Forum Settings
Forums

what do you think about the live action dragonball movie

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 31, 2009 10:19 AM

Mar 2009
I've heard nothing but bad things, I havent followed the manga/anime so theres no legacy to spoil with me. I'll give it a shot. It did well at the box office in asia and I saw an interview with James Marsters today saying he'd like to make SEVEN more movies.

Personally I hope it bombs so hollywood will leave my favorite anime alone, I'm dreading the Cowboy Bebop live action movie. *shudder*
See You Space Cowboy
Mar 31, 2009 10:27 AM

Nov 2008
I.... wha... m-m-m-m-m-my childhood! Gone! My childhood, torn from my soul in a matter of 84 minutes with an extra 14 minutes and 34 seconds of advertisements! W-...why!

*cries*

NOTE: I am a legitimate (meaning usually on-topic and polite) hit-and-run poster. Do not expect me to reply to your reply to my reply.
Mar 31, 2009 11:12 AM

Aug 2007
FullmetalIan said:
I've heard nothing but bad things, I havent followed the manga/anime so theres no legacy to spoil with me. I'll give it a shot. It did well at the box office in asia and I saw an interview with James Marsters today saying he'd like to make SEVEN more movies.

Personally I hope it bombs so hollywood will leave my favorite anime alone, I'm dreading the Cowboy Bebop live action movie. *shudder*

There is no way you could spoil yourself by watching it anyway. Its completely different and filled with shit.
Apr 1, 2009 5:22 PM

Jan 2009
Big no no D:
Apr 1, 2009 5:48 PM

Jul 2008
FullmetalIan said:
I saw an interview with James Marsters today saying he'd like to make SEVEN more movies.

When I read this, my mind stopped. I think is was a response to the fact that this guy hasn't been punched in the face yet.
Apr 1, 2009 7:14 PM

Jan 2008
AlecPyron said:
I gonna watch it for the lolz.

But seven....is too much. We only need 1 DB movie.

Banner made by suikka
Apr 1, 2009 7:29 PM

Dec 2008
AlecPyron said:
I'm going to watch it, then kill myself.
Apr 1, 2009 7:37 PM

Jan 2009
panda_general said:
AlecPyron said:
I gonna watch it for the lolz.

7 are you serious?
Oh dear god..-_-
Apr 2, 2009 3:40 AM

May 2008
panda_general said:

And that one is too much >.>
The movie should be called "an eyefuck for which the inspiration came from once cult anime Dragon Ball and shares a slight resemblance (exclude the quality, story or anything positive)"
Apr 2, 2009 4:14 AM

Feb 2008
No,
dont even joke about some more sequel to this movie,

unless they decide to correct the story and follow the original.
Apr 2, 2009 4:27 PM

Jun 2008
Ugh, it looks so bad I am not going to even waste my time with it!
Apr 3, 2009 6:27 AM

Feb 2008
Is it out yet? I can't wait to inflict pain upon my elitist prejudice towards American adaptations.
Apr 3, 2009 6:36 AM

Feb 2009
Nijo said:
panda_general said:

And that one is too much >.>
The movie should be called "an eyefuck for which the inspiration came from once cult anime Dragon Ball and shares a slight resemblance (exclude the quality, story or anything positive)"

we only need one movie but one good movie, not this crap
"Never exaggerate your faults. Your friends will see to that."
Apr 3, 2009 11:59 AM

Oct 2007
i'll wait to see it once its in my local red box. may not be worth the $1, but drunk, could be good
Apr 4, 2009 6:05 AM

Oct 2008
Seeing it on Tuesday for the lulz. Not expecting much but I'll probs find it enjoyable (I'm one of those people that loved the transformers movie XD). Unfortunately nobody I know wants to go with me (probably for good reasons).

Apr 4, 2009 8:17 AM

Feb 2005
Think?

I though we weren't supposed to be thinking when watching this.
Apr 4, 2009 9:04 AM

May 2008
Thorro said:
Seeing it on Tuesday for the lulz. Not expecting much but I'll probs find it enjoyable (I'm one of those people that loved the transformers movie XD). Unfortunately nobody I know wants to go with me (probably for good reasons).

Shit! You're actually gonna give cash for that piece of crap???
God invented Internet for sole purpose of stopping us from spending money on this kind of things...
Apr 4, 2009 12:29 PM

May 2008
Thorro said:

Apr 4, 2009 12:36 PM

Aug 2008
wait this garbage is out already?
Apr 4, 2009 12:49 PM

Jul 2008
gswelcome said:

Been out in Japan for almost a month now. One of my friends caught the English dub over there and it's apparently worse than you could ever have imagined/wished for. I totally plan to watch the comedy of the century at a midnight showing if I can.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 4, 2009 1:02 PM

Aug 2008
i'm reading an interview with James Marsters and he claims the movie follows the source material. that he is a fan of DB and DBZ himself. i really don't know what to say about this...
Bakayaro said:
gswelcome said:

Been out in Japan for almost a month now. One of my friends caught the English dub over there and it's apparently worse than you could ever have imagined/wished for. I totally plan to watch the comedy of the century at a midnight showing if I can.

i was afraid of this...

i'm reading an interview with James Marsters and he claims the movie follows the source material. that he is a fan of DB and DBZ himself. o.O
Apr 4, 2009 1:24 PM

Jul 2008
Yeahhhh... I heard that as well, but when you have actors pronouncing Goku as Gookoo, I'm fairly sure that you can't expect much of this.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 4, 2009 2:31 PM

Aug 2008
The bet the Dragons wonder when people will finaly leave their balls alone...
Apr 4, 2009 8:37 PM

Apr 2008
<pirate>Argh, I'm goin to me bay to aquire this barnicle incrusted piece of rubbish that even Davy Jones threw back. I won't compensate the scurvy dogs who produced this thing. Argh </pirat>
Apr 4, 2009 8:46 PM

Jan 2008
It's gonna be really horrible. Like what is this!? Huh?
Apr 5, 2009 1:07 AM

Feb 2009
The only thing that I'm interested to see from this movie is what the box office results will be on the opening weekend when this movie is released in the US.
I see the world how it is... in shades of gray. Nothing is totally clean... or totally dirty! - Majeh

Apr 5, 2009 7:15 AM
Aug 2007
Majeh-Sama said:
The only thing that I'm interested to see from this movie is what the box office results will be on the opening weekend when this movie is released in the US.

Haa, same here xD
Apr 5, 2009 7:17 AM

Dec 2008
Quanta said:
<pirate>Argh, I'm goin to me bay to aquire this barnicle incrusted piece of rubbish that even Davy Jones threw back. I won't compensate the scurvy dogs who produced this thing. Argh </pirat>

its not even worth wasting some of your bandwidth
Apr 5, 2009 8:52 AM

Jun 2008
Even Master Roshi - Bulma hentai could be better than this garbage.
Apr 5, 2009 4:38 PM

May 2008
OH MY GOD!!! O.O
Gotta find that one nao!

But Roshi in live action is 30 years old,that fails :(
Apr 5, 2009 4:52 PM

Dec 2008
I honestly don't have any hope for it to be good, and i really hope Roger Moore gives a review for it in the newspaper........Sorry thats my opinion. :(
Apr 5, 2009 4:53 PM

Apr 2008

Apr 6, 2009 12:38 AM

Feb 2009
Syb3rStrife said:
http://www.youtube.com/v/XRTo_B3VTYc&rel=1&rel=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/XRTo_B3VTYc&rel=1&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

lol great find. Piccolo's reaction to the movie was priceless. XD
I see the world how it is... in shades of gray. Nothing is totally clean... or totally dirty! - Majeh

Apr 6, 2009 1:52 AM

Nov 2008
Flibbertigibbet said:
It'll probably become a cult classic, but only because it'll be hilariously awful.

The same ^^'
Apr 6, 2009 4:46 PM

Oct 2007
Geez..how many people here have actually seen it?
I just got back from previewing it (I work at a cinema) before it's release in the UK on Friday, and I have to say I loved it.

It isn't close to the manga/ anime, but that would only ever please the fans and since most anime fans download anyway, box office revenue wouldn't get them far.
They have managed to keep enough Dragonball to please fans while making it more accessible for the general public.
It's got the Dragonball spirit, with plenty of laughs, some awesome fight scenes and the characters work out pretty well.
Goku is still innocent and child-like at times and the change into a teenager probably makes him a little more relatable than a happy-go-lucky forest-dweller.
There are little nods to the series that true fans can enjoy picking up on and it isn't all hopeless. It had dragonballs that grant a wish, it has namek and oozaru mentioned, and is set in a very dragonball world. Capsule Corp looks awesome...

The only faults were that Piccolo should have got more screen time, it should be a longer film and it needs a little more backstory but I hope the fanboys get off thir high horses and see the film so it can have a sequel and get me my Vegeta XD
But seriously, don't write it off. It was so much fun to watch!

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Apr 6, 2009 6:15 PM

Nov 2007
Apr 7, 2009 5:15 AM

Oct 2007
Well, if the movie proves popular they may release a movie based on DBZ. But that is only if people cast aside any prejudice about the film and ignore the rumour mill, and actually go see it for the piece of entertainment it is.

Seriously, James Marsters was write, they do follow source material to some degree, but it is an adaptation, not a word for word remake of the manga/anime.
Tis an interesting interpretation that I think would appeal to a wide audience, yet it still keeps silly anime things in, which makes it quirky.

I urge people to go give it a try, as it is so much fun. The trailers left me feeling a bit worried since they imply a lot of changes, but the trailers were misleading. It was very, very good.
My boyfriend was super sceptical, but I made him come along to watch it with me, and he thought it was brilliant.
It is the right balance of Dragonball and mainstream. :)

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Apr 7, 2009 11:47 AM

Feb 2008
Yet another great show turned into a horrible movie...just like the others.

Apr 7, 2009 12:58 PM

Aug 2007
cabbit-chan said:
Well, if the movie proves popular they may release a movie based on DBZ. But that is only if people cast aside any prejudice about the film and ignore the rumour mill, and actually go see it for the piece of entertainment it is.

Seriously, James Marsters was write, they do follow source material to some degree, but it is an adaptation, not a word for word remake of the manga/anime.
Tis an interesting interpretation that I think would appeal to a wide audience, yet it still keeps silly anime things in, which makes it quirky.

I urge people to go give it a try, as it is so much fun. The trailers left me feeling a bit worried since they imply a lot of changes, but the trailers were misleading. It was very, very good.
My boyfriend was super sceptical, but I made him come along to watch it with me, and he thought it was brilliant.
It is the right balance of Dragonball and mainstream. :)

Goku in highschool is enough to say it's crap.
Apr 7, 2009 3:37 PM

Oct 2007
Well, that is a bit of a narrowminded thing to say. He isn't actually shown in high school for that long.
It's kinda like saying "I'm not going to watch that Dragonball Z anime because it has filler in it"

But nevermind. If you don't want to see it, it is your loss. ;)

Now a club on MAL too!

Apr 7, 2009 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
cabbit-chan said:
Well, that is a bit of a narrowminded thing to say. He isn't actually shown in high school for that long.
It's kinda like saying "I'm not going to watch that Dragonball Z anime because it has filler in it"

But nevermind. If you don't want to see it, it is your loss. ;)

I think you mean it's my gain.
Apr 7, 2009 4:32 PM

Sep 2008
I saw a commercial and lol'd.
This'll probably be as good as most of the stuff coming out atm.
Apr 7, 2009 6:52 PM

Jun 2008
Our American movie industry is for the most part messed up.
DBZ definitely goes into the WTF have they done category.
Aug 2, 2009 5:10 PM

Dec 2008
I don't think something that style should be attempted as a live action.
EVER
Aug 2, 2009 6:42 PM

Jun 2009
I saw the commercial and i didn't like it...
The anime is soo much better.
Aug 3, 2009 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
I didn't like the movie at all..It was too short, bad animation, bad concept,the completely changed it from the anime :( ,,,And bad bad jokes..when my father watched it with me he thought I've lost half of my IQ.."why the hell is my son watching this crap" lol
"You may be able to draw very well, but if you don't know how to write a script you will always be just an illustrator. Even with the help of a scriptwriter, if you can't make good layouts (staging, composition), you will never be a manga author."

By : Rumiko Takahashi, author of Inuyasha.
Aug 3, 2009 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
I like nothing about the movie.
I think screwed up the movie. And imagine the number of fans complaining about it.
Plus, the storyline is so ruined that they got to rush at the end.
In conclusion, this movie just doesn't make sense at all.
With a pathetic 1.5 hours....
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.