Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 30, 2008 5:53 PM

Jun 2007
After receiving the full series from Secondspin the other day I started watching it. 6 episodes into it, I'm still not sure what I think about it or if I even think it's good.

I'm finding it the most difficult series to follow and understand I've watched - It beats When They Cry with ease in that department. What makes it hard to follow is how each episode focuses on a different main character and different supporting characters, which means I need to try to memorize the difficult to remember Japanese names, understand the new main character and also keep a picture of the main plot in my mind - Not at all easy when I happen to have a awful memory.

So far, from the tiny amount of main plot information I've managed to absorb into my mind (thanks to episode 5), a secret organization exists that wants to keep the world as it is by killing individuals who show signs of evolution (I have no idea what signs but there we go) and this organization uses man-made humans to kill them.
One of the man-made humans that was created went a bit insane and decided to do its own thing, escaping from one of the organizations labs and killing everyone there before disappearing. This...thing has been busy devouring people for lulz and dealing drugs to create slaves for reasons I know not. The organization have sent a man-made human after the rogue one, the hunter disguising itself as a police officer after killing one and taking his form.

What I don't understand is what Boogiepop (why not just call him/her/it death!?) is supposed to be doing during this mess, why a hot shrink seems to be a baddy (who Negi/Nigi killed in EP6 in a 5 sec scene), why a high school student is hunting for man-made humans with a compass, why there's a girl who uses butterflies that make people relive the past (I'm guessing she's the daughter of the woman who was injected with the drug) and pretty much most of everything else.

So, anyway... Did anyone else find this series slightly hard to follow due to how it's structured? With the events occurring out off order on top of everything else, it's almost as if the animation studio/manga author/whoever didn't want people to understand!
Sep 30, 2008 6:14 PM

Sep 2007
Although I loved Boogiepop, I have to admit it is a hard series to follow at first, but IMO it's one of those where watching it again would give more understanding (for the most part). I'm sure it also helps if you read the manga and novels (I'm planning on it soon).
KuronoaSep 30, 2008 6:22 PM
Sep 30, 2008 6:43 PM
Oct 6, 2008 2:35 PM
Feb 2008
Yeah, I totally agree! This is the most complicated anime to understand I've seen so far, because the reasons already mentioned: you must have a good memory if you want to get what this anime is about, with all those characters very similar with each other, and the names in Japanese and all that x_x... I just finished the whole serie, and I'm planning to read the novels and maybe watch the movie, I don't know. I'm really confused right now, but not that much than when I finished watching ep. 12! thanks to some summaries and explanations I found on internet I understood a few things.

I think this is a very well done anime (manga, novel, etc). It has a really interesting theme, and very weird too. Maybe that's the reason why people doesn't like it! or doesn't know about it!
And... It reminds me a lot of Serial Experiments: Lain, maybe because the colors, the animation, the weird plot, I don't really know.
Nov 23, 2008 11:35 AM

Aug 2008
I'm only 4 episodes in and I really really like it! Before watching it I was kind of scared that I wouldn't be able to follow it, but I don't really find that happening right now. For example, in one episode they show the girls walking by this guy calling out a name, looking like a zombie. You have to watch the next episode to find out who he was, but it didn't take anything away from the previous episode if you didn't know his story. Everything ties together episode by episode but I don't think that it is too hard to follow.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.