Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2012 2:52 PM

Jun 2011
In anime crossdressing is almost always used for comedy in some way, with the greatest reaction being "weird," "freak," "sexual offender." Is this just for the audience and comedic factor or is this how it is actually viewed in Japan? Just wondering.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 19, 2012 2:56 PM

Mar 2012
Looking at this guy:

I don't think they mind it too much. But I can't say for sure.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Apr 19, 2012 3:08 PM

Feb 2010
@shairn, that guy is awesome, don't hate on him :P
LUL
Apr 19, 2012 3:14 PM

Mar 2012
one-more-time said:
@shairn, that guy is awesome, don't hate on him :P
I never said anything about him.
I do admire him though. He has great legs.
Also he's good on the bass.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Apr 19, 2012 3:19 PM

Mar 2011
As far as I know, cross dressing is looked down upon in every society. Of course, many of the people who look down upon people who crossdress would not admit to it, because they believe they are fair and good people. They might say "I don't think badly of cross dressers, but I wouldn't let my son be one".
Apr 19, 2012 3:42 PM

Sep 2009
It depends how good they are at it, I suppose.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 19, 2012 3:46 PM

Mar 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
As far as I know, cross dressing is looked down upon in every society. Of course, many of the people who look down upon people who crossdress would not admit to it, because they believe they are fair and good people. They might say "I don't think badly of cross dressers, but I wouldn't let my son be one".

That quote could be perfectly true. Not letting your son be a cross-dresser is, or at least can be viewed as, a form of protection against the discrimination he would face because of it.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 19, 2012 5:13 PM

Oct 2007
shairn said:
Looking at this guy:

i want to wear that dress
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2012 5:15 PM
Jul 2018
shairn said:
Looking at this guy:

That guy is a freakin boss.
Apr 19, 2012 5:47 PM

Apr 2012
I assume most are outwardly polite and kind to crossdressers, while internally labeling them as freaks and weirdos.
Apr 19, 2012 6:16 PM

Jun 2011
Watch Hourou Musuko. (or Wander Son in English) It's probably the most accurate and realistic portrayal on how crossdressing/gender identity is viewed upon.
Apr 19, 2012 6:18 PM

Mar 2012
LordMorioka said:
I assume most are outwardly polite and kind to crossdressers, while internally labeling them as freaks and weirdos.

That's a step in the right direction at least.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 19, 2012 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
Sanguis said:
Watch Hourou Musuko. (or Wander Son in English) It's probably the most accurate and realistic portrayal on how crossdressing/gender identity is viewed upon.

This, can't find a better anime on the subject
Apr 19, 2012 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
Japan is a really conservative country, I can't imagine they look very positively upon it.
Apr 19, 2012 9:06 PM

Feb 2009
shairn said:
Looking at this guy:

Can't beat the original... (jump ahead to 2:50)

Is there another word for synonym?
Apr 19, 2012 9:21 PM

Jan 2012
i don't even want to think about it. unless ur a gurl :y
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Apr 19, 2012 10:15 PM

Jun 2011
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out.

@noobhunerd why don't you want to think about it?
Apr 19, 2012 10:29 PM

Mar 2012
Probably because he's in the vast, vast majority of people who find cross dressing at least somewhat of an uncomfortable topic.

I find it to be mildly uncomfortable topic myself, although I would do my best to treat someone perfectly equal regardless of how they choose to dress, and would defend them against unnecessary insults, etc.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 19, 2012 10:35 PM

Apr 2012
Why don't we just ask Bon Clay?
Apr 19, 2012 10:43 PM

Jun 2011
@JoshSalas Yeah, it is a really interesting topic. I think you are completely correct about the "vast, vast majority" find it uncomfortable. I think that your view is perfectly fine and great way to approach it. People can't really help what they feel a lot of the time, its how you act on it that really matters.
Apr 19, 2012 10:44 PM

Jul 2010
CaptLuffy said:
Why don't we just ask Bon Clay?

Useless. He is such a freak.
Apr 20, 2012 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
I think people usually tend to not like cross-dressers or the act of cross-dressing itself, but it isn't looked down upon as it was in the past.
Apr 20, 2012 12:26 AM

Jul 2010
I treat cross-dressers like gays: if they dont bother me, I wont bother them. Anyone can do what they want, really, as long as I dont have to associate with them. It just kind of creeps me out. Though, Im not sure why.
I dont know if in Japan they have another mentallity, but I guess a lot of people think the way I do.
Apr 20, 2012 3:45 AM

Feb 2009
There are a lot of different reasons people become cross-dressers, and not all are sexually related or for attention, some don't even consciously realize they are doing it. I've known and been friends with different men who've done it openly in public, to different degrees, as a coping mechanism to deal with an extreme emotional hardship.

One friend began wearing pantyhose, womens shoes, lipstick and earrings after his mother passed.

Another wore lipstick, earrings and eyeshadow after his wife became an invalid due to a car accident he was at fault for.

Just recently, a longtime friend has just started painting his nails and I expect he will do more as the situation worsens. His wife is in the final months of stage 4 cancer, and likely won't make the fall.

2 of the men are mechanics, and 1 is a contractor, none are gay. They don't do it on occasion, they do it everyday as part of their normal routine like shaving or brushing their teeth. The makeup, clothes, and earrings they wear weren't bought by them, they belong to the loved ones they have lost or are losing and it's their way of holding on as tight as they can.
Apr 20, 2012 3:56 AM

Jul 2010
kraz8 said:
There are a lot of different reasons people become cross-dressers, and not all are sexually related or for attention, some don't even consciously realize they are doing it. I've known and been friends with different men who've done it openly in public, to different degrees, as a coping mechanism to deal with an extreme emotional hardship.

One friend began wearing pantyhose, womens shoes, lipstick and earrings after his mother passed.

Another wore lipstick, earrings and eyeshadow after his wife became an invalid due to a car accident he was at fault for.

Just recently, a longtime friend has just started painting his nails and I expect he will do more as the situation worsens. His wife is in the final months of stage 4 cancer, and likely won't make the fall.

2 of the men are mechanics, and 1 is a contractor, none are gay. They don't do it on occasion, they do it everyday as part of their normal routine like shaving or brushing their teeth. The makeup, clothes, and earrings they wear weren't bought by them, they belong to the loved ones they have lost or are losing and it's their way of holding on as tight as they can.

No offense, but these guys should propably see a doctor.
Apr 20, 2012 4:20 AM

Feb 2009
shiroto said:

No offense, but these guys should propably see a doctor.

I don't doubt that some therapy could help them work through some of their pain, but with the cost of psychs around here, the lack of insurance coverage for said docs, and the number of quacks that just want to charge by the hour and the pill, it becomes easier to just live with a condition that will get the occasional stares and under the breath comments, but otherwise not be a major obstacle in living their lives.
Apr 20, 2012 4:44 AM

Feb 2009
I think it all depends on WHY a person is crossdressing.

I suspect a person that is gay has less trouble being gay than a crossdresser being a crossdresser, as I don't recall many homosexual guys wanting to crossdress.

I personally think women dressing in pants is a form of quasi crossdresser simply because they wish to be more like men. And fashion has likely done more to make it ordinary over the decades. I prefer women to wear dresses and skirts and just enjoy being female. It's sad that you often really only regularly see little girls in dresses these days as it is considered 'cute'.

Myself, I have a definite 'problem' in that I have a dual personality hassle in that I am not just one 'me'. My male side does NOT want to wear girls clothing. My female side doesn't consider acting like a girl and dreaming of looking like one to be crossdressing. She cosnsiders being stuck in this old man's body to be hell. If I ever manage to lose the weight it will be her doing. She dreams of being able to wear a skirt on a hot day, but she isn't going to do it in an ugly FAT man's body.

I'm not planning to ever make the effort to genuinely fool anyone, she just wants to feel a bit more female.
But I have never really communicated with any other crossdressers so I have no idea what drives THEIR choices and reasons.
I know this much, I was not born this way. And my female side was not always there. So clearly MY problem is a problem that arose as a result of an external event. But I want her gone as much as I want my son gone. My son was not always in my life, he's someone I created.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 20, 2012 5:08 AM
Mar 2012
^The fuck am I reading.
Apr 20, 2012 6:05 AM

Sep 2008
As always with something that breaks normal social roles, it's accepted by some, and hated by others.
Apr 20, 2012 6:24 AM

Mar 2011
Lesley_Roberta said:

I disagree. Society doesn't see the reasons as to why people cross dress, they see the result, and they'll give their own reasons, which will not be flattering.
Apr 20, 2012 8:50 AM

Mar 2012
shiroto said:
I treat cross-dressers like gays: if they dont bother me, I wont bother them. Anyone can do what they want, really, as long as I dont have to associate with them. It just kind of creeps me out. Though, Im not sure why.
I dont know if in Japan they have another mentallity, but I guess a lot of people think the way I do.

It simply creeps you out because it's not what's supposed to happen, according to your upbringing and general societal norms of course. Not really your fault, and nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion (that being said, it's worth 'working on' to make yourself realize there is nothing creepy about it, which takes time and effort).

Interesting that you wouldn't associate with gay people though, because they don't look/dress any different. It's not like someone could say 'hey, why were you with that gay guy/girl'.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 20, 2012 9:00 AM

Apr 2012
Cross-dressing? pretty much use to it now. cuz i see them all day here o.o
Apr 20, 2012 9:16 AM

Feb 2009
InfiniteRyvius said:
Lesley_Roberta said:

I disagree. Society doesn't see the reasons as to why people cross dress, they see the result, and they'll give their own reasons, which will not be flattering.

I understand what you are saying, and that's why I mentioned, that the homosexual community likes gets less grief than cross dressers, because a homosexual is likely not so much interested in looking other than they look like regardless of what is inside the person.

I can't fully comprehend why guys cross dress 'just for the heck of it'. And I can't comprehend why they go as far as they do.

But for me, it's not so simple. I have a dual personality issue in my life. One is male the other female. I am not sure if conventional multiple personality sufferers suffer with varying genders routinely. I don't consider myself a 'multiple personality disorder' sufferer.

If it comes to pass that I can get my figure to an acceptable level of slimness, my wishing to wear female clothing, will not be in MY mind to be cross dressing, in as much as my female side doesn't see a girl wearing girls clothes to be cross dressing. It's just that my female side is stuck in a male body (something that bothers her a good deal too).

I myself don't care in the slightest what society may or may not think of me in a dress or skirt. Frankly, my only complaint is my opinion of my being fat and in a skirt or dress. I mean, I have been actively observing girls in all the usual attire, and my usual reaction to a lot is normally 'for crying out loud girl, don't you appreciate how bad that outfit looks on that figure?'. It's not just guys that sometimes have no fashion sense or even common sense when itat they comes to what they are wearing.

Soooo in as much as I see what you are saying, I think we all judge everyone to a point. When I see a guy with that baggy pants pants nearly off their butt look, my thoughts are about the same when I see girls in jeans with all sorts of holes in them. 'You look like crap' is my basic response.
I am unlikely to get any nice responses to me in women's clothing. I have no future ever being a 'trap'. Structurally this body is waaaaay to male looking.
I am unlikely go any further than what 'I' want to do to make myself feel more female while entertaining my female half. I couldn't care less if I have no future for being mistaken visually as female.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 20, 2012 11:25 AM

Jul 2010
JoshSalas said:
shiroto said:

It simply creeps you out because it's not what's supposed to happen, according to your upbringing and general societal norms of course. Not really your fault, and nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion (that being said, it's worth 'working on' to make yourself realize there is nothing creepy about it, which takes time and effort).

Interesting that you wouldn't associate with gay people though, because they don't look/dress any different. It's not like someone could say 'hey, why were you with that gay guy/girl'.

Its not because someone could see me with them. I can talk to these people normally if Im required to, I just dont want them to be any closer to me than that. Simply because just thinking about what they do gives me the creeps. I cant really blame my upbringing or society for it; noone ever told me being gay or cross-dressing is bad(actually in modern Germany, you are always told to be open-minded and tolerant as fuck; guess why). Im not religous either, I know people are different, I dont think any less of them, I just dont want to be around them.
Apr 20, 2012 11:32 AM

Mar 2012
No one may have told you that directly, but it was probably implied by everything around you. Also, not wanting to be around them is thinking less of them, that's unavoidable. Imagine if everyone thought the same way as you and no one wanted to be around certain people, obviously they would be stigmatized and thus, treated worse than a 'normal' person.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 20, 2012 12:42 PM

Oct 2009
I have no issues with it, none whatsoever.

It's not harming anyone, and if it makes the person happy then why should it bother anyone else?
Apr 20, 2012 12:47 PM

Jul 2010
JoshSalas said:
No one may have told you that directly, but it was probably implied by everything around you. Also, not wanting to be around them is thinking less of them, that's unavoidable.

I disagree. People I dont like can still be respectable. I dont have to be best friends with everyone, do I? Everyone can make great achievements, no matter who they are, and every living creature deserves respect in my eyes. But that doesnt mean I have to like them personally.
JoshSalas said:
Imagine if everyone thought the same way as you and no one wanted to be around certain people, obviously they would be stigmatized and thus, treated worse than a 'normal' person.

Actually, everyone thinks as I do. We do all live in our small groups we call familiy, friends, or country even. Everyone has people they are more fond of than others. Theres really no need for all of us to get along, if we at least show some respect and tolerance.
Apr 20, 2012 1:04 PM

Mar 2012
That's the kind of idealistic thinking that makes progress in a lot of these social issues slow-going imo, but thank you for your reasonable and coherent responses.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 20, 2012 1:09 PM

Mar 2012
When I think of cross dressing I think of Bon(Mr.2) from one piece. I like him, his sort of character I guess is used for comedy.
Apr 20, 2012 3:24 PM

Mar 2008
The only real reason its used for humor is humor is based on things we arent used to. If you saw a friend of yours randomly cross dress without having done it before i asure you that you might giggle or laugh out pretty loud.

Some cross dressers are in fact "weird" from mental illness. For example the meme dude "Brother Sharp" would occasionally dress as a woman sometimes because he had mental problems and he dressed as one in order to be his own wife. There are a few crossdressers who are fetishists but they are a minority im pretty sure. The vast majority of crossdressers are just people who enjoy the other genders clothes or are transgendered.

I have no real problem with crossdressing but if someone does it randomly with no reason im sure going to tease them just a little but if its really their thing i wouldnt care. Its cool by me.

Also ive seen guys wear manly versions of things considered to be for girls. I once saw a guy with this black skirt dress kilt like thing on and he looked like a badass and i didnt consider it crossdressing because it was made for a man obviously.

Its mostly just religious people and sheeple who make a big deal out of it.

Whats for boys and girls is nothing but a construct of society and you know what? Fuck society.
Apr 20, 2012 3:44 PM

Mar 2012
shairn said:
Looking at this guy:

He's kwaii uguuu
Apr 21, 2012 3:27 PM

Apr 2012
i don't think it's looked upon positively in society, but i, for a fact, do not mind it at all.

Are you familiar with Tissue Hime? If not find him on youtube. So apparently, he, is a he. He hides his face in all videos, so we have no idea of knowing, but I think he also hides his face so people don't start looking down on him...
Apr 21, 2012 3:49 PM

Nov 2011
Yeah, pretty sure it's looked down upon in society. I could care less though as long as they don't try and make some sort of contact with me. A lot of people have their own opinions. If you're doing it to be funny or Halloween or something cool otherwise I
just think "Hey it's their life, let them do whatever makes them happy." The only time where I do care is when it's such a good cross dress that I fall for the trap and then in turn I begin to curse with my fists pointing at the sky pissed at them and God for making me fall for the trap and feeling dirty.

Happened to me before on the city bus.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 21, 2012 4:49 PM

May 2010
can find them on K road at night.
Apr 21, 2012 6:34 PM

Jun 2011
I think a lot of people aren't aware that crossdressing gives no indication of sexuality. Just because someone cross dresses doesn't mean they are homosexual, and it doesn't mean they want to be the opposite gender. Of course, sometimes it is true, but often it isn't. That being said, I'm very please at the feedback this thread has gotten, and i appreciate everyone's input :) I think it is very interesting how it makes people very uncomfortable, yet in anime it almost always has a humous element to it.
Apr 21, 2012 7:08 PM

Mar 2012
I woke up as a cross-dresser.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 22, 2012 1:39 PM

Mar 2012
AnnoKano said:
It depends how good they are at it, I suppose.

lol xD
Apr 22, 2012 7:52 PM

Mar 2008
wherearethestars said:
I think a lot of people aren't aware that crossdressing gives no indication of sexuality. Just because someone cross dresses doesn't mean they are homosexual, and it doesn't mean they want to be the opposite gender. Of course, sometimes it is true, but often it isn't. That being said, I'm very please at the feedback this thread has gotten, and i appreciate everyone's input :) I think it is very interesting how it makes people very uncomfortable, yet in anime it almost always has a humous element to it.

Yeah there is

Sexuality (sexual interest )
Gender Identity (male, female, genderqueer)
Gender Expression (boy clothes, girl clothes, androgynous)
Body Expression (i guess tats what its called but its what their body is physically)
Born sex (sex born into)

all that stuff gets confusing
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.