Forum Settings
Forums

Law Penalizing Downloaders, Criminalizing Ripping Passes in Japan

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 11, 2012 5:29 PM

Jul 2011
360justin said:
I'm not talking about those shows you troll, I'm saying I stream legally off of crunchyroll your post makes no since ROFL (umad)

Well TOO BAD I AM, and no I am not mad, I just feel smart,

your post... okay subject
makes... verb
no... adjective
since... wait what...?
ROFL.... that is the same as saying your mom at the end of your post.

learn english please
And still proves my point you're a hypocrite ^o-o^

zerotenshigg said:
Sorry j0x for doing this to your thread for this breaking news, I'll stop with this post dealing with the hypocrite and will be the better man and walk away unless something urgent comes to mind.
KryomaticsJul 11, 2012 5:34 PM
Jul 11, 2012 5:33 PM
Sep 2010
zerotenshigg said:
360justin said:
I'm not talking about those shows you troll, I'm saying I stream legally off of crunchyroll your post makes no since ROFL (umad)

Well TOO BAD I AM, and no I am not mad, I just feel smart,

your post... okay subject
makes... verb
no... adjective
since... wait what...?
ROFL.... that is the same as saying your mom at the end of your post.

learn english please
And still proves my point you're a hypocrite ^o-o^
No it does not all I said is that I got hulu plus netflix and crunchyroll, I said I stream legally on those services, I did not say anything else. You are a troll, please think and use common sense before you reply to me again, listen I don't like these laws either but that doesn't mean people can't stop watching things.
Peinuzumaki95Jul 11, 2012 5:40 PM
Jul 11, 2012 5:38 PM
Mar 2011
Hence why the winny trial got Booted out of court it took 2 1/2 years but it happend
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 11, 2012 5:41 PM

Feb 2012
j0x said:
======================================================
NOTE: try reading replies of ap19 on page 2 of this thread he gave a lot of insights about this law and who will be affected too, his a real Japanese that buys legitimate DVD/BluRay to support the anime industry
his well written english replies (very rare for a japanese) can make a lasting impact too

Well I skipped it, but now I read it, and wow. I feel kinda bad now...

I suggest something...

How about making a big anonymous donation to the companies of whatever $ we want, just to show them that we care. Yes, it's still getting stuff for free and paying on some case 1% on the donation, but still, I think it could help?

Just a suggestion.
Jul 11, 2012 6:01 PM

Jul 2011
Ozland said:
j0x said:
NOTE: try reading replies of ap19 on page 2 of this thread he gave a lot of insights about this law and who will be affected too, his a real Japanese that buys legitimate DVD/BluRay to support the anime industry
his well written english replies (very rare for a japanese) can make a lasting impact too

Well I skipped it, but now I read it, and wow. I feel kinda bad now...

I suggest something...

How about making a big anonymous donation to the companies of whatever $ we want, just to show them that we care. Yes, it's still getting stuff for free and paying on some case 1% on the donation, but still, I think it could help?

Just a suggestion.

Just thinking from a Japanese company mindset, they've been dealing with this since fansubbing hit the net, a little donation won't make up for all those years...

What I'm just not sure if they'll allow american companies to license the animes anymore, but that would also mean a lost of business here in america, so hard to say. Without those licenses HorribleSubs wouldn't even get them :/

Btw I'm curious as to how this would affect scanlation groups, as you can always hide an image file in another document...
Jul 11, 2012 6:14 PM

May 2009
Well I don't download I stream which someone said is also still a crime if it is illegal.

:/

All they want is for us to buy their anime and watch it. I mean it doesn't sound hard but you know me personally I just don't have the money to spend on anime like that. When I get a real job I will be buying my anime. It is my goal anyways to order something online.
Jul 12, 2012 9:05 PM

Sep 2008
zerotenshigg said:
Ozland said:

I suggest something...

Just a suggestion.

Just thinking from a Japanese company mindset, they've been dealing with this since fansubbing hit the net, a little donation won't make up for all those years...

Something is always better than nothing. If you say that, what is the value of anyone's buying BDs and related goods?

Besides, Japan is still a very intranational nation that is late in jumping in on the whole globalization/glocalization scheme of modern day politics. American distributing companies finally have the capability of licensing most of the new animes coming out every season, and Fate/Zero was the first TV series to announce their international release on their homepage prior to the initial airing in Japan. This means that Japan was really unaware of the situation for quite a long period of time, and they have just begun to realize what is going on at the global scale. Certainly, young adults and college students in Japan have no clue and aren't concerned about even their own country, let alone the world. Japan is also at fault for not recognizing the magnitude of online piracy, and the Japanese government is still at fault for being stupid about the entire situation.

So, if MAL wants to do a donation effort, feel free to use me as your bridge to the anime companies. It would mean the world to me personally, and I'm sure it would open up various areas of compromise for the anime industry as well.

Just saw this.
zero7090 said:
@ap19 can you please elaborate more on how "ridiculously expensive BD prices x Japanese otaku buyers > # of buyers x lower prices"?
Following economies of scale, shouldnt it be more profitable for high volume sale with low price vs low volume sale with high price?

9988 said:
ap19 said:
I respect CR, FUNi, VIZanime etc., but they are the exceptions. What they're doing will never become the norm

i remember there is a game name Recettear, an Item Shop's Tale - a doujin translated game @ $19.99 on steam and it sold over 100,000.
People said the PC gaming was dead and yet steam revenue grows 200% every year (1 billion US$ in 2010). And it is not exceptional. Just look how iTunes, amazon sale vs CD companies.

The way studio struggling funding their anime with DVD/Bluray sale is the same with the recording industry. The solution for both of them is the same, make something good, price it reasonable and make it accessible.

p/s: i do recommend them to reduce number of mass produced anime and focus on the quality.

Fix your quote tags please.

This isn't your chicken and egg dilemma here. The number of buyers mandate the fluctuation of price levels. Anime companies cannot possibly risk lowering prices from their side, because if they didn't pay, the anime industry would collapse right there. Moreover, because the prices are already so ridiculously high, lowering them a trifle will not bring in more customers; only the same group of core otakus. So, more people have to buy and pay first before prices can be lowered. That is general economy. It is not a matter of choice; anime companies have no choice but to keep the BD costs high, because piracy will always be rampant. Anime companies can never receive the same revenue from online distribution licenses. It's just another one of those inevitable properties of the internet.

For the record, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about pirating. It's ok to pirate as long as you pay what is due. If you're really not in a position to pay, then just be aware of the situation. What I am trying to stress here, is that most are either unaware of the situation or intentionally ignoring it. Perhaps some go to the extent of prevaricating to defend their own petty little pride, which causes more people to pirate on the basis of lies and misunderstandings. Now that is a crime. You can consider this law punishment for unpaid piracy, which is being enforced on the wrong people.

Here's more if you'd like. Former Anime Staff Member Writes About Working Environment
ap19Jul 13, 2012 12:15 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5040721
I'm Japanese, so if you have any questions regarding Japan, feel free to ask.
アメリカ育ちなので、なんか英語に関して質問があれば気軽にどうぞ。
Jul 13, 2012 2:23 AM

Jan 2009
ap19 said:

For the record, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about pirating. It's ok to pirate as long as you pay what is due. If you're really not in a position to pay, then just be aware of the situation. What I am trying to stress here, is that most are either unaware of the situation or intentionally ignoring it. Perhaps some go to the extent of prevaricating to defend their own petty little pride, which causes more people to pirate on the basis of lies and misunderstandings. Now that is a crime. You can consider this law punishment for unpaid piracy, which is being enforced on the wrong people.

yep ill be sure to spread this so that people's awareness will increase
Jul 13, 2012 5:48 AM

Sep 2008
When people try to defend the Anime industry it really boggles my mind, The industry has been nothing but complacent in it's attempts at doing nothing to overcome piracy and only bitching about piracy.

The Music Industry over came Piracy and does fine despite it.
Video Game industry is doing well despite piracy.
The Movie Industry is pulling record numbers, despite piracy.

But all the Anime Industry wants to do is bitch and moan and try to address the effect instead of the cause.

Anime was a fad in west that died in the early 2000s and if Piracy went away tomorrow I highly doubt the Anime industry would see any improvement in DVD sales, Heck the western industry would probably collapse it piracy went away because piracy is probably the only thing keeping anime slightly relevant in the west.

If the Anime Industry really wants to over come piracy why is it not doing everything it possibly can to offer a respectable alternatives to piracy.

Crunchy roll is a half hearted attempt. Why would they not offer simulcast opinions to Netflix, Hulu, PSN or Xboxlive, you know services just about every Westerner in the potential anime market already has?

Sony distributes and produces alot of anime...... yet there are very very very few simulcast options on PSN and even when they do actually offer simulcasts good luck fucking finding it or actually being made aware it's even there. Then on top of that your charged per episode, which you need funds in your PSN wallet to purchase.

The Anime Industry is just lazy and entitled, if their failing fuck um, it's what happens to business who can't be bothered to actually trying to make their product easily available to it's consumer.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 22, 2012 3:35 AM
Jul 2012
I had to register to reply to this thread. I normally just read it to find new anime to watch based on recommendation tags. But anyway ... I have some points to make that are personally relevant in my opinion.

Besides Anime and Manga Conventions, there is no market for anime in the United States. (My country)

I'm not making this up. The customers are there, yes, and we love anime, but there is no advertisement, no sales, and generally no market what so ever. Once or twice a year some random manga or anime artist will show up on the west coast in California, but I don't live in California so why should I care about that?

But that's not really relevant either. The bottom line is that we are not Japanese. We are "weeaboo". We are outcasts. While the Movie, Music and Gaming industries change their business plans and adapt to the internet and ultimately a more globalized market, the Anime Industry sits there wondering why their business isn't expanding. I know what "weeaboo" means, even though I don't speak Japanese.

I know some people might be ticked off at me saying this but let's just think about it for a second. We have companies on the internet like Crunchyroll. Why stop there? Is CR not a business model in it's own right? So why not expand it? Why not take it to the globalized market? Why not encourage private subtitling industries? Why point fingers at fansubbers that subtitle and pirate japanese media? Why are they suddenly obligated to solve the problems of the entire industry?

No they are not obligated. What stops anyone from starting up a subtitle company that works for the network television companies in the USA and Internationally abroad? All this big talk about anime being more than comics and cartoons and yet all the industry does is sit there quietly with their palms in their faces. The japanese guy earlier in the thread said the industry doesn't get money from commercials. Wouldn't coming to the table of globalized networks and satellite industries solve that problem? Start your own Anime Network and sit at the table of major satellite and cable television companies. You think people wouldn't subscribe to that? OF COURSE THEY WOULD. Suddenly you're getting not only subscription money from the people that pay in to the anime channels on sallelite, but you're also getting money from (wait for it) ... COMMERCIALS!!!

Stop alienating the entire world around you and you might find them to be more willing to adapt to the necessary requirements needed to keep the industry afloat. But sitting there beating everyone back with a stick isn't going to magically solve your problems.

And me? I'm just 28. I'm nobody. I don't even have a college degree. So if I can come up with this very easy and simple solution .... why can't they?

Sorry if I sound aggressive but the subject kind of ticks me off. Somehow it's my fault that they are too stupid to make money off their products. BAH
halfchaosJul 22, 2012 3:39 AM
Jul 22, 2012 3:39 AM

Jun 2012
njd09 said:
Well I didn't start downloading anime until way after October 1 and I've been able to download a massive amount of it, so it would appear that we're still good here. I haven't had any trouble finding anything that's airing now. Hopefully that continues in the future.

What do you mean? it ahsnt been october 1st yet xD
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 22, 2012 3:46 AM

Jun 2012
ap19 said:
I hate piracy with a passion, but I am against this law too, for the following reasons.

1) This whole bill was started up by JASRAC and a few other CD companies that have pressured the government saying "The unauthorized streaming of full versions of music on video sites such as youtube and nicovideo have been causing a major decline in CD sales for the past few years." Note that this is a huge lie, because the reason why most Japanese people don't buy CDs anymore is because they are readily available at an insanely cheap price at your local legitimate rental store.

2) Most government officials do not know how to use the internet. They do not know what a torrent is, nor do they know that Japan is pretty much the only country that is financially maintaining the subcultural industry while the rest of the world continues to leech on. The government officials are just masturbating, trying to feel like they're actually doing something, when in fact, they just don't have the ability to do anything about this problem at a global scale.

3) By enforcing this law, the Japanese government is only weakening the Japanese otaku spirit that allows otakus to buy BDs at ridiculously high prices such as 130$ per 2 eps. Unlike most of you all, we, the only actual possible victims of this bill, are basically the only people financially holding the ever decreasing production of anime together. You can expect pretty much all subcultural magnitudes on all vectors from doujin-making to BD-sales plummet if they do indeed start fining people 2000000 yen or imprisoning people for 2 years for watching a simple anime MAD on nicovideo. Note, the upload punishments are quintuple that. If indeed otakus do stop buying these ridiculously expensive BDs, you can be assured that anime companies will be at a loss for production budgets, because these sales dominate their income by far. The world will only be getting less than a dozen new Japanimaton TV series per year then.

4) The definition of "illegal download" is extremely obscure, to the point the bill looks like an elementary school level essay. No one knows exactly what is liable for punishment, and moreover, the main targets, which are the middle/high school students, are totally unaware of this bill/law's existence. I highly doubt the government is going to imprison 90% of the next generation population out of unfounded and inscrutable documentation.

5) On the contrary however, there have been an increasing number of news articles that report arrest for selling, downloading, and uploading on various scales. Obviously, the current number of reports is merely an insignificant portion of the 99% of the cybernetic society that are involved in subcultural fandom, but the government is not exactly inactive in enforcing the current policies, which means October 1st can perhaps mean doomsday for our common knowledge of subcultural fandom.

tl;dr The Japanese government wants Japan to commit suicide. Moreover, it's we, the Japanese residents, who are in trouble; not you foreign leechers.

Yeah i agree with this although im not japanese, but its definitely going to affect the industry in a negative way is what i believe.
Jul 22, 2012 3:53 AM

Apr 2012
halfchaos
You think people wouldn't subscribe to that? OF COURSE THEY WOULD. Suddenly you're getting not only subscription money from the people that pay in to the anime channels on sallelite, but you're also getting money from (wait for it) ... COMMERCIALS!!![/quote said:

You do realize there were several anime channels on TV that were canceled because there wasn't enough viewership. They've tried to have anime on TV several times but all the programming block and all the anime only channels have failed. Anime is a niche market in the west and there just aren't enough viewers to make what you're suggesting viable. Right now in the US Adult Swim is the only anime block that has manged to stay alive at the moment and even them it is a half dead repetitive block of anime because there aren't enough people watch to make it worth licensing new anime.

If there were significant money to be made then the anime industry would have figured it out. They're not going to change their ways until there is real proof that big money can be made from an anime TV network showing new subbed anime but considering its track record that seems unlikely.

As for the bill itself well it might make finding anime on the net harder but it won't stop it. It might slow it down for a while but people will always find a way around it.
Jul 22, 2012 4:13 AM

Jun 2012
Currently im not in a position to buy anime and im certain i am not alone here, it just means that anime will maybe lose popularity in countries outside of japan.
Jul 22, 2012 5:18 AM
Jul 2012
Marius2005 said:
Right now in the US Adult Swim is the only anime block that has manged to stay alive at the moment and even them it is a half dead repetitive block of anime because there aren't enough people watch to make it worth licensing new anime.

They can't market their product, and I feel bad, but I am not obligated to solve their problems. A free market does not consist of obligated consumers. "Adult Swim" isn't a channel. It already had viewers plus cartoon network is on basic television packages. No advertisement or marketing was required. Cartoon Network's business model will not work for an "anime network" type business.

Marius2005 said:
They've tried to have anime on TV several times but all the programming block and all the anime only channels have failed.

This is the first I'm hearing of it and I watch anime all the time. I have never seen any anime networks on a satellite or cable TV subscription package. Ever. And I get that shit listing additional packages in the mail all the time.

A Sushi Bar in Tokyo cannot expand their business to a globalized market without creating new bars, expanding the market regionally, and getting fresh product outside of their original locations. So if a Sushi Bar couldn't do it, then why would Anime succeed?

I think these industry bosses are expecting their product to sell itself, and that isn't going to happen in any market or any industry. If you're not on the list of additional network packages to include in your TV or Satellite subscription(s) then guess what? You're not sitting at the table, and you're not even trying to succeed.

A lot of people in this world like to point fingers and blame anyone and everyone but themselves. Grrr. I'm just going to shut up now.
halfchaosJul 22, 2012 5:27 AM
Jul 22, 2012 5:48 AM

Jan 2012
keep your heads up ladies and gents,

there's always a way around everything :)
Aug 23, 2013 4:40 AM
Aug 2013
This would have affected many people who used to download from torrent
johnkennediAug 23, 2013 4:53 AM
Aug 23, 2013 5:10 AM
Apr 2013
This tread is truly enlightening for me as an anime fan.

And, kudos to ap19 for his/her insightful and well-thought posts regarding the ailing anime industry. A very interesting read.
Aug 23, 2013 5:37 AM
May 2009
This thread is over a year old. and To be honest I've not felt the affect of this bill. I've read people being arrested in Japan over such things. But infact the BDrips are becoming more common.
Aug 23, 2013 5:39 AM

Jun 2009
johnkennedi said:

Totally worth the necro. Or maybe not...
Aug 23, 2013 5:42 AM

Apr 2012
That's the most pointless law alive.
That's not going to stop people from uploading stuff to the net illegally.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 23, 2013 6:10 AM

Apr 2012
The truth is that japanese people are arrogant as hell. And they are way too stiiff. They are trying to sell anime just how they did 30 years ago. They dont want to adapt to the market at all, and for them all of the west are just some insignificant idiots. Honestly I think it is a good thing the anime industry is in a bind. Maybe when they start feeling that knife at their throat, they will sit together and think something up. You cant survive with the same business model you used 30 years ago.

The west may not have many anime fans percentage wise, but I am pretty sure if you would count all of the worlds anime fans except for japans it would be at least 5 times the amount of japanese anime fans. So you have about 5 times more potential customers.
But theese potential customers are lazy ass fucks and they dont want to go to the trouble of Importing Dvds. Hell many dont even want to go to the store to buy Dvds.
Do you even know how many more games I have bought since I use Steam? I had bought about 5 games before now I have over 50. Yes that is an increase of 1000%!!.

Its just way easier to simply sit at home and buy a game then walk to the store. Yes in your opinion we may look like lazy fat pigs but hey its not my problem. It is not my job to do everything to buy anime its the companys job to make me want to do it. And if you want that youd better make it as attractive as possible and as easy as possible.

I would advise the anime industry to not disregard the west. The japanese gaming industry has woken up and they dont regret it at all. Dark Souls was a major success in the West and so were many many other japanese games. And I think the anime industry needs that equivalent to Steam. A place where you can get anime cheap easy and fast. Or streaming site or whatever they come up with, but its time to think of something an stop sitting on that old businesssystem and refuse to adapt.
Aug 23, 2013 6:19 AM
Feb 2012
I was starting to feel nervous about this when I realized the thread's date. Phew~
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 23, 2013 6:41 AM

Jun 2013
Laws only count if they can be enforced.
Aug 23, 2013 6:43 AM

Jul 2011
johnkennedi said:

Good use of your time machine
Aug 23, 2013 6:46 AM

May 2013
Damn 2012. This thread scared me for a while.
Aug 23, 2013 6:46 AM

Oct 2012
When has a copyright law ever actually... affected something?

People need to realize these laws don't do shit. People will always find a way to circumvent things. It's pointless.

EDIT: Read the date wrong (2012 not 2013). That only proves my point further.
Aug 23, 2013 6:50 AM

Jun 2008
johnkennedi said:

http://boards.cannabis.com/attachments/plant-problems/278488d1315662756-they-flowered-already-wtf-necroposting.jpg
Aug 23, 2013 7:17 AM

Apr 2013
flaxman85 said:
keep your heads up ladies and gents,

there's always a way around everything :)

Thread should have ended there.
Nice final post.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Aug 23, 2013 7:59 AM

Apr 2012
I just realised that i put so much thought and effort into a necro-thread. Dang it.
Aug 23, 2013 9:28 AM

Aug 2008
Oh boy, I just love when companies pull numbers out of their asses saying how much they loose because of illegal downloads etc. After all, everyone knows each download is one less CD/BD bought... It's even better than hearing how much economy looses because people take leave around holidays... But neither of it can top stupidity of huge fines and prison for something so insignificant, while society rot because of much more serious matters...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 8 hours ago

21 by AE-2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 8 hours ago

25 by MasterTasuke »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 7 hours ago

13 by Zettaiken »»
7 minutes ago

» Let's Hope the Whole "Girls Golfing" Is A New Thing That Keeps Going...

simonitro - 7 hours ago

6 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

» Why is there no Manga chapters at the top info when Anime have it?

Tongmuan - 12 minutes ago

0 by Tongmuan »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.