Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2008 11:28 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Discussion for the short called "Cross Fire"

This was exactly the type of thing I expected when I first heard about the project. The dark mood and tone was perfect throughout with the freaky what I assume to be Arkham, and just the way they portrayed Batman during the fight scenes. Not much story wise, but seeing a buffed up batman pound on some guys is always nice, even if he seemed a little more powerful than he should be.
Jun 28, 2008 2:02 PM

Jan 2008
This had quite probably the worst dialogue I've ever heard in an anime. Ever.

Didnt even feel like Production I.G either.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 29, 2008 12:45 AM

Apr 2008
This was uncomfortable to watch.

The stereotypical cop banter was kind of annoying, but the fact that the dub wasn't synched to their mouths started getting on my nerves more.

Gonna do something Batman? No? Just stand in the fire? Okay.

That was Production I.G?!

It really felt like they didn't understand the subject material.
Jun 30, 2008 4:43 PM

May 2007
I honestly didn't like this one too much. I'm sad to say that I didn't like it because Production I.G is my favorite studio, and usually their work is amazing. Sorry Production I.G, this was teh uber fail.
Pokedude97Jun 30, 2008 6:02 PM
Jun 30, 2008 9:04 PM

Sep 2007
Maybe it's only because of how bad the first episode was, but I liked this one a lot. The animation was great and the camerawork was very stylish at times. The overall mood and atmosphere was a lot better as well and captured the darker mood. I also liked how Gordon was drawn to look similar to Gary Oldman.

Batman was a bit overpowered and evidently flameproof, but I'll take that over the pathetic Batman from ep 1 anyday.
Jul 1, 2008 6:36 PM

Oct 2007
The atmosphere and tone in this episode were pretty good, but other than that it was on the bad side.

Jul 3, 2008 2:39 AM

Feb 2008
I have to say that I really liked this one, though I didn't like the fact that they made Batman way to overpowered.
Jul 5, 2008 9:04 PM

Sep 2007
I liked the art style in this one as well but they did make him a bit... overpowered... who stands in fire... honestly.
Jul 9, 2008 10:53 AM

Mar 2008
I think a lot of people are having problems with the different versions portrayed in the different shorts but I think you should look more at the overall story as though these are different interpretations of Batman just like how he has been interpreted in the comics. Through the overall story is the only way I can see this relating to the Batman movies at all since style and power wise Batman and Bruce vary through all the shorts.

That said I like how this episode showed the problem many cops in the Gotham Police had with letting a vigilante work with them as shown through the cop Crispus Allen, a character the writer of this episode Greg Rucka created in the comics. I was a little disappointed in Production I.G's work on this one. It showed the insanity of the Asylum pretty well and kind of the overall craziness of the city in the way the used colors but it just didn't feel up to their usual quality. I also felt this was the worst in terms of voice syncing.

As far as Batman being overpowered I liked that. It's cool to see him portrayed that way sometimes like in some of Frank Miller's work. This was the most badass of Batman's designs through all the shorts. His standing in the fire is probably due to heat resistant clothing. This wasn't one of the best but it was probably my favorite of the first three. In terms of continuity with the others they mention Bruce Wayne's satellites being launched that he would use later as well as the ongoing war between the Russians and Italians and the beginnings of the police acceptance of Batman.
quicksilver111Jul 10, 2008 3:30 PM
Jul 9, 2008 11:19 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Firefox265 said:
I liked the art style in this one as well but they did make him a bit... overpowered...

Yeah I agree on that. But the animation was a bit better than in episode one. Even though if the dialog animation (eyes, mouth) was a bit simple. I'm still not convinced but there are 4 more episodes to do.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 10, 2008 8:42 AM

Mar 2008
I didn't think it was that bad. The animation was pretty good. The dialogue wasn't the best, but it didn't bother me any.
Jul 10, 2008 3:24 PM

Mar 2008
I loved it. Pretty cool and great animation style.

Just what I expected from great Production I.G.
Jul 17, 2008 12:44 AM

Feb 2008
The animation here was done well, meaning there were no glaring mistakes, but I preferred the creativity and innovation of the first episode. Also, they had a thread in the episode going on about the police's reactions to Batman's presence. That could have really gone somewhere if the dialogue hadn't been so generic. I didn't really see any interesting spin on the Batman story here.
Mar 21, 2011 1:39 PM

Aug 2010
Much better than the first one, this one had a boring start, but by the end, I was hooked. Batman pawns those gangsters!
Bum Bum Dum Dum

May 9, 2013 4:30 PM
Mar 2012
5/5, Loved it!

I found my self cracking up in the end, hahahahahh

the cross fire was epic, but in reality a jump from that height should've left Alan dead.
Apr 14, 2014 11:50 PM

Jun 2009
Fairly interesting, but not exactly my ideal interpretation of the character.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 24, 2014 5:59 AM

May 2012
That was pretty awesome, quite lovely action! Let's see what's next.
Mar 13, 2015 7:19 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, that was pretty intense.
Dec 27, 2018 1:44 AM

Aug 2015
Love the art deco style of the cityscape. This is more of a classic Batman animation than the first episode.
Sep 6, 2020 6:59 PM

Jan 2017
I liked it. That whole time baldy was just dissing Batman only to be left in a childlike wonder that could easily compare to the children in the first short. The story seemed a little rushed though. They just happened to park between two big crime bosses? I could see it happening on TV though because They have to hurry so they can fit in within the time block along with a few ads.

I didn't like the animation style as much as the first though. Typical comic book cartoon look, nothing brought anything new to the table.
Feb 22, 2022 9:28 PM

Jan 2009
who cares if Batman is a Vigilante i mean all heroes are Vigilantes anyway

good american cartoon style character designs too

More topics from this board

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 5 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

30 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 22, 2023 2:20 AM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 1 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

25 by bushman66 »»
Apr 20, 2022 6:33 PM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 6 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

23 by deg »»
Feb 23, 2022 4:26 AM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 4 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

23 by deg »»
Feb 22, 2022 9:58 PM

Poll: » Batman: Gotham Knight Episode 3 Discussion

MEGATRON - Jun 27, 2008

20 by deg »»
Feb 22, 2022 9:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.