Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 9, 2008 12:51 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty good episode. Though I think the explosion would have had more of an impact had they showed everything in normal pace rather than slow-mo. But that's my opinion.

Totally looking forward to next episode. :D
Nov 9, 2008 4:24 PM

Jun 2007
The next episode is going to be amazing. This one was also pretty good. Kuma really knows how to fuck shit up XD
Nov 9, 2008 5:31 PM

Jan 2008
This episode had a good beginning, but they killed the pace of it once Sanji kicked Kuma in the face. I was sorely disappointed up until the Ursus bomb. To me it was like five minutes of action, and the rest of the episode was just the camera pacing over everyone's faces over, and over, and over again. We've seen them already, get on with it dammit! Next week's should be good, but I'm sure they'll drag that out ridiculously too. -_-
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Nov 9, 2008 7:02 PM

Nov 2007
kevin_video said:
This episode had a good beginning, but they killed the pace of it once Sanji kicked Kuma in the face. I was sorely disappointed up until the Ursus bomb. To me it was like five minutes of action, and the rest of the episode was just the camera pacing over everyone's faces over, and over, and over again. We've seen them already, get on with it dammit! Next week's should be good, but I'm sure they'll drag that out ridiculously too. -_-

I have to agree. It was a pretty cool episode, but the constant slow pans were killing me.
Nov 9, 2008 10:54 PM

May 2008
I think it's quite clear that Toei is trying to turn this series into Dragon Ball Z with such a ridiculous pace.
LeskyelNov 9, 2008 11:13 PM
Nov 10, 2008 1:57 AM

Jun 2008
I hope not. Yeah it was a good episode but not something special after like 3 weeks i think. Even worse they just longed the manga. It could've gone farther for anime but hey maybe next week would be good. And I agre about the Ursus bomb even in the manga had more affective :) They sould've done different in there. Just finish this arc. It's just getting pain in the ass.
Nov 10, 2008 5:04 AM

Apr 2008
Hell, it's still better than Naruto Shippuuden from a while ago , now THAT was dragging lol xD But indeed, still, One Piece isn't known to do this alot, but lately it steadily gets more , which sux indeed. Still I LOVED this episode , although next one should be even better. True though, agreed , I wantz new arc too ;)
Nov 10, 2008 8:04 AM

Nov 2007
i have to agree with what you all have said. i hope the next episode isn't as dragged out as this one. the preview was promissing though
Nov 10, 2008 8:11 AM
Jul 2007
Meh, I have high expectations from One Piece because I just adore the series, rewatched it a couple of times ... right now TB is my least favorite arc on series.

The episode was pretty 'ok' to me ... still dragging on like the TB arc.
Nov 10, 2008 8:16 AM

Jul 2008
I kinda feel disappointed in this episode since its dragging a lot. But currently I'm enjoying the manga.

Nov 10, 2008 11:09 AM

Jan 2008
Dissapointing episode. It started out well, but when they spend like, 5 minutes straight just staring at the guy who is about to blow them up with a superpowered air-bomb... It was just WAY. TOO. SLOW. It would have been much better if they had spent more time on the fight against Kuma, possibly extended it a bit, rather than spending ages showing "zOMG HE'S MAKING A BOMB!!!" and an equally long time showing this "bomb" detonating.
Nov 10, 2008 2:16 PM

Dec 2007
Yeah, I agree that the whole episode was abit too slow, but I think that for the explosion, being in slow motion, gave it a sense of OMG, the end of the World, which I liked. Obviously, I would've prefered more battle, but I liked the ep anyway.

Next weeks episode looks too good to miss!!

My Claims:
Nov 10, 2008 6:32 PM
Jun 2008
It was a good episode. Tolerable. Kuma is too strong.

But, my disappointment isn't with this episode. It's with the fact that Gecko Moria was perhaps the weakest of the Shichibukai. I totally expected him to defeat Luffy with severe physical damage once he got powered up on 1000 shadows. But, nah, he wasn't much of a challenge (at least not as much as Crocodile). It's hard for me to believe he was able to fight equally against Kaidou.
Nov 10, 2008 10:34 PM

Jan 2008
Thousand-Eyes said:

But, my disappointment isn't with this episode. It's with the fact that Gecko Moria was perhaps the weakest of the Shichibukai. I totally expected him to defeat Luffy with severe physical damage once he got powered up on 1000 shadows. But, nah, he wasn't much of a challenge (at least not as much as Crocodile). It's hard for me to believe he was able to fight equally against Kaidou.

I'd say it's more than just a matter of strength. Crocodile was just an absolute amazingly well written villain in every sense of the word and by comparison Moria comes off as little more than a lazy prick with a chip on his shoulder.

Nov 11, 2008 3:28 PM

Jun 2007
Well Crocodile got his ass kicked once Luffy figured out his weakpoint. Still a incredible villain ;)

Moria was different. Lazy, Beaten by Kaidou, kinda forced into the whole, I'll use Shadows thing, and since that always worked fine untill he met the Mugiwara. He went and gone Trunks on everyone (I hate to involve DBZ in conversations but bear with me. Trunks basically at one point got so strong, it limited his movements etc.) Moria has the same problem. Sure he got stronger, but as a result he had trouble containing all that power inside of his body. In the end. I like Moria as a villain. At least he has a more interesting background then say Lucci, but yea. The end fight wasn't as great as it could have been. Luckily we get Kuma to make up for that ^^
Nov 13, 2008 9:15 AM

Apr 2008
Kinda slow episode but I still liked it
I am looking forward to the next episode
Zoro looks Awesome!!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Nov 13, 2008 11:20 AM

Jul 2008
I liked the episode, was good expect all this time.

I can't wait for next episode, Zoro finally got an opportunity to show your skills and protect your nakamas.
Nov 13, 2008 2:10 PM

Aug 2008
I loved this epidode! Everybody are so exhausted!
But, Go Zoro Go!
Nov 15, 2008 7:21 AM

Jul 2008
Cool episode, really looking forward to the next!
Life is ephemeral..smile when you can and make the most of it ^^;

Currently scribble for Cyten.co.uk
Dec 15, 2009 1:30 AM

Oct 2009
Zoro is so freakin' cool words cannot describe...
Dec 15, 2009 2:44 AM

Dec 2009
The Ursus Shock is EPIC!! :)
Feb 18, 2010 1:13 AM

May 2008
Zoro is one of the reasons why this show rocks

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Feb 24, 2010 11:11 PM

Mar 2007
If this whole story arc turns into some big stupid Dream sequens im going to /wrists for wasting my time.

THEY ALL BETTER DIE

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Mar 16, 2010 4:45 AM

Oct 2008
If Zoro was a real person, I'd be hypnotized by the way he fights. Love it!
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 17, 2010 4:55 PM

Mar 2010
damned !!
The Episode was amazing :D

This Samurai is very strong °-°

...from the explosion, windows broken, trees cut of, stone breaks
~ but humuns just fligh away xDD~~
not really reality (okay, i know it's a Anime . . . but the contrast to reality ist heavy)

looking forward to see next episode
May 21, 2010 9:29 AM

Feb 2009
I honestly liked this episode, Kuma's power is freaking amazing, this guy is overkill, in my eyes he is in the level of Blackbeard and Enel, what a beast... Looking forward the next one.
Apr 8, 2011 5:19 AM

Jul 2007
Ku, ku, kuma's Ursa Shock wave O_O. Holy fucking hell!! He just obliterated the whole god damn island.

Usopp : Sanji didn't even make him blink, what in the hell is this?" I am thinking the same thing. Who or what in the hell is this guy?

This was one of the most intensified episodes i have seen in one piece, period!!

I swear to holy christ if the straw hats end up defeat an opponent like this in there current state, i will quit one piece for good because that is beyond the boundaries of even a shonen.

Sure enough out of all the straw hats, zoro is the one to never turn down a fight no matter how grim the situation is. Well this shit is really getting epic.
ArtimesGamerApr 8, 2011 5:23 AM

Apr 8, 2011 5:21 AM

Jul 2007
kevin_video said:

I disagree, it think showing the expressions on every one's face really helped to intensify the situation that was shown in the episode. i don't under stand how in the preview the straw hats are still alive after that. I know this is a shonen, but wtf. Guess ill have to see next episode to find out why.

Apr 8, 2011 5:28 AM

Feb 2009
I agree that this opponent is beyond the Strawhats skills even at full strength, and this episode together with the next one it one of the best experiences I had in One Piece (taking into account the future events this is even more spectacular)
May 10, 2011 11:56 AM

Jun 2009
Well, Ursa bomb probably just teleports people like Kuma did a few episodes back to Perona. That's what I think, but it never was shown whether or not people are teleported by his ability but I think that's the case. For example, he did ask Perona where she wanted to go.

As far as the pacing, it seems alot of people on these forums aren't happy unless someone is getting their face pounded in..I think anyone bitching about pacing at this point in the series needs to get over it. One Piece has pretty much always been a slow series, that's just how it is.

Also, many of these guys were watching the series as the episodes aired. I can imagine that would test even my patience if I had to constantly wait a week between episodes. Fuck that shit.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 19, 2011 2:08 AM

May 2010
So that's why his name is Bartholo"MEW" haha.. Kuma is so bad-ass! Its such a thrill just watching! I was literally on the edge of my seat.. His Nikyu Nikyu ability looks kinda lousy.. with the paw print and such.. didn't explain about his teleportation skill.. but guessing; he's just deflecting himself with air.
The ending with the bomb.. must've pissed off Moria because its bye bye Thriller Bark haha
The next episode is going to be good! Well I feel Zoro is no match.. nonetheless its still going to be a blast!
Mar 21, 2012 11:22 PM

Jan 2010
I find it amazing that Oda took a laughably cute devil fruit (Paw Paw fruit?!) and turned it to one of the most SCARY ONES that have appeared so far. Really is proving the point that people get stronger when they discover new uses and ways to use their powers, not only when they get physically stronger 0n0.
Jul 16, 2012 3:33 PM
Apr 2010
For a second there I thought I was watching DBZ...
Nov 11, 2012 10:03 AM

Mar 2010
NEVER! Well thats to bad..

Awesome episode.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 9, 2013 2:35 PM

Apr 2012
wish they didnt slow mo the explosion. but it was still terrifying!
kuma really has so much power... i'm really worried whether they'll be alive or not :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2014 12:52 PM

Dec 2012
Zoro you are the incarnation of badassness and epicness <3 <3 <3
I don't really get Kuma's power to be honest. I hope it will become more clear afterwards.
Next episode seems insane!!!
p.s. I love it when Sanji and Zoro interfere at each others' battles and try to save their asses :3
Sep 10, 2014 3:32 PM

Oct 2013
Next up

Oct 18, 2014 9:23 PM

Jan 2014
URSUS SHOCK!!!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 10, 2015 11:02 PM

Jun 2015
damn what now
Aug 23, 2015 12:49 PM

Mar 2015
Roughly 60% of this ep was reaction shots.
Aug 31, 2015 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
I think it would have been a lot cooler if they showed the explosion in slo-mo like that and then showed it again but in regular speed.
Anyways, ready for the next ep to see how the Straw Hats get through this one.
May 17, 2016 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
kevin_video said:

Agreed, the worst is that they're getting used to to that, if you add that to the opening + recap of every episode, the content of the episode which remains new it's way too little... what a pity they are doing it like this, it's like they just want to make a lot of eps no matter what...
May 17, 2016 9:30 PM

Jan 2008
IzKir said:
kevin_video said:

Agreed, the worst is that they're getting used to to that, if you add that to the opening + recap of every episode, the content of the episode which remains new it's way too little... what a pity they are doing it like this, it's like they just want to make a lot of eps no matter what...

Mark my words, in 10 years time when this series finally ends, there will be a Kai version and it'll be half the episodes.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jun 2, 2016 5:00 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I really was worried that Sanji BROKE his leg x_x

Jul 24, 2016 7:30 AM

Mar 2015
The only highlight of this one is literally the first time we see Sanji in pain after kicking someone

That Tyrant looks to be something, even though in all honesty he looks stupid
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 30, 2018 2:13 AM

Jun 2016
Loved the start of the episode but as it went on especially in the second half I got so bored because of the pacing issues. The reaction shots they lingered on, especially the ones they reused before and after the commercial break were so tedious. It really felt like it was reaching DBZ levels especially with the spirit bomb build up too hahahaha. It wasn't enough for it to ruin the episode but man it killed an otherwise excellent moment, I think last episode was far better. And, to clarify, this is my first issue with One Piece pacing outside of Skypiea, I even don't mind the long opening(since lack of ED), nor the recap because I always pick up something new watching it. And, I love episodes that focus on the little details about the characters, in fact my favorite part of the episode was Zoro's speech at the beginning. I too have noted most One Piece fans love when the guys punch each other and call anything else slow pacing but that's not it, I was just sick of the tedious and reused reaction shots this episode around the middle and end of the episode.

So, to not complain anymore, let's get into what I liked! Almost like I forgot everything about Zoro, I said two things could happen:
1. Someone could save them.
2. They could escape with a Lola Pirate distraction.
However, Zoro mocked the first possibility with the speech I loved by saying "If I start making excuses will someone come rescue us?" and for the second, Zoro refuses to retreat. He either wins in battle or he loses, those are the only two ways he will leave a fight. Of course he couldn't retreat, that would be absolutely not his character. I suppose HE could be the distraction as he fights Kuma and the others retreat with Luffy but I hadn't thought that far.

Speaking of that speech it reminded me of what he told Chopper back in the Foxy arc. A value central to who he is, is that he accepts what he's signed up for. When he turns into a wax statue he accepts it. When his shadow has been taken he cherishes it and the period of burning that he will only feel once. When he loses a fight he embraces a negative ghost or famously Mihawk's slash without faltering. In the Foxy arc he told Chopper who was forced into being a Foxy Pirate,

"That's enough of your bellyaching Chopper! It's shameful! Going out to the sea was your decision. The place and time you die will be your decision too. No one can change that! We accepted this game! Usopp's team and you did everything you could! In a world of pirates, no one will sympathize with those tears! As a man... you're going to suck it up and watch the rest of the events!"

Which in other words means accepting the fate you've chosen and not making excuses about it. Embracing your fate with open arms, literally sometimes. And that is a core value Zoro has always held and this episode exemplified it as he gave a speech very similar to that one yet about him this time as he faced an opponent who he is probably going to die against(well if this wasn't shounen).

"The world is designed so when it rains trouble, it pours. If I start making excuses will someone come rescue us?"

It was so Zoro and I wouldn't have it anyway. I started to forget the kind of person he was however briefly and this is who he is. He will grin in the face of the death he has chosen. For there is no reason to make excuses, all you can do is accept it. Brutal, stoic, Bushido, it's freaking Zoro man. And I love him to pieces. I think I like Luffy and Usopp more than him but he rests at a strong third place in my favorites list.

Also, did he just dodge a paw air gatling attack that was just previously said to be at the speed of light matrix style? I'll just not think about it too much.

The other part I loved was the ending, at least, the core parts of it. It was interesting for Kuma to show some character. He said it was a shame he won't derive pleasure in killing the weakened Straw Hats. This makes me think two things, one is that this is where his famous cruelty comes from, and two he may be Zoro-esque in that he likes to push himself in combat and that's a place where he gets pleasure even if it's more so in the fighting itself and not the improvement.

Next he said he'd spare them if they got him Luffy's head, this says two things. He either wants the Straw Hats to grow in strength so he can get some pleasure killing them later, or he just doesn't think it's worth it to kill them if they're so weak in the moment but doesn't care enough to hunt them down just to kill them later. It also shows he's willing to go against the government for his own interests if only to an extent as he still needs Luffy's head so that they will be satisfied. Perhaps he could get some sick enjoyment by tearing apart a crew of nakama too, so far I'm unsure.

Either way it lead to the great "FORGET IT!" moment which we all knew was going to come in some way or another. My favorite part of it was actually Franky's smirk when he heard Kuma's request. IMO the reason he joined was to a huge degree the fact that the Straw Hats would do anything for their nakama, anything, they'd fight the world government and if they were in Franky's place with Tom back in the day they would stop that train with their own hands. It's a value he admires about them and that's why I think he was so happy to be able to predict their responses and respond himself with a phat "FORGET IT!"

Apart from the pacing issues this episode had some very strong moments in it. By the way, seeing Sanji and Zoro on their knees getting beat by their enemy like weaklings is a sight I never thought we'd see.
May 2, 2020 5:25 PM
Jan 2019
SoraKing said:
Yeah, I agree that the whole episode was abit too slow, but I think that for the explosion, being in slow motion, gave it a sense of OMG, the end of the World, which I liked. Obviously, I would've prefered more battle, but I liked the ep anyway.

Next weeks episode looks too good to miss!!

A deadly bomb that didn't kill anyone. Hahaha
Jul 16, 2020 3:33 AM

May 2016
They underestimated Kuma because of his silly-sounding ability but quickly ate their words in the most terrifying way possible... They thought Moria was tougher but the guy just nonchalantly devastated the entirety of Thriller Bark with just one move, damn!

Nov 2, 2020 1:55 PM

May 2017
Crew is about to die , ready to fight , but Pokerface Robin head is full about cat paws 😺
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

May 25, 2021 2:52 AM

Jun 2019
Shinra Tensei... One piece version. LOL
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 982 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FMmatron - Jul 10, 2021

147 by Byakuya692 »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 969 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Usopp8000 - Apr 10, 2021

73 by Yubisoft »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 963 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Feb 20, 2021

75 by Yubisoft »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 417 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TrowaBarton141 - Sep 12, 2009

115 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 416 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Sep 5, 2009

87 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.