Forum Settings
Forums

Friendship. Do you believe in it? Or are friends (you included as well) just people who leave when they don't need you?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 2, 2011 1:24 PM

Jul 2009
It really depends on how you define friendship, or more specifically what you expect out of friendship. Do I think people who have common circumstances can mutually benifit one another and form a relationship out of it? Yes. Do I think that there is some metaphysical bond, or some extremely deep connection? No.

The strength of the bond is going to rely on multiple factors such as time you knew the person (built trust), how much you have in common with them (how important these things are), how well your personalities co-operate, among other things. If you start taking away some of these things, the bond is going to start weakening.

If someone ignores you walking down the hallway, etc, then they are a superficial friend.
Nov 2, 2011 5:25 PM

Jan 2009
InfiniteRyvius said:
Huh? Why am I suddenly the optimistic one here? I mean, friends can fade over time etc. and some may even suddenly just stop being friends, may even become dicks, but I think that your friends will actually do much for you in times of need, though of course you need to have trust in them to do so to a degree.

It's the internet, not too surprising.

As for me, friends are mad important. And yes I do believe in friendship and bounds. It's not one of those things you can prove with science, it's just there. People naturally become close to others through the course of their life(exceptions of course). As mentioned above friends made fade over time and whatnot, but friendship as a whole exist.
Nov 2, 2011 5:29 PM

Jun 2011
I don't believe in friendship. This is the modern era we live in. I believe in friendplanes.
Nov 2, 2011 7:05 PM

Feb 2008
DrewTheDoofus said:
I don't believe in friendship. This is the modern era we live in. I believe in friendplanes.
wowican'tbelieveyou'retrying/10
Nov 2, 2011 7:09 PM

May 2008
I don't know, but I at least like to believe that there are plenty of really genuine good friends out there if you search enough.
Nov 3, 2011 3:36 PM

Jul 2008
I only have one friend who I can honestly say I believe will be my friend forever. We've never argued, never done anything bad to each other and when we're together our friendship just seems to constantly build and build. Ultimate bromance right there. I have other friends whom I enjoy talking to and hanging out with, but really if I were to think about it, many of these people could just be considered acquaintances. I can't really see our 'friendship' going anywhere special. I have also had very close friends who have just faded away over time simply because they haven't put in the effort to stay in contact. I'm a kind guy, I put in the hours, but it takes two to tango and friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity. To me, it seems humans are selfish and feeble. They can offer their love in small bursts, but can only offer true commitment to a select few. I think in a life time, you'll only have a couple of people you can truly call a friend.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 3, 2011 8:39 PM

Nov 2007
I have a lot of people I hang out with, but I wouldn't call them "friends" necessarily, because for me friendship means something different.

My friends are people who are always by my side, no matter what. My friends and I have been friends since high school, and going off to different colleges and then living in different countries hasn't changed any of that. We still keep in touch and we still are concerned about each others' well-being even though we live so far away. We haven't really drifted apart.

So to me, a "friend" is not someone you hang out with when you're bored, but someone who sticks by your side no matter what.
Nov 3, 2011 9:22 PM

Dec 2009
First of all, the art behind making friend is to think for the others. So... the question is ...

Friends - share similar stuff: works or interest or simply have a lot of time together
Close friends - take longer time to develop, more stuff in common, easier to share and trust each other deeper than other friends

Both may come and go. But I will be more eager to contact with the latter in free time; and a bit more unhappy or even worry when separated long or unexpectedly.
Nov 3, 2011 10:13 PM

Apr 2009
family>friends
Nov 4, 2011 2:23 AM

Nov 2007
"Friends" are used all the time. Even though they say they are "true friends", they don't treat as one. That's what always happen to me.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 4, 2011 8:54 PM

Sep 2011
'Regular friends' wont really be there when you are having hard times and are there just to have fun with. Internet friends are classified as regular friends.

'True friends' will be there to help you out and wont abandon you and are rare.

Regular friends may turn into true friends.

Friends ill have their back when it comes to a fight. True friends ill have their back when it comes to life and death.

Friends i may or may not help when it comes to needing a place to stay or money. True friends i'll help with little hesitation.

To become my true friend is a long process that would be based on their actions.

Friends from high school ill easily say hi to without a problem. If they notice me and ignore me, then its obvious they arent a friend no more lol.
Ive had people i considered friends in elementary school who i havent seen since then. Then i randomly ran into yeeeaars later and they knew right off the bat who i was and said hey.

People who i dont hang out with much and just say hi and talk a little are just acquaintances.

I guess if i had a chart to measure where people are, i'd be moving people up and down slowly from Acquaintance » Friend » True Friend lol.

Facebook is just full of shit.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Nov 5, 2011 3:17 AM

Mar 2008
I think social networking sites ruined the word friends. These days people you don't even know are your 'friends.'

A friend is someone who hangs out with you, talks with you, goes to places with you, and helps you out with things like moving. They would share some or many of your views about certain things, and would help you if you're in trouble. And of course they will be happy when they're with you.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." -Friedrich Nietzsche | Last.fm

Nov 5, 2011 4:36 AM

Apr 2009
Sukunai said:
Know the difference between the term 'friend' and the term 'acquaintance' and the matter is a lot easier to deal with. I've known people I mistook for 'friends' when they should have been termed 'acquaintances'. You can know people for years, and still not become real friends with too. Time in is not a qualifier.

Absolutely.

And the best friend is the one that can distinguish friend from acquaintance.
Nov 5, 2011 4:38 AM

Jan 2011

Actually the most relevant thing related to anime I can think of now. Other than the shounen Friendship is everything, I think ARIA also shows friendship very well.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Nov 5, 2011 12:00 PM

Jan 2010
I do believe in friendship, however real friends are few and far between.
I can't say I really have many friends now. I have one real friend who has stuck by my side for the last 5 years, but that's about it.
Nov 5, 2011 12:06 PM
Nov 2010
True friendship does exist and can be a lot more common, if people stopped acting like idiots and started being somewhat nice to each other.

So yeah, I do believe in friendship.
Nov 5, 2011 12:12 PM

Jul 2010
I never have a true friend before, partly due to me moving from California to Arizona in my childhood.
True friendship is extremely rare for me. I usually see my friends at work or at school, and most of my friends, I only see them at conventions.
Nov 6, 2011 9:39 AM

Sep 2011
I believe friends and friendships exist, but I also believe that even my best friends would turn away if they knew too much of me.
Nov 6, 2011 12:46 PM

Mar 2011
do shounen friendships exist?
Nov 6, 2011 12:49 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Jookia said:
I believe friends and friendships exist, but I also believe that even my best friends would turn away if they knew too much of me.

^Kinda agree with that x) But also I think of myself weird enough cause I'm ok with being alone most of the time so idm if ppl don't talk to me so I sometimes wonder if I rly care abt my friends and even till today can't say I'm 100% sure. But I'll be there for them if they have probs and I know they will be for mine if I decide to share them. I was always one to have 1 or at most 2 rly close friends so I wouldn't mind for the rest much as long they still talk to me. Like right now, I have a friend I met in uni and we became bff pretty fast and we are getting along for 2 years now well though lately we've been arguing more but I don't consider it rly bad. True relationships of any kind should have everything in it. Happiness, sadness,peace and war. Dunno if it'll last forever but I trust her with mah life. So yes I do believe in true friendship. Just I'm not sure if I can rly be a true friend with its true sense.
Nov 6, 2011 2:15 PM
Aug 2011
I believe true friendships are extremely rare. Most of the people we know are nothing more than acquaintances, "buddies", who probably won't stay long by our side. Right now, I think I have only 2 real friends, 2 girls from my school I think I can trust, because they can trust me. But these are definitely exceptions. After all, people have their own lives to care about, just like us. They won't stop everything they are doing just because you need them. So, being realistic about what to expect from people always helps us to keep in mind that we just can't expect too much from our relationships.
Nov 10, 2011 4:18 PM

Oct 2010
i think there is such a thing as friendship, but past friends change, they become strange but if you think that you are the only one that needs a friend and doesn't have one, every one needs a friend living with out a friend is to lonely for any man.
Nov 10, 2011 8:44 PM

Apr 2011
Of course friendship exists. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't know what a true friend is.
Nov 10, 2011 10:04 PM

Oct 2008
Friendship isn't a myth or some shit, some people DO have close friends that they spend time with. Of course you have your fake friends that only want you around when they need something or you only hang out once in a blue moon. You know, they type that always wants to borrow your lawnmower but wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.
Nov 11, 2011 2:09 AM

Sep 2010
I've had the same two friends since grade 4, twins.

But that time hasn't been a walk in the park... And I always wonder why they are still around, and I often just think I should block them away from me... But I never do.

I've had plenty of friendships that have just gone wrong... More than a few times the person has hurt me in a bad way. *shrug*
BloodiRoseNov 11, 2011 2:20 AM
Nov 11, 2011 2:54 AM

Jan 2011
Friends are nice. ^^
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Nov 11, 2011 3:17 AM
Nov 2011
Some people was are always with you, guiding you with your problems and etc. While some others are only what we called like "backstabbing" you. If you're not with them, they are talking some silly bad things about you, but when you're there, they turn like an angels and have a plastic smiles. Well, It's not all that I mean, Only some.

I used to have a friends like that, When i'm gone, I know and I really know they we're murmuring some things about me, Not only me, but the others too. But, as long as I have a friend who can stay with me the whole time, I can let them leave my way. So I believe in friendship. :)
Nov 11, 2011 4:06 AM
Sep 2011
It depends on how idealistic or cynical you are.
Nov 11, 2011 4:19 AM

Feb 2010
Sorry if this is offensive but..

Only kids would discuss this topic.

When you are old(er) and have seen what the world is like, there's no "what are friends?" or "do I really need friends?" or "who are my true friends?" There are much more things in life to think about than this.

Shit happens in life. You get betrayed and you get loved. It depends how you live your life. If things dont go the way you want, "my best friend betrayed me. boohoo..", move on. The world will still continue while you are stuck in the past.
icegenie.pngUntitled-1_04-04.gif
Nov 11, 2011 4:24 AM
Sep 2011
Age is irrelevant. It's life experience that counts.

Wait. Then why are you in this topic?
Nov 11, 2011 4:24 AM

Feb 2010
Shabaneu said:
Age is irrelevant. It's life experience that counts.

Im sorry. I should have use "mature" instead of "old(er)". Well, if that makes a difference.
icegenie.pngUntitled-1_04-04.gif
Nov 11, 2011 4:25 AM
Sep 2011
That's more like it.
Nov 11, 2011 4:30 AM

Oct 2009
RyokaKurokawa said:
Some people was are always with you, guiding you with your problems and etc. While some others are only what we called like "backstabbing" you. If you're not with them, they are talking some silly bad things about you, but when you're there, they turn like an angels and have a plastic smiles. Well, It's not all that I mean, Only some.

"Agree with you. Some of my friends usually does that. But I do really hope there is someone out there to be truthful towards me. Even though, I'm not around.
[The saying goes "A true friends will talk nice things behind your back"]

@Psajdak
In the world, true friends is rarely to be found. But actually, when you have a few close friends is already enough. Just treasure and cherish your friendship. Its best to contact them and have meet up. Meet up do helps in catching up with each other. But when you move on to high school and working. You can still make friends. Having so many friends also no used too. Just stick to the closest friend that is closest to you. :D Your friendship with them will last depends on how you maintain and build up one another. :)
Nov 11, 2011 4:33 AM
Sep 2011
That's very idealistic, daresay. You could be a philosopher.
Nov 11, 2011 4:42 AM

Oct 2009
Shabaneu said:
That's very idealistic, daresay. You could be a philosopher.

Depends. :)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.