Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2008 8:16 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mid-life crisis x2. Looks like Nao's father won with the weak excuse.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Nov 3, 2010 10:51 PM

Jun 2010
Love how the mom gave in lol
May 6, 2013 7:13 PM

Jan 2013
Not the best episode ever.
Needs more yuri or something.
Oct 21, 2013 10:54 PM
Aug 2011
I liked it.

RediceRyan said:
Needs more yuri or something.

Fuck I wish I could delete shit comments like these for a series like this.
Jun 25, 2014 9:21 PM

Nov 2010
"Vroom vroom yourself." Nao's mother's way of telling her father that he has to masturbate, because she's not letting him near her pussy. Quite drastic, considering she wants a motorcycle of her own after one ride.
Aug 5, 2014 6:19 PM

Nov 2013
I got some Kino no Tabi vibes from this beginning of this episode. The motocycle-riding sequences were beautiful.

One can interpret the motocycle as the dad's personal wind: fun and useful at first, but with the potential to be deadly, as demonstrated by his accident. The resulting anxiety from the accident takes away some of his joy, preventing him from riding his motorcycle (or in other terms, controlling the wind) as freely as he used to.

Near the end of the episode, he deceives his wife into believing he bought the motorcycle for her, but in a way, he actually told the truth. The motorcycle is his form of wind now. What was his wind before? Nao, of course. He and his wife have raised her to be a fine young girl, and now that they no longer have that wind to guide, he looks for a new wind and eventually rediscovers it in the form of his motorcycle. After being introduced to it, she realizes that she too would like to control the wind and re-experience that joy that she and her husband once shared.
Mar 23, 2015 5:20 PM

Oct 2012
Somehow this episode made me really want to try Motorcycling.
Jan 13, 2017 5:22 PM

Jul 2012
Hard to put into words the experience of watching this episode but it sure was beautiful. The world of windy tales is spontaneous and natural in the truest sense.
Jan 13, 2017 5:23 PM

Jul 2012
Tien said:
I got some Kino no Tabi vibes from this beginning of this episode. The motocycle-riding sequences were beautiful.

One can interpret the motocycle as the dad's personal wind: fun and useful at first, but with the potential to be deadly, as demonstrated by his accident. The resulting anxiety from the accident takes away some of his joy, preventing him from riding his motorcycle (or in other terms, controlling the wind) as freely as he used to.

Near the end of the episode, he deceives his wife into believing he bought the motorcycle for her, but in a way, he actually told the truth. The motorcycle is his form of wind now. What was his wind before? Nao, of course. He and his wife have raised her to be a fine young girl, and now that they no longer have that wind to guide, he looks for a new wind and eventually rediscovers it in the form of his motorcycle. After being introduced to it, she realizes that she too would like to control the wind and re-experience that joy that she and her husband once shared.

Thank you for sharing your reflections on the show. Very interesting!
Jun 7, 2017 4:39 AM
Nov 2015
SHITTTT still not able to break the streak, damn!!
Jun 7, 2017 4:41 AM
Nov 2015
The scene in the tunnel and from the tunnel out, when the trees receded and the valley appeared, and then this crazy golden forest (autumn??). Damn it one of the most beautiful anime ever.
I like the way the sun is shown reflected in almost everything, like the shiny motorbike or the hospital window, and it looks like paintings!!!
Apr 24, 2018 7:43 AM

Mar 2016
Re-watching: It's really nice when an anime puts some focus on family. Doubly so when you see the parents of a character interact in such an organic way. All the episodes are so engrossing in their own way, this one is no exception. Also, I think it highlights that despite a lot of the characters having a somewhat mysterious aura about them, this series is both very expressive and personable.
stand said:
Fuck I wish I could delete shit comments like these for a series like this.

No matter how much time passes, it's still painful to read. Some people should just not watch certain series.
Aug 1, 2021 1:52 PM
Dec 2019
I feel like each episode is definitely trying to say something, but I just can't make enough out of the mundanity and wind metaphors to pinpoint it. For this one I'll try. It seems to be talking about a disillusionment with the feeling of freedom/passion for a hobby or perhaps childhood in general. The thing where the cat floats on air rather than flies seems to disappoint Nao enough for her to say that she doesn't find joy in taking pictures anymore, because the freedom represented by the wind and the clouds has been restricted. Similarly, the motorcycle accident restricts the initial feeling of freedom from riding a motorcycle. Nao's dad ends up riding again, and it's shown that the cat flies to the motorcycle.

Though simple, this could be commenting on how the sense of freedom, fun, and possibility one gets during childhood is curtailed by learning more as an adult, but hopefully this sense can still be sustained.
May 12, 2022 6:23 PM

Jul 2019
Today's episode motif of wind is indeed the motorcycle. I've thought a little about wanting to try one, but I guess it's even more fun as presented here.

Even with the trouble it can bring, it's still something of a good fun hobby to get into lol.

God I don't even know how I remember this episode well. Watched it yesterday.
Feb 3, 2023 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
Such a sweet episode! Really loved Nao's family dynamic. The camera angles of the bike riding sequences were pretty neat as well.
Feb 10, 2023 8:50 PM

Sep 2020
Very good ep, nice seeing other characters get some stories in, especially adults not acting their age.

Doubly touching since my own dad got a motorcycle suddenly one day when I was young and we went for a ride around the block (my only ride too).

The theme looks to be "thrill."
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 10 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 20, 2008

12 by melanpon »»
Jan 16, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 13 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 24, 2008

20 by ManuelFragment »»
Aug 13, 2023 10:37 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 1 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jun 29, 2008

26 by Bebop_the_Bear »»
Apr 11, 2023 6:26 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 8 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 10, 2008

13 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 10, 2023 8:43 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 7 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 9, 2008

10 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 10, 2023 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.