Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2008 1:15 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
one word to describe it "weird"
kie_Oct 3, 2008 10:49 PM
Oct 3, 2008 10:25 PM

May 2008
Wired?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 3, 2008 10:50 PM

Jun 2008
ukonkivi said:
Wired?

weird i meant not wired XD
Oct 10, 2008 6:03 AM

Jan 2008
What did I just watch O_o

9/10
Oct 12, 2008 9:38 AM

Feb 2008
Man, that was scary and strange. :/

Oh shit, it's the human joint!
Oct 14, 2008 11:36 AM

Jan 2008
This is definitely the most weirdest anime that I have ever seen.

Nov 3, 2008 12:23 PM
May 2008
i could put a lot of meaning into it, i just don't know whether my meanings are what was intended??
Nov 25, 2008 7:08 AM
Oct 2008
yes,exactly..but there was a couple of scenes where it could be taken as serious ironic metaphors for typical human behaviour ,at least I thought so anyway :P..
Dec 8, 2008 10:18 AM

Jan 2008
Woah, crazy, but in a good way.
I particularly liked the scene where time was being rewound.
Jan 10, 2009 10:30 PM

Mar 2008
soo surreal and and realistic at the same time...

this was maybe someones dream, a cats dream ? xD
................ ゆっくりしていってね!!!......................
Feb 18, 2009 3:52 PM

Nov 2008
What a beautifully fucked up movie. Much like the manga artist who'se work it's based on. And people wonder why she committed suicide >.>
Mar 21, 2009 8:02 PM

Feb 2009
Wow.

I liked how it seem to just get more and more surreal as it went on. I honestly didn't expect it to be this dark, especially the time reversal part which showed car crashes, hundreds of people falling from the sky, a line of people being executed, ect.

I enjoyed it. 8/10
Mar 26, 2009 11:10 PM

Oct 2007
One of the best OVA's I've seen. Its weird, yet creepy. Its spooky too. I don't even know how to describe it either.
Apr 12, 2009 1:21 PM

Aug 2008
well that was disgusting and pointless, 2nd thing I've rated under a 3/10.
Apr 18, 2009 7:53 PM

Nov 2008
Yes, as disgusting and disjointed as Chien Andalou, and as pointless as a Rene Magritte painting. Some people won't get it, as you apparently didn't. Go find comfort in Toradora...
Apr 28, 2009 2:21 AM

Jan 2009
Frohike said:
Yes, as disgusting and disjointed as Chien Andalou, and as pointless as a Rene Magritte painting. Some people won't get it, as you apparently didn't. Go find comfort in Toradora...

High five, broseph.
May 6, 2009 4:11 AM

Feb 2009
My favourite bit was the cloud chicken xD an environmental message maybe? how deep.
May 6, 2009 4:19 AM
Jun 2008
Frohike said:

*applauds*
May 24, 2009 8:34 AM

Apr 2009
Just saw this. Awesome, brave, deep.

10/10, a masterpiece.
May 24, 2009 4:08 PM
Dec 2008
yes. no other visual has made such made me feel the way cat soup does

a definite masterpiece
Jun 14, 2009 12:57 AM

Sep 2008
10/10. Calling this a masterpiece is a massive understatement.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 24, 2009 8:11 PM
Apr 2009
That was very interesting, but I don't understand all of the symbols and imagery. Can someone point them out for me? =)
Jun 28, 2009 5:01 PM

Jul 2008
I tried to keep an open mind I really did but the whole fact of the little pyscho cat really creeped me out, I though the symbolism and story were great, I just did like it lol. However I do want a water elephant they look pretty awesome!
Jul 13, 2009 5:53 PM

Mar 2009
Absolutely sensational surreal and mad. This anime gets a 10.

Jul 23, 2009 6:04 PM

May 2008
The part where they were in the pig going through the desert was so funny, I was lol'in

Wow... seriously weird, yet attractive. The end was messed up though. I gave it a 7/10 cause I rate on enjoyment and the feeling I'm left with after watching it, but the series was very well made. The art is crazy awesome.
Jul 23, 2009 6:05 PM
Dec 2008
lol, funny ep. loved it! catsoup ftw.
Aug 5, 2009 6:39 AM

Jan 2009
where you ppl watch it ? :/ do you download it ?
Aug 6, 2009 2:19 AM

Sep 2008
suzuka_pew said:
where you ppl watch it ? :/ do you download it ?

its on youtube, veoh and I think on megavideo as well. I would recommend a high quality version so you can really appreciate the sound and the art.

I dled it from Bakabt
eyerokAug 6, 2009 2:26 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 15, 2009 7:17 AM

Mar 2009
it's the strangest thing i've ever seen. and i loved it.
so deep, so psycho, so great
Aug 30, 2009 1:13 PM

Mar 2009
Holy hell... this is THE weirdest thing i've ever seen.

9/10 definitely

Sep 10, 2009 7:28 AM

Nov 2008
Seriously the weirdest OAV I've ever watched, it's defintely not my taste but it wasn't bad at all.
The ending was kinda sad, the main character did all of this to save his sister and she's saved, he finally loose all of his family and he end up all alone. Somehow I really like this pessimistic conclusion.

7/10 for me.
Sep 12, 2009 2:58 PM

Sep 2008
HooHiraiBunny said:
Seriously the weirdest OAV I've ever watched, it's defintely not my taste but it wasn't bad at all.
The ending was kinda sad, the main character did all of this to save his sister and she's saved, he finally loose all of his family and he end up all alone. Somehow I really like this pessimistic conclusion.

7/10 for me.

well actually the end wasn't really pessimistic. It was more like a metaphor. The last scene and the credits try to say that every moment in life is precious. That everything is going to fade away one day, so you have to make the most of it... value your life and treasure every moment. Remember that scene when time freezes and the brother cat pulls out the frozen tear on the woman's cheek (the one who was trying to kill herself jumping in front of a train), throws it down and breaks it with his feet. She was throwing away something really precious (life)...and her pain (tears) was nothing at all compared to what she was throwing away. One of the lessons that the anime teaches is value of life. There are other, deeper and darker, things as well. But I think that last one is basically the main message of the whole movie.

And you don't have to feel sad for the cat and his family :P all of cat soup is more like an art. Its trying to say something, like an abstract painting. I don't see the cats as normal characters. I see them as 'guides'. More like Kino and her Motorrad (if you've seen kino's journey). Something like that... :P
eyerokOct 22, 2009 11:12 PM
Nov 1, 2009 6:16 AM

Sep 2009
to ^

I always interpreted the ending differently, and the whole thing differently. I couldn't quite wrap my head around why the whole family disappeared, but I figured at least the sister did because you can't bring anyone back from the dead.

I get this feeling when I watch the scene in the credits, which really tied everything together for me. In the fantasy journey, they encounter god, and there's this whole theme about turning back time, but the fact that the last scene, the memory of the family on the beach, is so plain, so realistic, that in relative terms, the whole rest of the movie seems like some convoluted delusion, says to me that it was just some emotional escape, a little "what if" to something that is inherently impossible.

The way that one scene (in the credits) kept repeating and repeating struck me as a regretful reminiscence, particularly of a dead loved one because of how obsessive it seemed.
Nov 9, 2009 8:08 PM
Dec 2008
pay much attention to the beginning, it might give you some perspective in regards to the ending. this is obviously not a work that is meant to have some kind of easily interpreted meaning, what makes it so intriguing is that all the scenarios are connected on many different levels, meaning that each experience is bound to be radically different. personally i felt that the ending is connected to the beginning (once again pay close attention) but it is all that cat soup contains that is the meat so to speak, not how it ends
Dec 7, 2009 7:19 AM

Jun 2009
Very good, I couldn't get my stare off the screen. Animation is brilliant! These cats are so cute ^^ . Definitely the best abstract thing I've watched, 'cause it could be understood in 50/50 easy way and it's not about some entangled plot. Surreal thing that shows our everyday truth like: free cheese is only in a mousetrap (be aware); life is interesting, unpredictable and fleeting; we can handle everything if we demonstrate the will; we have animal nature, but it's not the reason to complain -- it's just like that. In general, live your life and don't f*ck your brain (don't expect too much benefits from fortune, better work to get 'em or create 'em).

Also, I'd not call it weird -- watch smth from Ga-nime at first.
Jonnieh said:
My favourite bit was the cloud chicken xD an environmental message maybe? how deep.

Thanx, man, didn't think about it this way. I guess, you're right.
eyerok said:
Remember that scene when time freezes and the brother cat pulls out the frozen tear on the woman's cheek (the one who was trying to kill herself jumping in front of a train), throws it down and breaks it with his feet. She was throwing away something really precious (life)...and her pain (tears) was nothing at all compared to what she was throwing away

"and her pain (tears) was nothing at all compared to what she was throwing away"... have missed it, though it was not so hard to understand. Thank you too.
Dec 17, 2009 1:22 PM

Mar 2009
wow. wtf.
"There are four lights!! THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Dec 18, 2009 12:35 PM

Dec 2008
Wish I could've found a better version to watch. It got a 9 because I couldn't really appreciate the vividness of the colors in some of the more psychedelic scenes.

Loved the "cat soup" part! If something is too good to be true, it probably is! Circle of life when they're on the boat was nice.

Also, I lol'ed when he dove in the elephant's ass.

Feb 13, 2010 2:38 PM

Sep 2009
I watched it on youtube with HQ and Spanish subs so I didn't know some of the things that were said but it doesn't matter cuz there was very little dialogue.
I enjoyed it.

Feb 16, 2010 6:47 AM
Feb 2010
it was i guess intresting or more accurate motivating i think i ll always remeber it because it has a simple definition of life but there is something i didnt get like why was god in a circus and i hope someone points out the meaning of the god cutting what i think is earth and it had blood inside ???
fallingfeathersFeb 16, 2010 9:51 AM
Mar 2, 2010 2:31 PM

Jan 2008
I did not get it. Not for me, so no rating from me.
Did I enjoyed? Not much, since I did not know what to do out of it and the weired stuff which I might imagine is a little different... So there were not much "connection".
I liked animated transitions and fast pace, though (After watching Angel's Egg, I was simply pressed with intensity of Cat Soup ;) )
Mar 6, 2010 4:52 AM
Feb 2010
Very strange and very unique.
Turned out pretty good. Especially when the pig ate itself.
o.o
Mar 14, 2010 6:02 AM
Dec 2008
maybe this means that in that conveys this message and blah blah blah blah blah
Mar 18, 2010 3:50 PM

Nov 2007
I've never seen anime quite like this one. You could watch this one single episode hundred times and still realize something new and interesting every time. Frankly, this is something I've been looking for for years.

I'd give this 10/10 if I wasn't such a prick.
Mar 19, 2010 11:09 AM

Sep 2008
Prayermad said:
maybe this means that in that conveys this message and blah blah blah blah blah

...and yak yak yak :P

best thing about stuff like Cat soup and Angel's Egg: almost every individual would view it in a different way.
eyerokMar 19, 2010 11:17 AM
Mar 20, 2010 6:05 PM

Dec 2009
This anime was definitely inspired by some sort of hallucinogen, my guess is dimethyltryptamine.
Apr 3, 2010 4:45 AM

Jun 2009
Not sure if I quite got it, but it was a very interesting experience.
Apr 5, 2010 1:54 PM

Jun 2009
such an strange and great anime...

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Apr 9, 2010 10:48 AM

Aug 2009
Wow.

That was so... disturbing. I don't get why this is comedy. I didn't laugh once. I was like this: O_O, thirty minutes long.
Apr 9, 2010 11:02 AM

Sep 2008
SamTheNayru said:
Wow.

That was so... disturbing. I don't get why this is comedy. I didn't laugh once. I was like this: O_O, thirty minutes long.

Its called dark comedy for a reason. Besides, you shouldnt be watching it at such a tender age of 15...I mean, this...'thing' could have catastrophic effects on your mind.
nah I'm just pulling your leg... :P
Apr 11, 2010 12:12 PM
Feb 2010
At first I was scared because I knew something was going to happen, but after a while I loosened up and I found it less disturbing and more entertaining than I ever thought it could be. Bloody love it, 9/10
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Metaphor or?

ScreamInAnguish - Jul 23, 2021

4 by ScreamInAnguish »»
Jul 23, 2021 2:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.