Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 9, 2020 2:14 PM

Aug 2016
Recynon said:
Bland looking male protagonist is bland. Who would've thought. I'm starting to really hate the trope where a male protagonist gets love from women just because he's a generic nice guy when they're in vulnerable positions. There's probably some truth to it in real life, if you have the accompanying charisma and looks, but come on these protagonists are just saying generic nice guy things.

There was this scene in Justice League where Batman got Cheetah to kiss him despite it being the first time talking to her, but 1) He's fricking Batman with Kevin Conroy's voice. 2) He actually said something that appealed to her past and indicated that he understood Cheetah's emotions.

This whole episode is soap opera melodrama. Sure, you can come up with good excuses and in-story reasons for why people acted the way they did, but you can also come up with equally good reasons for why there wouldn't be melodrama. The fact of the matter is, they writers wanted the love triangle shit. Despite not having an on-screen conversation beforehand, one day and night in the desert is enough for Tatiana to fall for him. Sophia's kiss was also unnecessary- we understood her vulnerability from Alex's rejection just fine without it. Sophia and Klaus have also not had an on-screen conversation getting to know each other before this. I would've understood if they had at least talked about shared experiences a few times before the scene, but nope.

I was about to say that Lavie's jealousy doesn't make sense, but Ryu's comment above me reminded me of the context. It does make sense, but the combination of everything else makes it seem like a calculated contribution to the melodrama rather than a natural part of Lavie's arc.

Claus did appeal Tatiana's internal conflict in the desert, though. It was established earlier that she's very serious about upholding the honor of her family's name in the battlefield in order to provide financial support for her mother and her father who's suffering from an illness, most of her life was dedicated to this, to the point that she never had many close friends, and she even lets something as silly as a provocation from Dio back in the race get under her skin. As a result, the fact that Silvana sunk and she could do nothing about it in that battle was utterly disgraceful for her, in her mind she failed not only as a soldier, but as a member of her family as well. In that time she spent with Claus in the desert, he made her stop worrying too much and they both opened up to each other, she told him about her family being "abandoned" nobles who need her help and Claus told her about his parents, it's very likely the first time Tatiana had this kind of relationship with a guy, and her being much more simple-minded than she lets out, developed a crush on him because of that brief time she felt comfortable enough to to open up to someone besides Alister. It makes sense with how Tatiana was characterized in the story, her crush on Claus was just a result of her lack of experience when it comes to forming close bonds with other people, and even Alister calls her out on this.

I'm not saying this episode was handled perfectly or anything, Sophia kising Claus was unnecessary for sure, but I can't really agree with the claims that Tatiana's crush and Lavie's jealousy come out of nowhere. This whole conflict was being built up to ever since Tatiana criticized Lavie as a navigator and Claus decided that he and Lavie should stay aboard the Silvana to help with protecting Alvis without giving much thought to how Lavie feels about that decision. The problem with this episode is that they tried to make Sophia's relationship with Alex and the issue with Claus and Lavie/Tatiana intertwine, but they never built up to that specifically.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 9, 2020 2:54 PM
Dec 2019
-Ryu said:
Recynon said:
Bland looking male protagonist is bland. Who would've thought. I'm starting to really hate the trope where a male protagonist gets love from women just because he's a generic nice guy when they're in vulnerable positions. There's probably some truth to it in real life, if you have the accompanying charisma and looks, but come on these protagonists are just saying generic nice guy things.

There was this scene in Justice League where Batman got Cheetah to kiss him despite it being the first time talking to her, but 1) He's fricking Batman with Kevin Conroy's voice. 2) He actually said something that appealed to her past and indicated that he understood Cheetah's emotions.

This whole episode is soap opera melodrama. Sure, you can come up with good excuses and in-story reasons for why people acted the way they did, but you can also come up with equally good reasons for why there wouldn't be melodrama. The fact of the matter is, they writers wanted the love triangle shit. Despite not having an on-screen conversation beforehand, one day and night in the desert is enough for Tatiana to fall for him. Sophia's kiss was also unnecessary- we understood her vulnerability from Alex's rejection just fine without it. Sophia and Klaus have also not had an on-screen conversation getting to know each other before this. I would've understood if they had at least talked about shared experiences a few times before the scene, but nope.

I was about to say that Lavie's jealousy doesn't make sense, but Ryu's comment above me reminded me of the context. It does make sense, but the combination of everything else makes it seem like a calculated contribution to the melodrama rather than a natural part of Lavie's arc.

Claus did appeal Tatiana's internal conflict in the desert, though. It was established earlier that she's very serious about upholding the honor of her family's name in the battlefield in order to provide financial support for her mother and her father who's suffering from an illness, most of her life was dedicated to this, to the point that she never had many close friends, and she even lets something as silly as a provocation from Dio back in the race get under her skin. As a result, the fact that Silvana sunk and she could do nothing about it in that battle was utterly disgraceful for her, in her mind she failed not only as a soldier, but as a member of her family as well. In that time she spent with Claus in the desert, he made her stop worrying too much and they both opened up to each other, she told him about her family being "abandoned" nobles who need her help and Claus told her about his parents, it's very likely the first time Tatiana had this kind of relationship with a guy, and her being much more simple-minded than she lets out, developed a crush on him because of that brief time she felt comfortable enough to to open up to someone besides Alister. It makes sense with how Tatiana was characterized in the story, her crush on Claus was just a result of her lack of experience when it comes to forming close bonds with other people, and even Alister calls her out on this.

I'm not saying this episode was handled perfectly or anything, Sophia kising Claus was unnecessary for sure, but I can't really agree with the claims that Tatiana's crush and Lavie's jealousy come out of nowhere. This whole conflict was being built up to ever since Tatiana criticized Lavie as a navigator and Claus decided that he and Lavie should stay aboard the Silvana to help with protecting Alvis without giving much thought to how Lavie feels about that decision. The problem with this episode is that they tried to make Sophia's relationship with Alex and the issue with Claus and Lavie/Tatiana intertwine, but they never built up to that specifically.

Yeah, you're probably right. I rewatched the episode again and I definitely overreacted to Lavie and Tatiana, because I thought they were going to extend the drama but it's never really brought up again.
Nov 30, 2020 3:15 AM

May 2020
Childhood Best Friend ? Check.
Tsundere-ish/Asshole who eventually warms up ? Check.
Loli/Little Sister-type ? Check.
Older sister/MILF-type ? Check.
Trap/Androgynous Male that's interested in our M.C ? Check.
Dense and Bland M.C ? Check.

I can't believe I've been bamboozled into watching a harem.
Feb 22, 2021 3:40 AM
Jul 2020
MisatoxShinji let's gooo!!!

wait wrong anime.
May 22, 2021 6:14 AM

Jun 2016
Lavie and Tatiana have conflicted feelings for Claus. Meanwhile, Dio brings a familiar picture to Claus' attention, and he questions Alex about it.

Wow, damn, kiss outta nowhere... should I have been expecting it? Absolutely not, much like I was not expecting there to be a confusing love triangle.

Not much to say about this episode, apart from Lavie and Tatiana jumped to conclusions way too quickly. Alex hiding the truth doesn't bother me at all.

Jul 19, 2021 4:32 PM

Aug 2017
Looking at Lavie barefooted, I can't help but think how huge her flying boots look. Same for Tatiana.

Also I've lost count of how many times that ginger-haired girl on the listening post of the bridge turned her face towards the camera. I'm pretty sure it's all reused animation. Which is pretty hilarious since it seems to be a pattern with anime that shows ships with crew members doing various things.

Alis and Alvis are some of the most perceptive characters in the show, I swear

I *knew* Sophia would do this!

I appreciate cliothekira's interpretation of Sophie. But the harem implications don't come from what Sophie did by itself, but because it seems like everyone and their mother has the hots for Claus.

Tatiana also experienced his kindness while in a vulnerable state (though I didn't understand her need to change into another uniform), I don't see how it's that different from Sophia. And Lavie is his closest person, so no feelings (temporary or not) come out of the blue. Also, like, a kiss doesn't mean Sophia "loves" Klaus lmao. It's not the first time such a situation happens in anime when there're no romantic feelings involved. It almost seems like people like to throw around the term "forced drama" regardless of whether it actually describes the events of the show.
St0rmbladeJul 19, 2021 4:47 PM
Jul 28, 2021 3:03 AM

Dec 2020
jeez why are they so obsessed with Tatiana wearing Claus's overall
Dec 9, 2021 4:21 PM

Jun 2010
This series is plotted like a 50-episode series that has excessive amounts of running time to fill and meanders around but of course actually it's over halfway over and many seemingly basic things are mysterious. Disith "collasped" but the war is still going? Why do they have "migration ships"? Alex is making war on the Guild? But we've never seen him do anything against them except defend his ship from them once and get the magical bauble that Delphine wanted. What is this show even about?
Dec 29, 2021 4:30 PM

Oct 2017
What the heck was that kiss for ???

Nov 15, 2022 11:27 AM

Aug 2019
Finally got into Alex's backstory, and learned more about Exile. I'm assuming that's what create the grand stream right?

Also what was that kiss at the end? That feels like it came out of nowhere
Nov 18, 2022 1:49 PM

Dec 2018
this show has become a fucking disaster. i've revised my original score of 7/10 to a 2/10. i would rather sit on a cactus than suffer through more of this horse crap with the story going NOWHERE at 15 damn episodes. there are entire shows that can wrap up a storyline in 12 or 16.
Jan 26, 2023 12:57 PM

Apr 2016
I'm not against harems but it feels incredibly out of place for Sophia to hit on Claus. Sophia has been surrounded by men on this ship for... how many years? She knows them quite well and has been through combat experience with them. But here she is, attracted to a boy she just met a few days ago. Also feels strange for her to suddenly be depicted as being wishy-washy when earlier in the series she seemed to have her act together.

That said, I'd be fine with Claus getting with Alvis or Sophia. Lavie is upset now but she has never broached romance to Claus. They always keep off as platonic brother and sister, nothing more.

LeeTailor said:
What the hell is this high school melodrama BS? The entire episode was basically girls fawning over Claus. It's really, really annoying and it makes me unable to take the show seriously.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
Get ready for the buzzwords.
This anime has slowly became, if not evident from the start, half horrible mystery which leads the audience along like a carrot on a sick, half melodramatic harem of forced drama.  I get Lavie and Claus being dumb kids, but Tatiana proves even further why she's a bad pilot who can't control herself, and then that last scene?  Everyone in this anime except for Alex acts like a child and it ruins the tone it tries so hard to set up.  I can't take it seriously at all due to how everyone acts, they are on the most powerful ship in the sky and the crew are kindergartners.
What an awful episode.  The character writing and story writing in this are bad.  Only good is the soundtrack, directing, visuals, if the episode focuses on them it's good, if not it turns into some garbage like this episode. 
One of the more disappointed I've gotten about an anime due to the great start.

Yeah. Earlier the show seemed to be more serious, though by this point it's feeling really contrived and messy.

Will_do_it_later said:
jeez why are they so obsessed with Tatiana wearing Claus's overall

On a prior episode discussion someone suggested that Tatiana soiled herself during/because of the crash but it wasn't better signaled to the audience.
Feb 12, 2023 12:23 AM
Jul 2021
So once again Japan showing us that sexual assault is a-okay if it is done by a woman! WOW! Just ffuking WOW!! 

Dio can be very smart, that is, when he wants to be. 

Also Lavie showing, once again, why boys rule while girls drool! She's "upset" because Claus spend the "night"? "Nights"? with Tatiana on some desert?! WTF is wrong with this b!tch?! It's not like both of them got away on some romantic cruise and got stuck on the sand or something.

Lavie is easily the most annoying/cvnt character in the entire show! If she could have been "clipped off/out at some point" in the earlier episode it would have better for the show, less teen melodrama, less unwelcomed Bullsh!t from her! Less useless character development, less of everything bad!
DawizzFeb 13, 2023 3:27 AM
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Mar 28, 2023 5:52 PM

Oct 2022
I really sympathize with Lavie. She is right to be upset about Tatiana wearing his overalls... that's a big no no. Klaus is a weak dude. The weird thing is Tatiana's reaction to him. Seems more like she just knows he's a better pilot of those wingless aircraft than she is, and is scared to fly without him now. But she should know to stay away from him. With how much Lavie and him been through together, the idiot should be able to figure out and make a proper amends. But he's weak, so he'll act clueless and let all these women chase his dick. That kiss at the end WTF. Lavie deserves better than that dope. Shame she stuck with him for so long, what a zero.
Apr 24, 10:44 PM

Jun 2022
Of all the people to steal Claus's first kiss, Sophia was pretty low on the list tbh. Would've expected someone like Lavie or Tatiana lol
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Jul 12, 2008

104 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 23 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jul 11, 2008

37 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 19 Discussion

19 by MagicPolly »»
Jan 16, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 16 Discussion

18 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 15, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 14 Discussion

29 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 14, 6:43 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.