Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2011 11:03 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I actually enjoyed this special!
The ending was superb and the treasure they were seeking was quite fabulous, even though they could not take it. It saddens me that Maria is left all alone in her bar, but that kiss was cute heartwarming.

The idea of comrades fighting each other has been done to death, but Fujiko not attempting to double-cross continuously was a plus.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2013 12:14 AM

Jun 2010
This does a number of things I like;
Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon spend a lot of the movie apart and Lupin's wheedling doesn't move them for once.

Jigen and Goemon both miscalculate and stumble into trouble and Lupin has to bail them out when it's usually the other way around.

In the absence of any significant role for Zenigata, it has the guts to do something weird like turn him into a joke who won't shut up about food rather than shoehorning a token chase scene in.

Lupin's relationship with the requisite pretty woman character is a little ambiguous; she condemns him for what he is (a greedy treasure hunter) and doesn't help him in the final run to the treasure even though she knows it's very dangerous.

Goemon is used for comedy at the very end.

It's a shame then that I actually thought it was kind of dull.

The masculine drama of Jigen's quest for revenge against Mash was a bit hokey and Goemon's obsession with his sword difficult to care about.

The arms dealer secondary villain doesn't contribute much but a way for Fujiko to get involved (since her hanging around with either of the feuding generals would be a bit implausible). Even then Fujiko doesn't do that much so the whole thing feels fairly pointless.

Jigen's nemesis Mash is somewhat ridiculous (golden fangs?).

A few of the scene transitions are very jarring such as when Maria blows up her bar and she and Lupin ride horses to her secret hideout all in the space of about five seconds, or when Lupin and Fujiko suddenly flit off to Geneva.

Jigen's final duel with Mash is very perfunctory and almost totally non-animated. As Goemon's storyline ended with him looking foolish, I think I would have preferred Jigen to be denied his revenge by having Mash be washed away with everyone else irrespective of his particular misdeeds. Add to this Maria correctly comparing Lupin with the thieving generals and this movie would have an interesting grain of satire of the characters to it.
Feb 20, 2015 3:56 AM

Sep 2010
i don't understand how the bar is perfectly repaired at the end, and why would she stay? there's nobody there.. :/
Dec 12, 2015 10:31 PM

Jul 2008
Not the most interesting movie but I liked Jigen and Goemon going at it.
May 6, 2019 4:38 PM

Sep 2011
I liked how Lupin, Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko met each other on that island by chance while each one of them were doing their own thing. It felt natural and nice. I just feel bad for Zenigata, he had no role to play, he just made a cameo to suffer.

Maria was also a nice character, she was there to be the voice of the people who were wronged and dragged into this conflict by the interests of the powerful. But Lupin wasn't like them, at least he usually doesn't drag anyone innocent, let alone a nation, down while looking for a treasure. I liked when Lupin and Fujiko teamed up to steal the box and the key, but it was weird of them to just let Jigen and Goemon there without being sure if they were going to last until they came back to rescue them. But the "fight" between Goemon and Jigen was nice, and the rescue cool. It's a pity that the "treasure" was dangerous and not really something the gang would want even after all that work.

It was also nice that Jigen was able to get his revenge, and that Goemon managed to cut the box with a gentle touch after trying to cut it with all his might. xD
Jun 27, 2020 2:29 PM

Nov 2010
Pretty good film. I like that it's a very character-driven story, where all of our main characters have their own goals and motivations. It makes sense for all of them to be there and do what they do. Except for maybe Zenigata who doesn't do much.

Mash was also a very entertaining villain. He's just such an asshole.
Jul 26, 2020 1:42 PM

Oct 2017
Of the two Dezaki Lupin works I've watched that being Bye Bye Liberty and this one I'd say Liberty is a head better for its more pronounced painted stills. But the rain sequences in this one were pretty cool. Zenigata cowering in the rain was funny.
Oct 6, 2020 1:01 PM

Nov 2016
Poor Zenigata, suffering again haha.

And with Fujiko as teacher I wouldn't be able to pay attention.

Ah, forgot to mention that this another Dezaki Lupin with a touching moment towards the end.
FMmatronOct 6, 2020 1:07 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 16, 2023 11:22 PM

Dec 2021
Loved it, easily. I don't think I can easily express why I love this one so much, but it's very much my favorite pre-2000s Lupin movie. 9/10.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.