Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2013 4:22 PM

Dec 2011
I'm really in the mood for a nice sports anime. I'd like the anime to have either comedy and or romance involved but more importantly I want the main focus to be about playing the sport, the team/teamwork, and perhaps a league/tournament/competition type of situation. My favorite sports anime so far would be Kuroku no Basket and Hajime no Ippo, can't think of any others at the moment. I don't actually care what sport it is, even if it's a board game or something as long as it makes for a good anime. Needless to say I'm only looking for anime that I don't have on my Completed List.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2013 4:24 PM

Mar 2012
Eyeshield 21
Captain Tsubasa
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 7, 2013 4:33 PM

Sep 2012
NeoAnkara said:
Eyeshield 21
Captain Tsubasa

If you haven't seen it already, then I am going to second Eyeshield 21. BOO-YAH!
Feb 7, 2013 4:34 PM
Jul 2012
cross game is on your ptw

its amazing
Feb 7, 2013 4:35 PM

Mar 2012
If you don't mind fictional sport try Air Gear.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 7, 2013 5:09 PM

Dec 2011
Great recommendations. I think I might go for Cross Game because it looks like a really quality series, but then again I love a good long anime so I'm still considering Eyeshield 21.

Is Eyeshield a good series to marathon? Does it finish strong or get worst over time?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2013 5:12 PM

Sep 2012
LayedBack said:
Great recommendations. I think I might go for Cross Game because it looks like a really quality series, but then again I love a good long anime so I'm still considering Eyeshield 21.

Is Eyeshield a good series to marathon? Does it finish strong or get worst over time?

It's a good series to marathon. It has a strong finish, BUT it doesn't finish the story. It only gets about three quarters of the way through, so you'd have to read the manga to finish it. Though, the manga and the anime have pretty much the same story, so it's not a stretch. I've read the manga and watched the anime, so I know this. Still, it's a good watch and I highly recommend it.
Feb 7, 2013 5:26 PM

Mar 2011
Slam Dunk! Seriously, it's the funniest anime I have ever seen
One Outs if you like battle of wits over physical prowess
Feb 7, 2013 5:32 PM

Sep 2012
ArchVince said:
Slam Dunk! Seriously, it's the funniest anime I have ever seen
One Outs if you like battle of wits over physical prowess

Ooooooh! Can't believe One Outs slipped my mind. Seconding this one as well... That is, if you haven't seen it. Been pretty lazy today and checking lists just isn't on my... list of things to do.
Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

Aug 2006
Ookiku Furikabutte.

And I agree, Cross Game is amazing!
Feb 7, 2013 6:09 PM

Oct 2012
Seconding Slam Dunk! (It's like Prince of Tennis for basketball, but better.)
Giant Killing (don't know if it has romance in it, but it's pretty good, it's about soccer)

And competitive board games might not be what you consider sports, but I'll add these to the list:
Hikaru no Go
Chihayafuru
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 7, 2013 6:13 PM

Jun 2012
Slam Dunk (basketball)
Giant Killing (football)
Overdrive (cycling)

hur hur.
Feb 7, 2013 6:31 PM
Apr 2010
Major (baseball)
Yawara (judo)
Capeta (kart racing)
Initial D (street racing)
Ashita no Joe (boxing)
Bamboo Blade (kendo)
Grappler Baki (MMA with no rules)
Buzzer Beater (basketnall)
Basquash (basketball playing mecha)
Whitsle (soccer)
NiN10d0hFeb 7, 2013 6:41 PM
Feb 7, 2013 6:54 PM

Jun 2012
Major-baseball. its my favorite anime so i may be biased, but its the best sports anime ive seen. like, you can really get into the game. season 5 has romance.
Feb 7, 2013 7:00 PM

Dec 2011
Wow great, I've added like 5 new titles to my list and that isn't an easy feat these days haha.

NiN10d0h said:

Yawara (judo)
Ashita no Joe (boxing)

I like you for mentioning these two anime cause they both totally rock. Seriously special anime series right there.

katsucats said:
Seconding Slam Dunk!

Hikaru no Go
Chihayafuru

Slam Dunk! is another one I'm considering. And yes I'm cool with board games, waiting for Chihayafuru season 2 to end before starting but looks great.

Thanks for the recommendations guys keep em coming. Gonna make a text file of all sports anime. In fact that gives me an idea I should seperate specific genres in to txt files so that I can navigate my list easier than trying to sift through my massive PTW-On hold.
Feb 8, 2013 8:05 AM
Apr 2010
Unfortunately there aren't many more sports anime (ones that are subbed anyway). :(
Feb 8, 2013 10:00 AM

Apr 2009
Taisho Baseball Girls. Lots of emphasis on actually playing the sport, but with a solid side of romcom
Ginban Kaleidoscope also manages it pretty well.
Feb 8, 2013 2:57 PM

Dec 2011
Sweetpea said:
Taisho Baseball Girls. Lots of emphasis on actually playing the sport, but with a solid side of romcom
Ginban Kaleidoscope also manages it pretty well.

Great thanks for taking the time to help. ^^

Actually I started Cross Game earlier today. It's turning out to be totally awesome at the very least I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it a 9/10 or perhaps even the big 10.
Feb 8, 2013 3:04 PM

Jun 2012
Cross Game is very good. Don't know what part you've gotten to, but it only keeps getting better as it goes.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 8, 2013 3:44 PM

Aug 2009
idk If Kaiji counts, but Ippo and Kaiji are the best I've seen =/ I've heard One Outs is good too.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

More topics from this board

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 6 hours ago

2 by luckyrune »»
12 minutes ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
2 hours ago

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

22 by thorin001 »»
4 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

6 by thorin001 »»
4 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

19 by WillGuabs »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.