Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 30, 2008 10:29 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting turn of events. A bit of back story of Ren. He used to me a Katana...
Nov 29, 2008 4:45 PM

Jun 2008
Dude, terribly sad ending. Well Ren was able to keep the girl from watching her mom die at least. But shit that's hard to go through so young.
Feb 7, 2009 8:14 PM
Oct 2007
I'm actually shedding tears this season unlike the last, wow. And Ren, I knew he'd say family. He's totally awesome, not as much as Ai, but still awesome.
Mar 27, 2009 9:03 PM

Feb 2009
Awww!! i loved Ren at this ep! a katakana? wow!! and kikuri, so mean asking those questions!!!

yeah i do think he said family!!!

Apr 20, 2009 3:10 AM

Dec 2008
What a dumb mother, ...

now her daughter could eventually end up at that grandmas place!?

At the end she chose to salve her conscience(because of the sin to kill her husband) over letting her daughter grow up in a place were atleast one parent is alive!

... in some way she really deserves to be in hell.
Jul 5, 2009 3:08 AM

Feb 2009
I really didnt like the mom comitting suicide :( overall just a sad but beautiful episode nonetheless. nice to know of ren's background!
Jul 13, 2009 2:47 PM

Jan 2008
I love depressing moments...
Jul 24, 2009 10:16 PM

Jul 2008
sad sad ending, why did the mother have to kill herself
Sep 26, 2009 6:41 PM

Aug 2009
figure8life said:
sad sad ending, why did the mother have to kill herself

Probably so that she'll prevent her daughter from pulling the string because if the person you want to send to hell dies, then the contract with Enma would get cancelled.

Sad episode indeed. Poor mother and her daughter. :(
Jan 15, 2010 8:23 PM

Nov 2009
yes!!! i love ren hes sooo super special awesome!!! i feel so bad 4 him!!! he had 2 do all those horrible things with out getting a word on what HE wanted!!! poor him... and i also feel bad 4 the girl... but at least she didnt have 2 go 2 hell X3
Feb 10, 2010 5:22 AM
Aug 2009
The daughter was a fucking idiot...GOD SHES A FUCKING IDIOT...Why the fuck dont u atleast do some research before doing that...IT WAS ALL HER FAULT...DUMB FUCK
Feb 15, 2010 5:04 PM
Oct 2009
Awesome episode, one of the best of the series. When the mother jumped while saying "be happy".. damn, her daughter is truly a <insert insult>, now she's going to live with her stupidity forever.
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
May 28, 2010 7:08 PM

Mar 2010
the mother is the true idiot here. what kind of dumbass kills themself for.. well, absolutely no reason at all?!! i really don't see WHY she had to do it, AT ALL. it was just an excuse for more angst.

completely nonsensical twist.
Jul 30, 2010 4:40 AM

Jun 2008
aah finally we got to know something about Ren's background :3 He's soo awesome.

Well, the mother was a really dumb one...
Aug 26, 2010 9:44 AM
Jul 2018
disco said:
the mother is the true idiot here. what kind of dumbass kills themself for.. well, absolutely no reason at all?!! i really don't see WHY she had to do it, AT ALL. it was just an excuse for more angst.

Agree with everything. It was just a twist for the sake of having a twist.

Also, despite all the thoroughly depressing things in this series, it's nice to see that Ai and her helpers all care for each other.
Sep 27, 2010 2:37 AM

Nov 2009
character development ftwwww~

Also, Ren. <3
Oct 20, 2010 6:27 PM
Aug 2009
Predseln said:
What a dumb mother, ...

At the end she chose to salve her conscience(because of the sin to kill her husband) over letting her daughter grow up in a place were atleast one parent is alive!

disco said:

*Face2palm* She killed herself to save her daughter from condemning herself to hell. How could you not get that? Bad Subs? sheesh some people.
Oct 30, 2010 6:09 PM

Jul 2010
So sad, the daughter misunderstood everything :(

I loved the background part of Ren, I've waited for this :D it's also clear that they're now "dolls" and they can temperarelt take the form of humans?

I wonder what Onna was... Wanyuudou was a wheel and wth he can throw with fire? :P I loved this episode, prob one of my favorites from now on :)
Nov 27, 2010 2:29 AM

Apr 2010
It's bad to be so stupid.. If I was the daughter's mother I would beat that girl 24/7... Her mother loved her so much. She's just a stupid and annoying kid who doesn't even know her name. Ghhh..
I really liked the part with Ren's past. Interesting.
Best episode so far.

Dec 23, 2010 4:12 PM

Feb 2009
*Face2palm* She killed herself to save her daughter from condemning herself to hell. How could you not get that? Bad Subs? sheesh some people.

This!
I blame the stupid daughter..
Jan 30, 2011 8:00 PM

Dec 2008
WOWWWWW! This is my favorite episode ever. I liked Ren before, but I LOVE REN now, holy crap. <333

Huh, after reading through the posts, it's interesting how people blame either the mother or the daughter for what happened. I blame the dad, honestly. He drove the mother to desperation, causing the mother to cover up her horrible, shameful secret from her daughter that she wanted to protect... and the daughter misunderstood thanks to the meddling of her grandmother. So my thought is that the mother killed herself to atone for what she did, knowing she was going to go to hell anyway, but preventing from ever giving her daughter the chance to send herself to hell. She knew it was unforgivable, and she wanted to protect her daughter no matter what happened, whether it be from her father or the thoughts she had of sending her mother to hell no matter what, even if it meant going to hell when she died herself. No parent wants to see their child go to hell over something they did in the first place.

Otherwise, badass Ren was a katana?! Freaking epic. I guess I have a thing for objects coming to life. I loved that even though he was an object and felt helpless being used all the time to do whatever his owner chose, this time he kind of made an impact on what was going on. And that this had some serious background to it, including a previous Jigoku Shoujo pulling the string moment. Really, really cool.

I honestly thought Ren was going to grab the woman by her leg, but I suppose what will happen will happen, and Ren did the best thing for that girl by shielding her eyes and making her look away. My mouth flew open and my hope that this would be resolved for once collapsed like a ton of bricks.

But I squeed big time when Ren admitted that Hone Onna and Wanyuudou felt like family. WAHHHH, that was a great moment with the three of them right there.

All in all, my favorite episode Jigoku Shoujo has thrown at me yet!!
Feb 6, 2011 11:15 AM
Feb 2011
QQ'd a bit at this ending...I also hoped that he would somehow save her at the last moment, or she would somehow survive...
Stupid kid though, but i really blame the grandmother for lying as she did.
Feb 19, 2011 7:34 AM

Oct 2008
So sad. :(

Nice knowing more about Ren though.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 1, 2011 10:42 AM

Oct 2009
Poor mother, stupid daughter...
Ren is awesome!
Jun 10, 2011 11:32 PM

Jul 2008
I also don't get why people are misunderstanding the "twist" ending. The mom killed herself because her daughter was going to pull the string. The mom did not want her daughter going to hell, so she killed herself.

What I don't understand however, is why you are allowed to send someone to Hell who has already been condemned to end up there.
Aug 19, 2011 8:29 AM

Aug 2009
That little bitch was willing to send her mother to hell over the possibility of not being able to live with her grandma? A loving single mother working long hours to put food on the table for her, willing to sacrifice everything for her in a blink of an eye, that little twerp didn't know how good she had it until she lost it. Well, its sad; but she brought it upon herself.

If Ren would have saved to mother at the last moment, the daughter would have realized what she almost lost and it would have been a happy ending. Oh well.
Jan 27, 2012 6:43 PM

Aug 2009
THAT DAUGHTER AGGRAVATED ME SO MUCH!!!! -_____________-

Her mom sacrificed her FUTURE and ETERNITY just so that her daughter can live a happy life and now the daughter wanted to kill her mom! -_______-
What a stupid little brat!! >:OOOOOO

but anyway, I love Ren.. ;~;
Mar 13, 2012 4:12 PM
Jul 2009
Predseln said:
What a dumb mother, ...

Are you stupid? If she had said "No, you can't live with your grandma" her daughter would have pulled the string. Do you not remember the girl saying "If she argues, I'll use this.."

McWilly said:

There was no real reason for the mother to kill herself. She said "You don't have to go to hell too. It would make me so sad," then the daughter was starting to realize her mother's true feelings. When the mom was about to jump off, the daughter said "Mom, don't! Mom!" -Reaching out arm- At that point, I don't think she would have pulled the string.

If the mom had just stood there a bit to let it all sink in, the daughter would probably be like "I'm so sorry mom! I misunderstood everything!" blah blah
UserDeletedMar 13, 2012 4:21 PM
Apr 19, 2012 12:17 AM

Jul 2011
my fav episode of season 1 and 2 so far and at the end when emma invited ren to be in the hell group and he turned from a katana into a naked ren KYAA!!!! and when he called them his family.. nope i didnt cry... nope im not crying right now as i type T.T
Aug 9, 2012 10:40 AM

May 2012
Quite a sad turn in events! That the mother choose to kill her self was something horrible and I think her child didn't wanted it though!

Now the child got no one is it that better for her?

Either way nice back story of Ren didn't imagine he would be a sword :p
Aug 19, 2012 1:33 PM

Aug 2010
Ren is awesome, definitely my favorite character.

That little brat girl was so stupid.

5/5, because of Ren.
Aug 21, 2012 9:10 AM

Jun 2011
GarLogan78 said:
I also don't get why people are misunderstanding the "twist" ending. The mom killed herself because her daughter was going to pull the string. The mom did not want her daughter going to hell, so she killed herself.

What I don't understand however, is why you are allowed to send someone to Hell who has already been condemned to end up there.
Agreed, and good point there. It would make more sense if you couldn't send a person to hell if they are already bound to go there...
But in the end, I guess the work of Jigoku Tsuushin is more about consigning the grievances to hell...

All in all, a really nice episode. One of the best ^^ And one of the saddest too.. =(
Sep 8, 2012 1:18 PM
Sep 2009
A suicide was totally not needed here. As she said, she would go to hell anyway. But now that she is dead her daughter will stay with grandma from who she wanted to take her away just now!

This show frustrates me on so many levels! It's like a collection of biggest idiots on earth!
Ok you could have 5 idiots per show but each one of them?

Jigoku Shoujo series are over doing it.
Sep 17, 2012 10:34 PM

Apr 2011
kitten320 said:
A suicide was totally not needed here. As she said, she would go to hell anyway. But now that she is dead her daughter will stay with grandma from who she wanted to take her away just now!

This show frustrates me on so many levels! It's like a collection of biggest idiots on earth!
Ok you could have 5 idiots per show but each one of them?

Jigoku Shoujo series are over doing it.
Did we really watch the same episode? I understand we have differ values, but seriously...

The mother save her daughter from going to hell, by dying first. Who care's that she is going to her evil grandma. The girl has a bank account and will live on. She has learned a life lesson from this terrible event.

The only idiot here, is the daughter.
vansonbeeSep 17, 2012 10:39 PM
Sep 22, 2012 2:02 AM

Jan 2012
naked ren killed the episode for me

gay/10
Sep 24, 2012 9:22 AM

Jun 2012
flaxman85 said:
naked ren killed the episode for me

gay/10

Homophobe.

There was nothing sexual and/or gay about it.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Dec 10, 2012 11:09 PM

Jun 2008
ConfusedPerson said:
There was no real reason for the mother to kill herself. She said "You don't have to go to hell too. It would make me so sad," then the daughter was starting to realize her mother's true feelings. When the mom was about to jump off, the daughter said "Mom, don't! Mom!" -Reaching out arm- At that point, I don't think she would have pulled the string.

If the mom had just stood there a bit to let it all sink in, the daughter would probably be like "I'm so sorry mom! I misunderstood everything!" blah blah

Exactly. How are people not seeing this? By the time the mom actually killed herself, the daughter looked pretty unlikely to actually pull. This dumb twist had such weak logic behind it.

And while Ren's background was kinda cool to see, they made it look like it was supposed to connect to the case in the present time of the episode...which it didn't. Why was Ren so invested in this case?

I am not impressed with this season so far.
Dec 14, 2012 5:30 AM

Jan 2012
probably just scarred her daughter even more.. found out her dad's a wife beater then her mother goes and jumps off a bridge D: she didn't look like she was going to pull the string after she hugged her, there wasn't any need for it, now she'll probably end up at that grandma's place D:
Jan 9, 2013 6:10 PM

Jun 2012
All y'all niggas be wrong. It wasn't the moms fault or even the daughter it was the grandmother because she brainwashed the little girl in believing her mom was a bad person and her father a saint
Mar 2, 2013 7:52 PM

Oct 2012
The line about family was a very true one. At least that's what i believe they are.
Mar 28, 2013 2:10 PM

Aug 2008
The daughter was fed with lies from her grandmother probably. I also didn't really like the fact that the mother had to take such drastic measures such as killing herself. I was half-expecting Ren to save her but he didn't.
Apr 27, 2013 3:36 AM

Feb 2013
best arc in my opinion
Jul 3, 2013 7:40 PM

Feb 2013
wow that was....different.....
Aug 7, 2013 6:48 PM

Sep 2012
...why are they yelling at him for getting "too involved"? What about the lady from the episode just prior? Along with all the other times she did so.

Poor guy just can't catch a break.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Aug 17, 2013 8:24 PM

Mar 2013
the one thing i don't understand actually is why ai accepted the girl's request in the first place... it didn't seem like the girl actually hated her mom that much... i thought they needed really strong emotions for it to work ._.
guess teenage angst is stronger than i thought XD

oh the silly things you find on the internet
Sep 9, 2013 1:38 PM

Jan 2012
Stupid daughter who doesn't realize how much her mother cared for her and decides to banish her to hell just because she heard that her mother killed her father without know much about him.

Stupid mother who doesn't talk to her daughter about her father even when she saw that doll and then rushed to kill herself, it shows how much she loves her daughter but still she still could talk to her about it.

Stupid abnormal people everywhere in this show.

Wanyuudou interfered the case two episodes ago by turning into a fire wheel saving that girl from being rape and Hone Onna interfered a bit with the previous episode and so why are they stop Ren from interfering with this one?
Oct 3, 2013 1:56 PM

Aug 2008
MoeXtreme said:

Wanyuudou interfered the case two episodes ago by turning into a fire wheel saving that girl from being rape and Hone Onna interfered a bit with the previous episode and so why are they stop Ren from interfering with this one?

Exactly. Also the time Wanyuudou saved that truck from falling off the road. And that Kikuri girl is always pulling shit. This show contradicts itself so badly.
Oct 9, 2013 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
HECK YEAH, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!
Anyways this was soo sad, I actually cried TT^TT
Also, Ai got to see Ren naked, I'm awfully jealous! D:
Dec 2, 2013 10:33 PM

Jun 2012
well that was a surprising episode but seriously first telling your daughter she doesn't have to sent you to hell cause you go anyway and explain the situation she will probably love her mother again then right that moment she kill her self that must be the hardest thing on the daughter ever luckily Ren at least covered her eyes.

maybe lovers lol funniest line of Wanyuudou.

good to see about Ren his past.

UnculturedWhitey said:
...why are they yelling at him for getting "too involved"? What about the lady from the episode just prior? Along with all the other times she did so.

Poor guy just can't catch a break.

exactly how i was thinking they say not to get involved but all others have saved someone before.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
May 16, 2014 5:18 PM

Jul 2012
Why are kids so fucking stupid in this as well as the adults
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 30, 2008

64 by nrrc102 »»
Dec 4, 2023 12:21 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

so_addictive - Apr 22, 2008

85 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 26, 2023 10:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MEGATRON - Jul 23, 2008

63 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 25, 2023 8:08 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 8 Discussion

figure8life - Jul 20, 2009

46 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 24, 2023 3:14 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Antarael - Nov 13, 2008

61 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 24, 2023 2:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.