shall be replaced by the following rules:
  1. Each player will make a team by choosing 5 active anime and 2 bench anime from the spring 2013 season, listed in the next post. Please note that movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials are not in the list.
  2. Sequels can be used freely in your team. However, the anime "Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai." is a special exception and will not be eligible to be selected as part of your team.
  3. The spring season will start on March 31, 2013.
  4. Points will only accumulate within the 14 weeks this event is in session. Later episodes and weeks will not count towards a team's score. Only the active anime on a team will score points; the bench anime will not score any points.
  5. A player may swap up to 3 anime during the entire event and can only swap every 3 weeks.
    Click here to learn more about bench swaps.
  6. Players will not be required to be active for the duration of this event. Nor will they be required to actually watch the anime on their team. They will simply need to set a bracket at the beginning, let their anime rack up points, and swap benches and/or use the wildcard/aces when they feel it is beneficial to their score.
  7. In the event that at the end of the FAL season two or more teams wind up with the same score, their bench anime will be used as a tie breaker. The team with the bench anime that score the most points during the entire event will win.

The top 3 will be awarded with a banner for extra bragging rights!

If a player decides/needs to change his or her username while FAL is running, the FAL Staff must be notified immediately via private message. Swaps, aces, and wildcard requests will be rendered invalid if the player's username has been changed without notifying the staff!

Points Criteria

Automatically counted points:
The following points are counted without any input from the player over the course of the FAL season:
  • Weekly points:
    • +1 point for each user who legitimately has the anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week on MAL.
    • Double the anime's "Currently Watching" and "Completed" points for the week if 5% or fewer of the teams have it included in their active anime.
    • +25 points for each forum post in the anime's episode discussion threads in the previous 2 weeks (counted every 2 weeks).

• Additional points:
    • +5000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon weeks 7 and 10. These points will be fully counted with no difference in points between week 7 and week 10.
    • +10000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • -5 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon weeks 7 and 10. These points will be fully counted with no difference in points between week 7 and week 10.
    • -10 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +30 points for each user who has favorited the anime at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +4000 points for the team that gets the highest unique score that week. A team may receive this bonus only 1 time per season.
    • +1000 points for each company (e.g., Crunchyroll, FUNimation, VIZ) that simulcasts the anime in English. Simulcast points are counted in weeks 3, 5, and 11. No previously counted simulcast points will be counted again in later weeks.
    • +2000 points for each group that fansubs the anime in English starting from episode 1. Joint projects count only once. Fansub groups must have an IRC channel or a website to be counted. Fansub groups must consist of (but are not limited to) a "team" that translates, edits, times, etc. Fansub groups that release BD/DVD versions are excluded. Fansub group points are counted in weeks 3, 5, and 11. No previously counted fansub group points will be counted again in later weeks.
    • -1500 points for each fansub group that started from episode 1 and then drops the anime unless due to a simulcasting company's license. An anime is considered dropped when a fansub group 1) posts a drop announcement, 2) has not released a new episode in the 4 FAL weeks following its last released episode, or 3) skips episodes.
    • +1500 points for each group that fansubs the anime in English starting after episode 1.
    • -1200 points for each fansub group that started after episode 1 and then drops the anime unless due to a simulcasting company's license.
    • +10000 points if licensed in America upon week 13. This is restricted to 1 license per anime. Licenses shall be defined by AnimeSuki's License Database and their source. A home video release must be announced or heavily implied. Companies that solely get simulcasting licenses will be excluded.

Strategically counted points:
The following points are determined based on the player's discretion.
  • Wildcard
    All players are given the opportunity to choose 1 of the following options as a wildcard starting on week 9 of the season:
    1. The booster. Add a one-time 3000 point bonus to the team's score for the week.
    2. The nuke (up version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team above or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke. The team rankings of the previous week will be used. X = 6000 in weeks 9-12, 5000 in week 13, and 4000 in week 14.
    3. The nuke (down version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team below or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke. The team rankings of the previous week will be used. X = 6000 in weeks 9-12, 5000 in week 13, and 4000 in week 14.
    4. An extra swap. At a cost of 1500 points, immediately swap a bench anime with an active anime. To use this wildcard, the player must 1) send a PM saying he or she wants to use the wildcard swap and 2) post in the Bench Swaps thread as if the player were making a normal swap.
    If a player uses the nuke and the rank above/below is shared by more than 1 team, the nuke receiver will be determined randomly.
  • Ace
    In any week of the season, 1 of the active anime on a team may be declared as the "Ace". The Ace will take effect the next time the scores are counted. The player's team will receive:
    • +3000 points if the "Ace" becomes the anime with the most points in the team for that week.
    • -3000 points if the "Ace" does not become the anime with the most points in the team for that week.
    Furthermore,
    • Each anime in a team may be declared as the "Ace" only 1 time per season.
    • Aces are available as soon as the season begins.

A player can use Wildcards and Aces by PMing FALbot.

Registration

After you have read the rules, made your team, and are ready to register, you can register by PMing FALbot in the format below. You must submit your registration in this format. Copy and paste the anime titles from the list of eligible anime in the next post. Username must be the exact username as on MAL, do not make up another username.
Team: Username
AnimeTitle1
AnimeTitle2
AnimeTitle3
AnimeTitle4
AnimeTitle5
AnimeTitle6
AnimeTitle7
AnimeTitle#: These are the titles of eligible anime in the next post.
AnimeTitle6 and AnimeTitle7 are your bench anime.

For example:

Registration will need to be done before March 31st, 18:00 UTC for your team to qualify. If there is a problem with this deadline, please feel free to contact the FAL Staff to discuss it.

If you change your mind after registering, you may change your team only 1 time until registration ends. Please send the new team in the same format to FALbot and use the message subject Re-registration.
LunaAug 3, 2013 12:51 AM
Mar 17, 2013 12:16 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
The following anime are eligible this season:

Aiura
Aku no Hana
Arata Kangatari
Danchi Tomoo
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
Date A Live
Devil Survivor 2 The Animation
Ginga Kikoutai: Majestic Prince
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Bride
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Karneval (TV)
Mushibugyou
Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
Photo Kano
Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live
Shingeki no Kyojin
Suisei no Gargantia
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000%
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.
Yondemasu yo Azazel-san. Z
Yuyushiki
Zettai Bouei Leviathan

The following anime are ineligible and may not be chosen:

Again, make sure you check the post above to read how to correctly register for the FAL Spring 2013 season. It is important to copy and paste the titles so that they match with the titles listed in our database.

If we are missing any anime or any of the above information is incorrect as it pertains to the Spring 2013 season, please let us know ASAP!
Mar 17, 2013 1:23 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Fansub groups that release BD/DVD versions are excluded.

By this do you mean any group that has ever released those even if they are releasing the TV version of the series they are subbing in FAL, or any group that starts releasing subs starting with the BD/DVD version of the series they are subbing in FAL?
Mar 17, 2013 1:33 PM

Jun 2012
According to the Japanese Wikipedia, Aiura will have 5 minute episodes. Wouldn't that make it ineligible?

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%82%E3%81%84%E3%81%86%E3%82%89#.E6.94.BE.E9.80.81.E5.B1.80

Also, is RDG still ineligible even though it will have a TV broadcast after the niconico airing?

http://rdg-anime.jp/about/
taketoriMar 17, 2013 1:42 PM
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Mar 17, 2013 2:45 PM
May 2012
@marth12

Luna_ said:

Registration

After you have read the rules, made your team, and are ready to register, you can register by PMing FALbot in the format below. You must submit your registration in this format. Copy and paste the anime titles from the list of eligible anime in the next post. Username must be the exact username as on MAL, do not make up another username.
Mar 17, 2013 3:16 PM

Feb 2011
Haha, oops must have somehow missed the "PM" in bold... Thanks.
Mar 17, 2013 6:09 PM
Mar 2013
if there is a change of a show from eligibile to ineligible before the 31st, and it was one of the shows on your team, will there be notification to change your team appropriately without consuming the 1 redo allowed?
Mar 18, 2013 7:49 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Numi said:
Fansub groups that release BD/DVD versions are excluded.

By this do you mean any group that has ever released those even if they are releasing the TV version of the series they are subbing in FAL, or any group that starts releasing subs starting with the BD/DVD version of the series they are subbing in FAL?

Examples:
1. Fansub group X releases both TV and BD/DVD versions for series A. Then series A will get the points for the TV version.
2. Fansub group X releases a TV version for series A and a BD/DVD version for series B. Then series A will get points, but series B will get no points from this group since it's not a TV version.
3. Fansub group X releases a BD/DVD version first for series A and later a TV version. Then series A will get points for the TV version.

taketori said:
According to the Japanese Wikipedia, Aiura will have 5 minute episodes. Wouldn't that make it ineligible?

The main reason for excluding short anime and kids shows is that they will most probably not be popular, but there will still be some people who choose these anime for their team. When we had counting for all points fully automated (Spring 2012) it wasn't a problem to include every anime. But now that we have to check fansubs and licenses manually, unpopular anime will be excluded (based on criteria like episode duration, target audience, and plan to watch member count). Since Aiura has a pretty high member count, we will keep this anime in the list of eligible titles.

taketori said:
Also, is RDG still ineligible even though it will have a TV broadcast after the niconico airing?

RDG has now been changed to ONA so it will definitely be ineligible. The reason for changing it to ONA can be found in the Anime DB Guidelines:
+ The first release of an anime is the most important one, as long as the majority of it was released that way. For example, if only the first episode was pre-aired online and the rest is released on TV, that would make the entry a TV series and not an ONA.

Since the first release was online and all further episodes will be shown online as well, this anime is treated as ONA on MAL.

joinedforFal said:
if there is a change of a show from eligibile to ineligible before the 31st, and it was one of the shows on your team, will there be notification to change your team appropriately without consuming the 1 redo allowed?

This has been addressed in our FAQ thread:
[...] In addition, if the list of eligible anime changes during the registration phase (i.e., when we remove an eligible anime) and this affects your already submitted team, we will also ask you to submit a new team. Please check your PMs regularly to see if there is a problem with your team.
These two situations do not affect the re-registration option if you change your mind.

So you would still be able to send a completely new team.
LunaMar 18, 2013 7:52 AM
Mar 18, 2013 7:56 AM

Jul 2012
The First Episode of Data A live airs March 30, 2013. Will the first episode count?
Mar 18, 2013 10:06 AM
Mar 2013
thank you Luna_ i had been reading everything in the fal board i could in the lead up to this season that musta been overlooked by me.

super excited to participate in my first FAL.
Mar 18, 2013 3:32 PM

Dec 2007
Why do intended audience and episode length make some shows ineligible?
Mar 19, 2013 12:25 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Phoenix_Trite said:
The First Episode of Data A live airs March 30, 2013. Will the first episode count?

If an anime starts airing before FAL starts, you will get all points, we don't subtract anything. This applies to both the regular TV airing and pre-airings (online, events, etc.). If this question is mainly about forum posts, you can find more info on how we count them in the FAQ thread.

joinedforFal said:
thank you Luna_ i had been reading everything in the fal board i could in the lead up to this season that musta been overlooked by me.

super excited to participate in my first FAL.

We just posted this FAQ thread when we posted the new rules thread and we didn't have one before. Tip: Always check the club comments for all notifications (we mentioned the new FAQ thread there).
Hope you have lots of fun with FAL!

EmperorJ said:
Why do intended audience and episode length make some shows ineligible?

See my last post in this thread, second point.
Mar 20, 2013 1:45 PM

Jan 2013
Are one person teams allowed?? What is the maximum and minimum number of team members allowed/required??

Mar 20, 2013 3:47 PM

Jan 2013
It's only you, your team are the animes you picked. ;)

Edit: If that's your question. xD
Mar 20, 2013 9:47 PM
Sep 2011
I like the idea :D so who wants to team wit me on karneval and Hataraku Maou-sama! hope we can have fun
Mar 21, 2013 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
_Ghost_ said:
It's only you, your team are the animes you picked. ;)

Edit: If that's your question. xD

Yup, that was it Ghost!! Thanks, I´m a little socially awkward so teaming up w/ppl it´s not quite my thing... are you participating as well?? :D

Mar 21, 2013 11:08 AM
Nov 2012
This seems fun. Why not?
I'm in!
Mar 22, 2013 7:15 AM

Dec 2011
Double the anime's "Currently Watching" and "Completed" points for the week if 5% of the teams have it included in their active anime.

I'm assuming this should read "5% or fewer of the teams".

Now to decide what anime to use.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 22, 2013 7:44 AM

Dec 2011
I sent the team off without putting in my username by mistake the first time. Then resent it with my actual username.

Sorry for the confusion.

As usual, I went with shows that I currently expect to be the most interesting, rather than shows that I expect to do well.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 22, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
@donas Yeah, for the first time though. I'm aiming for the top 10......oops, forgot the 0 at the end xD.
Mar 22, 2013 9:39 AM

Jan 2013
Well, well... you never know!! :P Maybe we can make it to the finals!! we will find out if we have a good eye to find popular anime!! :D

Mar 22, 2013 10:43 AM

Dec 2011
There is no "finals" so to speak - everyone is automatically included from start to finish.
Mar 22, 2013 12:20 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Yeah, if you take a look at previous FAL seasons you'll see that each week, the teams are ranked according to points. It will begin to make sense once the season starts.
Mar 24, 2013 8:46 AM
Mar 2013
I'm totally taking part this season, for the first time!
Luna_ said:

+5000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon weeks 7 and 10. These points will be fully counted with no difference in points between week 7 and week 10.
+10000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).

Don't understand this part of the rules. What are "score ratings" and "(un)weighted scores"?
Mar 24, 2013 10:53 AM

Dec 2011
Viridian6 said:
I'm totally taking part this season, for the first time!
Luna_ said:

+5000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon weeks 7 and 10. These points will be fully counted with no difference in points between week 7 and week 10.
+10000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).

Don't understand this part of the rules. What are "score ratings" and "(un)weighted scores"?

Every anime on MAL has a score, based on the ratings of users who have seen that anime.

If a series has 50 or more ratings the score is weighted. If it has less than 50 it is not weighted.

The formula for weighted scores is given below in the spoiler, but basically whatever score is shown on the anime's page is the one used.

Mar 24, 2013 11:08 AM
Mar 2013
I see, thanks!
Mar 30, 2013 9:25 PM

Jun 2011
Hello, question about point calculation. When are points calculated each week? (My vague memory tells me that it's on Sunday, but I don't remember when on Sunday).
Wanted to make sure so Wildcards or Ace don't somehow end up being affected the week after.
Mar 30, 2013 10:15 PM

Aug 2008
Shih said:
Hello, question about point calculation. When are points calculated each week? (My vague memory tells me that it's on Sunday, but I don't remember when on Sunday).
Wanted to make sure so Wildcards or Ace don't somehow end up being affected the week after.

Deadline for swaps, aces, and wildcards:
Every Sunday at 18:00 UTC

Guess the only thing you have to do is to convert it into your local timezone. Hope that helps.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Mar 31, 2013 11:25 AM

Aug 2010
Registration for the Fantasy Anime League Spring season 2013 has now ended. Don't worry if you missed it. We'll be back for another FAL season in Fall, this year. Hope to see you then!
Apr 7, 2013 3:32 PM

Jul 2012
Ha! It's my first time ever, and I am somehow currently in the top 30!
Apr 15, 2013 8:23 PM
Mar 2013
"+1 point for each user who legitimately has the anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week on MAL."

Does "legitimately" have any technical meaning here? ;)
Apr 16, 2013 12:15 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Viridian6 said:
"+1 point for each user who legitimately has the anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week on MAL."

Does "legitimately" have any technical meaning here? ;)

Yes it does.
If an anime hasn't aired yet and users put it on watching, the points don't count.
If an anime hasn't finished airing yet and users put it on completed, the points don't count.
Apr 17, 2013 8:02 PM
Mar 2013
Sorry to keep asking about technicalities, but obviously this is serious business ;)

1. When counting fansub groups, is them using the Crunchyroll script (e.g. HorribleSubs) an issue?

2. "+5000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon weeks 7 and 10. These points will be fully counted with no difference in points between week 7 and week 10."
I don't understand the second sentence, but I presume it means every anime simply gets 5000*(current score rating) points in week 10 independent of the score rating points in week 7?
Apr 20, 2013 8:29 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
No problem, keep asking :)

Viridian6 said:
1. When counting fansub groups, is them using the Crunchyroll script (e.g. HorribleSubs) an issue?

We don't count groups like HorribleSubs because they don't have a team that translates, edits, times, etc. but just use an existing script.

Viridian6 said:
2. "+5000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon weeks 7 and 10. These points will be fully counted with no difference in points between week 7 and week 10."
I don't understand the second sentence, but I presume it means every anime simply gets 5000*(current score rating) points in week 10 independent of the score rating points in week 7?

That's correct.
The second sentence was added to make it clear it's different from how we apply fansub group points. Previously counted fansub group points will not be counted again in later weeks. This includes swaps: if you swap in an anime in week 5 you will not get fansub group points for this anime that were counted in week 3, only points for new groups that sub/drop after week 3.
Points for score and users dropped will always be fully counted, so you will get the 5000*(current score rating) points in week 7 and again in week 10.
Apr 21, 2013 6:43 PM
Jul 2012
I changed my name from JavierR to PrincessJavi and my bench swap didn't count. How can I fix that?
Apr 21, 2013 10:28 PM
Mar 2013
Thanks Luna :)
Apr 22, 2013 8:04 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
PrincessJavi said:
I changed my name from JavierR to PrincessJavi and my bench swap didn't count. How can I fix that?

It's written in the rules:

If a player decides/needs to change his or her username while FAL is running, the FAL Staff must be notified immediately via private message. Swaps, aces, and wildcard requests will be rendered invalid if the player's username has been changed without notifying the staff!

I have added your new name now, so you don't need to send an extra PM. Next time (or if someone else decides to change their name) please send me a PM so I can change the name in my list.
Apr 22, 2013 3:31 PM
Jul 2012
Ok thanks.
May 26, 2013 12:09 PM

Aug 2012
What is the correct format to make a wildcard request?
.................................................................................
May 26, 2013 12:14 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Romedbaumann said:

There's no special format needed, see also the FAQ Thread. If you want to use a nuke it should be clear if it's the up or down version.
May 27, 2013 5:45 AM

Aug 2012
Luna_ said:
Romedbaumann said:

There's no special format needed, see also the FAQ Thread. If you want to use a nuke it should be clear if it's the up or down version.

Thanks.
.................................................................................

More topics from this board

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Voting

Nate - Apr 22

13 by Shino »»
Yesterday, 10:48 PM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Apr 21

18 by ElyTheIrenic »»
Yesterday, 2:50 PM

» [CLOSED] Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

9 by Nate »»
Apr 22, 6:14 AM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by KarenShirotori »»
Apr 21, 4:05 AM

» Best Profile Design (January 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Feb 4

7 by batslimeman »»
Apr 17, 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.