Forum Settings
Forums

Comment on the above user's favorite anime/manga

New
Pages (88) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 5, 2011 5:14 PM

Jul 2010
Princess Tutu: Never watched it

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: I liked TTGL Kamina getting killed was a big part of that(nothing against Kamina) what a twist.

Outlaw Star: Loved it, it is one of my favorites. Gene is the man.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes:.Never seen it
Sep 5, 2011 6:04 PM

Jan 2008
@AtomskHowl

- Cowboy Bebop: A classic. Great everything really, especially soundtrack and characters. I've had it in my favourites before.

- One Piece: Easily the best of the 'big three' and with good reason. Great overall feel, generally likeable characters and some interesting plot arcs. I can completely understand why someone would have it in their favourites.

- Samurai Champloo: It's not quite as good or as renowned as Bebop, but it's certainly got a similar level of style and character development. The soundtrack is noteworthy too for being quite a bit different to most (same as with Bebop, actually).

- FLCL: Very enjoyable series, even if it does make little sense at points. Amazing soundtrack too, plus the action scenes are great fun to watch. Plus who doesn't like Canti? He's like, the best robot ever.

- Black Lagoon: Also very fun and full of awesome action sequences. Interesting setting too, plus great animation quality throughout. When it comes to action, there isn't much out there which comes to this level of quality, so I can see why it's favourite worthy.
Sep 5, 2011 6:36 PM

Mar 2009
@Seasonreaper
First off, Pinkie Pie forever!! Makes going to the bathroom awkward though...

Mirai Nikki-awesomeness! I hope someone grabs the manga license here, there were only 2 freakin' volumes to go! So yeah, I haven't gotten to read like the last 3 vols, but what I read has been awesome.

Aria-going only on what I've seen of the anime, which is just season 1, but it's nice an relaxing. That said, I like having the music and colors there a lot.

Madoka Magica-awesome show, but not my fav magical girl deconstruction (lookit my top 5 for that one!)

Dennou Coil-only seen maybe 7 eps of it, but it wasn't really doing much for me

Kaiji 2-havent seen this one yet, but I will because the first season was awesome. Not top 5 material for me, but awesome
Sep 5, 2011 6:54 PM

Jun 2011
I plan on watching Tutu. Seems interesting.
TTGL- I love this show to death. It's an amazing show with a great story and likable characters. It can pack an emotional punch at times also.
LotGH- This thing is extremely highly rated. I plan on watching this soon.
Sep 5, 2011 6:59 PM

Mar 2011
Madoka- Amazing! I love the depth and emotion of this show! Tragedy in it's finest form.

Death Note- This was very interesting to watch. Dark, calculated, & intriguing.

K-ON!!- Better than the first season! This was another fresh bit of the Light Music Club.
Sep 5, 2011 7:05 PM

Mar 2009
@Edefrem
Higurashi-gee, how did I know this would be here? Lol, but yeah, I really liked Higurashi too!

Umineko-this one I didn't like as much, I honestly only watched 3/4ths of it. That said, I don't think it's the hellspawn a lot of people call it

Ranma 1/2-this used to be my favorite manga and anime, I mean, the manga got me into manga, but after I finished Maison Ikkoku by the same author, I just couldn't go back and now I find it to be annoying and average.
Sep 5, 2011 7:23 PM
Sep 2009
@FallnKnightFakir

Princess Tutu-- A great deconstruction of magical girl anime, a kid friendly one at that. Though Utena is my favorite deconstruction anime, Tutu is still one of my favorites and very dear to me.

TTGL-- Awesome super-robot show... a bit ridiculous but that was the point.

Outlaw Star-- People tell me that I'm sure to like this because I love Cowboy Bebop, so I look forward to checking it out.

LoGH-- I don't watch too many anime with episode counts over 100, but I will watch this eventually because of its reputation.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Sep 5, 2011 7:31 PM

Nov 2010
@judijon

Cowboy Bebop- Awesome show with great characters, story, and music

Boogiebop Phantom- I haven't seen it, but I heard that it is fantastic and I will watch it eventually

As for the rest, I haven't really heard of them, but I'll check them out.
Sep 5, 2011 8:01 PM

Sep 2010
----Anime
FMP - Great show, I enjoyed it a lot and I really hope for a 3rd season to come out. Love the humor in it too. xD

Toaru Majutsu no Index - Loved it, though I hate Touma. >_> my favorite character is Mikoto Misaki (Biri biri <3). I didn't like the pacing of the story but whatever, it was a good show overall.

Zero no Tsukaiama - I thought it was good, hated Louise's "tsundere" personality. Also, I prefer the second season more than the first one.

----Manga
Bleach - Horrible manga, no storyline. They also pushed the restart button earlier.
Sep 5, 2011 8:17 PM
Feb 2011
@ RingoPie

Anime

One Piece: Of the big 3 (4?) series right now, One Piece looks the most interesting and i will definitely check it out in the future. You know, when it ENDS.

Gurren Lagann: I liked this. maybe 3 and a 1/2 stars. The story felt rushed from one thing to the next with little breathing time, but the positive message was so overwhelming you barely even notice. Hardly a top favorite, but a likable show.

Skip Beat: Again, really need to see this. I hear it talked up all the time. I wonder if its worth it.

Manga

One Piece: You REALLY like One Piece. Damn.
002173Sep 5, 2011 8:22 PM
Sep 5, 2011 9:30 PM
Jul 2011
@MaedhrostheTall

Dragonball- I thought this show was pretty funny. But the fights were boring to me and I never really got into any of the characters. I might have even prefered DBZ to this. But a decent choice I can see why someone would like it.

Grave of the Fireflies- A great movie. This one really can make someone feel bad for just being a human being. One of my top 3 anime movies. On another note check out Tsumiki no Ie, its only 12 minutes long and the only anime movie that has ever evoked as much emotion from me as Grave of the Fireflies.

Extended list

Ponyo- I actually didn't like this one. I thought there were better movies from the guy. I don't know why but this movie never seemed all that great to me.

Edit: If someone doesn't know any of my top 5 you can look through my list and pick out any 9 out of 10 if you would rather do that instead.
weeeeeeeSep 5, 2011 9:35 PM
Sep 5, 2011 9:55 PM

Jun 2011
FMA:B This anime is great from the first 3 episodes.
If it gets better It'll end up being in my favorites
Death Note: I love how this show is going for me. A true battle of wits to the death.
LotGH- I plan on watching due to everyone loving it.
Code Geass- I plan on watching it. Seems very good.
Sep 5, 2011 9:56 PM
Mar 2011
monster= good but over reated urasawa as later work is better

Death Note = a story that foucus on a bishi anit horeo will oece an forever be over rated its was done first by skull man and better than akumetsu and loght is not nobel

Legend of the Galactic Heroes= 1 word Epic animes like this are not made any more and people sat that new anime is better moe blobs make a better strory than a ten year war

geaas= se my vies on death note plus gumdm did thes better almost 30
years before with new types
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 7, 2011 10:32 AM

Sep 2011
Damn, I was hoping to say over-hyped, but when I saw your list, I gave up. Lol, I saw NONE of those animes in your list xD the only 80's animes I've watched on my own volition is Touch xD
LastExile_613.png
Sep 7, 2011 10:42 AM
Jul 2011
@Alec
Anime
Cowboy Bebop-Yup it's a classic
Honey and Clover-I did not like it.
Fullmetal Alchemist-I liked it but it would have better if the producer had made it more serious and not throw in those lame jokes.

Manga
Naruto and One Piece-I really don't get why everyone loves it so much.
Sep 7, 2011 10:43 AM

Jun 2011
Cowboy Bebop- It holds up. I need to get back to watching it.
Death Note- A true classic. I'm loving how the story is going.
I'm planning on watching both Monster and NHK due to both seeming very interesting.
Sep 7, 2011 10:43 AM

May 2010
@Raitei-Dono: Of those I know so far...

Cowboy Bebop: As far as I'm concerned, it's a classic in almost every sense of the word. Loved it.

Monster: And this one's on it's way to becoming a classic. One of the best Mystery/Thrillers I've ever watched, with some of the most well fleshed out characters I've seen.

Death Note: Until the end of L's arc, it was amazing, but, after that, most of the characters just ended up becoming caricatures of themselves. Impressive, but it could have been a lot better.

EDIT: Wonder how that happened. I'm sure I'd posted first. Anyway...

@IllegalCyrus: Of those I know so far...

Gurren Lagann: I don't have much of a taste for very loud shows, so I didn't really enjoy it as much as most members seemed to have. It was still pretty good, I guess.

Nanoha A's: One of the best mahou shoujo anime I've watched. A little dramamtic at times, but still pretty amazing.

Baccano!: Absolutely loved it! Everything, from the characters to the story, was one of the most memorable shows I've watched.
Shima_XIXSep 7, 2011 10:54 AM
Sep 7, 2011 11:11 AM
Mar 2011
Berserk - i love the manga but the aniime was so disjoyted
Cowboy Bebop is a sapce opara but not good one if you say comapre to LOGH or 999 it fails
manga
Rurouni Kenshin - Closest to a modern day Lone wolf and Cub i love it
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 7, 2011 11:24 AM

May 2011
^Sry,i don't watch or read any of your favorites :<
It's the first time i see the names of those animes and manga :O
''I was dead serious''

Sep 7, 2011 11:42 AM

May 2011
GTO- very funny and full of awesome action sequences.I love the humor in it.(Onizuka<3)
Nana-Loved it, it is one of my favorites,Hachi is really cute>_<
''I was dead serious''

Sep 7, 2011 1:07 PM

Jan 2008
@BlackteZz

- Code Geass: It's pretty good yeah, not quite favourite material but certainly worth a watch. At least it actually makes sense throughout unlike R2, plus the battles looked like they actually required tactics rather than LOL I HAVE A BETTER ROBOT.

- FMA: Can't comment.

- One Piece: Very enjoyable, but once again I wouldn't class it as favourite material. Great characters and overall feel though and I reckon quite a lot of people would enjoy it if they could get over the art style.

- Darker Than Black: Fantastic show. Great and likeable characters, lovely setting, some very interesting abilities and a great soundtrack and script to back it up. One of my personal 10 rated shows.

- Clannad: After Story: Yeah, it made me cry. It's still got it's flaws though, and whilst I know the ending is actually somewhat canon to the VN, the anime did pretty much nothing to build up to it and as such it seemed somewhat out of place.

- Air Gear (manga): Only read the first 20 or so chapters, but it's pretty enjoyable so far. Love the idea of the Gears themselves and it seems to have plenty of potential. Need to read more of it actually...

- Eden no Ori (manga): Pretty damn interesting setting and a good overall feel to it. Seems inspired by Lost but handles things better and actually goes somewhere. Definitely a Lord of the Flies influence there too, which is rarely a bad thing. Will be interested to see where it goes from where I'm at. Quite possibly the second most worthy thing that I know in your favourites along with DtB.
Sep 7, 2011 1:21 PM

Apr 2011
I haven't seen any of your favorite anime just yet... Don't know about Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica or Kaiji: Hakairoku Hen, but i bet Haibane Renmei, Dennou Coil and Spice and Wolf is kickass. Will watch them. :)

Manga Favorites... Mirai Nikki is just awesome!
Don't know 'bout the rest thus i need to read more manga. ^^
I have seen Gunslinger Girl anime though and i liked it.
Sep 7, 2011 2:02 PM

Nov 2007
@zetsubo
Spirited Away - My favorite anime movie of all time!
Black Lagoon - Unbridled badassery. The characters, the action, the atmosphere, they're all fantastic.
Sep 7, 2011 3:05 PM

Mar 2009
@Myna, how rare! I am familiar with all of your favorites, both anime and manga!
Cowboy Bebop-a classic, but I always preferred Outlaw Star

Revolutionary Girl Utena-I only found this one to be a bit above average. For me, Princess Tutu was a far better genre deconstruction. I think I would've liked Utena more had it been a shorter series.

Yu Yu Hakusho-probably the best anime based on a shonen jump series that went over 100 eps. Why can't they all be this well paced and awesome?

Mushishi-beautiful, I only wish all of the manga were adapted

Neon Genesis Evangelion-I hated this one to be honest. When I saw RahXephon a few years later, I think I got what people see in NGE, but RahXephon is way better if you ask me.

FMA-only read half of it, but so far, I prefer the first anime. No spoilers! I'm going to wait til Viz puts out 26 and 27 then read the rest!

Natsume Yujincho-only read 3 vols, but this didn't grab me like I thought it would, which is weird cus it came off as a mix between Mushishi and Kekkaishi to me. I need to give it another shot.

Monster-actually just finished re-reading this, I think it gets less impressive each time to be honest. It's good, but not godly.

Rurouni Kenshin-I've read around 14 volumes of this, I just couldn't stand it. I'd point to this to say how not to make a shonen. Sorry!

Cardcaptor Sakura-a cute fluffy shojo, solid title, but there is better shojo and better magical girl stuff out there.
Sep 7, 2011 9:41 PM

Jun 2009
@ FallnKnightFakir

Princess Tutu- Haven't seen this, but it's on by PTW list and has been sitting on my hard drive for quite a while now. Your comment above about it being better than Utena intrigues me but at the same time I find it doubtful because, even though it has it's flaws, I absolutely adore Utena and consider it one of the absolute best series I've seen.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- A fun series, and for that I can understand it being on someones favorite list. But still, aside from Simon and Kamiya, none of the characters were fleshed out to my liking. Simon, though, is an absolutely fantastic character and his evolution was the true highlight to the series imo. Still, I just can't see this series as great just very good.

Outlaw Star- I tried watching this, but for whatever reason I stopped. It felt, and I'm sure this isn't the first or last time you've heard this, like the poor man's version of Cowboy Bebop. I'll give this another shot one day.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes- What needs to be said that hasn't already been said? Great characters, great music, great story, etc. This series does pretty much everything right. Totally worth the time spent watching this series.

Maison Ikkoku- Unfortunately, I haven't read the manga yet. But, I have seen the anime and adored it so much it is on my favorite list. It was great seeing Godai and Kyoko grow and evolve as people and that ending is one of the greats. What is interesting is this is the ONLY series from Takahashi Rumiko I've liked.
Ston3_FreeN7Sep 7, 2011 9:53 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 7, 2011 10:07 PM

Sep 2010
@insan3soldiern:

Neon Genesis: It was good. I really liked Kaoru or however you spell his name. xD

Fruits Basket: I read a few volumes of this here and there its a pretty good story I think its better than the anime.

One Piece: Only read a few chapters when I used to get Shounen Jump for Shaman King, but I don't think I can sit through 600 chapters. I always did like Sanji though and Robin is gorgeous.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 7, 2011 11:16 PM
Sep 2009
@Roloko

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch - Kiseki no Birthday Picture Drama Haven't seen this; I find it a little odd that you have a 1 episode long special as a favorite... I did enjoy Code Geass for the most part, however.

Ao no Exorcist Heard a lot of hype surrounding this; looks like a typical shounen to me, but I might check it out some time regardless.

Mawaru Penguindrum This is shaping up to be a great series... no surprise since it shares a director with one of my all time favorites, Revolutionary Girl Utena. Very much looking forward to how this progresses.

Haven't read any of your favorite Manga...
Sep 7, 2011 11:27 PM

Dec 2008
Well jackhxg520 list is empty so... moving up

judojon - Haven't actually seen any of your anime, but have only heard great things of Cowboy Bebop.
There's also Boogiepop Phantom that looks interesting, no doubt :)
Flag - It's something I've been wanting to watch for a while, so seeing it in your favorite's list can't be a bad thing.

As for the manga, I've only read Uzumaki, but I definitely agree that it's a pure masterpiece!
suiren_Sep 7, 2011 11:43 PM
Sep 8, 2011 12:25 AM

May 2010
@suiren_:

Wolf's Rain: Amazing anime. A little too bleak at times, but still pretty amazing.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: Very fun to watch... also very touching at times. I found it a little bland, for some reason, but it was still very enjoyable.

Baccano!: I absolutely loved this show. One of the more memorable anime I've watched.
Shima_XIXSep 8, 2011 12:29 AM
Sep 8, 2011 12:27 AM
Sep 2011
chanel bags 2011 conducted all her media interviews. As well as this incredible chandelier, the apartment is filled with jewel-encrusted furniture, fabulous gilt mirrors。
pandora beads sale design development time is not very long, plus the enterprise engaged in the design of Pandora jewelry design talent shortage, many companies began to cheap pandora beads saledoes not have a high level of design capability to employ staff to engage in Pandora Jewelry design.
n late 2010, Tory Burch opened boutiques in Rome and London. In 2010, tory burch flip flops sale opened 20 new doors total—seven internationally (Osaka, Seoul, Hong Kong, Kobe and Taipai) and 13 in the U.S., including one in her Philadelphia hometown.
Christian Louboutin shoes, most of us are straight from our warehouses to Asia. Our personnel is accountable for your manufacturing of each and every shoe to make certain superior and consumer satisfaction. This signifies how the lowest selling price you can pick the most beneficial of christian louboutin boots sale100mm Beige Leather Ponited Toe Pump. Christian Louboutin footwear are created for ladies eager to fashion. no issue whether you wish to locate the leisure in the tendency of dating or casual footwear shoes, market Christian Louboutin pumps to fulfill you.No your wish for chic ladies or girls mature, Christian Louboutin footwear all in your case while in the summer time and winter issues.
Sep 8, 2011 4:13 AM

Aug 2010
@ Shime

Mushishi: Why do people like this show so much? It's 26 stories with the exact same tone and plot device, and I got bored with it. Sure, the production qualities are good, but there's just nothing really meaningful in this show, nothing really moved me at all.

Monster: I've heard very good things about this anime, it seems like an interesting character study.

Cowboy Bebop: I highly respect this anime, it's one of the classics.

Beserk: The manga appears to be epic, but from what I've heard the anime ends suddenly with no real conclusion.
Sep 8, 2011 4:39 AM

May 2010
@Bob_Squob: Of those I know so far...

Baccano: I won't repeat myself (I've already mentioned it in my previous post). Absolutely loved it!

Kino no Tabi: Amazing anime. You do know that
Bob_Squob said:
Why do people like this show so much? It's 26 stories with the exact same tone and plot device,
sort of applies to Kino no Tabi as well, right? (except the number of episodes, obviously). Well, I love both, so I won't flame at either.

Ouran High School Host Club: I loved the humour, but I found the dramatics annoying. Overly dramatic characters are a pet peeve of mine, so I didn't really find it exceptional. Still, a very good anime.
Sep 8, 2011 7:29 AM
Sep 2009
@Shima_XIX

Mushishi-- A beautiful collection of stories; one of the best episodic shows I've seen.

Monster-- Watch the first 20 or so episodes so far (when they were showing on Sci-Fi channel) and they were great; relentlessly suspenseful with some very interesting ideas on humanity, very Hitchcockian, and Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors of all time, so that is a big compliment.

Cowboy Bebop-- A Classic, and rightfully so; I have yet to see a show that has a better sense of musicality, or a better balance of style and substance.

Berserk-- A grand sweeping epic, with some of the best characters in anime; captures the girth of humanity. I'm starting to feel like a broken record because I've said this SO many times before... the animation and non-conclusive ending prevent me from giving this a 10.
Sep 8, 2011 8:34 AM

May 2010
@judojon: Of those I know so far...

Boogiepop Phantom: It got the atmosphere just right... the sense of despair was perfect. However, I felt it depended on the viewer's knowledge of the Boogiepop universe and that, in my opinion, is a drawback.

Cowboy Bebop: I can't express how happy I feel every time I see this among a user's favorites. Loved it.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: I haven't watched much of it yet, though I plan to. The premise seems interesting, though I can't really tell whether it will make it to my list of favorites just yet.
Shima_XIXSep 8, 2011 8:38 AM
Sep 8, 2011 10:44 AM

Jun 2009
@ Shima

Mushishi- Haven't seen it, but I've heard many a good thing about it. I'll be checking this out

Monster- "Excellent" is the word that describes this series to me. Some excellent characters in this series, with my personal highlights being Johan, Grimmer, Lunge, Nina, and Eva. But, really, many a character in this series is well developed. Also, the plot about the Twins and their past is wonderfully executed.

Cowboy Bebop- A great series, Spike is an excellent protagonist. Of course, the rest of the cast is no slouch either. I have this pegged as an 8, because it has been a long time since I saw this but this series is overall very strong.

Berserk- Yet another excellent series, featuring yet more excellent characterization. The main trio are wonderfully developed and totally three dimensional characters, and the central story of Griffith's rise to the top is a simple story told incredibly well. By the time the final act rolls around the fact that I cared so much about the characters really hurt me in the end. Honestly, this is one of my all time favorite endings. I also like how the romance was done, though it was but a relatively small part of the series.

Rurouni Kenshin- Good stuff, though I think this did unfortunately fall into some shounen cliches. Still, Kenshin himself is an excellent character and most of the other leads more or less evolved in a satisfying way. I'm unsure what your favorite arc is, but mine was definitely the Revenge arc as it contained one of my favorite backstories and it really put the past of Kenshin, and all his wrongdoings, in the spot light. Yet another worthy choice.

Ston3_FreeN7Sep 8, 2011 10:56 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 8, 2011 11:45 AM

Jan 2008
@insan3soldiern

Utena - Need to see this, really badly.

Evangelion - Understandable. Whilst it isn't a personal favourite, the impact it's had on the industry and the sheer size of it as a franchise deserves respect. It's a pretty solid series as a whole too, plus the animation quality is fantastic for it's age, the soundtrack memorable and the characters are amongst the most recognizable around.

Honey & Clover - Only seen the first episode, but it seems nice so far. Quite like the relaxed atmosphere it had and the characters seem quite realistic. Pretty art style too.

LoGH - Still need to see this too. Can't say I've heard anything bad about it at all.
Sep 8, 2011 12:55 PM

Aug 2011
@seasonreaper

The only one I have seen of yours is Spice and Wolf. While I remember really enjoying the show I can't recall much about it. I will defiantly have to go rewatch season one before I start season 2.
Sep 8, 2011 12:58 PM

Dec 2010
@Matron_Laylie

It's a KEY fan! But hey you got Shuffle as favorite too instead of say....Air or Angel Beats.

Manga, yeah I liked zombies too. Highschool of the dead....sequel would be nice.
Sep 8, 2011 1:01 PM

Aug 2011
taro_sado said:
@Matron_Laylie

It's a KEY fan! But hey you got Shuffle as favorite too instead of say....Air or Angel Beats.

Manga, yeah I liked zombies too. Highschool of the dead....sequel would be nice.

I am a Key fanboy and I just recently watched Angel Beats that will be replacing something soon. As for Air I thought the story to be to confusing and they tried to jam way to much in for a 13 episode show. The reason Shuffle! is my favorite is because i was my first Highschool Romance/harem anime that I had watched and made me fall into the genre. As much as I loved the Kyou chapter for Clannad I can't count that as a favorite anime since it is only 2 episodes so I changed it with Angel Beats.

If only I could have 10 favorites......

As for Highschool of the Dead they have announced they are making a season 2 for the anime. I have no idea about the manga though since I really am not a huge manga follower.
ZaerickSep 8, 2011 1:04 PM
Sep 8, 2011 1:05 PM

Dec 2010
you can make a blog about it to extend your favorites.
Sep 8, 2011 1:17 PM

Sep 2010
@taro_sado:

Haruhi: Its pretty good, but I gave it a 7/10 in the end while I did enjoy it I don't understand what all the hype is about.

Spice and Wolf: Sounds like something I would enjoy since it takes place in medieval times so I heard and I like stuff from that time period if its done right and keep my interest.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 8, 2011 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
@Roloko

Code Geass Picture Drama- I haven't seen this one yet, but was it really so good that you'd put that as your top favorite over either of the two main series?

Ayashi no Ceres- I haven't seen this one either, but I have read the manga, and I wasn't a huge fan of it. It's been a while since I read it, but I seem to remember the male lead (Touya IIRC) being pretty dull and disliking what the plot turned into towards the end. 'Course the adaptation might've fixed some of that, so who knows.

Penguindrum- Eh, it's a good airing show and all but I don't quite get all the hype it's getting. It's pretty creative style-wise and can be funny when it wants to, but it just hasn't wowed me with the characters or plot yet. Knowing Ikuhara, it'll probably fix all that before the end and turn everything on its head, but so far it's just another relatively entertaining show for me.

Pandora Hearts- I like most of the characters pretty well, but something about it just rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't know if it's the plot or what.

Kuroshitsuji- This one's frustrating. It had a great start with the whole Jack the Ripper arc and then it just kind of fizzled out after that. Neither of the following arcs really gripped me, and the plot just seemed to be going nowhere fast, so I kind of stuck it in limbo. Apparently the latest chapters are really good, but then people said that about the India and circus arcs too, so eh...
Sep 8, 2011 7:13 PM
Sep 2009
@Memeki

Baccano-- Damn entertaining; one of the wildest and most enjoyable shows I have ever seen. Not much depth, but quite possibly the most fun I have had watching an anime.

Revolutionary Girl Utena-- One of my favorites as well; some of the best characterization I've seen in an anime, and such a rich, powerful, emotional, and thought-provoking story.

Full Metal Alchemist-- Great show; amazing visuals, characters and story. I have to re-watch this sometime.

Gankutsuou-- Hear great things about this... I've only watched the first two episodes, but the Counts charisma has already mesmerized me, and the visuals are crazy.

Cowboy Bebop-- Another favorite of mine; easily the coolest show I've ever seen, and a damn great story on top of that.
Sep 8, 2011 7:28 PM

Aug 2010
@ Judojon
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei: I watched half an episode of this and I could not keep up with it. I've got it on hold until Funimation releases it.

Boogiepop Phantom: Easily the most confusing thing I have ever seen. I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cowboy Bebop: As I've said before, a true classic. It's amazing how the animation still stands up today.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Heard very good things about this, but I'm a bit put off by the length. Does it use all the episodes well?

Flag: Never heard of this.

The World God Only Knows is also on my favorites. I really enjoy the captures.

@Shima

Here's my problem with Mushishi: over half of the episodes have the same plot structure. Something strange is happening to a villager, Ginko discovers that a mushi is causing it, and he cures the problem. Happy ending every time, even when they're trying not to. All these stories have the same mysterious tone, but the answer is always mushi, and mushi is a lazy answer because they do whatever the author wants them to. Also, each story is clearly trying to convey something, but I don't think its messages ever came through properly, there's nearly always problems with them.

Now with Kino's Journey, you get variety. In any given story, Kino may encounter the horror of the worst of humanity, a ridiculous town that satirizes aspects of our culture, an entertaining bit of dark comedy, an uplifting tale of following your dreams, or the cruel twists of fate that lead to pure tragedy. Hell, there's even a great tournament arc thrown in there! Each story is different but they all work, and each one has different implications, tone and always a clear meaning. It's also 13 episodes, so it doesn't overstay its welcome, unlike Mushishi which just drags on with the same thing over and over.
Bob_SquobSep 8, 2011 7:39 PM
Sep 8, 2011 8:26 PM
Sep 2009
@Bob_Squob

Baccano-- Awesome, awesome show. 1920's America by way of Tarantino; really, it's almost as if this show was made for me.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya-- The best installment of the franchise in my opinion. It exceeded my expectations and easily one of my favorite franchise-based anime movie.

Kino's Journey-- A great collection of parables; Kino is a fascinating character and the countries she visits are imaginative.

The Castle of Cagliostro-- Two anime icons in one movie; the awesome Arsene Lupin, and the master director Hayao Miyazaki... how could this have not been good.

Ouran Highschool Host Club-- Funny parody reverse harem with a surprising emotional punch, the first really feminine anime I had ever watched... not a personal favorite, but a solid show nonetheless.
Sep 10, 2011 6:20 PM

Jun 2008
@ Bob_Squob

Baccano: One of my favorite anime as well. Original, gritty, funny, violent, enjoyable.
Lupin: I used to watch the series when I was little, but I've never been a fan of it. I strongly dislike Monkey Punch's style.
Negima: I despise Ken Akamatsu and all of his works, as they are brainless ecchi garbage with cheap comedy, in my book. I've read the first volumes of Negima, then got too bored to continue. Shota + magic + ecchi + harem = Harry Potter, Ken Akamatsu version.
Bakuman: I've read some of the manga, and it left me indifferent. I might catch it up again someday, but for now, it's dropped.

RenaPsychoKiller said:
@ judojon

Boogiepop Phantom: I really love this underrated anime as well. Everyone talks about Lain, but I think Boogiepop is superior. It's a total mindfuck, but with a good story and interesting characters. Unique, intense, dark, and compelling.
Cowboy Bebop: Also one of my most beloved anime. A masterpiece in every way. Unforgettable, and always beautiful, no matter how many times you watch it. Truly the greatest anime ever made.
Utena: Sure, it's a visually stunning anime with a load of symbolism thrown in, but that's about it. I liked it, but I never got into it. A strange experience, rather intense at times, but deeply flawed, non-sensical, and repeatitive.

I haven't read any of the manga in your favorites (yet).
RenaPsychoKillerSep 10, 2011 6:29 PM

you're so cute when you're frustrated, dear
Sep 10, 2011 6:37 PM

Dec 2008
@RenaPsychoKiller

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Wish I could understand why I can't seem to get into this series ><

Cowboy Bebop: Great show, and everyone knows it. Much to easy to forget how dramatic and exciting Bebop was, every single episode. I wish other anime could fuse western & eastern entertainment tropes this skillfully.

Death Note: Mmm... cheer up emo-kid. The live action movies weren't that bad, I guess.

Gankutsuou: We meet again, you wicked devil. Yeah, about this show... I actually read the novel cover to cover for the first time, just prior to watching the anime, so I got the full experience. If you have a lot of free time on your hands/interest, you can read my detailed comments comparing both versions right here on MAL. TL;DR: Every single thing that makes it good is in the book. It's flawed parts are all the animation studio's fault, such as the stupid rewritten ending.

Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi: Will eventually watch this some day...

@Telesis

Sorry for skipping you brother. I want to do you too, but I literally haven't seen a single one of your top 5, sorry!
case649Sep 10, 2011 6:45 PM
Sep 10, 2011 6:51 PM

Jun 2009
@case649:

Gunsmith Cats: very enjoyable. disappointed it's only a 3 episode ova, i would of loved to see this turn into a 20-something episode tv show.

Ichigo Mashimaro: fun, cute, and very amusing.

Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World: great show. thought provoking and engaging, though pretty bleak in some parts.

Cossette no Shouzou: looks good, sounds good, but like gunsmith cats, it's length just isn't enough.

X/1999: no offense, but i hate this movie. all the plot/character development that made the show great is gone in this.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Sep 10, 2011 7:06 PM

Jun 2008
@ Lordcrab86

Elemental Gelade: I adore the manga, it's one of the greatest and most overlooked shounen I've ever encountered. However, the anime seems really mediocre in comparison. I do plan to watch it, though.
Cowboy Bebop: Best anime ever made, period.
Full Metal Alchemist: Eh, I hate this overrated anime, very very much. I find it clichè, overly dramatic, uninteresting, with annoying characters.
Negima: Ken Akamatsu? No, thanks. It's basically Harry Potter with an ecchi harem.
Gantz: Ugh. The anime and the manga were both equally horrible for me.
Chobits: Jesus Christ, it's pretty much the worst Clamp series around. I didn't like this, at all.

you're so cute when you're frustrated, dear
Sep 10, 2011 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
@RenaPsychoKiller
Higurashi- I loved this show for some reason, and I'm not usually a fan of horror anime/manga. I liked how the violence was balanced out by hints towards the main mystery.

Cowboy Bebop- My favorite episodic anime so far. The characters were all very likable, and it definitely had style. The ending was great too.

Death Note- I haven't seen the anime of this yet, but I have read the manga, and it was pretty good. It started off strong but kind of fizzled out around the Yotsuba arc and didn't really get back in shape until the last arc. It was still a great series, though, and Light and L were interesting leads.

Gankutsuou- Cool, someone else who likes this enough to favorite it. I liked pretty much everything about it from the visuals to the revenge-story plot to the Count himself. One thing I wasn't too big on was the setting, though. It made for some nice visuals (except for those mecha...), but it felt more tacked on to the original setting (1700s France) than anything.

X- It's been forever since I read this, but I remember liking it a lot once it got going. The first few volumes were kind of annoying with nothing much happening but people cryptically telling Kamui that he could either destroy or save the world ad nauseum and Kamui basically flipping them off. It improved a lot by volume 9 or so IIRC. Now all it needs is an ending...

Deadman Wonderland- I like the art in this, but the rest does nothing for me. I'm not too big on gore for gore's sake like it is in this, and Ganta really does annoy me. It's a big improvement over the anime, though.
Pages (88) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Name a music artist from the last letter! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SnipeStrike - Mar 31

530 by SnipeStrike »»
35 seconds ago

» A - Z Pokémon ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

sunsetocean - Jul 25, 2021

9029 by viraat_pirate »»
1 minute ago

» Have You Ever!? v6 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Barnald - Aug 15, 2023

3310 by Dostojevskij »»
1 minute ago

» Make a word with the last letter v.16 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Aug 5, 2023

5960 by Luchipher-Zen »»
2 minutes ago

» What Score/Rating Do You Disagree the Most With In the Above User's Completed List v.3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Nov 27, 2020

6392 by iHateAnimeBro »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.