Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 12, 2014 1:04 AM

Nov 2013
Ugh Ren naked...I think I might have wet myself from the sexyness...

At first I didn't understand why that girl wanted to kill her mom until I realized that she thought that her mother murdered her father.

Nice to see we finally learned something about Ren's past as he's my favorite character in the show ♥

Amazing episode. Probably my favorite one this season. Loved it how much screentime Ren got in this episode.

Oct 12, 2014 1:06 AM

Nov 2013
disco said:
the mother is the true idiot here. what kind of dumbass kills themself for.. well, absolutely no reason at all?!! i really don't see WHY she had to do it, AT ALL. it was just an excuse for more angst.

completely nonsensical twist.
She was afraid her daughter would pull the string then the daughter would be sent to hell after she died.

Oct 12, 2014 1:08 AM

Nov 2013
flaxman85 said:
naked ren killed the episode for me

gay/10
Fag. Naked Ren is the sexiest dude in existence.

Jan 9, 2015 1:17 AM

Jun 2013
Stupidity galore. By jumping off that bridge she ensured that her daughter will go live with the old hag who was shown to be an alcoholic and will most likely just waste all the money, real estate, and possessions that girl will inherit (was probably her goal to begin with).

*Captain Picard facepalm*
Sep 29, 2015 9:53 AM

Aug 2014
What an episode. I was literally on my edge of my seat the entire time. The little girl ended up being an obnoxious little shit so I didn't really feel sorry for her.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 3, 2016 10:25 AM

Aug 2012
This episode was full of suspense! I love Ren! Just because they serve Ai doesn't mean they don't have a mind of their own, emotions and all! That's what makes this season better than the first.
This stupid, ignorant little girl.. This episode is so twisted, the mother didn't deserve that at all!
She was just trying to protect herself and her dumb child. I don't understand why she jumped tho :/
Mar 24, 2016 7:05 PM

Jan 2014
Good episode.
Nice knowing more about Ren.
Mar 27, 2016 11:19 AM
Aug 2012
Ren's backstory is so deep...he had killed someone he loved in his katana form and the fact that Enma saved him by giving him a human form has some moving taste for me. But kids are so shallow^ trying to kill their parent without knowing everything ^ they just jump to false conclusions which are undoubtedly facts for them- that's so sad/
plus saying that they three are like familiy or lovers is so heartwarming ^^
Aug 8, 2016 7:58 PM

Jan 2008
Predseln said:
What a dumb mother, ...

now her daughter could eventually end up at that grandmas place!?

At the end she chose to salve her conscience(because of the sin to kill her husband) over letting her daughter grow up in a place were atleast one parent is alive!

... in some way she really deserves to be in hell.

You're missing the point of her death though. She killed herself so her daughter wouldn't pull the string - if her daughter did then the daughter would eventually end up in hell and that's even worse.
Nov 20, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2014
SMH y'all. As long as the mom was alive, the kid had a chance to go to hell. but when the object of your vengeance dies, the contract is cancelled. the mom killed herself so the kid wouldn't go to hell smh
Xtina is my mother!
May 7, 2017 3:49 AM

May 2015
The ending felt like it was tragic just for tragedy sake. The daughter already had a change of heart during the hug.
Jun 29, 2017 12:31 PM

May 2015
So ren was a sword. Nice.

Poor girl. Poor mother.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 12, 2017 6:04 PM
Mar 2016
wow i love ren, also he definitely looks like the sword type
Oct 1, 2017 12:37 AM
Aug 2016
I saw comments about the daughter has change in her decision in pulling the string but the mother doesnt know. Just like how every brat(esp girls) in JS doesnt practice communication and how every parent doesnt tell their kids the truth. I was told by my mum my dad doings when i was 4. I know what she is talking but not the impact it brought me.

Back to topic, the daughter might seems to look like she accepts the truth but the mother dont know if she really understand the actual truth. Kids emotion always fructuate, esp teens. Thats why the mum has do it before the daughter change her mind again. Moreover, the mum did murder someone and the guilt might have given a certain amount of pressure.

Lastly, hell companions only protects clients, not stopping clients decision of using hell link. Last few episodes goes like this..
The old man in the house is dead, no point for the client (not a client anymore) to kill himself over a dead man. And it impacts wanyuudou in the past thus he stop the truck.

The nerd did not pull the string so she is no longer a client. Hone Onna acts on her emotion and once again help her to send hell request.

In this episode, brat is the client, Ren did not save the mother, he only close brat eyes and push her away so she wont end up jumping off the bridge.

Thats is my theory:

Hell companions can interfere when they are protecting clients safety. They cannot save or say anything that will decide the outcome.
Nov 2, 2017 6:25 AM

Sep 2012
Predseln said:
What a dumb mother, ...
Aztique said:
I really didnt like the mom comitting suicide :( overall just a sad but beautiful episode nonetheless. nice to know of ren's background!
figure8life said:
sad sad ending, why did the mother have to kill herself
disco said:
the mother is the true idiot here. what kind of dumbass kills themself for.. well, absolutely no reason at all?!! i really don't see WHY she had to do it, AT ALL. it was just an excuse for more angst.

Toua said:
disco said:

Agree with everything. It was just a twist for the sake of having a twist.

Also, despite all the thoroughly depressing things in this series, it's nice to see that Ai and her helpers all care for each other.
Florete said:
ConfusedPerson said:
There was no real reason for the mother to kill herself. She said "You don't have to go to hell too. It would make me so sad," then the daughter was starting to realize her mother's true feelings. When the mom was about to jump off, the daughter said "Mom, don't! Mom!" -Reaching out arm- At that point, I don't think she would have pulled the string.

If the mom had just stood there a bit to let it all sink in, the daughter would probably be like "I'm so sorry mom! I misunderstood everything!" blah blah

Exactly. How are people not seeing this? By the time the mom actually killed herself, the daughter looked pretty unlikely to actually pull. This dumb twist had such weak logic behind it.

And while Ren's background was kinda cool to see, they made it look like it was supposed to connect to the case in the present time of the episode...which it didn't. Why was Ren so invested in this case?

I am not impressed with this season so far.

well she did it cause her daughter wanted to pull the string (that she hated her) & so she did it to save her daughter from hell, the way the girl acted any parent would think she hates them

its the girls own fault whatever happens next even if she ends up with that bitch grandmother, she made mother think that she hates her

Moonfrost said:
figure8life said:
sad sad ending, why did the mother have to kill herself

Probably so that she'll prevent her daughter from pulling the string because if the person you want to send to hell dies, then the contract with Enma would get cancelled.

Sad episode indeed. Poor mother and her daughter. :(

at least some1 got the point

toneytigre said:
That little bitch was willing to send her mother to hell over the possibility of not being able to live with her grandma? A loving single mother working long hours to put food on the table for her, willing to sacrifice everything for her in a blink of an eye, that little twerp didn't know how good she had it until she lost it. Well, its sad; but she brought it upon herself.

If Ren would have saved to mother at the last moment, the daughter would have realized what she almost lost and it would have been a happy ending. Oh well.
Lulexiaa said:
THAT DAUGHTER AGGRAVATED ME SO MUCH!!!! -_____________-

Her mom sacrificed her FUTURE and ETERNITY just so that her daughter can live a happy life and now the daughter wanted to kill her mom! -_______-
What a stupid little brat!! >:OOOOOO

but anyway, I love Ren.. ;~;

that bitch grandmother lied & said mother killed father without telling her what type of scum her father was & u blame the daughter?

Lenya said:
QQ'd a bit at this ending...I also hoped that he would somehow save her at the last moment, or she would somehow survive...
Stupid kid though, but i really blame the grandmother for lying as she did.

This

GarLogan78 said:
I also don't get why people are misunderstanding the "twist" ending. The mom killed herself because her daughter was going to pull the string. The mom did not want her daughter going to hell, so she killed herself.

What I don't understand however, is why you are allowed to send someone to Hell who has already been condemned to end up there.

i guess they don't pay attention

good question, while ago it was mentioned that the person who send some1 in hell are immune & half to w8 until they die to get hell & new this, i guess writers messed up

Uiriamu_Busujima said:
All y'all niggas be wrong. It wasn't the moms fault or even the daughter it was the grandmother because she brainwashed the little girl in believing her mom was a bad person and her father a saint

True
Sugram22Nov 2, 2017 7:05 AM
Nov 2, 2017 6:40 AM

Sep 2012
CardcaptorKitty said:
WOWWWWW! This is my favorite episode ever. I liked Ren before, but I LOVE REN now, holy crap. <333

Huh, after reading through the posts, it's interesting how people blame either the mother or the daughter for what happened. I blame the dad, honestly. He drove the mother to desperation, causing the mother to cover up her horrible, shameful secret from her daughter that she wanted to protect... and the daughter misunderstood thanks to the meddling of her grandmother. So my thought is that the mother killed herself to atone for what she did, knowing she was going to go to hell anyway, but preventing from ever giving her daughter the chance to send herself to hell. She knew it was unforgivable, and she wanted to protect her daughter no matter what happened, whether it be from her father or the thoughts she had of sending her mother to hell no matter what, even if it meant going to hell when she died herself. No parent wants to see their child go to hell over something they did in the first place.

Otherwise, badass Ren was a katana?! Freaking epic. I guess I have a thing for objects coming to life. I loved that even though he was an object and felt helpless being used all the time to do whatever his owner chose, this time he kind of made an impact on what was going on. And that this had some serious background to it, including a previous Jigoku Shoujo pulling the string moment. Really, really cool.

I honestly thought Ren was going to grab the woman by her leg, but I suppose what will happen will happen, and Ren did the best thing for that girl by shielding her eyes and making her look away. My mouth flew open and my hope that this would be resolved for once collapsed like a ton of bricks.

But I squeed big time when Ren admitted that Hone Onna and Wanyuudou felt like family. WAHHHH, that was a great moment with the three of them right there.

All in all, my favorite episode Jigoku Shoujo has thrown at me yet!!
Animefanx3 said:
So sad, the daughter misunderstood everything :(

she did not misunderstand anything, that bitch grandmother lied & said mother killed father without telling her what type of scum her father was
Nov 2, 2017 7:07 AM

Sep 2012
UnculturedWhitey said:
...why are they yelling at him for getting "too involved"? What about the lady from the episode just prior? Along with all the other times she did so.

Poor guy just can't catch a break.

its against the rules of the job to save some1 life specially a marked for hell person
Nov 2, 2017 7:09 AM

Sep 2012
blupengu said:
the one thing i don't understand actually is why ai accepted the girl's request in the first place... it didn't seem like the girl actually hated her mom that much... i thought they needed really strong emotions for it to work ._.
guess teenage angst is stronger than i thought XD

ofc at firs she hated her cause grandmother feed her lies & also said she killed ur father without telling her that he was violent scum
Nov 2, 2017 7:12 AM

Sep 2012
MoeXtreme said:
Stupid daughter who doesn't realize how much her mother cared for her and decides to banish her to hell just because she heard that her mother killed her father without know much about him.

Stupid mother who doesn't talk to her daughter about her father even when she saw that doll and then rushed to kill herself, it shows how much she loves her daughter but still she still could talk to her about it.

Stupid abnormal people everywhere in this show.

Wanyuudou interfered the case two episodes ago by turning into a fire wheel saving that girl from being rape and Hone Onna interfered a bit with the previous episode and so why are they stop Ren from interfering with this one?
lunarsensitive said:
MoeXtreme said:

Wanyuudou interfered the case two episodes ago by turning into a fire wheel saving that girl from being rape and Hone Onna interfered a bit with the previous episode and so why are they stop Ren from interfering with this one?

Exactly. Also the time Wanyuudou saved that truck from falling off the road. And that Kikuri girl is always pulling shit. This show contradicts itself so badly.

i agree about the ppl in this ep

about Ai's team
they may interfere in a certain lvl, but they are not allowed to save a life unless its a customer that has the toll or called them & they just haven't gotten the toll to him or her yet
Jan 11, 2018 11:28 AM

Oct 2015
The daughter was dumb as fuck, and the mom wasn't much better with that stupid suicide -_-

But man do I love ALL the main characters of this show (which is rare)! And Wanyuudo trying to spank Kikuri cracked me up :')
Oct 9, 2018 11:54 PM

Aug 2010
Definitely one of the better episodes of the show, although on the flip side, I can guess we won't have another episode without someone pulling the string for like the next 26 episodes huh?
Jun 7, 2019 9:57 PM

Jun 2017
Damn what a sad episode.

Atleast I got a bit of back story from Ren.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Aug 30, 2019 7:06 AM
Oct 2015
disco said:

She did that to prevent her daughter from pulling the string she wants her daughter to go to heaven
Aug 30, 2019 7:08 AM
Oct 2015
It's nice to see AI talks to the mom, I guess Ai still has her emotions, she talks to her clients but ignores the recipients of revenge
Jan 20, 2020 6:05 PM
Feb 2019
Christ, reading the first page of comments basically made me lose a few brain cells. Are we really watching the same anime? As if everything in this episode could not be explained better.

The mother committing suicide is definitely not necessary, but understandable, the reasons for her doing so has already been explained, I'll make a tldr for you: she doesn't want her low IQ daughter to get sent to hell for a very dumb shit reason. If you have an issue with that I suggest rewatching the whole episode or just drop the series since it's not something that you can expect to just sit back and relax.

Any person with common sense should be able to tell who's the biggest idiot in this arc, and aye as someone already stated above, kiddos in this series are really annoyingly dumb.
Jan 30, 2021 4:48 AM

Mar 2019
Amazing episode. The story that was told in this and the ending, though the mom was kind of dumb. If you want happiness for your daughter, don't kill yourself. Also Ren's backstory was the highlight of this episode. Never expected him to be a weapon that got turned in a human, interesting. Nice wholesome moment at the end as well.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 18, 2021 1:59 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
This is one surprisingly wholesome episode.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Sep 18, 2021 2:01 PM

Apr 2020
Really liked this episode. Sadly no real happy ending to this story but I loved Ren's backstory.
Sep 6, 2022 5:16 PM

Jan 2020
One of the best episodes, really great seeing Ren's backstory, at least until the ridiculous twist at the end.
It was so unecesary and stupid for the mother to kill herself.

I get what they were going for, she did not want to her daughter to pull the string, so she killed herself before she could. The problem is that the daughter already realized that her mother loved her, before the suicide, which has it come across as emotionally scarring the daughter for no reason.

Honestly, they should have either have it end there with the daughter understanding her mother, which would finally show rather than tell how much of a burden the knowledge of being sent to hell by the end of the life is.

Or if they wanted the mother to die, have the daughter accidentally pull the string or in a heavy fit of emotion, but have the mother kill herself to exploit some sort of loophole. Since she died before Hell Girl could banish her to hell, the covenant is negated and her daughter does not have to go to hell.

Either way would have worked just fine and would have displayed the same theme in a much more sensible fashion.
No Blood. No Bone. No Ash.
Nov 12, 2022 5:48 PM
Dec 2017
geekfreak17a said:
Why are kids so fucking stupid in this as well as the adults

everyone in this series is really idiotic 0 exceptions

Dec 19, 2022 10:24 AM

Oct 2014
Crow_Black said:
geekfreak17a said:
Why are kids so fucking stupid in this as well as the adults

everyone in this series is really idiotic 0 exceptions

true, this series takes number one spot for dumbass characters
May 4, 2023 4:31 PM

Sep 2017
Whet the hell was the grandma even seeking
خ
May 7, 2023 8:51 AM

Sep 2012
u ppl expect 2much from a child this young

ofc she is dumb look at her age 

after this i was expecting to see her in future abs another person who is trying to stop ppl from pulling the string but they didn't do it

Sugram22May 7, 2023 8:54 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 18, 2008

66 by Violet_Midnight »»
Yesterday, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MEGATRON - Jul 23, 2008

64 by Violet_Midnight »»
Apr 20, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 30, 2008

64 by nrrc102 »»
Dec 4, 2023 12:21 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

so_addictive - Apr 22, 2008

85 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 26, 2023 10:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 8 Discussion

figure8life - Jul 20, 2009

46 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 24, 2023 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.