Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 20, 2008 11:30 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
-------------------------------------

SAW SUBS

*Mod edit*

aeroNov 17, 2008 3:34 PM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 20, 2008 10:53 PM

Feb 2008
dam yuko gets bullied n himura comes to rescue
chihiro is back :]]]]]
mizuki is whining about how kuze is going to die

that was lil bit sad when kuze burned violin n mizuki saves it
Oct 21, 2008 1:27 AM

Dec 2007
chihiro-chan <3
Oct 21, 2008 2:11 AM

Jul 2008
king4k2 said:
dam yuko gets bullied n himura comes to rescue
chihiro is back :]]]]]
mizuki is whining about how kuze is going to die

that was lil bit sad when kuze burned violin n mizuki saves it

SCREW THE VIOLIN! WHAT ABOUT POOR MIZUKI'S HANDS?????? I though about it...........................minimum 1st or 2nd degree burns........POINT BEING SCARS FOREVER!
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 21, 2008 7:32 AM
Oct 2008
Nevermind Muzuki...

Its Chihiro! I want to see this episode just because of her.
Oct 22, 2008 12:15 PM

Apr 2008
Wow, great episode.

We learn more about why Kuze distances himself, and more on Yuko.

Great speech by mizuki btw. "You can't. You're still alive, right?"

You can still accomplish things as long as you have your life. Hmm....
Oct 23, 2008 12:31 AM
Mar 2008
Kinda went wtf at the way Mizuki saving the violin was presented, but good episode. Happy that Chihiro showed up, Mizuki nose bleed would have been cool. Too bad for her hands.
Oct 23, 2008 3:09 AM

Mar 2008
I can't really tell if I'm overrating this anime or do I really love this anime...

But the way Mizuki tried to save Kuze's violin really touched me
Oct 23, 2008 3:51 AM
Oct 2008
There was a vast improvement in this episode, but I think that is quite typical of an Ef series. The original memories didn't get particularly compellng till Ep 3 when you found out about Chihiro's condition either.

The scene with Mizuki saving the violen was excellent, and it looks like Yuuko's stoy will be getting quite emotionally tragic.
Oct 23, 2008 5:16 AM

Apr 2008
I really liked the violin scene, and the melody was beautiful...

Oct 23, 2008 5:30 AM

May 2008
Chihiro has returned. It is a good day

Oct 23, 2008 6:11 AM

Apr 2007
Chihiro, Chihiro, Chihiro~! <3333

Oh, I simply loved seeing Chihiro again. I also loved what she said about some people trying to pretend they're normal - and holding Renji's hand in the process. But then again, normal is only what others expect of you.

I thought it was very beautiful of Mizuki to do what she did to save Kuze's violin. Putting an end to his violin... If music was his life, isn't that the same as putting an end to his own life? Is having relationships with others so painful, or is he afraid of leaving people behind? Is he too much of a good person, or is he simply selfish? This is clearly something we've already seen a million times before, but somehow, ef is special in its own way to me. It may be the wonderful visuals, or how their emotions are portrayed in such a particular way. I wonder if Mizuki can be to Kuze what Renji is to Chihiro.

Although I'm not so interested in Yuuko's story, this episode had some development. Bullying is a serious situation, and even if Yuuko's somewhat... eerie, for lack of a better word, I think she's keeping their identities of the evil-doers in secret because she's trying to protect someone. Here hoping not for the worst case scenario, where it could be Nagi. Speaking of Nagi, everytime she comes on screen she gives us an amusing event, haha. I really want to know more about her.

And oh, we got a colored OP this week. Not sure if it fits so much as I thought the more monochrome-ish version did. Uuuugh, I want the single to the song right nooooow ;_;
Oct 23, 2008 9:01 AM

Mar 2008
ahhhh another pretty gd ep. the ending made me cry a little.
oo so i see now the focus is on death, fear, bullying and bad memories from the past!
hehehehe~~~ i think itll all end ok tho
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2008 9:07 AM

Jul 2008
Very good ep. It's so sad watching Yuuko being bullied ç_ç
I can't believe that Kuze has such a disease, I hope the story will not be too much sad.
Oct 23, 2008 11:33 AM

Oct 2007
I love how they chose the direction to develop both story. The story of Yuu & Yuuko is developing from the past to the present which is opposite from Mizuki & Kuze that is developing from the present to the past.

I don't know if anyone here noticed this but it would be good if someone wrote all the one-number-one-word that they showed every couple minutes in every episode. It would be nice to know all the words and sum it together.

Next episode should be focus more on Yuu & Yuuko's story can't wait to learn more about it.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 23, 2008 12:11 PM

Jul 2008
I also have a bad feeling about the one who bullied yuuko is Nagi><. Hope it wont happen though.

Oct 23, 2008 12:41 PM
Dec 2007
Kiseki said:
I also have a bad feeling about the one who bullied yuuko is Nagi><. Hope it wont happen though.

Most probably.

Hmmm I think that just like in the first season where I liked half of the story (Hiro and Miyako) and disliked the other half (Chihiro and Renji), this time I won't like the Mizuki & Kuze part (oh, he's gonna die soon, cry me a river...) and I'm already very interested by the other half with Yuuko and Yu (and Nagi but well, she's the Kei of melodies, so...). By the way, I strongly wished that I'd never see Chihiro again but I guess my expectations were too high, she's always been a very annoying character to me since the beginning of the first season and I just can't sympathize with her.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 23, 2008 1:40 PM

Apr 2007
angel999 said:

I loved that too!

overall, great episode. ef is such a good series..
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Oct 23, 2008 2:27 PM

Oct 2007
AngelLily said:

I thought it was very beautiful of Mizuki to do what she did to save Kuze's violin. Putting an end to his violin... If music was his life, isn't that the same as putting an end to his own life? Is having relationships with others so painful, or is he afraid of leaving people behind? Is he too much of a good person, or is he simply selfish?

Quite a touching scene. It makes me wonder though if this season will be as amazing as the first. Ef- a tale of memories just had me completely blown away. Now I'm wondering if I have too high expectations for melodies, but I guess we will soon see. Between the opening for memories and melodies, I think I still like memories more.
Oct 23, 2008 3:27 PM

Nov 2007
Glad to see Chihiro's back, and the violin scene was epic. I'm starting to enjoy Mizuki's story a lot more now.

5/5
Oct 23, 2008 4:24 PM

Mar 2008
I hope the people who are bullying Yuuko die >:(
Oct 23, 2008 7:11 PM

Oct 2007
I got teary eyed at the end, darn you ED for ruining the mood. Exellent episode 9/10 for this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2008 11:37 PM

Mar 2008
jesus angel, lay off the caps.

anyways, good episode. ending scene was spectacular.
Oct 23, 2008 11:37 PM

Jul 2008
Metroid_Ex said:
I got teary eyed at the end, darn you ED for ruining the mood. Exellent episode 9/10 for this one.

YEAH? How about how I felt when Yuuko admited ALL HUMANS ARE DIRTY! I'll be honest I FELT LIKE NOT BEING HUMAN..........FELT LIKE MUTATING! Cause I know better! I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT. YEAH ED IS WACK IN THIS EPISODE!
Oct 24, 2008 12:18 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
AngelLily said:
Oh, I simply loved seeing Chihiro again. I also loved what she said about some people trying to pretend they're normal - and holding Renji's hand in the process. But then again, normal is only what others expect of you.
I really liked that scene. It went to show how strong and connected Chihiro and Renji are now, too. Warm fuzzies, yay.

AngelLily said:
Although I'm not so interested in Yuuko's story, this episode had some development. Bullying is a serious situation, and even if Yuuko's somewhat... eerie, for lack of a better word, I think she's keeping their identities of the evil-doers in secret because she's trying to protect someone. Here hoping not for the worst case scenario, where it could be Nagi. Speaking of Nagi, everytime she comes on screen she gives us an amusing event, haha. I really want to know more about her.
Personally, I actually find Yuuko and Yuu's story more interesting... maybe because they're characters I already know?

I really doubt that it could be Nagi... just because if Yuuko is eerie, so is Nagi. Nagi doesn't seem to care enough about anyone else to bully them, and considering her words about being bullied, I would hope she wouldn't go and do that to someone else. I don't know if Yuuko is protecting some one, so much as who is doing the bullying isn't critical to the story; more just the fact that bullying is occurring. I'm wondering what the conversation behind the gym(?) was all about though...

And is it just me, or is there something creepy about that teacher?? :S

AegisReborn said:
AngelLily said:
[...]
Quite a touching scene. It makes me wonder though if this season will be as amazing as the first. Ef- a tale of memories just had me completely blown away. Now I'm wondering if I have too high expectations for melodies, but I guess we will soon see. Between the opening for memories and melodies, I think I still like memories more.
Agreed. But, another thing to remember, is that memories was something completely new. Even if melodies is as outstanding as memories, memories will still feel slightly better just because of the novel feeling it had at the time... or so I think anyway ^^
Oct 24, 2008 12:37 AM

Feb 2008
I'm really not "feeling" this second season. Maybe because the characters seem so farfecthed to me, but i just can't relate to anything that's happening. Well i guess if your could, you lead a strange life anyway =/

I'll give it a couple more before passing it up.

2/5
Oct 24, 2008 5:13 AM

Apr 2007
angel999 said:
YEAH? How about how I felt when Yuuko admited ALL HUMANS ARE DIRTY!

She never said that. She said the girls were doing that because they were simply human - as in, they all have their problems, and they all will deal with it in their own way. She doesn't want to get in their way because one day, the problems go away.
Oct 24, 2008 7:47 AM
Jul 2008
Hands heal. Violins don't. She definitely made the right decision.

Also, scars can be kind of hot. And being bullied only makes one stronger.

^^
Oct 24, 2008 9:36 AM

Jul 2008
AngelLily said:
angel999 said:
YEAH? How about how I felt when Yuuko admited ALL HUMANS ARE DIRTY!

She never said that. She said the girls were doing that because they were simply human - as in, they all have their problems, and they all will deal with it in their own way. She doesn't want to get in their way because one day, the problems go away.

Sorry but at the end the way she phrased meant what I MEANT. Even if she does not SHOW SUCH, I know she thinks it. Why do you think SHE HATES YUU??? Yeah for many things that have nothing to do with what I said BUT don't you think the bullying might have reinforced such thoughts?
Oct 24, 2008 11:12 AM

Apr 2007
She doesn't hate Yuu - she admitted she's in love with him just in the last episode. She also doesn't hate the bulliers, she said she understands them and doesn't mind being bullied.

You can't inforce thoughts that the character hasn't showed, that's forced interpretation. It's only going to disappoint you later on, or you might end up with a completely distorted version of what the show meant to pass to the viewers. You can have your own thoughts of the whole deal, indeed, but I think you're just seeing what you want to see.

Although, in the end... it's up to you. *shrugs*
Oct 24, 2008 11:22 AM

Nov 2007
Yay for Chihiro and Renji.

AngelLily said:
She doesn't hate Yuu - she admitted she's in love with him just in the last episode. She also doesn't hate the bulliers, she said she understands them and doesn't mind being bullied.

I really agree with you.

Anyway, this episode ended really well. It's finally showing the beauty of storytelling that made Memories so awesome. I don't really expect it to be as good as memories, but I have high hopes for this.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Oct 24, 2008 12:55 PM

Sep 2007
Chihiro! I love Chihiro <3. This looks like it's gonna be a sad anime. Poor Kuze/Mizuki. :(

Oct 24, 2008 5:12 PM

Jul 2008
AngelLily said:

You can't inforce thoughts that the character hasn't showed, that's forced interpretation. It's only going to disappoint you later on, or you might end up with a completely distorted version of what the show meant to pass to the viewers. You can have your own thoughts of the whole deal, indeed, but I think you're just seeing what you want to see.

Although, in the end... it's up to you. *shrugs*

She says that. On the roof in episode 2! I am sure! Look. #2 she says. Sure she loves him but there is hate in her for him. Must cause he told her to back off. Still has some hate towards Yuu. I am sure.
Oct 24, 2008 6:49 PM

Nov 2007
Not sure what to make of this episode. I enjoyed it overall (yay Chihiro~ <3) but at the same time it was a little too dramatic on Mizuki's part. Maybe it's just me... XD I still love this series though and I doubt that little thing will ruin it. (Or at least I hope not.)

I'm a little sad about the OP though. ): I kind of liked it black and white...

EDIT: Oh yeah... Yuuko's so cute. XD
Oct 24, 2008 8:45 PM

Jan 2008
This episode was beautiful :)

It was touching to see Mizuki concerned about Kuze. It was shown through her searching for Kuze that she really does care for him. And the violin scene at the end was upsetting. It was wonderful to see that Mizuki's love for Kuze goes beyond physical appearance since she illustrated that she was willing to burn her hands to save his violin - and essentially his life. I mean afterall, wasn't Kuze's violin just as important to him as his life?

As for Yuu and Yuuko's story - it's progressing well and I'm intrigued. It's sad to see Yuuko being bullied and what's worse is that she doesn't show that she cares about it. I'm glad that Himura is being sympathetic and is worried about Yuuko :) I love how their story is being told from the past.

And what's this? Chihiro!
Upon arrival, she showered Mizuki with wisdom~ Haha, and almost gave her a nosebleed as well. Chihiro said some good things and I'm glad her character is back :)

Can't wait for the next episode ^_^

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Oct 25, 2008 6:26 AM
Apr 2008
All I gotta say is.

CHIHIROOOOO~<3333
Oct 25, 2008 11:34 PM
Sep 2008
Chihiro appeared = win! <3
And I liked the episode. As I thought, ef can still surprise, I am excited how the stories about the bullying thing and Kuze's illness will develop.

chireiyu said:
I'm a little sad about the OP though. ): I kind of liked it black and white...

I like the song, but not the German used in the opening animation, it feels VERY strange xD
Oct 26, 2008 10:20 PM

Jul 2008
I loved seeing Chihiro again. She was my favorite from memories. I don't really like Mizuki at all. She's so annoying. She barely knows Kuze, but yet she's going all around town looking for him. Does the thought of him just ignoring her enter her brain?

And I hope Yuuko and Yuu's story doesn't have much of Nagi in it. She reminds me of Kei and is just so annoying to have around. I hate each scene she's in. I love how their story is progressing though. It was sweet of Yuu to act the way he was. I loved the part where she reminded him of him saying not too close to him and he still walks her home.

Kuze and Mizuki's story is kind of cute. It was nice to see how much she cared about him in the end. It's very similar to Renji and Chihiro, but Kuze's story doesn't have as much death and the whole "I'm dying so I don't want ties to this world have been done to death". I'm hoping it gets better cause right now I'm thinking about just skipping over them.
Oct 27, 2008 3:00 PM

Feb 2008
Everthing I wanted to say has been mentioned already. So it saved me some work
*Im such a lucky bastard* ^^

I really enjoyed this one. 10/10
Oct 28, 2008 6:52 AM

Jan 2008
Great episode :D Don't die Kuze-san :'(
Oct 28, 2008 1:11 PM

Aug 2008
This is getting old. The parallels between Memories and Melodies is making Melodies feel really unoriginal and unconscionable.
Oct 29, 2008 9:59 AM

Dec 2007
So it seems that Kuze really is going to die, this is really going to hit home, one of my friends died a couple days ago and they way he dealt with his illness is kinda similar except he never gave up. It was good to see Chihiro in here, I was hoping that she would show up at some point, she's gotten a lot wiser since last season.

#NBHNC
Nov 2, 2008 1:13 AM

Aug 2008
I almost shed my tears again (after Clannad ~After Story 5) at the end...
Melodies so far so good!!
Happy to see Chihiro back into the scene~
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Nov 3, 2008 7:51 PM

Jan 2007
Another great episode. Each story is becoming more and more enjoyable. I really like the attitude Yuuko has when dealing with the bullying. It is really opening up development for Himuro.
Nov 4, 2008 4:05 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was a very nice episode. Chihiro looked so beatiful, especially when she stopped by Mizuki's place.

Loved the scene where Mizuki tried to put the fire out, that was nicely intense (also thanks to the music) and I really want to see more scenes like that.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 4, 2008 1:31 PM

Feb 2008
Very interesting episode. the best so far.
It's so good to see a healthy Chihiro. :3
Nov 5, 2008 5:43 PM

Jan 2008
Episode was very good. Makes us wonder, what has happened in Yuuko's past :/
Nov 5, 2008 7:11 PM

Jul 2008
aero said:
Episode was very good. Makes us wonder, what has happened in Yuuko's past :/

I wonder more if there was something that one can do to help one in the past. Yuu obviously knew that but yet failed to see it. Perhaps only at the last moment when he saw those scribbles on her notebook.

Bullying can always be prevented but in this case it is kind of late but let's see if it gets resolved...........I know Yuu will find something.
Nov 6, 2008 12:26 PM

Apr 2008
That was a very nice episode. Glad to see Chihiro there <3.

Nov 6, 2008 11:10 PM

Aug 2007
I found the Mizuki scene to be a bit over the top. I ended up chuckling, but let's chalk that one up to my insensitivity rather than poor presentation =P

Poor Yuuko, I mean it's not her fault that she is one of the prettier 2-D girls out there. Say what you want about male bullying, female bullying is much worse. The old adage of sticks and stones apply here, but I guess Yuuko has the mental fortitude to just shrug things off. Though one has to wonder whether her overall demeanor over her bullying is just a front or an overall understanding of the evilness of human nature.

Nice to see some of the old cast resurfacing rather than being left out in melodies. Chihiro is as cute as always! Hopefully we'll get to see Hiro, Miyako, Kei, and Kyousuke soon.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Nov 10, 2008

191 by lucio54 »»
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aidouca - Dec 22, 2008

257 by SenpaiMY92 »»
Dec 10, 2023 7:20 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.