Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 13 14 [15]
Jan 10, 2017 3:58 PM

Jul 2014
Huh, this show may actually be getting worse.
Mar 18, 2017 8:35 AM

Jan 2017
Yui is very cute and friendly fairy. She called Kirito's Father and Asuna's Mother lmao. - XD

This is really great episodes.

11/10 scores
Mar 31, 2017 8:41 PM

Nov 2011
Achei uma fofura socorro *-*
o(≧o≦)o Kimi o miteru to itsu mo HAATO DOKI DOKI
。。 Yureru omoi wa MASHUMARO mitai ni fuwa fuwa (✪㉨✪)
リラックマ☆コリラックマ
Mar 31, 2017 9:24 PM

Nov 2011
Mas de onde surgiu esta criança? Oo
o(≧o≦)o Kimi o miteru to itsu mo HAATO DOKI DOKI
。。 Yureru omoi wa MASHUMARO mitai ni fuwa fuwa (✪㉨✪)
リラックマ☆コリラックマ
Apr 6, 2017 7:57 AM

May 2016
"Even if this is just a virtual world,
my feelings are real"

Well said Asuna!!!. My feelings for anime is real too <3

Omg what!!!??? It's only 11 episodes and they already have a daughter?? It's very cute too <3 xD
May 13, 2017 1:22 PM

Nov 2016
Seeing both living together felt a little bit awkward, dunno why I can't stand it this show, but Yui is a cutie.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 23, 2017 11:26 AM

May 2009
The first half of the episode is almost acceptable. I mean, the moments between Kirito and Asuna are super cliched but they are also among the thousand easy romantic bits you can only include in a story that includes actual post-confession romance. Seriously, even if you just stick to cliches, there’s more than enough material to fill up a dopey twelve episode season. It is endlessly frustrating to me that anime romance clings so defiantly to its state of arrested development.

I’m not gonna sit here and wonder why this is the case, though. It makes perfect, cynical sense – and it’s not because these writers aren’t smart enough to think of ways to create drama for an established couple. Frankly, most harems and romcoms aren’t well-written enough to think of meaningful obstacles for a non-established couple, so I doubt an inability to write worth a damn would stop them from trying the other situation.

It’s just that the non-established fantasy is the profitable one. The one that plays off audience nostalgia, the one that lonely fans can relate to, the one that maintains a “pure” love interest, and the one that allows for multiple romantic interests to always be “in the running,” allowing the audience to pick and choose their favorites or even create their own pairings of characters. To me, the most frustrating thing about all this is that from an economic and audience perspective, it makes total sense. They’re not “wrong” to write stories like this – yeah, it results in terrible, repetitive stories that never explore nine tenths of what make relationships compelling and endearing, but they’re not doing this because they’re stupid. They’re just playing to the crowd.

And yeah, it is easy to write the “will they or won’t they” nonsense, and yeah, the amount of existing precedent for that basically means you just have to reshuffle Love Hina episodes every so often to come up with a new Nisekoi. Basically every cynical way you could frame this seems perfectly reasonable to me.

So yeah, thanks, Sword Art Online. Honestly. Hopefully you being such a ridiculous mega-success will maybe give other writers the courage to actually respect their audience a little.

Which brings us to the second part of the episode, and it's just a nosedive in writing quality. The writers introduced a new harem member who is not a love interest, but still fulfills an important role: the daughteru. Yui is basically the cute loli with secret reality-bending powers that acts like a daughter surrogate for the couple, because having Kirito and Asuna just hang out and go on dates together is clearly not moe enough we skip straight to the moe-daughter stage of an established relationship. The way she's introduced is just terrible, Kirito and Asuna just pick her up like a stray puppy and Yui immediately calls them papa and mama. The story really wants us to care about this new character, which is also why the writers fried Yui's brain. She's like a Skinner box, but for a tv audience: the writers reinforce positive emotions in the viewers by showing a cute and adorable anime baby that you just want to protect, and then you slap her only a few moments later and everybody cries for her.

Another terrible moment in the episode was the final part. Remember when we were hunting player killers just a few episodes ago? Now we basically act like them, but it's ok because this time we are going against EEEEEVIL people, so everything is allowed. Of course, it's not like we can't do anything to them (just like how they can't do anything to the people they were harassing, so their threats amounted to absolutely nothing. Whoops, plot hole!) so instead of taking damage, they are treated to a mild knockback when hit by another player in a safe zone. This is about the same kind of effect as when you're in a fighting game and you're forced to crouch in the corner like a little bitch because you can't counterattack or reposition without getting hit. It's more frustrating than terrifying, honestly, and hardly a reason for the goons to run and cry out in fear like they did. In fact, what makes the goons' presence any bit threatening in the first place if they actually cannot physically hurt people? What's the point of showing up fully armored in front of orphanages if you can't even inflict pain?

Still, not that they care about consistency, this anime is clearly successful so why do they need to put up an effort to tell a believable story? They can just write what they want and people will lap it up and defend it.
Arashi89Jul 23, 2017 11:43 AM
Nov 11, 2017 7:03 PM

Nov 2017
Slice of nothing happens and... hey, a lost child. Let's adopt honey? Ofc, and also a must-have trope of 'evil soldiers acting evil for the evulz' with bonus mischievous laugh. A cliffhanger at the end, I have a bad feeling about this. It looks like I'll have to face a shitty mystery soon. 3/5
Jan 7, 2018 5:37 AM
Jun 2015
Yui is so cute! I'm loving how Kirito and Asuna are actually like a couple.
May 13, 2018 5:46 AM

Mar 2018
How can they become so attached to the brat in a few hours??
May 21, 2018 12:04 PM

May 2018
This episode was fucking boring & full of cliché. For now, I really don't understand the success of this anime.
Aug 24, 2018 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
While it was ok episode but this something has been bugging me that I don't understand how these small kids and grannies ended up in this virtual world??!! did they also attempt like Kirito to PLAY mmorpg or SAO for fun??
May 26, 2019 3:00 PM

Aug 2017
Oh, it seems that the anime omitted some important scenes from the LN but nevermind.

Yui is so cuteee.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 14, 2020 2:41 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Interesting mystery following this Yui girl. Kirito better start paying the child support he never asked for, poor dude.
Aug 17, 2020 7:40 PM

Jun 2020
ASUNA♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

she was so great but can they like stop playing house for like one moment lmao i didn't watch SAO for it be a SOL i'm not complaining they are so cute together but one moment they are at the front lines and now they are playing house lol i can't even

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 29, 2020 11:30 AM

Dec 2018

They obviously had sex after the tsundere punch and before the proposal, indicated by Asuna being naked under the sheets. The above chapters' canonicity is up to the viewer because of the over-exaggerated/unrealistic explanation of the deed. In my opinion, it is canon, the whole show has very much an artificial feel to the characters so why not the sex be artificial as well. Also, why miss the two years worth of glopping noise.

Last episode: Kirito loses duel and forced to join The Knights of Blood for guild reasons
This episode: Kirito and Asuna go on vacation and the guild has no issues........

Wow, their relationship is so deep that human intelligence cannot quantify it, it's so deep the newlywed wife doesn't know the husbands' age.
I lmao so much when Asuna went "Wait, could I be a Pedophile? Oh who cares"

If the romance was done right at this point Asuna shouldn't get shy every time Kirito looks at her, they had sex for god sake.

And now they are parents. It is very wrong to let a child with memory issues to call you mom and dad because if they find the actual parents theirs going to be a severe mental problem. But that doesn't apply to the show because the writer already knows the future of Yui, so he completely skips that bag of worms.

I think the answer to Asuna's previous question, could she be a Pedophile, is yes.
She was getting awfully close to Yui, a child they found not longer than a day.

My god, Asuna actually beat someone on her own, blasphemy.

Bold of the creators to assume that I would care about some glitchy child that the main characters literally stumbled upon in a forest. Can we please go back to escaping SAO. This can't happen because the premise of the whole show of escaping SAO is not reinforced through the characters because they have nothing in the real world they want to get back to.
Feb 25, 2021 8:36 PM

Jun 2020
lmao kirito carry asuna which is kinda cute
ooo yui calling kirito and asuna papa and mama ahhh such a cute yui
Asuna really loves children :)))

Mar 13, 2021 11:53 AM

Nov 2019
Cute episode, but felt more like Love Art Online to me.
Mar 19, 2021 6:39 PM
Mar 2021
Pretty light-hearted episode. Not too sure what happened to Yui at the end, but I guess we will find out next episode.
Apr 11, 2021 2:40 PM
Dec 2020
There's too much cute in this series.. I WANT MORE ACTION!
The cuteness is good and all but i really hope theres gonna be more amazing action like last time with kirito and his dual swords.
and Yui is quite a strange character.
Nov 16, 2021 6:35 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah, a lovey-dovey episode for the new bride. Even they already owned a cute daughter which they found inside the forest. What a sweet episode in the middle of uncertainty. At least they could feel a little happiness as a little family, before getting back onto the mystery of the world, or shall i say, the game. Whatever that was, lets continue this weird ride.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 6, 2021 2:41 PM

Jul 2017
I'm probably gonna drop the rewatch after this arc, after Progressive I couldn't be bothered much with the curiosity of how I would feel for the first 2 seasons when Aincrad's itself been pretty terrible and didn't care much for this Yui introduction and rushed lovefest between newlyweds either. Would have worked if the arc was much longer and everything was much better in its buildup and pace.
Jan 23, 2022 1:42 AM

Aug 2018
Yui is super cute <3

Aug 13, 2022 5:54 PM

Jun 2016
And here I thought the last ep developed the romance quickly through an impromptu marriage, this episode thrusted it further by adding a kid to the mix. Clearly, tho, Yui is special. Not a player, not an NPC.

Who has the older brain age: Yui or Asuna? I wouldn't mind anyway, so long as I get crushed by those thighs... I mean, look at those fishing guys... Safe!

Aug 19, 2022 12:00 PM

May 2022
can't believe that there are some haters in this thread trying to put down a really cute and wholesome episode, showing Kirito and Asuna's bond growing even stronger while meeting sweet Yui, an essential character for SAO. it was cool to see Asuna protect the children from the army too. cliffhangers always keep me on the edge of my seat as well, this is a great and wholesome episode, no matter what haters say. 5/5.
Sep 4, 2022 10:34 PM
Sep 2022
Good that we got to go back to the town of begginings. What is going on with Yui though??
Sep 11, 2022 5:27 PM
Jun 2021
really really good stuf
Oct 4, 2022 1:05 PM
Jul 2020
KKKKKKKKKKKK cade o desenvolvimento (quase ofensivo)
Oct 21, 2022 2:57 PM

Mar 2019
That scene at the end really scared me, is it a glitch? Can they escape that world? This is interesting.

Other than that, pretty weird episode, I just can't get over this marriage story, it feels too random.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jan 26, 2023 8:22 PM
Jan 2023
It was like an entire couple matured into parents in a matter of 2 days and it's very strange....
Jul 14, 2023 5:11 AM

Aug 2019
back in the mystery detective case arc asuna didnt care at all when they mentioned a ghost and here she is terrified.
also asuna sees something she believes to be a ghost and proceeds to cover her ears :D?

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2023 8:59 AM

Jan 2022
So now the middle schoolers have a child that just appeared in their lives? Then Kirito refers to Asuna as mom. Bruh what is this shit?
This never updates so that's cool
Nov 28, 2023 11:39 PM

Dec 2019
This episode proves Rothbard was right at the beginning of Anatomy of the State.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Dec 16, 2023 8:10 AM

Nov 2023
The new characters feels like as if they had a child lol
Jan 23, 10:54 PM
Jan 2024
worst anime I have watch . Disgusting episode fuck that anime
Feb 16, 4:55 AM
Nov 2021
idk what happened actually, kinda weird but i like it
Pages (15) « First ... « 13 14 [15]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
7 minutes ago

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

62 by RandomAnon2 »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
42 minutes ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.