Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2008 12:37 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Was this episode 1? Because I didn't see Kino carry 3 Persuaders now. Either this was when she was given the second one, or she simply put the new one on her back instead of the other one.

Hermes was surprised when Kino wanted to stay longer than 3 days though. That would imply it wasn't 'episode 1', since the three-days rule was very important to Kino.

Anyway, I almost cried. It was a very sad story and I think that Kino's real name might be Sakura.

9/10, really good anime.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 29, 2008 1:04 PM

Nov 2007
I think this was meant to be in between/early on in the story, where Kino first got her Persuader, as well she mentioned in an earlier episode that there was only one place where she wanted to stay longer than 3 days, this being the one.
Jul 29, 2008 2:14 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ah right, thanks for the info!

It is really regrettable that people only realize their faults and wrongdoings when they're about to face death.
cyruzJul 29, 2008 2:51 PM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 16, 2008 8:36 PM

Apr 2007
I was wondering how theyd ve able to end a series that focuses around travelling to different countries. The last episode was great, IMO.
I almost cried too.. wow, it was pretty sad. :/
I was kind of expecting that the old man recognize Kino or something because of his shocked expression, but guess not.

Sep 28, 2008 9:42 PM
Oct 2007
I was surprised to see the town really friendly after what Kino had said, and the friendliness gave me a bit of unease throughout her stay. @.@

But after that tragedy, it gives you that same shock as to what Kino was feeling too when it happened....I kind of wish Lily did take that offer to travel around too...she's like Kino when she was younger...I guess Lily in a way realized that she relates to Kino too, and decided to stay. =(

Awesome episode. ^^
Oct 21, 2008 9:40 PM

May 2007
I think Lily was Kino's name.

Anyway this was probably a story that took place before episode 1 with the ending montague.

So sad, not fair, the last town in episode 12 has peace but this town, not fair

9/10
My anime list
Oct 22, 2008 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
Sakura might be Kino's real name. IMO kino suits her better.
At first I thought Sakura was in the same situation as Kino when she was younger.. considering her parents wanted her to leave. That made me teary-eyed T^T

9/10 - this has become one of my faves xD
Dec 9, 2008 5:14 PM

Nov 2008
6/10
Poor animation with a decent, pessimistic, unimpressive look at humanity via a person who refuses to be a spectator instead of a participant in her journey. It would be a great injustice to allow this anime to get the same/better rating as Mushi-shi.
Dec 9, 2008 6:08 PM
May 2008
The ending episode was one of the best episodes in the entire anime. I don't think it concluded the show very well, but that's not very important in anime for me. Ina land where NGE, Kare Kano, and WHR endings are rampant, Kino's ending was pretty good. Very sad, and this anime almost made me cry a couple of times. I never cry at anything, too Manly. But this was so sad...

I guess the people relized how bad, and understood what they were doing wrong in life. They changed, and became a very nice group of people. Perhaps the nicest, and best people Kino meets thoughout the anime. They became good people, very interesting! What a weird way to accept one's faith though, just let the lava consume the town. Part of me wishes they left...

So overall 10/10

The animation/art wasn't really bad, it was just overly simple. Just like "Now and Then, Here and There". The art/animation looked the same in both series, and both were great stories, that everyone should see.
Dec 20, 2008 8:49 PM

Sep 2008
Beautiful episode, and beautiful show. (And beautiful world)

I love Kino's Journey, and this last episode was brilliant. Kino's distraught face after seeing the volcano erupt was perhaps the most powerful expression I've seen in any anime. It was so powerful, because it was *Kino* making that expression - she usually has a very deadpan expression, even during insane circumstances. But really, her face has just been etched by the lifetime of experiences she's witnessed. What I love most of all is that she is so optimistic despite all the awful things she's seen in the world. She sees the world as beautiful when most people would just be depressed. I probably would've quit the journey after the second episode. =/ Kino is strong though. It's great to see a show with such a strong protagonist. And I don't mean strong as in able to kill lots of people (Kino can do that too though). I mean strong as in being shown the worst in humanity but seeing the best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2009 12:57 PM

Dec 2008
I would love to entirely endorse Cholisose's summary. It was a really powerful and fitting ending. I have one minor point to add about this episode specifically:

Was I the only one who thought Kino was going to die? I really thought there was quite a lot of foreshadowing accumulating.

The disturbing disparity between the extremely friendly population and the bad rumours, the mirroring of Kino's meeting with the original Kino in which he is also lead to an uncannily similar inn by a child, the symbolism of Sakura reminiscent of the town where the original Kino died and the scene where Kino points the Persuader at herself to examine it.

I suppose you could equally claim that it was symbolising closure and an end to this stage of the "Tabi", rather than her death in particular, but I just wondered if anyone else had the thought that she was going to die here as well.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Feb 2, 2009 5:50 PM
May 2008
Silverhammer said:
I would love to entirely endorse Cholisose's summary. It was a really powerful and fitting ending. I have one minor point to add about this episode specifically:

Was I the only one who thought Kino was going to die? I really thought there was quite a lot of foreshadowing accumulating.

The disturbing disparity between the extremely friendly population and the bad rumours, the mirroring of Kino's meeting with the original Kino in which he is also lead to an uncannily similar inn by a child, the symbolism of Sakura reminiscent of the town where the original Kino died and the scene where Kino points the Persuader at herself to examine it.

I suppose you could equally claim that it was symbolising closure and an end to this stage of the "Tabi", rather than her death in particular, but I just wondered if anyone else had the thought that she was going to die here as well.
yup, im with you on this.

I was 100% sure that she was going to sacrifice her life for Saukura, like what Kino did to her.

Great ending and an amazing show.
Feb 10, 2009 9:25 AM

Mar 2008
Beautiful episode and overall, an amazing series. The tales of Kino made me think about life and what is right and wrong, but also made me realise that we can't always say something is good or not, just because we're used to it.
9/10
Mar 13, 2009 9:44 AM
Feb 2009
So that's why Sakura's parents were encouraging her to leave... but, is it just me or did Sakura KNEW about the end? In her message to Kino she said that she won't be needing those seeds anymore.

Really sad episode and nice end of the series.
Apr 2, 2009 5:02 PM

Dec 2008
Wow.
This show was amazing.
I love how each episode truly delivered a thought provoking message, with brilliant art.
This was a perfect way to end the series, especially the last three lines:
Kino: I don't know, what are we doing? Something we should probably think about.

I never thought I would give an anime a ten, but this was amazing.
I have no complaints about this series.
My new favorite.

10\10
Apr 11, 2009 8:51 PM

Oct 2008
Bravo. Absolutely bravo. I had tons of fun watching this. Every country had its own uniqueness, and I think every single episode made me think. There were some truly beautiful themes woven into what could appear to be simple stories. Bravo again.
Apr 23, 2009 8:34 PM

Feb 2008
I want to see more of this series. This is just too good for me, rather than watching some filler animes out there...

I also thought that she would be willing to sacrifice her life to Sakura there IF EVER she had known such things. But, her fate won't give her a chance; she must witness their peaceful death...Ouch!

Overall, I'm really impressed and amazed by this show. I will consider this as a masterpiece.
May 13, 2009 12:31 PM

May 2008
babykeiji said:
I want to see more of this series.

Yeah really.;_;

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jun 10, 2009 5:47 AM

Apr 2009
Did you notice? Both Sakura's an Kino's parents had been running a hotel and both of them had welcomed a traveler. And the teasing part was similar, too :)

I think Sakura knew somehow...
And Kino finally showed some emotion :O And how powerful that was...So surprising.
That was a beautiful ending to a wonderful series. Wow, I'm almost crying. Stupid, stupid...
I surely won't forget this series.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 10, 2009 6:57 PM

Jan 2009
Silverhammer

.[/quote said:

I second that. at some point, i really believed that the anime would end on a dejavu note. Meaning, our Kino would die saving little Sakura, just like the real Kino saved our Kino earlier. Too many parts were just like that episode "the land of the dults", and it being the last episode, jus gave me this uneasiness feeling that dejavu is just waiting around the corner. That could have been a strong ending, with a strong message that everything goes around in this world. However it wud be too hard to see Kino dying >.>
Aug 14, 2009 6:27 PM
Jun 2008
I don't know if this episode was the happiest or the saddest...
I almost cried in some parts, but when I was watching the first part, I was so happy and I also thought that this would be the happiest episode...

What's more, while I was watching this episode I thought that Sakura was really similar to Kino when she was a child...

Overall, I loved this anime! Now to the films! \o/
Sep 15, 2009 3:56 AM

Sep 2008
MEGATRON said:
I think this was meant to be in between/early on in the story, where Kino first got her Persuader, as well she mentioned in an earlier episode that there was only one place where she wanted to stay longer than 3 days, this being the one.

Exactly what I picked up on. And the name of the Persuader that Sakura's grandfather gave her matched the name of one of the Persuaders she had since the beginning of the series.

Wait, how come so many parallels were drawn between Sakura and Kino? And Kino even said the same thing that the other Kino said upon entering the town. I kept expecting something bad to happen, because of what happened to the first Kino when he met Kino...

I really enjoyed watching this show... which is more than I can say for some other series, so I'll consider it a masterpiece.
merle_noirJan 22, 2010 9:24 PM
Sep 15, 2009 1:51 PM
Sep 2009
To me this episode was even more emotional the second time I watched it. Cause then it was like "aw man... they're all going to die :( "

I think this episode is one of the strongest but not really the one that makes me think the most. But it really works good as a final episode of a truly great anime.
Beyond deffinition
Sep 28, 2009 9:54 PM
Apr 2009
Amazing series, and saving the best episode for last.

Very moving episode, definitely keeping me interested the entire way through. The best part I found was when the lava was rolling down the mountain, and as Kino was watching the entire town destroyed, there was a cut to her persuader lying on the ground, showing just how helpless she was to do anything.
She'd seemed in complete control of her life and the everything around her throughout the series, from the colosseum to the situation with the slave traders, but when she really wanted to help save the country, there was nothing she could do except watch.
Oct 20, 2009 5:02 AM

Jan 2009
That was a trippy episode. Glad Kino didn't die tragically like the prior Kino. Originally, I was afraid I wouldn't like this series because it's compared with Mushishi. I have to say I like it a lot more. :/ 10/10
Oct 26, 2009 2:04 AM

May 2009
I hope they make a Season 2
Nov 8, 2009 11:01 PM
Dec 2008
Having all the characters represent crude principles does not a masterpiece make. 6/10
Nov 25, 2009 2:10 AM

Jan 2009
Defenatly a series that make me think of life in a different perspective.

9/10
Nov 25, 2009 10:43 PM

Jun 2009
Very good show, I'm glad I watched it.

9/10
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 28, 2009 2:26 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 28, 2009 4:20 AM

Jun 2009
Kino's name was indicated to be Sakura...

I really didn't know what's going to happen in the show.

At first, I thought Sakura will run into the same situation as young Kino but this time, the traveller(Kino) would step away...

2nd scenerio = If Kino decides to stay longer than 3 days, she'd get stones throws at her, being rejected of shops ect ect because of some weird taboo of the town...

But ending is not what I expected at all. Though I don't really understand why they chose to stay.

Kino wanting to stay for another few days because of how wonderful the country is... People can only see their wrong doing when it's almost all over...

9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2009 12:09 AM
Dec 2008
AirStyles said:
Kino's name was indicated to be Sakura...

I really didn't know what's going to happen in the show.

At first, I thought Sakura will run into the same situation as young Kino but this time, the traveller(Kino) would step away...

2nd scenerio = If Kino decides to stay longer than 3 days, she'd get stones throws at her, being rejected of shops ect ect because of some weird taboo of the town...

But ending is not what I expected at all. Though I don't really understand why they chose to stay.

Kino wanting to stay for another few days because of how wonderful the country is... People can only see their wrong doing when it's almost all over...

9/10

yeah man deep shit rite
Dec 19, 2009 3:47 PM

Oct 2009
Good ending, way better than I expected from this series. I thought this country was a bizarro world version of Kino's original country due to all the parallels between her and Sakura. Overall a good series, was worth my time, even though I didn't love all the episodes. 8/10
Dec 24, 2009 7:08 PM

Mar 2009
really good episode; and what an unexpected end the country had to come to!..felt like a reference to the ancient roman city of Pompeii somehow

anyways, who was that old gunsmith? did he know kino's master?
Dec 30, 2009 12:44 PM

May 2009
Sad episode. I don't get why they didn't evacuate, how stupid. So Kino's real name was Sakura, huh?

Kino lives in a depressing and fucked up world.
Jan 4, 2010 1:35 AM
Jan 2008
Prayermad said:
Having all the characters represent crude principles does not a masterpiece make. 6/10

I can't believe this quote belongs to someone who likes Evangelion.
Jan 8, 2010 3:55 AM
Dec 2008
Arancil said:
Prayermad said:

I don't understand - What i said about Kino's Journey does not apply to Evangelion at all.
Jan 8, 2010 10:56 PM
Jul 2008
That was a very nice ending, a bit sad but a great ending to a great anime. And now I know her real name.
Jan 13, 2010 11:50 AM

May 2009
That is not a beautifull world!!!! What an sad ending *sobs* still a 9/10 :D
Feb 17, 2010 3:37 PM

Sep 2008
Wow, that was a very beautiful episode. I totally didn't see it coming, but I adored Sakura. It came out as a heartwarming episode and turned tragic at the end, crushing my heart. My eyes even watered a little.

This was a fun series, seeing intervals of 3 days in countries. It was also nice seeing a main character that didn't dilly-dally too much in their thoughts or on anything else.
Jun 15, 2010 4:07 PM

Jan 2010
oh NOO oh NO NO NO O.o

duuude,why? :(...sh*t happens,this just isn't fair :(

poor Sakura,i get it now why the parents wanted her to go with Kino...but still dude this is just so f**** unfair,i can't belive it T_T

i almost cried because of this...i can't belive it LOL...how could i get attached of that girl after only one episode...
dude wtf,i expected many things,like a textbook story like Kino's

you know,Kino dies and Sakura runs with Hermes,or that she would get into some crazy fight and the people from that country would help her,but a volcano???

f**** storyboard,RIP Sakura :(
PS:what really angered me is that she said: "when i'm going to grow i want to bring tourists here"...now she will never bring anyone :(

oh well...Kino no tabi is awesome...actually,it is better than Mushishi

5/5 for the episode(wich was the best of the series,along with the colloseum and the flying girl one) and 9.5/10 for the series(rounded to 10 :)

so yeah,Kino no tabi is officially the 4th best anime i ever watched :)(After Clannad,Aria and Angel Beats)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 23, 2010 3:51 PM

Nov 2007
The first 5 episodes were extremely impressive, the stories were interesting and full of thoughts. The colosseum episodes were the beginning of a slight downhill that lasted for the rest of the series. Given, the stories were pretty interesting, but frankly the philosophical points felt to be taken out of a fortune cookies. On top of that, mostly they didn't merge with the stories too well.
By the way, in the story of a wise man I was pretty thrilled to see the old tale of man telling king to stop blocking the sun, but the rest of the story included the cheap "brain procedure " stuff that I recall them using earlier too. It just wasn't very clever or interesting story.

This last episode was pretty good though. Didn't make me think too much, but the feelings were conveyed to the viewer pretty nicely. Liked the last attempts of the parents to get the girl out of the town.

8/10 because in the end, these series are pretty rare species. Would and will watch again in the future.
Jul 6, 2010 11:31 AM

Jun 2010
It was an amazing show. Each episode kept be glued to the screen. It potrayed the world that everything is not just one color. It's sometimes black and white, or black and white and grey.

10/10
Jul 13, 2010 6:50 AM

Aug 2008
me too, I thought something bad will happen to Kino (like death) but...

aww, I almost cried ><
Jul 13, 2010 3:27 PM
Feb 2009
It's truly perfect, for it truly feels like they thought of everything. The little things, it all fell into the right place

10/10
Nov 5, 2010 9:45 PM

Aug 2010
A great series. Really loved this finale.
Nov 22, 2010 2:43 PM
Jun 2010
A fitting end for an interesting and thought-provoking series. Usually so stone-faced Kino had an awesome expression at the end. As others mentioned before, people start acting and changing their ways only when the end is imminent and everything is most likely too late. At least in this case the townsfolk were able to show their newfound kindness before their unfortunate end.

As for the the series, second episode was the best, being about the value of life and people's motivations. The Coliseum part was, if not the worst, at least the most annoying. Kino acted inconsistently and the action stuff didn't suit this show one bit.

All in all a very unique show which could have lasted a bit longer ... I suppose I have to watch Mushishi now.
MagebaneNov 22, 2010 2:53 PM
Dec 14, 2010 5:09 AM

Aug 2010
Fantastic series, I only wish there were more seasons to it.

I think people can stop speculating on certain things, since the anime isn't exactly giving you hidden messages. They outright tell you. Kinda funny seeing people act like detectives over something like her name, or whether or not the little Sakura knew they were going to die.

Kino's real name is Sakura. You didn't decode a mystery, it was information given to you throughout the series, and validated with the final episode.

Little Sakura knew she was going to die. That's why she gave the seeds to Kino, and said it was pointless for her to keep them.

As to people saying Kino's name is Lily... I'm guessing maybe you watched the dub or something and they failed at translating by over-localizing the context? Pro tip, stop watching dubs. You lose intended inflections and subtleties in dialogue, and reading isn't hard to do. Watching a dubbed show is like eating spaghetti with ketchup. Sure, the sauce comes from a tomato, but you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: People actually thought Kino would die in this episode? Wow, were you watching the same show as me? Did you pay attention to anything happening at all? Maybe it's the same people watching dubs, and information was lost in the translation or something.

If Kino dies in this episode, there wouldn't be the rest of the series. It became quite clear early on that this episode took place earlier in her travels. This episode basically revisited many of the tidbits of info given throughout the series. There's no reason to think she would die here...
ThillygoothDec 14, 2010 5:12 AM
Dec 30, 2010 2:42 AM
Mar 2010
so sad! D:

i also thought the episode had a lot of foreshadowing. i'm glad it proved false, but that ending was really sad :(

i wish the series could continue somehow. but since Kino's journey will never really end, the series could never really end either.

a really strong ending tho. beautiful series.
Jan 17, 2011 10:13 AM

Apr 2008
I want moar D:
Feb 10, 2011 10:08 PM

Sep 2008
chumlum said:
Arancil said:
Prayermad said:

I don't understand - What i said about Kino's Journey does not apply to Evangelion at all.

actually the statement you made is exactly what I think about evangelion. To each their own I guess
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.