Forums
New
Pages (13) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Feb 8, 2013 5:27 PM

Dec 2010
LayedBack said:
katsucats said:
johnyjohny said:
No thing's like bullying and threatening most stop that i agree on. But ending it for your self is just admitting you lost and that is weak.
Life isn't a game to be "won" or "lost".

Seriously, lost what? What if a person had been gang raped nearly to death, and their entire family murdered? And then they were left in severe chronic pain every second for the rest of their lives. Did they fucking LOSE because they no longer wanted to live? Is it really weak to be victimized and forced to suffer with no choice or say in the matter?

What if a person was completely paralyzed and they're forced to drink food through a straw and cry in front of the TV all day, feeling helpless, scared, alone, and in agony?

Honestly it's sad that so many of you seem to not actually understand just how fucked up life can be. Not everyone committing suicide is a depressed teenager with a future and a loving family. Some people are actually suffering way beyond your small imagination and comprehensions.

I think you misinterpreted his point horribly. Unless you didn't mean to quote Katsu, and were actually responding to Johnny. If that's the case, continue.
Feb 8, 2013 5:28 PM

Oct 2012
SRTHGV said:
The sun may appear after the rain but what appears after the sun?
Read this parable about a farmer who lost his horse.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 5:29 PM

Nov 2012
JennyEsquire said:
johnyjohny said:
I can have compassion for the one's that are in sorrow but if you decide to kill your self nobody's wins. That's just the way it is. Besides after rain comes sunshine.

Maybe the person in question ''wins''? That of course depends on what your idea of ''winning'' is.
Doing everything to make your love one's proud or happy even if it is bad for your self. In the end you still win because your goal is reached. ( I am happy if my family is happy)
Feb 8, 2013 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
johnyjohny said:
JennyEsquire said:
johnyjohny said:
I can have compassion for the one's that are in sorrow but if you decide to kill your self nobody's wins. That's just the way it is. Besides after rain comes sunshine.
Maybe the person in question ''wins''? That of course depends on what your idea of ''winning'' is.
Doing everything to make your love one's proud or happy even if it is bad for your self. In the end you still win because your goal is reached. ( I am happy if my family is happy)
What if your goal was to commit suicide, wouldn't that be winning as well? Do you understand that your personal values are values that you've given for yourself -- they don't apply to anyone else?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 5:31 PM

Dec 2011
Legendre said:

I think you misinterpreted his point horribly. Unless you didn't mean to quote Katsu, and were actually responding to Johnny. If that's the case, continue.

Part of my response is actually meant for everyone who has come in here and stated so matter of factly that suicide is automatically the wrong thing to do or it's always weak and completely selfish - as if a person doesn't even care about anyone but themselves just because they want to die. But yeah I was responding to johnny specifically, not Katsucats.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2013 5:31 PM

Sep 2011
johnyjohny said:
JennyEsquire said:

lol

Well that's just your messed up idea of ''winning''. How exactly are you winning by doing something that's detrimental to your own well-being, just for the sake of others? Sounds more like something a loser would do to me.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 8, 2013 5:36 PM

Nov 2012
LayedBack said:
katsucats said:
johnyjohny said:
No thing's like bullying and threatening most stop that i agree on. But ending it for your self is just admitting you lost and that is weak.
Life isn't a game to be "won" or "lost".

Seriously, lost what? What if a person had been gang raped nearly to death, and their entire family murdered? And then they were left in severe chronic pain every second for the rest of their lives. Did they fucking LOSE because they no longer wanted to live? Is it really weak to be victimized and forced to suffer with no choice or say in the matter? ( That only happens in movies my friend)

What if a person was completely paralyzed and they're forced to drink food through a straw and cry in front of the TV all day, feeling helpless, scared, alone, and in agony? ( Love ones put a end to it right away)

What if a persons wife had been murdered and the husband was falsely accused of committing the crime, and then thrown in prison for life without parole? ( alright this i can understand but the guy can still have people who loved them)

Honestly it's sad that so many of you seem to not actually understand just how fucked up life can be.( are you calling me a harles basterd know!!) Not everyone committing suicide is a depressed teenager with a future and a loving family. ( in my country it is the fourth one today this month and i live in a small place called Holland ].
Feb 8, 2013 5:37 PM

Oct 2012
JennyEsquire said:
johnyjohny said:
JennyEsquire said:

Well that's just your messed up idea of ''winning''. How exactly are you winning by doing something that's detrimental to your own well-being, just for the sake of others? Sounds more like something a loser would do to me.
In the end, what he's doing is not detrimental to himself because it fulfills his ego. All actions are eventually selfish in design...

But still, life is not a game in the sense that Chess is a game, designed to be played be more than 1 person under the same rules. In life, you get 1 piece to the board and you make up the rules as you go along. No one is keeping score. If a person thinks someone is "weak" for doing something, then he has insecurity issues.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 5:38 PM

Sep 2011
@johnyjohny Learn to use BBCode, noob.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Feb 8, 2013 5:38 PM

Nov 2012
JennyEsquire said:
johnyjohny said:
JennyEsquire said:

lol

that other person could be your very mom or dad who gave you this very live.Ii think that is very selfish.
Feb 8, 2013 5:39 PM

Dec 2011
So now you're saying rape and murder only happens in movies? I think you've proven just how naive you are buddy. It happens all the time, maybe not always to the extent of my specific first example but it doesn't have to be 'that' awful to completely ruin a person's happiness and life forever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 2011
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:

While true that we don't know whether what happened was actually good or bad until sometime after the actual event I was merely saying that in life you will have good experiences and bad experiences one after another.

Oct 2012
johnyjohny said:
that other person could be your very mom or dad who gave you this very live.Ii think that is very selfish.
So if your parents tell you to jump off a bridge, you would without question?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 5:41 PM

Sep 2012
Johny, please stop embarrassing yourself.
Feb 8, 2013 5:42 PM

Oct 2012
SRTHGV said:
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
While true that we don't know whether what happened was actually good or bad until sometime after the actual event I was merely saying that in life you will have good experiences and bad experiences one after another.
The point of the story is that good or bad experiences are what you make of them, not what they inherently are. If you are like the farmer who can maintain a content state of mind, then nothing that happens is either good or bad. This is actually a cornerstone to many eastern philosophies.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 5:44 PM

Nov 2012
katsucats said:
johnyjohny said:
You guy getting of track now with your over reacted movie subjects. Besides Parents who tell you to jump of a bridge exist out of 1/1.000.000.000.000
Feb 8, 2013 5:47 PM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:
You would let you best friend kill him self then shame on you.
Feb 8, 2013 5:47 PM

Oct 2012
johnyjohny said:
katsucats said:
johnyjohny said:
You guy getting of track now with your over reacted movie subjects. Besides Parents who tell you to jump of a bridge exist out of 1/1.000.000.000.000
But answer the question. If your parents gave you life, and doing anything against their expectation must be selfish, then you would jump off the bridge without question, right?

Logic must be applied equally no matter how absurd a situation seems. Saying something is only true for some particular situation but not true in others is a double standard. It means you do not actually believe what you yourself are saying.
katsucatsFeb 8, 2013 5:51 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 5:49 PM

Nov 2011
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
The point of the story is that good or bad experiences are what you make of them, not what they inherently are. If you are like the farmer who can maintain a content state of mind, then nothing that happens is either good or bad. This is actually a cornerstone to many eastern philosophies.

Well unfortunately that logic is inapplicable to someone who is already considering suicide. It would only work with someone who has a strong mental state and someone in that situation wouldn't contemplate suicide in the first place. After re-reading the parable you are right but it also clearly shows that "good" things can from "bad" things.
Feb 8, 2013 5:51 PM

Oct 2012
SRTHGV said:
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
Well unfortunately that logic is inapplicable to someone who is already considering suicide. It would only work with someone who has a strong mental state and someone in that situation wouldn't contemplate suicide in the first place. After re-reading the parable you are right but it also clearly shows that "good" things can from "bad" things.
And bad things can come from good things. It all depends on the person perceiving it. So what makes suicide inherently bad?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 5:53 PM

Nov 2011
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:
And bad things can come from good things. It all depends on the person perceiving it. So what makes suicide inherently bad?

If you read my posts you will clearly see that I'm in favor of suicide. I said that even though the sun appears after the rain, the rain will come back eventually you don't necessarily know when but it's certain that it will. This is implying that the rain is BAD and the sun is GOOD. Obviously in real life things aren't so black and white.

edit: you probably thought I had a different opinion cause I fucked up the quoting and that other persons opinion looked like it was mine.
SRTHGVFeb 8, 2013 5:56 PM
Feb 8, 2013 5:55 PM

Sep 2012
johnyjohny said:
Red_Keys said:
No, I wouldn't "let" them (although, I'm not going to police anybody's life either)

I personally think suicide is bad. But that is based in emotional and illogical, contradictive ideas.

You can't explain why suicide is bad. Because nothing is bad.
Feb 8, 2013 5:58 PM

Oct 2012
SRTHGV said:
If you read my posts you will clearly see that I'm in favor of suicide. I said that even though the sun appears after the rain, the rain will come back eventually you don't necessarily know when but it's certain that it will. This is implying that the rain is BAD and the sun is GOOD. Obviously in real life things aren't so black and white.

edit: you probably thought I had a different opinion cause I fucked up the quoting and that other persons opinion looked like it was mine.
No, I know you are. I'm just saying people who are saying "there are better days" are like that farmer's neighbor; they are myopic, seeing only a short distance ahead instead of the bigger picture.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 6:01 PM
Mar 2012
If meaning exists because of some "agent" who ascribes worth to things, then can't suicide be bad in most cases because I say so? I'm an agent, and I think life has meaning.
Feb 8, 2013 6:05 PM

Dec 2010
Red_Keys said:
johnyjohny said:
Red_Keys said:
No, I wouldn't "let" them (although, I'm not going to police anybody's life either)

I personally think suicide is bad. But that is based in emotional and illogical, contradictive ideas.

You can't explain why suicide is bad. Because nothing is bad.

Slippery slope bud.
Feb 8, 2013 6:06 PM

Nov 2011
katsucats said:
SRTHGV said:

No, I know you are. I'm just saying people who are saying "there are better days" are like that farmer's neighbor; they are myopic, seeing only a short distance ahead instead of the bigger picture.

Unfortunately I'm a realist who believes that I could die at any moment. For this reason I live in the moment doing what I want and never look back. I very rarely look into the future and imagine what I'll be doing in a few years from now. This is because I feel that it's stupid considering that there is a time gap between now and then. Things change and so thinking about the "bigger picture" doesn't seem as relevant to me.

I don't think "there are better days" I think about how to make my days better.
Feb 8, 2013 6:07 PM

Sep 2012
Legendre said:
Slippery slope bud.
What do you mean?
Feb 8, 2013 6:07 PM

Oct 2012
extraspectra said:
If meaning exists because of some "agent" who ascribes worth to things, then can't suicide be bad in most cases because I say so? I'm an agent, and I think life has meaning.
Yes, once we realize that meanings are opinions, it can be. But another question remains: Is that meaning that you've ascribed consistent with other meanings that you hold true?

In the case of johnyjohny, for example, if he believes suicide is selfish because it disappoints the expectations of the people who brought him into this world --his parents-- then if that reasoning is consistent he must hold categorically: X (where X is an action) is selfish because it disappoints the expectations of the actor's parents.

Now... the person is "entitled" to an inconsistent opinion if he so wishes, but we do not have to respect that willful ignorance.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 6:12 PM
Mar 2012
I think suicide is a little more that disappointing to a person's parents, and why can't there be a line of how much sadness its ok to cause. Like if I buy the last packet of skittles that the guy in line behind me wants. That upsets him. Its not like
I shot his dog though.
Feb 8, 2013 6:15 PM

Nov 2012
katsucats said:
But answer the question. If your parents gave you life, and doing anything against their expectation must be selfish, then you would jump off the bridge without question, right?

Logic must be applied equally no matter how absurd a situation seems. Saying something is only true for some particular situation but not true in others is a double standard. It means you do not actually believe what you yourself are saying.
this i can't answer because just cant believe my parents would do such a thing. lets say i call this a no for now.
Feb 8, 2013 6:17 PM

Oct 2012
extraspectra said:
I think suicide is a little more that disappointing to a person's parents, and why can't there be a line of how much sadness its ok to cause. Like if I buy the last packet of skittles that the guy in line behind me wants. That upsets him. Its not like
I shot his dog though.
There can be a line, but you have to be able to define it. You can't just arbitrarily say this is true here, but not true there, for no particular reason...

If we assume that there's no fundamental difference in the type of disappointment, that it's only the scale of disappointment that matters, then would it be okay to say that if Person A's parents are more emotional, then it would not be okay for Person A to suicide, but okay for Person B since his parents are more stoic?

If it upsets Person C's parents that Person C didn't go on a murderous rampage across town (hypothetical here) on the same scale that it upsets Person A's parents should Person A commits suicide, then is Person C selfish for not going on that murderous rampage?
katsucatsFeb 8, 2013 6:20 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 6:19 PM

Oct 2012
johnyjohny said:
katsucats said:

this i can't answer because just cant believe my parents would do such a thing. lets say i call this a no for now.
In this case you clearly don't think people should just follow the expectations of others, there must be some other criteria.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 6:23 PM
Mar 2012
katsucats said:
There can be a line, but you have to be able to define it. You can't just arbitrarily say this is true here, but not true there, for no particular reason...

If we assume that there's no fundamental difference in the type of disappointment, that it's only the scale of disappointment that matters, then would it be okay to say that if Person A's parents are more emotional, then it would not be okay for Person A to suicide, but okay for Person B since his parents are more stoic?

If it upsets Person C's parents that Person C didn't go on a murderous rampage across town (hypothetical here) on the same scale that it upsets Person A's parents should Person A commits suicide, then is Person C selfish for not going on that murderous rampage?

Person C would be hurting a lot of other people by going on a killing spree.

I think the scale changes based on a person's sensitivity to an extent, but throwing out extreme cases doesn't really work all that well. If it would hurt me to bend so far because someone else was sensitive I wouldn't do it. But if it doesn't effect me inversely then why not.
Feb 8, 2013 6:23 PM

Nov 2012
Alright just for the record are you guys mad at me because i have a different opinion? I don't mean to offend anybody if i did. And i go to bed soon and want to sleep peacefully of course.
Feb 8, 2013 6:25 PM

Jun 2012
Im going to put this out here read the manga "Aku no Hana"
Is related to this topic have fun.
Feb 8, 2013 6:27 PM
Mar 2012
Toanmaru said:

it was already in my ptr, but now I may get around to it sooner. :)
Feb 8, 2013 6:29 PM

Nov 2012
Toanmaru said:
i hope i learn from it
Feb 8, 2013 6:40 PM

Oct 2012
extraspectra said:
katsucats said:

Person C would be hurting a lot of other people by going on a killing spree.
So now the utility of other people might counteract your parent's utility (does this mean that the "they brought you into this world" logic is forfeit, or are the parents' utilities still worth more than the third party, and if so, how much more?). If Person D was a slave driver at work and all 500 of the company's employees hates him. If he leaves the company, the assistant will rise to his rank and all 500 employees love this guy. Then would it be okay for Person D to commit suicide if the utility of the 500 people outweigh those of the parents?

extraspectra said:
I think the scale changes based on a person's sensitivity to an extent, but throwing out extreme cases doesn't really work all that well. If it would hurt me to bend so far because someone else was sensitive I wouldn't do it. But if it doesn't effect me inversely then why not.
Extreme cases are the easiest way to test whether a value holds true.

Come to think of it, I still don't know whether you think suicide is selfish, or what your positions are. I've just been arguing with you based on johnyjohny's opinions.

johnyjohny said:
Alright just for the record are you guys mad at me because i have a different opinion?
I'm not mad at anyone. I'm trying to get you to either 1) realize that you hold inconsistent opinions, or 2) explain your opinions in a way that they become consistent.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 8, 2013 6:53 PM
Mar 2012
katsucats said:

So now the utility of other people might counteract your parent's utility (does this mean that the "they brought you into this world" logic is forfeit, or are the parents' utilities still worth more than the third party, and if so, how much more?).

I guess I wouldn’t know just how much my parents really mean to me until I really have to make a choice. I can talk about it, but does that really explain how much they mean to me.

katsucats said:

If Person D was a slave driver at work and all 500 of the company's employees hates him. If he leaves the company, the assistant will rise to his rank and all 500 employees love this guy. Then would it be okay for Person D to commit suicide if the utility of the 500 people outweigh those of the parents?

Why do they hate him and love the other guy?

katsucats said:

Come to think of it, I still don't know whether you think suicide is selfish, or what your positions are. I've just been arguing with you based on johnyjohny's opinions.

Yeah, I guess it’s selfish, but some people don’t really have other people that are all that close to them. Just because a teenager has parents doesn’t mean they have a relationship. All loners are self absorbed. There is no other way for us to be.
extraspectraFeb 8, 2013 7:40 PM
Feb 9, 2013 2:04 AM

Jan 2013
I am just going to say suicide goes against the human nature of surviving by socializing.

If Nietzsche was alive, he will pimp slap all those suicidal people for not being passive nihilism and active nihilism. Suicide lacks pessimism and reevaluation.
Feb 9, 2013 2:35 AM

Nov 2012
I've been thinking about this a bit know and i don't think i am the one to argue about suicide. That's because i live a happy live my self and have never been close to something like that to happen.
So i want to apologize for what i wrote on this topic last night because that was the opinion of someone who never ever ever ever had suicidal tough ts and if i had i would get rid of it right i way because i dont want my love ones to be unhappy. But than again i am never been rapped or something like that.
Feb 9, 2013 3:39 AM

Oct 2012
TookMe6Years said:
I am just going to say suicide goes against the human nature of surviving by socializing.
What does suicide have to do with socializing? I don't get it.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 9, 2013 3:55 AM

Apr 2012
johnyjohny said:
I've been thinking about this a bit know and i don't think i am the one to argue about suicide. That's because i live a happy live my self and have never been close to something like that to happen.
So i want to apologize for what i wrote on this topic last night because that was the opinion of someone who never ever ever ever had suicidal tough ts and if i had i would get rid of it right i way because i dont want my love ones to be unhappy. But than again i am never been rapped or something like that.

Must we necessarily have suicidal thoughts to argue about suicide...?

I think no rapper ever rapped me either... I'd really like a song about me, now.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 9, 2013 4:14 AM

Aug 2011
Quoting some random philosopher

"When a man dies before his time, how much is truly lost? like a withered branch that bears no more fruit, would his offspring had been saints? murderers? both? the answer goes with him when he leaves our world"

Suicide for many is basically an escape, people who can't face responsibility and reality, if you think of it in another way however, it might actually be a good thing as those who chose to suicide are those who are incapable and humanity has no need of them logically speaking. The major problem with suicide is the consequences it bears, when a father suicides? what happens to his child? a soldier suicides? whos gonna protect the borders? that is something that I cannot approve, once you have lost everything however, you can do anything you want
kek
Feb 9, 2013 4:28 AM

Oct 2012
im4eversmart said:
"When a man dies before his time, how much is truly lost? like a withered branch that bears no more fruit, would his offspring had been saints? murderers? both? the answer goes with him when he leaves our world"
Is the answer really important? There are infinite possibilities with every decision.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 9, 2013 4:45 AM

Aug 2011
katsucats said:
im4eversmart said:
Is the answer really important? There are infinite possibilities with every decision.

The "infinite possibilities" IS the answer and its what Im trying to point out in response to this thread why suicide is a bad thing, cause you lose those infinite possibilities in the process
kek
Feb 9, 2013 4:50 AM

Oct 2012
im4eversmart said:
katsucats said:
im4eversmart said:
The "infinite possibilities" IS the answer and its what Im trying to point out in response to this thread why suicide is a bad thing, cause you lose those infinite possibilities in the process
You lose infinite possibilities whenever you make a decision. You just typed a post. You could've phrased it differently. Much differently. It could've had one word. Maybe 2, or 50. You could've flailed your arms while you typed or singed Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars.

Suicide is no different. At any point, we choose 1 action out of approaching infinite. Choosing that action would remove approaching infinite possibilities from that moment in time, whether it's suicide or twitching your toes.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 9, 2013 7:09 AM

Aug 2012
In the end, what is your conclusion @katsucats ?
Feb 9, 2013 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't call it good nor bad to be honest.
To simply frown upon someone for not having the strength of going through life is quite low, especially coming from someone that can't comprehend the situation. People are different, they are complex and make complex choices and it is therefore impossible to generalize such a topic with a simple ''definite'' answer.
Feb 9, 2013 8:05 AM

Jun 2008
Immahnoob said:
Your problems wont be solved you said, but do you think you care after you die? If you die, you're free of whatever problems you have, after all, you'll rot somewhere in the ground.

Those that commit suicide don't think about solving the problem, but about running away from it, which also works, why should you give a fuck after your dead if you can't even do that?

I don't think literally feeling nothing is better than being in the position to solve your problems and live your life the way you want, but that's just me :O

Are you sure you can make such a generalisation? ô_ô Anyway, if they had the choice, I'm sure they'd prefer all of their problems disappearing as compared to "running away". So I suppose solving those problems didn't work out~

katsucats said:
but the relief from pain -- the loss of a feeling

How is that the same? Feeling nothing =/= relief :O
Pages (13) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you track movies you've watched?

Kei_XI - Mar 28

33 by leuscius »»
28 minutes ago

» How much soda do you drink in a week?

HunteerX - Yesterday

40 by rho34 »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you guys actually read the comments on the threads here

tsukareru - May 11

30 by rho34 »»
45 minutes ago

» Your Top 3 non-anime movies

60D - Mar 10, 2021

15 by LoveLikeBlood »»
1 hour ago

» Women live longer than men

MUFFlN - May 12

31 by LoveLikeBlood »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.