Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2013 8:32 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was expecting this, but really is an exact continuation of the TV series, down to joking about it; Momoko the reporter is looking at a document that says "episode 48" on it, which would be this episode if you consider it to follow directly from the 47-episode TV series.

The typically higher OVA budget does get shown in the action scenes, though. Was it a hidden blessing that the TV series ended(cancelled?) when it did?
Sep 17, 2013 4:40 PM
Dec 2010
Yeah it is kind of a bummer that the animation is the exact same as the TV series, even so I liked this episode and it was interesting what I dread is when this story arc what directiong they take the series in.
Dec 20, 2014 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
Oh hey, so that Griffon shit in the first season wasn't full of bullshit after all.

Good to know.
Jul 19, 2015 7:42 PM

Sep 2011
Gero said:
Yeah it is kind of a bummer that the animation is the exact same as the TV series, even so I liked this episode and it was interesting what I dread is when this story arc what directiong they take the series in.
The animation looked alot better, there were still some cheap shots but the mechs have way more detail and there was alot more movement

And this was what they really should of ended the show on, i kept waiting and waiting for the griffon subplot to finally get brought back into the spotlight like they hinted at but never came, lets just hope this is a memorable conclusion as that arc was my favorite part of the show, just dont sweep this arc under the rug in only 2 episode

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 21, 2016 7:39 AM

Nov 2011
Man, that exciting episode! This new series of Patlabor starts in the best way, but first things first, starting from the beginning, the first thing that leaps to the eye is the new opening catchy and cute, the second is the quality of the superior designs to previous anime series, perhaps the reason is to be found in the fact that these are OVA, and not mere episodes. Storytelling and direction are excellent as are the animations and sounds. I can not wait to look at the next episode.
Aug 23, 2016 4:52 PM
Dec 2013
So there was a Dirty Pair cameo at the beginning.
Jun 2, 2017 9:39 AM
Mar 2016
I'm confused. I finished the TV series a long time ago but they're talking about stuff that happened in the TV series and the first movie? Which are different continuities
Jun 2, 2017 9:47 AM

Jun 2010
rolltier said:
I'm confused. I finished the TV series a long time ago but they're talking about stuff that happened in the TV series and the first movie? Which are different continuities

It's my understanding that the first OVA and the movies are one continuity and the TV series and second OVA are another.

Were events from the first movie mentioned in here? Loose continuity isn't uncommon with Japanese pop culture so I wouldn't be surprised but I don't recall it.
Jun 2, 2017 10:00 AM
Mar 2016
My mistake. They mention "gates of Babylon" a few times and I thought that was referring to the bad guy's plot in the movie. Forgot about the land reclamation project in the TV.
Jun 10, 2019 5:57 AM

Dec 2013
Holy cow, those new mechs got WHOOPED! It was very satisfying to see that.
Feb 22, 2020 3:45 AM

Feb 2017
Great patlabor action this time. Strong start to this series. Clearly a continuation of the TV series line. Hopefully this has more consistent storylines and fewer one-off episodic ones.

Aug 16, 2020 1:27 PM

Jul 2008
Wow this is a continuation of the TV series version? Awesome!

The only thing that sucks is only 16 episodes....I'm so spoiled.
Jan 3, 2023 5:13 AM
Sep 2009
I've just started on this after finishing the TV series. Not sure if the prints I was watching for that were restored, but they were beautifully sharp and vibrant. The picture quality here seems considerably worse -  quite dull, sometimes a bit too soft. The animation itself seems a step down too, which is surprising given this is an OVA. The mecha battles notwithstanding (that's obviously where the money went), the characters looked a bit off-model to me on occasion.

Kinda surprised they're sticking with the second ED sequence from the latter half of the TV series for now. That suggests a bit of money saving too!

Personally, I much didn't care for the Griffin storyline when it popped up before, so I'll be glad when I've ploughed through the first four episodes and can enjoy some more comedy-centric episodes with the characters.
Aug 3, 2023 8:04 AM

Jan 2008
Great. The worst subplot and characters of the series return. Meh. Can't wait for this Griffon nonsense to be over.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 16 Discussion

Fronzel - Feb 21, 2013

12 by FireRifle64 »»
Apr 16, 9:18 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 7 Discussion

Fronzel - Feb 15, 2013

8 by FireRifle64 »»
Apr 12, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 14 Discussion

ChexGuy - Mar 21, 2013

12 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 12 Discussion

zetsu_shoren - Jan 26, 2015

12 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 10 Discussion

zetsu_shoren - Jan 26, 2015

6 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 2:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.