Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2011 5:26 AM

Jul 2009
Things sometimes didn't end well,,,

Oh well 7/10, thank god the anime only have 11 episodes, i'll just pretend that the 2nd half never existed
Jul 27, 2011 3:28 AM

Jun 2009
I just realized something.

It would be HELLA awkward to watch the second half if it was done in live action.

Overall I enjoyed the manga. First half much moreso than the second just like every one of you.

The ending... it like I read a doujin or a fanfic. I applaud the author for going for a different, very off the wall ending. Was it an ending deserving for the series? I don't feel so.

Second half felt very rushed. I would have liked to see how Kouki got the scar (unless I missed it). For the first half, Rin's growing pains would have fit well with the direction the first half was going. I would have liked to see Daikichi freak out over the growing pains, consulting the other women about it. But it's done and over with.

I'm disappointed. I spent the last couple hours reading the last 17 chapters. After averaging the two halfs, overall I'd give it 7.5/10
Sly-GuyJul 27, 2011 3:44 AM
Jul 27, 2011 5:15 AM
Jan 2011
well like it or hate it, its over now. though i agree the first half was way better.
Jul 27, 2011 2:09 PM

Sep 2010
I completely agree with m4rc0's post. What a disappointing turn of events for a very promising manga. D:

I honestly wouldn't have minded Daikichi and Rin ending up together if there were more hints along the way (maybe something like Hagu and Hanamoto-sensei from Honey & Clover). But this was just obviously thrown in there at the end.

Welps, I'm going to continue reading My Girl by Saharu Mizu, which covers a very similar topic, but has been much more enjoyable for me (the art too!).
Jul 28, 2011 4:44 AM
Jan 2011
Cycho said:

The ending... it like I read a doujin or a fanfic. I applaud the author for going for a different, very off the wall ending. Was it an ending deserving for the series? I don't feel so.

Personally, I wouldn't call this ending very of the wall, such turn of event is quite standard for my opinion for certain genre. This is usual if protagonists starting to live together even in case of no romantic involvement present at start this usually tends to be so toward the end of a manga.
Jul 30, 2011 8:56 AM

Jun 2008
I didn't think it was that bad until the final time skip at the end. The last few volumes seemed so rushed.
rurupoi said:

I honestly wouldn't have minded Daikichi and Rin ending up together if there were more hints along the way (maybe something like Hagu and Hanamoto-sensei from Honey & Clover). But this was just obviously thrown in there at the end.

I always shipped it but it would have been so much better if there were more hints.
Jul 30, 2011 12:22 PM
Jan 2011
maarsaalis said:

how can you judge Rin's feelings as unrealistic just because it happened suddenly? it works exactly like that, quick and unexpectedly for teenagers like her.

That would be correct if Daikichi won't be her "father" figure for the most of her life. I'm personally seen such cases when very young girls go head over the heels after much older guys (but never seen with such age difference of 24 years as shown here), but those guys are not their parents. More to say, young girls usually confronting with their fathers in certain age period? and not wanting to sleep with them for sure.
Even more, if Rin's feelings are maybe logical from teenager's point of view, but Daikichi's are not. As an adult he should have much more awareness and consequences of such decision. For example, outsiders knowing hos situation may run to conclusion that he is a pedophile and actually was using Rin in some way while raising her. Such suspicions will be very hard to neglect in daily life, and if authorities become curious it will be big problem from the legal side, in fact they will need to move out to somewhere else, and start the life from a scratch but even that cannot guarantee absence of the complications.
Aug 5, 2011 1:28 AM
Aug 2010
Alot of people don't seem to understand the difference between facts and opinions, so first i'd like to make clear these are my opinions.

Im completely disgusted with the ending.

I loved the first half, it was so sweet and innocent.For me it was like reading yotsubato, except it had progression and showed the trials and trbulations of raising a child as a single parent.

Now, imagine in yotsubato there was a time skip and then seemingly out of nowhere yotsuba hooks up with her dad - thats what this ending feels like for me.

As much as I hate to be one of those people, this manga really trainwrecked.
Aug 5, 2011 1:48 AM

Sep 2008
maarsaalis said:
thread mostly full of fucking casuals and young persons who think DaikichixRin is random and creepy, because they don't know about situations like this irl.

how can you judge Rin's feelings as unrealistic just because it happened suddenly? it works exactly like that, quick and unexpectedly for teenagers like her.

A. young people not knowing a young persons feelings, nice logical fallacy there bro. Also what are you some wizened sage at the ripe old age of 18?

and B. No Rin's feelings where unrealistic because the enormous logic gap and and the sheer amount of ass pull plot convenience the author had to use just to get them together.

She friend zones Kouki( a guy she's been in love with for a long time) because "he feels like a brother", yet she fall in love with the guy who is her father figure and possibly blood related at the time. see Enormous logic gap

Her giving up on Kouki was also one of the ass pulls, the only reason Kouki went out with the other girl because she threatened him, which he never bothers to explain to Rin, he just kinda gives up and they go on like nothing ever happened.

Ass pull number 2, Kouki's mom getting married, she was in love with Daikichi and yet refused to go out with/ marry him just because she never wanted to marry again, yet she gets married anyways to some to some random guy, for no reason what so ever and it's never even remotely explained. The Author just married her off to get her out of the way.

Ass pull number 3, Them not being related, never even hinted at, you don't even know who the father is or is it ever really explained, and it just comes out of no where.

The Author basically fucked up every single interesting plot point the second act had just to get two characters together that made no sense together and didn't even need to be together.
JigeroAug 5, 2011 1:56 AM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 5, 2011 5:09 AM

Apr 2009
I'm terribly disappointed with the conclusion and the second half. Just like most people have posted, the decision that Daikichi chooses at the end is completely unrealistic and rushed. You can't flip your way of thinking just like that, especially after behaving another way for the past 10+ years. Through out the manga, Daikichi exhibited a very logical and level-headed way to thinking and doing, but that was thrown out the window in the final volumes.

6/10 for me. Time skip dropped it.
Aug 5, 2011 4:18 PM

Dec 2008
I loved the first half of this series....I've invested a good 4 years into it as a whole, waiting for each chapter to come.

The time skip was was a bit hard to accept....especially when only getting a chapter around every month I had thought I missed something, mind-blown that she just *pop* grew up.

That was quite easy to get over though...the ending to this manga though...
I was pleading in my head that the author was leading us on.

Pardon the frankness...

But Daikichi was enjoyable to watch because he took on a little girl and brought her up from a young age single-handedly , going through all the trials and tribulations that come along with it.

Him being sexually attracted, to a girl that he has viewed as his daughter for 10 years unquestionably, is out of character in what the author has presented us with.

He claimed it was the cruelest thing she could do to him, but yet two years later just says "Ahhh, why not?".

The love you have for a child is much more different than the mix of love and lust you need to feel for a lover, and from how Daikichi was (slightly) developed, It's hard to seem him capable of sleeping with his daughter.

Yes ,they are not blood related, but she IS his daughter; and Daikichi never stuck me as the type to fancy young girls at all nor throughout the series have an emotion or thought towards Rin besides fatherly love.

To each author their own, but the series had such much potential to go a way where it could have been a really touching story.

7/10
Aug 6, 2011 7:03 AM

Jun 2010
He pratically becomes Rin's father then at of nowhere Rin's like, I like you! It only takes him ma couple of chapters till he's like, Should we get married then? What's his mom and everybody gonna think. That was way too much of a twist for me. I completly thought that him and Kouki's mom were gonna get married and that Rin and Kouki liked eachother. And the last chapter was way too much for me i can't see Rin and Daikichi in a romantic relationship at all.
Aug 6, 2011 11:58 AM
Aug 2011
I am fine with the way things even up till the point when Rin revealed her feelings for Daikichi. Aside from the fact that she is still a teenager and she never thought of him as her dad (just "Daikichi"), its also partially the fault of Daikichi's parenting skills (he should had placed greater boundaries when Rin was a teenager -- not to change clothes in front of her, be more strict when scolding or not allowing Rin to touch/smell him THAT often would have helped). Even if Rin was not confused or was actually sure of her feelings, there is a chance that she may change or this matter could have been resolved differently. Rin's perspective is really twisted, but tolerable in my opinion as it does happen in the real world, and that can be changed as she is still young.

But Daikichi accepting Rin's proposal is beyond what I understand about humanity. To me, that really just destroyed the whole manga...Having brought up a child as a guardian for so long, he shud have known better. If if he does accept, few points to consider: 1 - he is accepting the most cruel thing (which he already mentioned in the first place) that he will hv to endure for d rest of his life -- the internal conflict that you are going to sleep / have kids with your own daughter?. 2 - he will have failed to consider that kind of marriage is NEVER stable, related to point 1; 3 - they will face scrutiny from society and family; 4 - It is revealed they are not blood-related, but its not easy to erase that from their family registrar (I recall clearly Rin's name is already in there), and technically they cannot marry each other as they are still legally related. 5 - the child they bear may be treated as abomination, which is very unfair for the child, moreover it will be weird towards outsiders for the child to have a mom and a 'granddad' as guardians, 6 - he will have failed to consider that Rin will have a horrible future, say if something were to happen to Daikichi early cuz of his overly wide age gap, and she will likely be unable find another man of her age to marry with cuz this marriage will have already tainted her status,...Point 6 is most important, because ignoring point 6 would mean that Daikichi has failed his role as a parent for failing to consider what's best for Rin and all those years of hardwork will go down the drain.
Aug 6, 2011 12:53 PM
Jul 2011
I'm going to agree with most of the fans here; I was heavily disappointed. To be honest, I was worried from the start that the manga was going to end up Daikichi x Rin, but after awhile I started believing that Daikichi and Rin's relationship was strictly father-daugther. But I guess my fears turned out to be right...sigh.

That being said, I will still love Usagi Drop. It's got a terrible ending, but I still love the first part of the series and the father-daughter bonding that Daikichi and Rin had. I had truly wanted Daikichi to find a woman around his age to fall in love with and as for Kouki, I wouldn't have mind whatever Rin chose to keep her relationship with him as, but I really didn't want their relationship to turn romantic. They aren't related, but that doesn't mean they can sleep with each other now. I mean, they can, but you don't go from father-daughter to romantic partners. I mean, even if Rin really did love Daikichi romantically, that doesn't mean Daikichi had to go along with it. askldfasjdlf;asdfjjfl;dsfasdf

That being said, I do still like this series, but I"m HEAVILY disappointed by it's ending.
Aug 8, 2011 1:53 PM
Apr 2011
Fanning the flames of taboo is what manga/anime does best LOL this time around i was just left feeling confused. I feel like i read 2 different stories.
At the time skip i thought, oh is it going to go in the direction of different phases of her life and how hes going to deal? maybe ending with her wedding to kouki or something..... boy was i wrong LOL

I guess whats left me in a huh? state was because i didnt see daikichis feelings develop. Just a glimpse of it at the end which i suppose i could work with and accept naturally but that was it, like it needed a few more chapters to conclude it for him rather than just it being well should we get married then? lol I understand that it would take time to develop that way if it could at all, and as a manga it usually doesnt make much sense anyway LOL but i just feel sorry for the poor guy and this big emotional blank he received as his conclusion. He was pretty abandoned in favour of rins 'fantasies'
Aug 8, 2011 9:31 PM
Aug 2008
Like many of you here, I hate the ending. First half was really cute, second half was okay. In fact, I liked the second half, but I would've preferred to have a more gradual timeskip to see Rin through middle school and that.

Anyway, I saw the signs in the second half a little earlier on that Rin had feelings for Daikichi and I was okay with that. I thought that she was having a father-complex and that she'd grow out of it or something. And here I thought Daikichi only thought of her as a daughter. Hell, he raised her as a daughter. I have no problems with age differences in relationships, but I do get weirded out when someone who raised a kid as a daughter/son decides to just get married to them.

I was really hoping she'd grow out of her feelings for Daikichi, go to school for elementary education or something, and find a boyfriend in college (or ended up marrying Kouki). Not this crap. And it's quite annoying when the author suddenly throws all these factors into the story at the end just to make the two get together. And then Rin wants to have a kid with him? Too weird for me.

7/10, and I'm being generous.
Aug 13, 2011 2:13 AM

May 2009
*sigh*
Echoing pretty much how most people feel about this series. The first half was beyond adorable, but it turned into another run-of-the-mill series when the focus turned to Rin's school life and love troubles. And then it just got unpleasant with Rin's feelings for Daikichi, especially how the entire arc was handled - abrupt revelations and out-of-character actions that just left a bad taste in my mouth.

The last few pages were sweet, though, somewhat reminiscent of the first half of the series.
Aug 15, 2011 1:26 PM
Jun 2011
@maarsaalis;
The following are totally natual progressions for the story;
- Rin rejecting Kouki
- Rin having feelings for Daikichi

But the following are total cop outs that were made to come up with the ending;
- Daikichi giving in to her demand when he clearly has no romantic feelings toward her and has really strong paternal feelings which run counter to any ideas of romantic love
- Daikichi had strong convictions about right and wrong; including when he decides to take care of Rin in the first place when the other relatives try to push her off to an orphanage
- Kouki's mom is without warning married off to some dude as if simply to take her out of the picture
- Rin's mom makes the declaration that she isn't Grandpa's daughter.

If the author's intent was to make us uncomfortable and have an unpredictable ending then they shouldn't have bothered with the latter two points. So yeah, justify it as much as you like but the ending deserves all the criticism its getting. In fact if there are more chapters to come later then I'm sure the author herself will have sense enough to have Daikichi have a change of heart about him and Rin soon after the final chapter's events.

Anyway, even regardless of the ending, like many others I too found the second half a drag and would have dropped it had it not been for the excellent first half;

In the first half the story was pretty much Daikichi's pov and Rin doing cute slice of life stuff and that's what made the story so endearing. In the second half they pretty much relegated him to a supporing character and the teenage school life shown in the series has no heart at all and none of the kids are likeable or funny or have any real redeeming qualities. Rin meeting her mother is probably the only good thing in the second half.
spigotAug 15, 2011 1:35 PM
Aug 16, 2011 4:18 PM

Jul 2011
Totally disappointing ! Although it's a jousei manga, there are no excuses for this illogical, unexpected and rushed ending. It seems like the author didn't put much thought on the second part of the story and rushed it to this ... As for me i am disgusted ... Hoped Daikichi would put more fight to this... Ughhhh... pises me off...

But among the stories with shocking endings School Days owns the top place :D

savis_90Aug 19, 2011 6:41 AM
Aug 18, 2011 7:12 PM

Feb 2008
The ending that was awful. One of the reasons that I loved this manga so much, was because it glorified platonic love. Daikichi took pity on an orphaned girl when everyone else was being selfish. Beautiful. Daikichi fell in love with Kouki's mother, even after the time skip, but both of them know that their relationship wont be easy for their children, because they aren't young anymore. Respectable! Rin values Kouki's friendship but doesn't want to fall for that pretty boy! Presumably because she's a smart girl and wants to focus on school. Admirable! More girls should be like Rin! Even after the time skip, Daikichi still treats her like his very own natural-born daughter. Just adorable. Rin has a crush on Daikichi, someone who treats her like his own natural-born daughter. Then he eventually gives in to, what some would call, her Electra Complex. Rin's go to aspiration is to become Daikichi's housewife. Awful. Unsatisfying. Already been said.
Aug 19, 2011 6:01 PM

Jul 2010
m4rc0 said:
And there we have it. The completely strange and awkward ending to that unfortunate twist the author did just to create drama in the end.

Again, NOTHING happens during a time skip, which is even more problematic given Rin's age and the big changes kids go through then.

On Daikichi's side too, there was no development.

Cirris said:
Daikichi was buying time. In his mind, I think he's hoping she will have changed her mind and found someone else who she'd have an interest in. At the very least, it gives him time to grasp what she actually wants from him.

That and graduation is the time when you become and adult and be able to make your own choices. It would make sense for him to want her to first finish school before she thinks of shacking up with him.

It's really a tight rope act Daikichi is playing. He wants Rin to find someone else to make her happy and he'd be happy for them. However, he doesn't want to lose her and shutting out her feelings too harshly could only lead her to despair.

In this chapter, when Rin asked why he chose to take her in he said, "you were crying with a terrible face, on that day." Daikichi couldn't bare the thought of Rin being alone in the world. A fate he thought would be assured if the family did send her to a facility.

Daikichi can never turn Rin away completely. As much as he's freaking out and trying to change her mind, If she persists and is adamant about being his wife, he will give in and do this.

That's exactly what happened.

Usagi Drop is a very good example of how an author can completely ruin her own story. I wonder what her editor was doing instead of his job...

The time-skip itself was a big problem. We went from a awesome manga about a single guy struggling to raise a girl to one about a high school girl's love problems... And a mediocre one, if we compare it ot other manga of the same genre.

I don't know if you guys noticed, but one of the things I didn't like about the second part is that Rin was completely figured out. In the first part, we only saw her through Daikichi's eyes and we had to figure what was going on with her together with him. In the second part, that was lost.

She could've at least make it into a high school girl's love through the eyes of her dad or something like that. But she decided to leave Daikichi as a supporting character and focus on Rin.

I feel like we lost A LOT. Like how Daikichi reacted when Rin got her first period, the first time she slept at a friend's house, the first time she was the host ofa sleepover, when she started to wear a bra and stuff like that.

We also didn't see how he would react if she brought a boyfriend home, had a broken heart and many other stuff.

The time skip was also very bad for Daikichi. NOTHING happened to him in 10 years... We could've seem how Rin not needing him so much as she got older affected his job, or him looking for a better job with good working hours and stuff like that. Also we didn't see how he would handle things if he got a girlfriend and how Rin would react to it.

Also, his father friends, Gotou-san just disappeared from the manga. Haruko also vanished and I really wanted to see what happened during her divorce.

And there was absolutely no mention of Rin's biological father, who he was, if he knew about Rin and if he did, why he didn't want to be with his daughter.

She had a lot of material to work with, but decided to throw it all away.

That thing with Kouki would've been much more interesting if we didn't know he ended up all right. Daikichi's proposal too.

Not to mention the obvious flaws in the development.

Kouki's Mom is shown to feel something for Daikichi, but she rejects him because of Kouki. Then, after Kouki is normal again, she rejects him for no reason and thinks: I'm probably not made to live with another person. Then she goes and marries another guy... That makes no sense at all.

Same thing with Rin and Kouki. Rin cared for him enough to become angry because she smelled another girl's scent in his bag... Not wanting to stay with Kouki while he still was "wild" would be ok, but she decided to give up on him just when he went straight...

Finally Rin listens to a song and then starts considering Masako her mom, even though she had met her only two or three times in he life... And it's very convenient that Rin remembered only the times Masako took care of her, because as a child she mentioned that she hated Masako because she didn't treat her well.

I really liked the first part and Daikichi was a character I really could relate with as a man. The time skip also ruined that, since he went from a decisive guy that struggled to the the right thing to a somewhat immature old man that can't handle his feelings very well.

The first part was easily one of the best dramas I read. The second part is just bland. Maybe it would've been better if it remained a single volume series as the author wrote at the end.

I love everything you pointed out! I wish she really did go through all those points.
And the 2nd rejection! That's the #1 part that confuses me the most... "I'm not fit to live with someone." Yet she says she's going to go out with some other guy!? Then on top of that... marries him or another guy!? Pretty stupid. I love volumes 1-5... after it went downhill.
Aug 19, 2011 6:32 PM
Mar 2011
I am utmost disappointed by the ending.
Time skip? What are you doing? I didn't started it for a teen romance! Okay, let's finish if I started. And then theese totally unaccountable things started to happen.
Okay, I could overcome Daikichi not getting together with Kouki's mom, it happens, adults life is hard, and anyways, we can't have everything we want. Okay, I can handle Rin not being together with Kouki, even though I think they should be. But damn, how could this -- writer make this stuff? Did the same person write the whole thing?! Rin loves Daikichi?! Grandpa not being Rin's father?
A few chapters ago I was still thinking about other problems. I wanted to know about this Akari senpai, Kouki bullied by her/by that guy and the scar in his forehead.

This manga could have been one of the greatests.Now I wish I've never even started reading it. I'm not sure about the anime either.

I can't see any other explanation: the author wanted troll us, this must be it.
Aug 21, 2011 9:37 AM

Nov 2008
I.. don't like the ending.
I planned to watch the anime.. but now, it seems I can't. (I want to see more of Rin though) T_T

Aug 21, 2011 3:04 PM
Mar 2009
talk about a cop out of an ending!
even if they aren't related, the fact is that daikachi raised rin like his daughter for over 10 years. how can anyone look at that relationship and just say to themselves "screw it let's get together?"
this ending just honestly kind of betrays the whole point of the manga.

my biggest fear is that the anime will animate this ending. if they're smart, they won't even bother with any post-time skip events.
Aug 21, 2011 10:43 PM

Jul 2010
I spent all of today reading this manga. At first, I thought it was such a beautiful manga, seeing little Rin being raised in such circumstances, and how Daikichi dealt with everything that happened. It was exceedingly interesting to watch Daikichi working out the solutions to every little problem that showed up. Rin and Daikichi developing their relationship, and basically becoming father and daughter, even though it isn't explicitly stated, it was clear in how they acted.

Then the time skip happened. A lot of the stuff that I wish I could have seen just never happened. But I can get over that, there's no manga that can cover everything. After the time skip, the manga went in a different direction. It started focusing more upon Rin instead of Rin and Daikichi both. About Rin's relationships, about her feelings, and about romance. That wasn't too bad, although I was left me desiring much more of what the first half of this manga was about.

As the series hurtled closer to the end, everything was falling apart. Big revelations just start flowing like a river, and yet nobody reacts very much. Kouki's mom gets remarried, and everybody's just kind of like damn it, little bit confused, but then it gets basically swept under the rug. What the hell?!?! What happened to Daikichi? And Rin falls in love with her father figure?! I mean, I hear that sometimes children will develop some feelings of love for their parents, but it really doesn't match up. Even if teenagers just kind of fall in love quite suddenly, there's usually a point where they realize they're in love, and a lead up to realizing they're in love. In this case, none of that happened, we're just told basically that she's in love.

Also, for Daikichi, how is it that he can come to accept the girl who he has viewed as his daughter for 10 years? And so seemingly easily as well. It's true that it was stated in a rather simple manner that they are indeed not related, but that doesn't change the fact that they have lived together as parent and child. What happened to all the development in relationship in the rest of the manga? So much time was spent developing it, and then it just goes out the window. At the end how can they just say to get married, or to have children? Humans are confusing and illogical, for sure, but they are always natural. The end of this manga just isn't natural. It doesn't flow together, and that's my biggest flaw that I can see, as I'm sure many others will agree.

All in all, I can't change the fact that I loved the first half of this manga, I'm glad I read it. I just wish this manga wasn't rushed, and I really wish that the time skip never happened. I wouldn't have minded if they skipped a few months or a year even, to get some growth in Rin, but there was so much potential for this manga in the years that were skipped. I'm stuck sitting here yearning for more than has been delivered.
Aug 21, 2011 10:58 PM

Nov 2008
BatOtaku13 said:

my biggest fear is that the anime will animate this ending. if they're smart, they won't even bother with any post-time skip events.

Hopefully, they won't. It would be better to animate all the things happened before the time skip and add more as long as Rin stays as a kid. Anymore will ruin the anime. T_T

Aug 22, 2011 12:07 PM
Nov 2010
I scored this manga as a 9 because I really loved the first half. And even when the end is kinda.... well, people already said it, most of it made no sense and it could have been way better, I think it's a good manga in a whole. Yeah, I didn't like Rin and Daikichi together, I just don't like it. And no matter if people says thinks like "they won't be like 'father' and 'daughter' for most of their lives", the point is that the important parts of Rin's life as a child were constructed with Daikichi as a father.

Still, I like the manga, one of my favorites, even if the ending was dissapointing in one way, the way of telling the story was fine in another.
Aug 23, 2011 8:05 PM

Aug 2009
The ending was disgusting. I don't care if they aren't blood related. Planning to marry and have a child with your daughter is just plain sick.
-Fixing-
Aug 27, 2011 10:28 AM

Aug 2009
The ending was rather abrupt, unsatisfying, and a bit uncomfortable. It could have gone on a little longer I felt. I can't imagine how they're going to break it to the rest of the family? Did some how not being blood related make everything okay? I mean pretty much everyone they know will think of this relationship with some level of discuss. But none the less I enjoyed it.

Anyways, I smell a doujinshi hentai coming soon... It will be one of the most uncomfortable things for some and it won't even have any loli, incest, BDSM, rape, or NTR. It'll be totally vanilla between two adults who love each other.
Aug 27, 2011 8:35 PM
Jan 2010
I kinda expected this ending to happen. I mean with a bit of foreshadowing, I think pretty early on, one would have speculations that Rin was adopted. Her mom had black hair and daikichi's gramps most probably had black hair too.

Although I must say, things were rushed. It ended wayyy too early. What felt like development that should happen in 20-30 chapters or more were rushed into like 5 or 7 chapters?

Nevertheless, I loved the ending. Whether it's pure bias or not, it's the only manga that I could say was 'a heartwarming experience', the ending made me fuzzy and smile all day. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I finished it in one sitting.

Can't wait for the extra chapters.
Aug 31, 2011 8:13 AM

Nov 2007
HOLY SHIET
Sep 3, 2011 10:04 AM

Aug 2009
cafe-kun said:
HOLY SHIET

What do you mean?
-Fixing-
Sep 8, 2011 6:22 PM

Jun 2008
oh men, im really getting sick of this cliche of "older guy falls for loli and vice versa".
This had so much potential but it turned out to be just another cliché manga.
I loved Daikichi so much, yet i never saw him as a future lover for Rin.

It disgusts me because he is practically, her adoptive father. No blood ties? F*** it.
~Blood or not, doesnt matter. If u raise someone as your son/daughter, you will never feel carnal desire for that child unless you´re a pedophile. And Rin having a father complex is gross.

yeah i still love some mangas where the older guy gets the younger girl, but not like this. They were like a true father-daughter and that´s why im so unhappy.
Also, poor Kouki. no more words from me.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Sep 10, 2011 2:38 PM

Sep 2007
OH GOD.

I have been watching the anime and I had planned to read the manga afterwards, but after I read the spoilers for the ending (after I was told that I shouldn't read)... X_X WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

How could Rin fall in love with Daikichi? He raised her like his own daughter! This ending annoys me personally, even though my story is different. My beloved grandfather isn't my biological grandfather (he's the step-father of my mother) but I love him dearly and treat him like my real grandfather and even like my own father (even though, thanks god, I have a father XD). He actually kind of raised me. That's why the idea of RIN FALLS IN LOVE WITH DAIKICHI AND THEY GET MARRIED sickens me so much. WHYYYYY did it end like that ;_;

Orulyon said:

It disgusts me because he is practically, her adoptive father. No blood ties? F*** it.
~Blood or not, doesnt matter. If u raise someone as your son/daughter, you will never feel carnal desire for that child unless you´re a pedophile. And Rin having a father complex is gross.

THIS
TaluSep 10, 2011 2:45 PM
Sep 11, 2011 7:03 AM

Aug 2007
i'm pretty sure it's not normal to fall in love with someone who raised you from a young age. i would understand if rin was over 12 years old but she was still a little kid, this shouldn't have happened.

i don't really understand how can an author ruin her own story this way. the first chapters are so innocent!
suusuuSep 11, 2011 7:08 AM
Sep 11, 2011 11:53 PM

Aug 2011
Really?? why all the rage??? I loved the ending!

I mean...yea some of the events were a bit improbable...but why do we watch anime? because in anime those improbable things can happen!!! lol

i think the author was trying to advocate the idea of destiny in love; being able to reach across, and see across the boundaries that seem to exist. and...the fact that it is overcome makes it so much more beautiful!!

also...stop hating on daikichi!! >.< its totally not okay to group him together with pedos...his love for Rin was pure, and I think the way he reacted perfectly suited the situation! lol
Sep 14, 2011 11:15 PM

Nov 2008
sunfall said:

i think the author was trying to advocate the idea of destiny in love

All I saw is Daikichi's desperation to find someone he can call a lover.
And yeah, I look up to him before this ending. You can understand Rin, being a teenager and such. But I totally can't understand Daikichi. I even remember him saying a thing or two about parenting and then this. Oh well.

Sep 14, 2011 11:27 PM

Dec 2010
kiosy said:
sunfall said:

And yeah, I look up to him before this ending. You can understand Rin, being a teenager and such. But I totally can't understand Daikichi. I even remember him saying a thing or two about parenting and then this. Oh well.
He doesn't actually harbor romantic feelings for Rin himself, but he'd do anything to make her happy. If that means marrying her... well that's what he'll do.

Kinda weird and wrong to trample on the "father" figure he was trying to make the whole time, but at the same time it makes him very much someone to look up to. It's complicated.
Sep 15, 2011 10:13 PM

Aug 2011
notsureifsrs said:
kiosy said:
sunfall said:

He doesn't actually harbor romantic feelings for Rin himself, but he'd do anything to make her happy. If that means marrying her... well that's what he'll do.

Kinda weird and wrong to trample on the "father" figure he was trying to make the whole time, but at the same time it makes him very much someone to look up to. It's complicated.

good point. i was thinking about that too, but was not sure. still not sure...yea ur right its very complicated lol
Sep 16, 2011 12:43 AM

Jan 2009
yea ppl stop hating daikichi...his love is pure...pure pedo xD leave the pedo alone :D
Sep 16, 2011 3:39 AM

May 2010
Alright I just read the manga after finishing the anime not too long ago. I've decided the manga ended much better, and I have no issue with any of it. I wouldn't be able to do that, but hey, if Daikichi's cool with it, more power to him. Though when Rin said she wanted to have Daikichi's child, I had a moment where I said out loud "WHOOOAA, THAT'S WEIRD!" but still okay.
Sep 16, 2011 6:35 AM

Jul 2007
I just pretend i never read the second part :|

Seriously all the chapters after they grew up were terribly and offered nothing of the previous ones. I'm really disappointed :/
Sep 16, 2011 5:18 PM

Dec 2006
Cloudy-Sky said:
I just pretend i never read the second part :|

Seriously all the chapters after they grew up were terribly and offered nothing of the previous ones. I'm really disappointed :/

^ Yup, this. I kinda knew from the first chapter of the second part that it wasn't going to be that great. And then the author drops this atomic bomb on us in the ending.
Sep 18, 2011 8:34 PM

Aug 2010
Okay so I finished the anime and I loved every single part of it so much that I decided to read after the timeskip & spoil the ending for myself.
I WISH I NEVER DID.
I had so many hopes for Daikichi and Kouki's mom and Rin and Kouki as well and now it's all RUINED.
OMGG
D:
WHYYYYYYY
Sep 18, 2011 8:41 PM

Jul 2011
I read it last night and I was physically upset about how such a cute and innocent girl turned out to be a graverobbing hussy. Although I do feel that the manga is definitely a parallel/what if universe, the last chapter felt so forced and rushed. Like there should have been way more even if Rin and Daikichi still ended up the same way. Too awkward especially the very last part about them talking about her wanting his child and he's apprehensive.

I will always remember the anime OUTSIDE of the manga. The anime is a work of beautiful art. This... This is something else.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Sep 19, 2011 11:58 AM

Jul 2009
Ok, yesterday I watched the whole Usagi Drop anime series. Today I discovered that the manga is finished so I was kinda wondering if the ending is different...

What the hell happened, how could they ruin such a promising series. After the timeskip I thought that maybe Daikichi and Kouki's Mom would really get married, and that way the awkward relationship between Rin and Kouki would end...
I'm waiting for the extra volume, but I doubt that it will change anything.
ʕ • ᴥ • ʔ
Sep 19, 2011 4:52 PM
Aug 2007
Seriously this 2nd part is all filler, right? this is all some demented fan fiction and NOT the true ending??

FOR FUCK SAKE, WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I JUST WATCHED!! MY EYES BURN!!!!

I hate this retarded author for fucking up such an amazing story, with soo much potential, with such a disgust and illogical ending.

Production IG need to make a sequel that doesn't follow this sinful path.. FUCK ALL THOSE WHO'LL SAY ITS FILLER as this manga ending was the most irrational thing i've ever seen! We don't deserve this. The studio need to make the PROPER & TRUE sequel to this story with the ending that we all want!!
Sep 19, 2011 8:44 PM

Jan 2010
got really hooked into reading this after the anime finished.
well..what can i say that hasn't already been said?

i read once that it gets quite 'controversial' and damn, NOW I KNOW.
...everything that happened inbetween timeskip and rin realizing her feelings for daikichi were still good (maybe a little biased here cus i adore kouki) but damn, who knew how downward it could go. the pacing, adding in events without reason..were all wrong!

like most people, i'll just ignore the story up until what i will call the "daikichi luv arc"..
Sep 20, 2011 12:46 AM
Jun 2011
There really was no need for a timeskip; they could have had her in grade school and middle school and the confronting mother which was the only good thing about the second part could have been inserted somewhere there. The parent child interaction reduces a lot by the time they get to middleschool which is why the second part with rin in highschool sucked so bad.
Sep 20, 2011 6:10 AM
Sep 2009
I feel dirty after reading that ending. Totally unnecessary second half.

7/10
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» When does it get trash?

AshTheChamp - Mar 22

4 by blinddig »»
Apr 8, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 62 Discussion

Dr_Funkadelic - Feb 27, 2013

44 by BigBlueBash »»
Nov 12, 2023 6:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 61 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 28, 2013

1 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 60 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 14, 2013

4 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:28 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 59 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 14, 2013

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.