Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 8, 2012 1:46 AM

Feb 2010
Found subs for episodes 26, 29, 35, and 36 on YT, but the rest look to have been pulled. The uploader's comments seem to imply that the rest of the subs (translated by Ben Ettinger) are either lost or nonexistent.

I found some excellent webpages about the anime, which are no longer hosted but are fortunately archived. Armado Romero's page (http://www.oocities.org/tokyo/shrine/8732/htmen/index.html) contains episode guides + character bios, and Ben Ettinger's page (http://tky.hut.fi/~otakut/anime/momo.html" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20050323233233/http://tky.hut.fi/~otakut/anime/momo.html) gives some excellent commentary and insight about the show.

Anyone know where to find the rest?
hellogoodbyeOct 8, 2012 2:10 AM
Oct 8, 2012 4:56 AM
Sep 2011
I was able to find an active torrent of episodes 1-8 of the original series on that Nyaa site, but other than that, the random episodes you mentioned and the second series, no luck.
Oct 8, 2012 1:01 PM

Feb 2010
Sweet, thanks! Not sure how I missed those. Looks like 33 (1982) and 53 (1992) are on there too. As well as the Minky Momo vs Creamy Mami Special and The Bridge Over Dreams OVA, both of which are very good.

EDIT: Discovered a group named Stardust Fansubs that is considering subbing the rest. Let's hope!
hellogoodbyeOct 8, 2012 1:20 PM
Aug 15, 2013 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
Still no progress on any Momo subs. No fun.
Mar 30, 2014 5:28 PM

Sep 2013
I'm looking for this also.
I used to watch this english dubbed VHS copy of the OVA when I was like six at my grandmas house. I asked her about, but she said she gave away all her VHS tapes to goodwill. Now I can't find a physical copy of any of the series any where.
Dec 13, 2014 12:58 AM

Oct 2013
I'm also searching for the subs too. But so far I got the first episode English subbed in YouTube. For now I'm only up to episode 3 but episode 2 and 3 in YouTube is there too but is not dubbed nor subbed.
Dec 13, 2014 10:14 PM
Sep 2011
It's been years and no such luck. Episode 8 seems to be the latest consecutive episode that's subbed.
Nov 27, 2018 9:41 PM

Nov 2011
Hopefully they put up the compilations again, they seem to have been removed...

I wonder if anyone ripped them and if they had captions... Because that would be useful for a fansub release.
Jun 4, 2019 6:45 AM

Apr 2013
Klonoa7H said:

I wonder if anyone ripped them and if they had captions... Because that would be useful for a fansub release.

From what I've heard, they never seemed to work correctly in the first place. A lot of people told me they had an issue getting it working when 2016 rolled by. Although, there are some reviews for them that clearly imply they, at the least, did work. Also, the Amazon Video releases were only in the English dub that Harmony Gold broadcast in Melbourne, Australia back in 1986-1988; they didn't have the Japanese audio, as far as I'm aware, so they probably wouldn't have the Japanese captions. Although you could argue that the English script is worth looking at, too.

But anyhow, it seems like Harmony Gold's contract with Amazon Prime Video has lapsed, and, not seeing much financial benefit from keeping Minky Momo on prime, have taken it off. Not that it bothers me all that much since I was never able to buy it anyway, being an Australian resident with an American credit card. I still can't believe they still had the license for this show after 30 years... maybe they bought back the rights?

But even obtaining the RAWs for Minky Momo is...problematic, to say the least. Well, not so much if you're a Japanese citizen with some pocket change, but for someone who doesn't live in Japan...yeah.

Now that Nyaa.se has been taken down (as well as most of the forks), the full torrents that existed for the show have also disappeared. I didn't look much into that side of things because I'm not into torrenting, but it seems like it's a no-go on the torrenting side.

In honour of the 30th anniversary of Minky Momo, Production Reed reprinted both series again in 2012. Of course, by this point, the only way to obtain an official DVD/Blu-Ray copy of Minky Momo is from third-party sellers. It would cost you around $1200USD to obtain both series in DVD format, and double that if you wanted it in blu-ray format. Both series are split into three boxsets; each one ranges from $100-$250 USD from third-party sellers. If you don't want to spend $5000 on the Minky Momo series buying it from amazon.com, then you're going to want to buy it from amazon.co.jp or someone else. And of course, international orders are naturally not a thing right now, so you're going to need to get it shipped by proxy service. Get out your wallet.

Or, if you live in Japan (and have a Japanese credit card), you could just buy prime and watch both series for extremely cheap (relatively speaking):

The First Series
The Second Series

Sounds like a pretty good deal for 432 yen a month. Good luck bypassing all the restrictions, though. Turns out that Minky Momo is part of the "Dアニメストア", which seems to be some other big company with a bunch of anime titles added to prime; seems to be a separate membership. Anyway, getting a free Prime trial is easy enough; if you already have a .co.jp account, it's as simple as asking for a free trial. Then you can watch some shows already, although other titles say "This title isn't available in your location." Oh well, bound to run into that sooner or later.

But to watch Minky Momo (either of the two series), you need a membership with Dアニメストア. And they need your billing address! And apparently a Japanese credit card, but I don't know about that one, since I was able to get past it despite not being in Japan or having a Japanese credit card.

The billing address problem is easy enough (just pick an address in Japan), though I don't know whether they'll reject you when they ask for actual payment a month later. Now you have to deal with "This title isn't available in your location." Obviously, the first solution I thought of to solve this problem was a VPN. I haven't gotten that far yet, but it seems to work for other people with Prime itself, so I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

And to answer your question about whether anybody has the Minky Momo episodes in full Japanese with captions, there is a sub group currently working on the first series (though at a slow pace); user pinkpuff is the translator. So there is hope for this series to finally be fansubbed in its entirety, 37 years later. The 1991 series...well, we'll see.
FallJun 4, 2019 6:53 AM
Jun 4, 2019 6:54 AM

Jun 2014
Fall said:
Klonoa7H said:

From what I've heard, they never seemed to work correctly in the first place. Everyone I've talked to had an issue with them. Also, the Amazon Video releases were only in the English dub that Harmony Gold broadcast in Melbourne, Australia back in 1986-1988; they didn't have the Japanese audio, as far as I'm aware, so they probably wouldn't have the Japanese captions. Although you could argue that the English script is worth looking at, too.

But even obtaining the RAWs for Minky Momo is difficult, to say the least. Well, not so much if you're a Japanese citizen with some pocket change, but for someone who doesn't live in Japan...yeah.

Now that Nyaa.se has been taken down (as well as most of the forks), the full torrents that existed for the show have also disappeared. I didn't look much into that side of things because I'm not into torrenting, but it seems like it's a no-go on the torrenting side.

In honour of the 30th anniversary of Minky Momo, Production Reed reprinted both series again in 2012. Of course, by this point, the only way to obtain an official DVD/Blu-Ray copy of Minky Momo is from third-party sellers. It would cost you around $1200USD to obtain both series in DVD format, and double that if you wanted it in blu-ray format. Both series are split into three boxsets; each one ranges from $100-$250 USD from third-party sellers. If you don't want to spend $5000 on the Minky Momo series buying it from amazon.com, then you're going to want to buy it from amazon.co.jp or someone else. And of course, international orders are naturally not a thing right now, so you're going to need to get it shipped by proxy service. Get out your wallet.

Or, if you live in Japan (and have a Japanese credit card), you could just buy prime and watch both series for extremely cheap (relatively speaking):

The First Series
The Second Series

Sounds like a pretty good deal for 432 yen a month. Good luck bypassing all the restrictions, though. Turns out that Minky Momo is part of the "Dアニメストア", which seems to be some other big company with a bunch of anime titles added to prime; seems to be a separate membership. Anyway, getting a free Prime trial is easy enough; if you already have a .co.jp account, it's as simple as asking for a free trial. Then you can watch some shows already, although other titles say "This title isn't available in your location." Oh well, bound to run into that sooner or later.

But to watch Minky Momo (either of the two series), you need a membership with Dアニメストア. And they need your billing address! And apparently a Japanese credit card, but I don't know about that one, since I was able to get past it despite not being in Japan or having a Japanese credit card.

The billing address problem is easy enough (just pick an address in Japan), though I don't know whether they'll reject you when they ask for actual payment a month later. Now you have to deal with "This title isn't available in your location." Obviously, the first solution I thought of to solve this problem was a VPN. I haven't gotten that far yet, but it seems to work for other people with Prime itself, so I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

And to answer your question about whether anybody has the Minky Momo episodes in full Japanese with captions, there is a sub group currently working on the first series (though at a slow pace); user pinkpuff is the translator. So there is hope for this series to finally be fansubbed in its entirety, 37 years later. The 1991 series...well, we'll see.

If you're looking for it, all 63 episodes of Minky Momo are available RAW on Nyaa.si right now. It's ripped from the Blu-ray, and is 162.6 GB in size.

Jun 4, 2019 7:11 AM

Apr 2013
Seiya said:
Fall said:
(too many words.)

If you're looking for it, all 63 episodes of Minky Momo are available RAW on Nyaa.si right now. It's ripped from the Blu-ray, and is 162.6 GB in size.

That's pretty cool, but I've never torrented anything before. Whenever I try to visit a nyaa.si listing for Minky Momo through google search, it gives me a 404. Is there something else I should be doing?

Edit: Right, I need a torrent client. That makes sense.
FallJun 4, 2019 7:24 AM
Jun 4, 2019 7:52 AM

Apr 2013
Seiya said:

Okay, I investigated. Torrents and Nyaa. Nyaa.si is not a site I can visit in Australia because the federal court banned it.

Oh well, back to Amazon Prime Video, I guess.
Jun 4, 2019 7:54 AM

Jun 2014
Fall said:
Seiya said:

Okay, I investigated. Torrents and Nyaa. Nyaa.si is not a site I can visit in Australia because the federal court banned it.

Oh well, back to Amazon Prime Video, I guess.

You can use a VPN or proxy server to bypass the court ban.

Jun 4, 2019 7:45 PM

Apr 2013
Can confirm: Amazon Prime Video in Japan is a valid way of seeing the entire Minky Momo series in Japanese.

You just need an amazon.co.jp account, a VPN, and some patience.
Jun 27, 2019 1:27 PM

Nov 2012
Jun 27, 2019 2:33 PM
Aug 2011
Thank you SenritsuSubs. Ever since I saw the Bridge Over Dreams OVA ~3 yrs ago i've been interested in the main series.
Aug 10, 2019 9:52 AM

Sep 2013
The new subs are really good. Nice quality. Episode 2 just got released. Now I'm worried about the dub though. It's no longer available on Amazon and I don't know if anyone ripped it. The dub has been lost media for a long time, and it's looking like its going to slip back into that state again.
Sep 13, 2021 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
SenritsuSubs abandon the project for two years now, the new subs are now coming out by Inka-subs.

Episode 6 only being released today.
https://twitter.com/InkaSubs/status/1437531846674456579
Jan 23, 2022 1:27 PM

Feb 2016
Is this show cursed or something? 40 years later and barely any subs, yet we get all those Pierrot and Gallop magical girls I've seen nobody ask for.
その目だれの目?
Apr 12, 2022 7:07 PM

Jul 2007
Inca subs seem to be working on it more consistently with an episode being released every month or so, this is GOOD NEWS so one can hope we can finally get the full series now in the near future.

Episodes 1-11 are available.

May 3, 2022 6:40 AM

Feb 2021
to add on to this, a streaming service called darkroom.film. they're digitizing and remastering the whole series. the subs aren't amazing but they're still watchable. there are 9 episodes out so far and they're working on more. there are also barely any ads
my candies:
Aug 23, 2022 12:00 AM

Oct 2016
Who knows, maybe with the release of the Sailor Moon pilot, we can find this as well.
Aug 23, 2022 7:53 PM

Oct 2016
Here's what I have scoured from the internet thus far. I'll update this post as I find information.

Season One

Season 1 Japanese audio (some episodes have subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFskAgkL7s&list=PLCQ3p-bhbhLLM-I-F5rf9bdwzfiao5_l9

Composite episode of the first 4 dubbed episodes of Magical World of Gigi: https://kissanime.com.ru/Anime/Magical-Princess-Minky-Momo-Dub/Episode-001-004?id=164895

Dubbed episode 41: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKy8CIJkM4s&list=PLxrA1j5teL2FGZus0fnUC3ZwFtdqDPtg5&index=4

Dubbed episode 42: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhlrIvBioA&list=PLxrA1j5teL2FGZus0fnUC3ZwFtdqDPtg5&index=3

Dubbed episode 43 (Missing an unknown number of minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyiVhQWC6Mc&list=PLxrA1j5teL2FGZus0fnUC3ZwFtdqDPtg5&index=2

Dubbed episode 44 (Missing an unknown number of minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhO6sFAe4p8&list=PLxrA1j5teL2FGZus0fnUC3ZwFtdqDPtg5&index=1

Season 2

Season 2 Japanese audio (No episodes are subtitled that I've found): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbbSrAPT-d4&list=PLCQ3p-bhbhLI_49ZCUu-GVwTU3XXAw2uM

Films/OVAs

Magical Princess Gigi and the Fountain of Youth (dub): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0G-gskq980

Jan 16, 2023 7:10 PM

Jan 2017
Just learn Japanese.
Jan 16, 2023 10:00 PM

Oct 2016
The whole point is to find a lost piece of history. While I would like to learn at some point, that is not the point of this thread or discussion.
Jan 17, 2023 4:36 AM

Jan 2017
N3rdieBirdie said:
The whole point is to find a lost piece of history.
It's not lost, you can find it easily on nyaa.si. As for the dub, why would someone want to suffer through that?
Jan 23, 2023 5:12 PM

Oct 2016
Muzussawa said:
N3rdieBirdie said:
The whole point is to find a lost piece of history.
It's not lost, you can find it easily on nyaa.si. As for the dub, why would someone want to suffer through that?
I already explained. It is a lost piece of media. Much like the lost pilot for Saban Moon, even though we know it is not great, it's good to have archivals. As for the copy on nyaa.si, as far as I understand there is no full subtitle on there. It's the Japanese audio only, which I addressed already. So again, your point does not stand.

There is no need to be rude. We can disagree, but rudeness is not welcome.
Feb 7, 2023 5:15 AM

Jan 2017
N3rdieBirdie said:
Muzussawa said:
As for the copy on nyaa.si, as far as I understand there is no full subtitle on there. It's the Japanese audio only, which I addressed already. So again, your point does not stand.
It's an anime made in Japanese, what did you expect? It seems like you follow the "If it's not available in a language I understand, it's lost" principle.

N3rdieBirdie said:
I already explained. It is a lost piece of media. Much like the lost pilot for Saban Moon, even though we know it is not great, it's good to have archivals.
It can be seen from your messages that you just care about archiving instead of actually caring about watching the show. Just archiving a bad version for the sake of archiving it and not because you actually think it's a worthwhile endeavor.
You should make a thread for the English version instead of labelling the series lost on this one just because it's not readily available with English subs.
Feb 7, 2023 6:39 PM

Oct 2016
I feel the same way about the lost subtitled version of Princess Knight (which is finally getting its subtitle back). I don't understand why you are so bent out of shape that someone wants to find a lost dub. It is an asinine thing to get this upset about.  I ask that you stop being so condescending and rude. I hope you have a good day.
Mar 20, 2023 12:51 AM

Jan 2013
Following this. fingers crossed the subs or dubs can be found soon!
'Dreams Start by Believing' ~ Haruhi Suzumiya

Jun 24, 2023 7:18 PM

Feb 2016
I just learned the studio that made Minky Momo also made a couple of other magical girls I've never heard of. Neither Sweet Mint nor Mary Bell is anywhere near as popular as Minky Momo, yet I have no trouble finding subs for Mary Bell. Why?
その目だれの目?
Sep 17, 2023 5:44 PM

Oct 2016
Reply to Lucifrost
I just learned the studio that made Minky Momo also made a couple of other magical girls I've never heard of. Neither Sweet Mint nor Mary Bell is anywhere near as popular as Minky Momo, yet I have no trouble finding subs for Mary Bell. Why?
@Lucifrost I really wish I could tell you. I'm still on the hunt myself.
Jan 10, 5:29 PM
Sep 2008
Crunchyroll has put up the 1st 15 episodes in Japanese with English, Deutsch, Español (América Latina), Español (España), Français, Português (Brasil), Русский subtitles. Hopefully we will get more episodes later. Publisher is listed as Gonzo.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GMEHME7NJ/fairy-princess-minky-momo
Jan 18, 10:04 AM

Oct 2016
Reply to soatome
Crunchyroll has put up the 1st 15 episodes in Japanese with English, Deutsch, Español (América Latina), Español (España), Français, Português (Brasil), Русский subtitles. Hopefully we will get more episodes later. Publisher is listed as Gonzo.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GMEHME7NJ/fairy-princess-minky-momo
@soatome I just found out about this, this is wild! Maybe the dub will resurface too.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo Episode 10 Discussion

Kennit - Apr 21

0 by Kennit »»
Apr 21, 7:09 PM

» The first 15 episodes are on Crunchyroll!

N3rdieBirdie - Jan 18

5 by DanaRena »»
Mar 22, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo Episode 17 Discussion

Berry-Vodka - Oct 29, 2020

0 by Berry-Vodka »»
Oct 29, 2020 1:55 AM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo Episode 18 Discussion

Berry-Vodka - Oct 26, 2020

0 by Berry-Vodka »»
Oct 26, 2020 1:42 AM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo Episode 19 Discussion

Berry-Vodka - Oct 23, 2020

0 by Berry-Vodka »»
Oct 23, 2020 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.