Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 22, 2017 1:49 PM

Sep 2017
I use it as a stress reliever but sometimes it just backfires.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 22, 2017 1:55 PM
Sep 2017
Absolutely I do. It's my favourite hobby.
Sep 22, 2017 2:22 PM

Oct 2016
You cannot escape from reality. All you're doing is pretending it doesn't exist. As long as you stand there pretending, depression will always catch up to you.
Sep 23, 2017 12:05 AM
May 2017
in the literal sense, u have to kill urself if u wish to escape the world. but yes, some find watching anime and playing video games as a way to escape although only temporarily
Sep 23, 2017 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
Anime is overly idealized, and it's intentionally created in such way, it's extremely well thought so that it reflects only the aspects of reality that we like and idolize, while filtering out many things we prefer not to see or accept about it, this in turn draws in a lot of people with diverse backgrounds and specific problems to adapt into the real world and/or society by extension, not all of them necessarily trying to "escape" I mean, some of them are just misfits and deviants looking for something more to fill that "void".

But the most obvious signs that reveal the escapist tendencies seen in anime fans are the ones they display as they become desperate in their search of some higher meaning on things, this can be seen in very early stages of their lives even, I mean you have kids who are like what? 13? fighting waifu wars, which is a problem because no one understands that anime was conceived to be plain entertainment, its goal is to provide that, and nothing else, but these people who tend to "cross lines" are the types that came here looking for something, and that something is, unfortunately, a thing they weren't gonna find from the start, because it was never here to begin with, and their beliefs on the prospect of finding it here were unfounded and they were unable to ascertain that fact, thus proving how little they understand themselves, so obstinate on believing that anime has some kind of core message, that it would provide a sanctuary for people like them where they would be loved and accepted, that they would find a wife in anime, I mean, some of these things are outright stupid.

But they started longing for them because they can't find them elsewhere, and feel the need to find them here, probably because when you look for something for too long without finding it, you eventually find it, and can convince yourself that which you just found is actually what you were looking for, even if it isn't.

So probably, and don't quote me on this one, I'd say there's a measure of escapism in the motives behind the most extreme forms of otaku fanatism, but it's not the core of the problem, it's probably more related to things like, lack of affection, rejection .. you know, that "void" that can't be filled.
DrMondaiNashiSep 23, 2017 12:42 AM
Sep 23, 2017 2:32 AM

May 2015
DrMondaiNashi said:
Anime is overly idealized, and it's intentionally created in such way, it's extremely well thought so that it reflects only the aspects of reality that we like and idolize, while filtering out many things we prefer not to see or accept about it, this in turn draws in a lot of people with diverse backgrounds and specific problems to adapt into the real world and/or society by extension, not all of them necessarily trying to "escape" I mean, some of them are just misfits and deviants looking for something more to fill that "void".

But the most obvious signs that reveal the escapist tendencies seen in anime fans are the ones they display as they become desperate in their search of some higher meaning on things, this can be seen in very early stages of their lives even, I mean you have kids who are like what? 13? fighting waifu wars, which is a problem because no one understands that anime was conceived to be plain entertainment, its goal is to provide that, and nothing else, but these people who tend to "cross lines" are the types that came here looking for something, and that something is, unfortunately, a thing they weren't gonna find from the start, because it was never here to begin with, and their beliefs on the prospect of finding it here were unfounded and they were unable to ascertain that fact, thus proving how little they understand themselves, so obstinate on believing that anime has some kind of core message, that it would provide a sanctuary for people like them where they would be loved and accepted, that they would find a wife in anime, I mean, some of these things are outright stupid.

But they started longing for them because they can't find them elsewhere, and feel the need to find them here, probably because when you look for something for too long without finding it, you eventually find it, and can convince yourself that which you just found is actually what you were looking for, even if it isn't.

So probably, and don't quote me on this one, I'd say there's a measure of escapism in the motives behind the most extreme forms of otaku fanatism, but it's not the core of the problem, it's probably more related to things like, lack of affection, rejection .. you know, that "void" that can't be filled.

Anime is overly idealized compared to what? Do you include Paranoia Agent, Tatami Galaxy and Digimon Tamers there or only the kind of anime people post on the internet to praise themselves with how much they hate 'weebs'?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 23, 2017 3:39 AM

Jan 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
Anime is overly idealized compared to what? Do you include Paranoia Agent, Tatami Galaxy and Digimon Tamers there or only the kind of anime people post on the internet to praise themselves with how much they hate 'weebs'?

I don't understand what you're getting at, all of those titles you mentioned are in the same group as the rest, they are all anime, but that's beside the point really, do you think that shows like the X-files or Star Trek don't have a bunch of borderline cultist followers seeing things that aren't there?

and it's not about the millenials either, people going "chuuni" on anime is a thing since Please Save my Earth, and that was back in 1992.
Sep 25, 2017 10:02 AM

May 2015
DrMondaiNashi said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't understand what you're getting at, all of those titles you mentioned are in the same group as the rest, they are all anime, but that's beside the point really, do you think that shows like the X-files or Star Trek don't have a bunch of borderline cultist followers seeing things that aren't there?

and it's not about the millenials either, people going "chuuni" on anime is a thing since Please Save my Earth, and that was back in 1992.

I've een plenty of anime with a critical outlook on life, so not sure if being overly idealize is unique to art - a lot of TV shows are escapist because that's the nature of the medium.

Sep 25, 2017 10:37 AM

Mar 2017
Yes definitely. When I can become fully immersed in the world of an anime, it is really good for eleviating the stresses of day to day life. What really bugs me is when I have so much going on in my head, I keep getting distracted away from the anime by my thoughts :/
Sep 25, 2017 11:02 AM

Jul 2015
Well, asking if we use anime to "escape the world" is a bit broad imo. If by that, you mean, to help me get away from my problems, to help cope with daily stresses and what not, then no. I don't use anime as my sort of remedy to flee from my sucky life or however you want to say it. For one, I mean I'm happy where I am in life, so there's not really anything for me to run from. But rather, I basically just watch anime because it's fun. Is there a deeper meaning to it? Well I mean, I like the fact that anime can "naturally" explore concepts that go beyond reality, so immersing myself in shows that involve things like supernatural powers, etc etc, is quite enjoyable for me so in that regard, then yes, I use anime to "escape the world."

caught in the wonder
Sep 25, 2017 11:15 AM

Jul 2017
Lol yep I'm one of them, and it's VERY effective

Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Sep 25, 2017 1:26 PM

Dec 2015
Yes! I watch Gintama or Naruto/ Naruto Shippuden
Sep 25, 2017 1:37 PM

Apr 2013
I mean it is kind of an escape. It's something that I really enjoy it gets my mind of things for a little while and it's a huge stress reliever for me just like any other activity out there I also read books to escap reality and I dance to escap reality so yeah...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2017 5:40 PM

Feb 2012
As in to not feel shit about some really vague, long term issues which I have little control over? Yes. I suppose I could also just feel like shit as some kind of divine retribution for... I'm not sure what exactly, but that'd be really retarded. There is pain that does not make a better person and such pain does not need to exist in this world.

As in to forget to take out the trash and have flies all over the place? No. That'd also be really stupid and make me feel bad, especially when it's something I have immediate power over.
Sep 25, 2017 7:06 PM
Sep 2017
Yep, I use anime to relax my brain and body, just focus on the story of the anime. Then I will forget the problems for the time being...
Sep 25, 2017 7:08 PM
Sep 2017
Kirisaki_Daichi said:
I mean it is kind of an escape. It's something that I really enjoy it gets my mind of things for a little while and it's a huge stress reliever for me just like any other activity out there I also read books to escap reality and I dance to escap reality so yeah...

I can't agree more... The same thought as mine...
Sep 25, 2017 7:10 PM
Sep 2017
That's its primary use, isn't it? As well as all the others forms of art.
Sep 25, 2017 7:20 PM

Jul 2017
I don't but I watch anime any free moment I get and that's all I do in my life beside school but I don't know
Sep 25, 2017 9:36 PM

Jan 2016
No, I use video games for that instead.
Sep 26, 2017 1:45 PM

May 2015
Wander_Wolf said:

I also found that video games are better at escapism, since you can really engaged, acting, and that can last for hours. That's also why they're more dangerous.
Sep 26, 2017 2:08 PM

Nov 2016
Hell ye, sometimes when I have problems and don't want to think about it, I just watch anime for hours straight
Sep 26, 2017 4:16 PM

Nov 2014
Gaming and anime are my escapes, always have been and always will be.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Sep 28, 2017 8:13 PM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Wander_Wolf said:

I also found that video games are better at escapism, since you can really engaged, acting, and that can last for hours. That's also why they're more dangerous.

Dangerous, huh? Never thought about it that way before.
Sep 28, 2017 8:16 PM

Jan 2009
ye i use anime as escapism but too bad since im more addicted on reading news and posting on forums this days
Sep 28, 2017 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
Well let's see:

-My social life sucks.
-My family life sucks.
-My relationships with girls suck.
-My grades suck.
-I suck.

So yeah, I'm essentially a shut-in who uses anime to escape from reality, completely.
Sep 28, 2017 8:36 PM
Jul 2016
Hmmm I would say it a hobby for me, however maybe sometimes I use it to escape from society and annoying things like if I'm sad or moody and I watch one piece or some nice romantic anime or just a really nice anime... it's lifts up my mood and for that time being I forget how angry or moody I was. So I guess escaping reality isn't the exactly what is going on.
Sep 29, 2017 6:27 AM

May 2015
Wander_Wolf said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Dangerous, huh? Never thought about it that way before.

More dangerous as in, it's easier to get addicted to the escapism there. I'm not against video games at all - they're awesome, but you need to use it in a non-escapist way.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Well let's see:

-My social life sucks.
-My family life sucks.
-My grades suck.
-I suck.

So yeah, I'm essentially a shut-in who uses anime to escape from reality, completely.

And this escaping helps?

Sep 29, 2017 6:37 AM

Jul 2014
Nope, I use them just as entertainment. They're pleasurable, but not enough intense to make me forget about reality.
Sep 29, 2017 6:50 AM

May 2017
Yep definitely i feel relaxed by watching anime to some extent
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2017 6:53 AM

Jul 2016
I think of anime as an extent of my reality. Like it helps me understand things about myself and others so I don't think I could ever use it to escape
Sep 29, 2017 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Well let's see:

-My social life sucks.
-My family life sucks.
-My grades suck.
-I suck.

And this escaping helps?

[/quote]

Well, the fact that I haven't killed myself yet, proves it.
Sep 29, 2017 7:00 AM

Oct 2016
Like using it as a spaceship? No, sir.
Sep 29, 2017 7:04 AM
Feb 2016
I guess I do, I hate responsibilities and reality sucks. When I watch anime, I forget all those problems.
Sep 29, 2017 8:09 AM
Jul 2018
not really no i just watch it when i have nothing to do
Sep 29, 2017 9:25 AM

Sep 2014
Yep, I watch it, because it beats reality, as in keeping me sane after 700+ job applications while being jobless for the past 2,5 years.
Dec 31, 2017 10:07 PM
Dec 2017
I do personally, because life sucks hind tit at times and I need something to distract me. Sometimes when school is too much, I watch anime to help forget about. Anime has a place in my heart. HAPPY NEW YEARS YA'LL !!!!!
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 7 hours ago

27 by Otakupervert890 »»
33 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

46 by Hikinekomori »»
41 seconds ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 3 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 8 hours ago

101 by DoctorWasabi »»
11 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

100 by LostSpectre »»
18 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

15 by Hikinekomori »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.