Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most intelligent anime you've seen?

New
Pages (18) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Dec 31, 2012 10:27 PM

Oct 2012
renders said:

it doesn't matter if I tell you or not since you already said you didn't enjoyed it.that's like somebody trying to tell me hotd is intelligent which I hated.
the show had it's mind games,cases,tests and philosophical matters that get explored better in the manga but as I said it's ok if you didn't like it.the anime had a good first half but the fillerish 2nd half ruined it

At no point did he say he didn't enjoy the shows you've listed, he just wants an explanation on your thoughts of why the anime you've listed would be considered "intelligent".
Basically, if someone came in and said Acchi Kocchi was intelligent, I would be curious of why he/she thought it be the most intelligent anime they've seen, even though I enjoyed it.
ShoryuDec 31, 2012 10:31 PM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 31, 2012 10:48 PM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
renders said:

it doesn't matter if I tell you or not since you already said you didn't enjoyed it.that's like somebody trying to tell me hotd is intelligent which I hated.
the show had it's mind games,cases,tests and philosophical matters that get explored better in the manga but as I said it's ok if you didn't like it.the anime had a good first half but the fillerish 2nd half ruined it

At no point did he say he didn't enjoy the shows you've listed, he just wants an explanation on your thoughts of why the anime you've listed would be considered "intelligent".
Basically, if someone came in and said Acchi Kocchi was intelligent, I would be curious of why he/she thought it be the most intelligent anime they've seen, even though I enjoyed it.

nah I had a discussion with him before about the show he said he hated it,the art style,the characters,the story everything...you can't force somebody to like a show
Dec 31, 2012 10:59 PM

Nov 2010
renders said:
Well I'm willing to listen as to why you consider it intelligent. Whether I enjoyed it or not doesn't matter in this thread, this is about the most intelligent anime. And I'm not the only one in this thread, you have to provide reasons as to why you think it's intelligent regardless of the people in the thread.

I guess I could see the mind games, Detective Conan and Tantei Gakuen Q had better cases because theirs were smarter and you could help solve them. I don't know what you mean by tests, the philosophical matters I didn't see any. Probably because they were explained in the manga, that's the thing, it didn't show much in the anime in terms of story and or philosophical matters. An intelligent anime is not only about the character's intelligence, but also how the story is made and presented. Which as you say, you have to read the manga to get the whole story, seeing as the anime didn't show anything.

renders said:
nah I had a discussion with him before about the show he said he hated it,the art style,the characters,the story everything...you can't force somebody to like a show
Yeah well this thread isn't about liking a show, it's about the intelligence of an anime, which Spiral didn't really have, mostly because of what was left out. I recognize that most of my favorite shows don't really fit this thread's topic.
Jan 1, 2013 12:54 AM
Jan 2013
Death Note was but it ended -.- and the ending was really bad too .
Jan 1, 2013 3:00 AM
Nov 2012
renders said:

that's your opinion

Sorry to rain on your parade but intelligence is not a mater of opinion. The perception of it can vary, as perception is a matter of experience, and relative. But that's perception not the truth. It might be hard to measure objectively, but that's the fault of the observer, not reality being subjective.

The title suggests sharing of personal experience, so a subjective view and opinion, that's why we can argue about it, trying to get closer to the objective truth. But not all opinions are equally good. Nor do the numbers matter. The best argument does.

Now taste, whether something is boring, scary, moving, entertaining, exciting, sexy, that's a matter of opinion (highly subjective).
abramsJan 1, 2013 3:26 AM
Jan 1, 2013 3:22 AM

May 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
renders said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Tachii said:
IntroverTurtle said:
k11chi said:
I guess Spiral should be added to the list after thinking for a sec.
Added to what list?
Why the intelligent anime list of course.
I don't think so.

that's your opinion
Well then tell me what is intelligent about the show, that no other show does?
Well even if the 'cases' were worse than Gosick's I still think the ending was pretty good even if it dragged for 150 pages. It was sorta thriller and made the headaches I had from finishing Monster disappear for a sec. That's all.. the anime could have been better
k11chiJan 1, 2013 4:56 AM
Jan 1, 2013 3:48 AM

Oct 2012
KaminaVX said:
Death Note was but it ended -.- and the ending was really bad too .

The ending was best possible, stop talking nonsense.
Jan 1, 2013 9:24 AM
Sep 2012
If, by intelligent you mean what the author wrote and what he though the effect of what he wrote would have on people, as for the well build history I think Gungrave would fit.

I mean come one, who wouldn't get the urge to shed one tear or two in the final episode?
#notapussyjustmanlytears
Jan 1, 2013 11:31 AM

Jan 2012
abrams said:
renders said:

that's your opinion

Sorry to rain on your parade but intelligence is not a mater of opinion. The perception of it can vary, as perception is a matter of experience, and relative. But that's perception not the truth. It might be hard to measure objectively, but that's the fault of the observer, not reality being subjective.

The title suggests sharing of personal experience, so a subjective view and opinion, that's why we can argue about it, trying to get closer to the objective truth. But not all opinions are equally good. Nor do the numbers matter. The best argument does.

Now taste, whether something is boring, scary, moving, entertaining, exciting, sexy, that's a matter of opinion (highly subjective).

Fine then my personal view and opinion as to why I think Spiral is a intelligent anime is because it feels like a play (i know it sounds weird),kinda like how the story goes in game of thrones where the story,the characters backstory,the war and everything else you find out from their dialogue..except for season 2 where they actually showed a war in the last few episodes.Anyway back on spiral I personally loved the story and how the pacing kept changing,first it starts in a case closed kind of way with a few cases,then there's the mistery of the blade children and their tests,then the 3 organizations watchers,hunters and saviours and his brother fiasco.I like the author's style in both spiral and zetsuen and his poetic-ish dialogue,plus the mc is smart and figures out the cases/tests/etc in a way to keep you guessing kinda like death note did,unlike gosick which feels like any generic detective show.Sry I rambled too much
Jan 1, 2013 11:59 AM

Dec 2009
Getei said:
If, by intelligent you mean what the author wrote and what he though the effect of what he wrote would have on people, as for the well build history I think Gungrave would fit.

I mean come one, who wouldn't get the urge to shed one tear or two in the final episode?
#notapussyjustmanlytears

I wouldn't call Gungrave intelligent per se, but it deserves major props for having a ridiculously over-the-top shoot 'em up video game as its source material and the anime reworking it into an extremely well executed crime drama about friendship and loyalty.
Ara ara.
Jan 1, 2013 12:32 PM
Apr 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
killerbass said:
The "most intelligent anime over the year award" has to goto Inferno cop.

This. Though intelligent may be too dumb of a word to accurately describe it.

I agree with you 100%.
Jan 1, 2013 12:38 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Death note because of L and Light

Kami nomi because of Keima

Bleach because of Aizen and Urahara
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Jan 1, 2013 2:03 PM
Nov 2012
Oh, I guess this arguing about which ones are intelligent and which ones are not turns sort of pointless. People want the anime they liked to be intelligent/deep/high-brow and in good taste (sophisticated) so they will argue the point to no end, no mater what. It's too emotionally charged and emotions have no room in such deliberations. It's "was it", not "did it feel/seem like it was".

Just change the title to "What do you think is the most most entertaining/best anime you've seen?" and add it has to be above 3rd grade level, so no one will suggest Pokemon (then again, scratch that, why keep'em out). Then all the opinions will be just as valid.

Still, not like we couldn't argue about taste. Even purposeful bad taste can be considered good, like Pink Flamingos. "It was great, but I never want to see it again".
Jan 1, 2013 2:34 PM

Oct 2011
Well... Obviously, Serial Experiment Lain. That was... really complicated.
Also : Mawaru Penguindrum and... Kaiji. This man is a genius.
Jan 1, 2013 10:49 PM

Oct 2012
DementedOtaku said:
Certain tidbits of information from novels and latin were posed from Ergo Proxy.

Just asking out of curiosity, but Latin phrase(s) did you find in Ergo Proxy?

Jan 1, 2013 11:10 PM
Nov 2009
Well taken straight from the title "Ergo" and "Proxy". Not latin, but french there is the meaning of Raison D'etra. Oh not to mention the "Cogito" Virus. I believe there was a small bit spoken in the book store eoisode, which is a draw for me in the series. Im rewatching it now to be sure [Meditatio Xi - Anamnesis] (unlike the Ad-Lib episode and the episode where they are strandid on the boat). Dammit man you're rekindling my fondness of Ergo Proxy, and im trying to watch Steins;Gate haha.
Jan 1, 2013 11:12 PM

Jun 2008
abrams said:
Oh, I guess this arguing about which ones are intelligent and which ones are not turns sort of pointless. People want the anime they liked to be intelligent/deep/high-brow and in good taste (sophisticated) so they will argue the point to no end, no mater what. It's too emotionally charged and emotions have no room in such deliberations. It's "was it", not "did it feel/seem like it was".

Just change the title to "What do you think is the most most entertaining/best anime you've seen?" and add it has to be above 3rd grade level, so no one will suggest Pokemon (then again, scratch that, why keep'em out). Then all the opinions will be just as valid.

Still, not like we couldn't argue about taste. Even purposeful bad taste can be considered good, like Pink Flamingos. "It was great, but I never want to see it again".
I don't believe this type of argument has no ending. If one side can offer a logical and understandable response (at the same time not being aggravating or aggressive) then the other party should at least come to a respectful understanding of the other party's opinions.

I'm sure in a specific example, one side can point out the +s of Death Note in what makes it intelligent and another of -s that points to the contrary. I'm sure such a level-headed discussion have occurred before.

But alas, most MALers are so used to just list their fav/worst/[insert adjectives] x's that when someone actually want them to defend their opinion things can get ..."emotional". Not just to the one defending, but to the one that's opposing as well.

PS: I'm not trying to argue with you by any chance in this reply. Just a continuation of my thoughts in regard to your post. From our last few exchanges I believe you could offer that level-headed discussion if you tried.
Jan 1, 2013 11:16 PM

Oct 2012
DementedOtaku said:
Well taken straight from the title "Ergo" and "Proxy". Not latin, but french there is the meaning of Raison D'etra. Oh not to mention the "Cogito" Virus. I believe there was a small bit spoken in the book store eoisode, which is a draw for me in the series. Im rewatching it now to be sure [Meditatio Xi - Anamnesis] (unlike the Ad-Lib episode and the episode where they are strandid on the boat). Dammit man you're rekindling my fondness of Ergo Proxy, and im trying to watch Steins;Gate haha.

Ah, actually..quite silly of me to say the least, was unaware of Ergo being rooted in Latin as well as cogito since I take a Latin course, but oh well.

Gained knowledge, yippe! ^^

But yeah, love that French phrase "raison d'tere", may mean something simple, but the fact that anime used it in place of Japanese made it pretty unique.

Also, haha, don't sweat it man, continue watching Steins;Gate, didn't mean to distract you from that :P

Jan 1, 2013 11:18 PM

Sep 2012
What makes an anime "Intelligent"?
Jan 1, 2013 11:21 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:

Question was asked earlier in this thread I believe, but I don't think there was a clear answer, mostly I guess since it's whatever you perceive to be considered "intelligent".

Jan 1, 2013 11:31 PM

Sep 2012
Hmm I don't think I've seen one then. What I would consider "intelligent" would be the author providing either some sort of social commentary, or inciting change. It should be controversial.

The book The Crucible would be an example of this. And 1984.

Smart characters don't mean anything. I'll use Death Note as an example. I love Death Note with all of my heartattack. But it is in no way intelligent. And what makes me mad, is the fact that it had potential.

With all of the religious symbolism and themes, it would be so easy to provoke questions about the morals of society, or Christianity, or religion in general. It didn't though. It may have threw some scenes here and there about morals, but it wasn't a major theme.

Basically, if the writer has an agenda different than "get money and entertain", and is trying to actually say something, I would consider it intelligent.
Jan 1, 2013 11:34 PM

Apr 2011
Red_Keys said:

"I know it when I see it"
It is usually accompanied by the following elements.
A solid story structure.
Ideas are effectively communicated through dialogue, symbols or action.
The characters leave an impression on the audience or express something that is greater than themselves.
It does not doubt the intelligence of the viewer.
The premise or theme remains coherent throughout the entire duration.
Basically what makes other works intelligent.

I think there is a misconception that "intelligent" means something that is exclusive, or even impossible for people to understand.
IneptiaJan 1, 2013 11:40 PM
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 1, 2013 11:37 PM
Nov 2009
Red_Keys said:

I discussed it somewhat in my post, however some points would be literary techniques, foreshadowing, moonlighting, philosophy, a background of foreign languages and Books, symbolism, "hitting close to home", and refer back to my post above.

Tavor said:

Gained knowledge, yippe! ^^

Always a good thing. If you're looking for more interesting tidbits to read on about Ergo proxy i find TVTropes useful. Here's the page : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Anime/ErgoProxy?from=Main.ErgoProxy

3miL said:
Death note because of L and Light

Kami nomi because of Keima

Bleach because of Aizen and Urahara

I wonder if you can give regards to an Anime series being Intelligent due to the roles a specific character may play in them.Even though they may rub off as such. I find Zero in the role of a revolutionary leader in Code Geass to seem very foretelling and wise to his compatriots, and in regards to Lelouche's character I would consider himself Intelligent. However tatics and strategy aside I don't see code geass in a realistic scenario, and it's more difficult to "hit close to home". Though the main point I'm leading towards is that regardless in a character's role in the series, the character doesn't make the series.

Tavor said:

This.

I think i've said quite a mouthful for now, going to back to Steins;Gate.
Jan 1, 2013 11:48 PM
Nov 2009
Red_Keys said:
Basically, if the writer has an agenda different than "get money and entertain", and is trying to actually say something, I would consider it intelligent.

Which brings up a good point. Is there varying metrics in intelligence for an Anime series?
As you said if a series will "get money and entertain" you may not very well feel a sense of deep thought after finishing an episode or a series, but I would consider the series to be an intelligent move in the market because it does so well what it was meant to achieve. Though I won't argue in favor of Bleach, Naruto, and other very much prolonged anime, i do acknowledged their perpetual funding into a culture. Though the direction in which it takes it is arguable.

A good example would be Battleship Potemkin. When it was released it was highly criticized as propaganda for displaying a single, unmoving message. in which much media is deliberated because their isn't a solid definition for everything, and there is room for perception. However the film in it's direction was clear cut and was founding for the use of montage and much homage to the baby carriage scene.
Jan 2, 2013 1:23 AM

May 2012
Bleach so deep it's about multidimensional things... Believe it.
Jan 2, 2013 1:57 AM
Nov 2012
so far Steins;gate, durarara and flcl
Jan 2, 2013 5:09 AM

Oct 2010
Monster.
Jan 2, 2013 1:06 PM
Nov 2012
Tachii said:
abrams said:

I don't believe this type of argument has no ending. If one side can offer a logical and understandable response (at the same time not being aggravating or aggressive) then the other party should at least come to a respectful understanding of the other party's opinions.

I'm sure in a specific example, one side can point out the +s of Death Note in what makes it intelligent and another of -s that points to the contrary. I'm sure such a level-headed discussion have occurred before.

But alas, most MALers are so used to just list their fav/worst/[insert adjectives] x's that when someone actually want them to defend their opinion things can get ..."emotional". Not just to the one defending, but to the one that's opposing as well.

PS: I'm not trying to argue with you by any chance in this reply. Just a continuation of my thoughts in regard to your post. From our last few exchanges I believe you could offer that level-headed discussion if you tried.

And I appreciate the understanding we have reached. Was not talking about the discussion that ended at 457, but rather making a generalized statement about the trend that has developed in this thread and pointing out the probable cause. I see you have noticed this trend as well.

Unfortunate as there is no need for it, as there is nothing wrong with mid- or even low-brow entrainment (repeating myself again, oh dear). I'm sure we all can admit to enjoying this sort of entertainment from time to time. In fact, a vast majority of shows and books, fit into one of those two categories.

Art after-all is not science or philosophy. If you get my drift.
Jan 2, 2013 2:08 PM

Sep 2012
Monster
Death Note
Code Geass
Steins Gate

I still like them and still learn something ^_^
Jan 2, 2013 2:19 PM

May 2012
Silion said:
Monster
Death Note
Code Geass
Steins Gate

I still like them and still learn something ^_^

Like what lol
Jan 2, 2013 2:22 PM

Nov 2012
k11chi said:
Silion said:
Monster
Death Note
Code Geass
Steins Gate

I still like them and still learn something ^_^ after watching the above a couple times

Like what lol

I hope I answered that :P.
Jan 2, 2013 2:27 PM
Nov 2012
DementedOtaku said:
Red_Keys said:

I discussed it somewhat in my post, however some points would be literary techniques, foreshadowing, moonlighting, philosophy, a background of foreign languages and Books, symbolism, "hitting close to home", and refer back to my post above.

I'd hate to be "that" guy again but I would have to disagree with some items in that list. Symbolism most of all.

Symbolism could be a part of an intelligent show, but doesn't make one in the least. It has more to do with having a common frame of reference as the author, rather than critical thinking. It could be of course very subtle, hard to read directly, but then it's a matter of being observant and not necessarily extra intelligent. Paranoia agent is fraught with symbols for different aspects of the Japanese experience, and it tests not only how observant you are, but most of all, your knowledge of Japan. And knowledge is separate from intelligence. Sometimes, no intelligence is required at all, as would be the case of Watson winning Jeopardy. What is worse about symbolism is that it is always a simplification (of what it actually means), and as such easy to understand (given the knowledge ofc)and innately appealing to us humans. It is to our detriment when simpleminded people start thinking in terms of symbols for convenience sake.

Foreshadowing is a great literary device that serves to create and maintain that eery feeling of inevitability. Honestly, who doesn't like Macbeth, with it's witches. Or the way it was done in Hotaru no Haka, brilliant. The film wouldn't be nearly as much of a tearjerk if it was omitted. But, and that's a bigger but than the one I'm sitting on, it has nothing to do with intelligence.

Not sure what your definition of moonlighting is but I'll assume it means slow, subtle, gradual revelation. That too is simply the way that the story is constructed, and speaks nothing of the content.

No plot device or reference to some piece of information (no matter how obscure) would constitute intelligence. Although you specifically are not guilty of it here, it is truly sad how many people make the mistake of considering such overused plot devices as the "plot twist", as smart. Surprise is not intelligence. Some devices, like "deus ex machina" are just signs of sloppy work on the part of the writer who had to write his way out of a hole with the supernatural/magic.

It is necessary to make a clear distinction between a well constructed and smart, or entertaining for that matter. Skillful storytelling and complexity have more to do with artistic talent and knowledge, and are not sings of authors extraordinary intelligence. If the show was witty then perhaps, but witty =/= funny (and we'd probably have an argument about that instead). And besides wit has to be spontaneous and original to be a sign of intelligence.

The only thing on the list that has to do with intelligence is philosophy, and that, only if it contains philosophical themes that you have to contemplate yourself. If the show simply references this or that philosophy, or more or less provides an explanation/interpretation for you, then you don't have to do a lot of thinking. Or if they are issues that are really easy to figure out, then it's not an especially intelligent show, just above average.
abramsJan 2, 2013 2:42 PM
Jan 2, 2013 2:53 PM

Apr 2011
I will quote Reuenthal here, "What sophistry!"
"Check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." Or maybe more to be honest.
IneptiaJan 2, 2013 3:00 PM
Jan 2, 2013 3:09 PM
Oct 2012
abrams said:
I'd hate to be "that" guy

We actually need more of "those" guys. Not the one's who are smug in their intelligence and come here to "prove" it (which come to think about it, shows how unintelligent they are), but people who actually think about a response, then explain why they think the way they do.
Jan 2, 2013 3:10 PM
Nov 2012
Ineptia said:
"Check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." Or maybe more to be honest.

If you won't even bother to make an argument, why take you seriously.

Oh, but I will. The premise of my argument is that there is a distinction between intelligence and knowledge, complexity, artistic talent, surprise and sophistication. They each have their own distinct definitions and meaning. Second premise that there is a distinction between humor and wit. The argument is certainly not meant to deceive like sophistry, but rather clarify and set boundaries.

The quote is originally from Marquis de Sade's Justine by the way. And the second quote is from Ayn Rand, and not meant in this context.

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong."
abramsJan 2, 2013 4:24 PM
Jan 2, 2013 3:35 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

If you won't even bother to make an argument, why take you seriously.

Intelligence is the faculty to use reason. This is the definition. I thought you would have understood it when you claimed that intelligence is not simply knowledge. However, you then claim that skillful storytelling and complexity are not [signs] of an [author's] intellect. The art of writing and weaving ideas is one of reason and definitely of intellect. You then go on to say that wit must be spontaneous or original to be intelligent. Spontaneity is not the soul of wit, it is brevity. Wit is a sign of intellect because, again, it is reasoning. All the things in the list are products of intellect and it is how they are used that constitutes intelligence. By philosophy, I subscribe to the Western variant which is the use of reason. It is objective and does not depend on how much someone else contemplated it.

Takuan_Soho said:
abrams said:
I'd hate to be "that" guy

We actually need more of "those" guys. Not the one's who are smug in their intelligence and come here to "prove" it (which come to think about it, shows how unintelligent they are), but people who actually think about a response, then explain why they think the way they do.

I would like to think it takes some intelligence to "prove things". In fact, you might even need to think about the response! "I hold these truths to be self-evident," though proving it means you explained it.
abrams said:

The quote is originally from Marquis de Sade's Justine by the way. And the second quote is from Ayn Rand, and not meant in this context.

Since "What sophistry!" is just two words, I'm sure many different peoples have said it throughout time.
I did not reference Rand's name because it holds a certain stigma. The context is fine.
IneptiaJan 2, 2013 3:42 PM
Jan 2, 2013 3:44 PM
Oct 2012
Ineptia said:
I would like to think it takes some intelligence to "prove things". In fact, you might even need to think about the response! " hold these truths to be self-evident," though proving it means you explained it.

No, it honestly doesn't take "intelligence" to "prove things", common sense in a lot of instances is more than enough for people. Though of course "common sense" is getting to be pretty rare these days....

As for proving it means you explained it. Not necessarily. One can prove something without being able to explain it. There are a lot of things that one can demonstrate to be true (prove) without being able to explain why it is true.
Jan 2, 2013 3:49 PM

Jan 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Ineptia said:
I would like to think it takes some intelligence to "prove things". In fact, you might even need to think about the response! " hold these truths to be self-evident," though proving it means you explained it.

No, it honestly doesn't take "intelligence" to "prove things", common sense in a lot of instances is more than enough for people. Though of course "common sense" is getting to be pretty rare these days....

As for proving it means you explained it. Not necessarily. One can prove something without being able to explain it. There are a lot of things that one can demonstrate to be true (prove) without being able to explain why it is true.

Jan 2, 2013 3:50 PM

Apr 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Ineptia said:

Common sense is simple perception but still a use of reason and intelligence. We are not talking about those cases, we are talking about writing. I will however, agree with you.
Jan 2, 2013 4:01 PM
Nov 2012
Ineptia said:

Intelligence is the faculty to use reason. This is the definition. I thought you would have understood it when you claimed that intelligence is not simply knowledge. However, you then claim that skillful storytelling and complexity are not [signs] of an [author's] intellect. The art of writing and weaving ideas is one of reason and definitely of intellect.

Never claimed they were not a sign, just not a measure. Yes, a machine can't write a good story, we can agree on that point. I said they don't require extraordinary intelligence. I'm sure most authors posses only an average level of intelligence and that includes many of those that pack their stories with complexity (plot devices, references, symbols). The ones that do so skilfully are talented, and that's a different thing.

Ineptia said:

You then go on to say that wit must be spontaneous or original to be intelligent. Spontaneity is not the soul of wit, it is brevity. Wit is a sign of intellect because, again, it is reasoning. All the things in the list are products of intellect and it is how they are used that constitutes intelligence.

Consider a situation where you have a conversation with someone and he is quoting a witticism of Oscar Wilde. Does that mean that he is a wit himself. He might not be capable of coming up with such a witticism on his own. Is that a sign of his high intelligence then. It has to be original. I'm willing to concede that wit does not have to be spontaneous, but it's much less of a mark of intelligence (i.e. thinking speed) when someone spends hours coming up with it, only to be used later.

Ineptia said:

By philosophy, I subscribe to the Western variant which is the use of reason. It is objective and does not depend on how much someone else contemplated it.

You have missed my point, which was that you yourself have to be the one contemplating it, NOT someone else (ex. a film contains a reference to Wittgenstein and then explains the meaning, or makes you look it up, rather than figure out). It's the same difference as between an artist and an art historian (referencing work of others). Again, you have to act as the philosopher, not simply hear a reference to one's work.
abramsJan 2, 2013 4:07 PM
Jan 2, 2013 4:01 PM
Oct 2012
Ineptia said:
Common sense is simple perception but still a use of reason and intelligence. We are not talking about those cases, we are talking about writing. I will however, agree with you.

Very kind of ya to agree with little ole me :-)

Though if we are going to say that it is a use of reason and intelligence, then most things require some sort of reason and intelligence. The very act of perceiving requires an incredible amount of intelligence, so much in fact that artificial intelligence still hasn't caught up to it.

However, we have to be careful about falling into a tautological definition of intelligence and reason, that something is intelligent to the extent that is intelligent. I say this because some of the dumbest ideas in human history have been believed by very intelligent people. I have also seen extremely intelligent and reasonable people (by any objective standards of either) make some of the most boneheaded decisions possible.
Jan 2, 2013 4:38 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

Intelligence is the faculty to use reason. This is the definition. I thought you would have understood it when you claimed that intelligence is not simply knowledge. However, you then claim that skillful storytelling and complexity are not [signs] of an [author's] intellect. The art of writing and weaving ideas is one of reason and definitely of intellect.

Never claimed they were not a sign, just not a measure. Yes, a machine can't write a good story, we can agree on that point. I said they don't require extraordinary intelligence. I'm sure most authors posses only an average level of intelligence and that includes many of those that pack their stories with complexity (plot devices, references, symbols). The ones that do so skilfully are talented, and that's a different thing.

I cannot abide by the idea that they are not both talented and of great intellect. The idea of talent is too centered on natural ability and not the effort they made to become great. Artists spend a great amount of time honing their technique; I know naturals exist but they shouldn’t be evidence against those who were not! The best ideas are in the head and are only made worse by transcribing them to paper. It takes artists a keen mind and intellect to present us with their ideas and I hate to see it cheapened as a product of nature.

abrams said:
Ineptia said:

You then go on to say that wit must be spontaneous or original to be intelligent. Spontaneity is not the soul of wit, it is brevity. Wit is a sign of intellect because, again, it is reasoning. All the things in the list are products of intellect and it is how they are used that constitutes intelligence.

Consider a situation where you have a conversation with someone and he is quoting a witticism of Oscar Wilde. Does that mean that he is a wit himself. He might not be capable of coming up with such a witticism on his own. Is that a sign of his high intelligence then. It has to be original. I'm willing to concede that wit does not have to be spontaneous, but it's much less of a mark of intelligence (i.e. thinking speed) when someone spends hours coming up with it, only to be used later.

I believe it is a sign of their intelligence if they used it accurately. Intelligence does not always have to be original.

abrams said:
Ineptia said:

By philosophy, I subscribe to the Western variant which is the use of reason. It is objective and does not depend on how much someone else contemplated it.

You have missed my point, which was that you yourself have to be the one contemplating it, NOT someone else (ex. a film contains a reference to Wittgenstein and then explains the meaning). It's the same difference as between an artist and an art historian (referencing work of others). Again, you have to act as the philosopher, not simply hear a reference to one's work.
The only thing on the list that has to do with intelligence is philosophy, and that, only if it contains philosophical themes that you have to contemplate yourself. If the show simply references this or that philosophy, or more or less provides an explanation/interpretation for you, then you don't have to do a lot of thinking. Or if they are issues that are really easy to figure out, then it's not an especially intelligent show, just above average.

I apologize if I am mistaking your “point”, but I am saying that it can be intelligent without needing the audience to spend hours figuring it out. A lot of people think it needs to be hard for the audience to figure it out to be an intelligent show. I disagree. All works are the interpretations of an artist and are still intelligent; I agree they should not randomly quote of course.

It may strike you as surprising, but I am not arguing to get on your nerves. I really disagree with you.
Jan 2, 2013 4:56 PM

Jan 2013
Probably Death Note.
I’ve seen it some years ago and I don’t remember that well the details of the story but I remember that the main character was way too intelligent deceiving everyone, especially the L character.
Jan 2, 2013 4:59 PM
Nov 2012
Ineptia said:

Since "What sophistry!" is just two words, I'm sure many different peoples have said it throughout time.
I did not reference Rand's name because it holds a certain stigma. The context is fine.

I'm sure about that as well, at least since 14th century when the word sophistry originated. If you read Justine however, you'll know why I mentioned it as the source of the cry "What sophistry!" as you have used it. Although a similar argument can be found as early as the Satyricon. Both are a good read, I recommend.

As for the Ayn Rand quote, I don't mind the stigma, like every human she was right about some things, wrong about other. Just pointing out that you used it out of its original context, where it had a different meaning (concerning contradictions).

And I wouldn't be so uncivil about it if you hadn't been in the first place.
Jan 2, 2013 5:04 PM
Oct 2012
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

I'm sure about that as well, at least since 14th century when the word sophistry originated. If you read Justine however, you'll know why I mentioned it as the source of the cry "What sophistry!" as you have used it. Although a similar argument can be found as early as the Satyricon. Both are a good read, I recommend.

As for the Ayn Rand quote, I don't mind the stigma, like every human she was right about some things, wrong about other. Just pointing out that you used it out of its original context, where it had a different meaning (concerning contradictions).

Sophistry actually goes back to 500 B.C. They were a class of people who taught rhetoric and other skills in the Greek cities. Collectively they were called "sophists. Today they are usually called "pre-Socratic philosophers". The word "sophist" comes from the Greek word for Wisdom. The term "sophistry" became an insult in the writings of Plato.

The negative connotation comes from them being relativists, as opposed to Plato who was an idealist. Plato disses them in several of his dialogs, including Gorgias, Protagoras and the Sophist (the first two were actual sophists) for not having actual knowledge, but rather using rhetorical tricks to win arguments.
Jan 2, 2013 5:18 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

I thought your writing contradicted itself, that is why I said it. It is not out of the original context. She often says it in interviews to people who argue an opposing point that she thinks is wrong. Even in the context of the novel itself, I am vindicated.
I never thought you were uncivil, and I didn't think I was either.
IneptiaJan 2, 2013 5:26 PM
Jan 2, 2013 5:40 PM
Nov 2012
Ineptia said:

I cannot abide by the idea that they are not both talented and of great intellect. The idea of talent is too centered on natural ability and not the effort they made to become great. Artists spend a great amount of time honing their technique; I know naturals exist but they shouldn’t be evidence against those who were not! The best ideas are in the head and are only made worse by transcribing them to paper. It takes artists a keen mind and intellect to present us with their ideas and I hate to see it cheapened as a product of nature..

Why so sentimental, humans after all are a product of nature. And thoughts, even if they are just a manifestation of the physical processes in our brains, are not cheapened by that fact. As I've mentioned before, intelligence is an emotionally charged word and prone to being misused.

It is simply a mental characteristic of a capacity for learning and reasoning. The old fast/slow analogy is a bit simplistic but works. It's not how far you can go but how fast. Given the same (life)time of course, it would translate into maximum range, maximum being the keyword. It is a potential, not a guarantee. It can go to waste, even almost completely, for instance if someone is illiterate. Consider the story of Srinivasa Ramanujan, a man of great intelligence that could have easily gone to waste.

As such people overemphasize the importance of intelligence, as opposed to other characteristics. This misconception is a result of simple-mindedness with which we are told how important it is since childhood. The truth is that not all writers, even the good ones, have to be extra intelligent. It helps, I'm sure but it's not necessary. If anything work ethic (hard working) is more important, but again as with anything, there are no guarantees (i.e. can't squeeze blood out of a stone).

Ineptia said:

I believe it is a sign of their intelligence if they used it accurately. Intelligence does not always have to be original.

Only original thinking can be a sign of one's own intelligence. If you're quoting/referencing someone then you're appropriating their thinking and say nothing about your own. Other perhaps then the possibility of finesse with which you used it to illustrate a point, but not the content of the reference itself. You can try to argue with that if you want.

Ineptia said:

I apologize if I am mistaking your “point”, but I am saying that it can be intelligent without needing the audience to spend hours figuring it out. A lot of people think it needs to be hard for the audience to figure it out to be an intelligent show. I disagree. All works are the interpretations of an artist and are still intelligent; I agree they should not randomly quote of course.

Yes, its the problem with the use of a word intelligence. Is an intelligent show one that shows the high intelligence of the author OR the audience, in requiring it to have it in order to enjoy it. That might be a source of the misunderstanding. Intelligent is not a good word to use when describing a piece of art (hence me arguing against its use). This has been pointed out a number of times I believe.

I prefer high-, mid- and low-brow as descriptions of mental sophistication and taste. Little to do with intelligence I'm afraid.

Ineptia said:

It may strike you as surprising, but I am not arguing to get on your nerves. I really disagree with you.

Yes, that is not the impression I got from the first post. Came of as derisory. Hence my initial response. But I'm sure we can agree there is no need to be uncivil.
Jan 2, 2013 5:51 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

Sophistry actually goes back to 500 B.C. They were a class of people who taught rhetoric and other skills in the Greek cities. Collectively they were called "sophists. Today they are usually called "pre-Socratic philosophers". The word "sophist" comes from the Greek word for Wisdom. The term "sophistry" became an insult in the writings of Plato.

The negative connotation comes from them being relativists, as opposed to Plato who was an idealist. Plato disses them in several of his dialogs, including Gorgias, Protagoras and the Sophist (the first two were actual sophists) for not having actual knowledge, but rather using rhetorical tricks to win arguments.

Yes Plato criticized sophism, and it's his influence that's one of the sources of the modern use of the word sophistry, but he never used it as a cry (!) of insult. I also mentioned Gaius Petronius's Satyricon, another good example of the same sentiment.

This was simply a riposte, I'd hoped it wouldn't be necessary to point out that my original argument was not flowery in order to conceal a deception/lie.

Ineptia said:
I thought your writing contradicted itself, that is why I said it. It is not out of the original context. She often says it in interviews to people who argue an opposing point that she thinks is wrong. Even in the context of the novel itself, I am vindicated.
I never thought you were uncivil, and I didn't think I was either.

I've only seen two interviews with her, and I don't recall seeing her use it like that. Oh well, I'll take your word for it. Anyway, isn't she long dead. And if I remember correctly, she turned out to be quite the hypocrite when it came to the affair she had with Branden, then died alone and abandoned with only her cats.

There I go again. No need to drag this any further as long as we can bot agree to be civil. It's a deal.

abramsJan 2, 2013 6:07 PM
Jan 2, 2013 6:05 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

I cannot abide by the idea that they are not both talented and of great intellect. The idea of talent is too centered on natural ability and not the effort they made to become great. Artists spend a great amount of time honing their technique; I know naturals exist but they shouldn’t be evidence against those who were not! The best ideas are in the head and are only made worse by transcribing them to paper. It takes artists a keen mind and intellect to present us with their ideas and I hate to see it cheapened as a product of nature..

Why so sentimental, humans after all are a product of nature. And thoughts, even if they are just a manifestation of the physical processes in our brains, are not cheapened by that fact. As I've mentioned before, intelligence is an emotionally charged word and prone to being misused.

It is simply a mental characteristic of a capacity for learning and reasoning. The old fast/slow analogy is a bit simplistic but works. It's not how far you can go but how fast. Given the same (life)time of course, it would translate into maximum range, maximum being the keyword. It is a potential, not a guarantee. It can go to waste, even almost completely, for instance if someone is illiterate. Consider the story of Srinivasa Ramanujan, a man of great intelligence that could have easily gone to waste.

As such people overemphasize the importance of intelligence, as opposed to other characteristics. This misconception is a result of simple-mindedness with which we are told how important it is since childhood. The truth is that not all writers, even the good ones, have to be extra intelligent. It helps, I'm sure but it's not necessary. If anything work ethic (hard working) is more important, but again as with anything, there are no guarantees (i.e. can't squeeze blood out of a stone).

Ineptia said:

Only original thinking can be a sign of one's own intelligence. If you're quoting/referencing someone then you're appropriating their thinking and say nothing about your own. Other perhaps then the possibility of finesse with which you used it to illustrate a point, but not the content of the reference itself. You can try to argue with that if you want.

Ineptia said:

Yes, its the problem with the use of a word intelligence. Is an intelligent show one that shows the high intelligence of the author OR the audience, in requiring it to have it in order to enjoy it. That might be a source of the misunderstanding. Intelligent is not a good word to use when describing a piece of art (hence me arguing against its use). This has been pointed out a number of times I believe.

I prefer high-, mid- and low-brow as descriptions of mental sophistication and taste. Little to do with intelligence I'm afraid.

Ineptia said:

Yes, that is not the impression I got from the first post. Came of as derisory. Hence my initial response. But I'm sure we can agree there is no need to be uncivil.

I was being sentimental as opposed to being tautological. I agree with Takuan that such distinctions are maybe not to be taken so literally. Although I admit I am a sentimental person to begin with.

If original thinking is the only sign of one's own intelligence, I think you forget that language is an invention as well. The meaning of words are created by others but can still say something of your own. Using the intelligence of others, such as their mathematical theories, can very well mean that you understand the reference and can apply it as part of your own dialogue. I am not going to call you an unoriginal or unintelligent person just because you happen to like pulling up the works or names of others, abrams.

My point has been that a show is intelligent by showing the intelligence of the author. When you apply the titles high, mid, or low-brow, it is just being insincere. You very well mean less intelligent or more intelligent.

I apologize if it came off as derisory. It was a result of my shock to your impressions. I will not continue this any longer if you want.
IneptiaJan 2, 2013 6:17 PM
Jan 2, 2013 6:37 PM
Nov 2012
Ineptia said:

If original thinking is the only sign of one's own intelligence, I think you forget that language is an invention as well. The meaning of words are created by others but can still say something of your own. Using the intelligence of others, such as their mathematical theories, can very well mean that you understand the reference and can apply it as part of your own dialogue.

To counterpoint, to understand a mathematical theory is not as hard as to create one. And yes some level of intelligence is required for both, but neither is strictly a measure of it.

I would see the source of our disagreement in whether something simply requires intelligence (at any level) or whether it is a measure of it (requires a certain, above average level of it). Hence my repeated use of highly, extraordinarily. If you just say a show is intelligent than that's strictly nonsense, a show is not even sentient. So some interpretation is in order.

Language is arbitrary, and it is not a sign of intelligence. Computers operate using languages of various levels. It is communication in absence of language that is the sign of intelligence. The way that you can create a language of your own, perhaps when you were abroad and didn't speak their language, perhaps using gesticulation. Even face expressions can convey anger, joy etc, and are a form of communication. It's how you use them to express complex ideas that count's, not the words themselves.

Ineptia said:

My point has been that a show is intelligent by showing the intelligence of the author. When you apply the titles high, mid, or low-brow, it is just being insincere. You very well mean less intelligent or more intelligent.

I apologize if it came off as derisory. It was a result of my shock to your impressions.

I very well mean more or less sophisticated, and that's a completely different thing. But I'd agree that it's at least as important. Still, just because a show is sophisticated doesn't automatically mean that the author is highly intelligent. He could be just average in that regard, but could posses other talents, and is certainly sophisticated himself (assuming absence of plagiarism).

It's even more evident when it comes to complexity that isn't even necessarily a sign of sophistication. You want to say that you never encountered a show that had a lot of "crap" going on, a lot of subplots, new characters being introduced, a lot of things left unsaid, but that you'd nevertheless describe as unsophisticated (or dumb if you really must use that term)?

And no need to apologize, let bygones be bygones. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding.
abramsJan 2, 2013 7:01 PM
Pages (18) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

25 by Gator »»
1 minute ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 10 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

41 by Kenzolo-folk »»
3 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

111 by Lucifrost »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.