Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 23, 2011 7:01 PM
Sep 2010
http://www.develop-online.net/news/38103/Team-Fortress-2-becomes-free-forever

(An interview with Valve's Robin Walker.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc

(This is the much anticipated Meet The Medic. It also states that TF2 is now F2P at the end.)

How do you guys feel about this? I mean, I don't mind dominating some of the newblood, but I feel like I got the short end of the stick for actually buying the game.

You may argue that TF2 has been "dirt cheap" for quite some time now and that there's not much difference in making it free.

However, consider these:

1. People who are VAC banned can simply make a new steam account and download TF2 again ... at no cost.

2. People will be able to make multiple idle accounts to farm items ... at no cost.

3. ??? Who knows? The potential is limitless!

TF2 may not have cost much, but it did deter many people from doing the above.

TF2 will now become a hotbed for cheaters, hackers and abusers.
BeckiiJun 23, 2011 7:51 PM
Jun 23, 2011 7:11 PM

Jun 2010
i am happy about this since i didnt buy the game but i do agree that you guys should have some exclusives since you did pay for it after all
Jun 23, 2011 7:27 PM
Dec 2009
I do feel bad for those who paid for the game, but on the other hand, FREE TF2!

I'll admit I was too cheap to buy the game for PC since I already played through the Orange Box on my Xbox, so this works out perfectly for me.
Jun 23, 2011 7:52 PM
Sep 2010

This is the exclusive hat you get for buying the game pre-F2P?!

I've lost faith in you, Valve.
Jun 23, 2011 8:05 PM

Apr 2009
not like i didnt own it for 4 years.

Free backstabs for the next 5 months,cannot wait for the new players to come pouring in. But in all seriousness who doesnt already own TF2 by now?

People act like valve made it pay to play or some shit, my hats off to them (shitty pun intended)
Jun 23, 2011 8:18 PM

Jun 2010
Lenfried said:

This is the exclusive hat you get for buying the game pre-F2P?!

I've lost faith in you, Valve.

i was actually expecting nothing...
Jun 23, 2011 8:54 PM

Jun 2009
Applekags said:
But in all seriousness who doesnt already own TF2 by now?

<--

Not the case anymore, though. :D
Jun 23, 2011 10:38 PM

Jul 2009
i think that they could have milked the game for all its worth because i think people would still by it at a reasonable price....it would sell and it prob could have continued doing well selling. Also, noobs will be pouring in...making it easier to kill....and get points :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2011 10:59 PM

Feb 2011
AbstractCalamity said:
Applekags said:
But in all seriousness who doesnt already own TF2 by now?

<--

Not the case anymore, though. :D

same here

can't wait to get it.
Jun 23, 2011 11:01 PM

Apr 2009
Denmark-Chan said:
i think that they could have milked the game for all its worth because i think people would still by it at a reasonable price....it would sell and it prob could have continued doing well selling. Also, noobs will be pouring in...making it easier to kill....and get points :D

Trust me,its been milked for its worth by now. This news should really put all these god awful korean and chinese F2P shooters to death, theres no excuse to play anything else now that money isnt an issue (thank god)

My gripe right now is how the server browser is FUCKING FLOODED with these Valve TF2 servers. Thank god i have like 80 servers in my favorites.
Jun 24, 2011 6:21 AM

Apr 2010
Awww... I bought it 3 or so years ago
Jun 24, 2011 7:16 AM

Oct 2010
Never played it before, downloading it as I speak - should be any moment now. Seems like a decent game, what's the catch in it being F2P exactly?
Jun 24, 2011 7:57 AM

Jun 2008
Looks like valve wants to sell even more hats.
Jun 24, 2011 8:00 AM

Feb 2008
mindflayer said:
Never played it before, downloading it as I speak - should be any moment now. Seems like a decent game, what's the catch in it being F2P exactly?

http://teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php
Jun 24, 2011 8:26 AM

Jan 2010
Dat new Medic trailer was a nice treat that came with it.
Jun 24, 2011 8:59 AM

Oct 2010
Sephor said:
mindflayer said:

Yeah, I've kinda already read that, I was asking for a more subjective opinion. As in, are any of those cosmetic items any less trivial than they appear to a newbie like myself? ;)

By the way, right now I'm playing the tutorial and the Source engine feels so damn smooth...
Jun 24, 2011 9:01 AM
Feb 2010
Lenfried said:
    1. People who are VAC banned can simply make a new steam account and download TF2 again ... at no cost.

2. People will be able to make multiple idle accounts to farm items ... at no cost.

3. ??? Who knows? The potential is limitless!

Stop bitching. Free players do not get shit. If they want to have the "premium" stuff they need to buy something from Mann Co, and guess what, the minimum Steam Wallet transaction is $5. They cannot even trade away items. How exactly was the price tag holding away the torrent of cheaters anyway?
Jun 24, 2011 9:26 AM

May 2007
why does lenfried not have a picture of lenfried as avatar
Jun 24, 2011 9:35 AM

Feb 2008
mindflayer said:
Sephor said:
mindflayer said:

Yeah, I've kinda already read that, I was asking for a more subjective opinion. As in, are any of those cosmetic items any less trivial than they appear to a newbie like myself? ;)

By the way, right now I'm playing the tutorial and the Source engine feels so damn smooth...

Cosmetic items are just like they sound cosmetic.
Either way though, if you feel like going premium just buy something for 1$ and there you go. Can't remember if it goes through the steam wallet or if you can just pay for it itself. If it is the steam wallet , limit i think is like 5$.
Jun 24, 2011 9:40 AM

Nov 2010
I'm not gonna play this, not my type of game.
Jun 24, 2011 9:43 AM

Dec 2007
nerb said:
Stop bitching. Free players do not get shit. If they want to have the "premium" stuff they need to buy something from Mann Co, and guess what, the minimum Steam Wallet transaction is $5. They cannot even trade away items. How exactly was the price tag holding away the torrent of cheaters anyway?

You misunderstood. As Steam games are related to your account, cheating on a game will get you banned from that game permanently unless you were to make a new account and buy the game again. However, now people can simply make a new account without buying anything and start right away.
Jun 24, 2011 1:54 PM
Sep 2010
nerb said:

I was going to tell you off because you clearly misunderstood my point, but it seems Chavez took care of that.

Actually, in retrospect, I don't know how you could have misinterpreted any of what I wrote. I think I was pretty clear.
Jun 24, 2011 10:35 PM

Oct 2008
Chavez said:
As Steam games are related to your account, cheating on a game will get you banned from that game permanently unless you were to make a new account and buy the game again. However, now people can simply make a new account without buying anything and start right away.

...and TF2 will be even worse now because of this fact. The game had potential to be a great shooter, now it's more of a lame dress up simulator then anything. Since Valve doesn't IP ban you, people can make an endless supply of accounts and ruin the game even further.
Jun 24, 2011 10:50 PM
Jul 2018
Lenfried said:
I think I was pretty clear.

It was
Jun 25, 2011 3:32 AM

Oct 2010
Mujina said:
Since Valve doesn't IP ban you, people can make an endless supply of accounts and ruin the game even further.

Maybe they'll start IP banning now if things get out of hand (as they probably will)?
Jun 25, 2011 3:49 AM

Dec 2007
Mujina said:
...and TF2 will be even worse now because of this fact. The game had potential to be a great shooter, now it's more of a lame dress up simulator then anything.

I agree that it has gotten lame. I stopped playing a long time ago, and this does not make me want to start playing again.

Mujina said:
Since Valve doesn't IP ban you, people can make an endless supply of accounts and ruin the game even further.

mindflayer said:
Maybe they'll start IP banning now if things get out of hand (as they probably will)?

This is actually the worst that could happen. It's a very common misconception that IP banning is the solution to everything. In fact, IP bans are the worst type of bans ever, and I honestly hope Valve won't ever implement that.
Jun 25, 2011 8:31 AM
Sep 2010
mindflayer said:
Mujina said:

IP bans are pointless. Many people nowadays (including myself) can reset their dynamic IPs in literally seconds.
Jun 25, 2011 11:59 AM

Nov 2009
Bleh, I wasnt interested in it before and I'm still not interested...if they pay me to however....hmmm =P
Jun 25, 2011 3:55 PM

Dec 2009
I consider this a great steal. Its fun and engaging, I should have bought this game a long time ago.

I'm trying to max out my enjoyment of this before hackers, idlers, and other nasties start arriving in droves (if they aren't already).
Jun 26, 2011 1:12 AM
Sep 2010
Regarding my previous point about making new idle accounts to farm:

Apparently there are bits of information that I overlooked.

People with free accounts can only find standard items and are not able to trade with other users. To become a "paid" user, they would have to buy at least one item from the store. The cheapest item costs 99 cents. However, the minimum amount required to add funds to your steam account is $5. So if someone wants to exploit the system via multiple accounts (i.e. idle farming and transferring), they would have to spend at least $5 per account.

I guess that puts me at ease ... slightly.
BeckiiJun 26, 2011 1:27 AM
Jun 26, 2011 2:25 AM

Dec 2007
Lenfried said:
Regarding my previous point about making new idle accounts to farm:

Apparently there are bits of information that I overlooked.

People with free accounts can only find standard items and are not able to trade with other users. To become a "paid" user, they would have to buy at least one item from the store. The cheapest item costs 99 cents. However, the minimum amount required to add funds to your steam account is $5. So if someone wants to exploit the system via multiple accounts (i.e. idle farming and transferring), they would have to spend at least $5 per account.

I guess that puts me at ease ... slightly.

That only applies when you want to play the gay dress-up part of the game.
Jun 26, 2011 6:34 AM

May 2011
My friend recommended this game to me... Since it's free now, I'll try it out.
Jun 26, 2011 10:53 AM
Feb 2010

Oh, I'm sorry for assuming you would read what I wrote, let me break it down.
Lenfried said:

TF2 will now become a hotbed for cheaters, hackers and abusers.

1. TF2 has had numerous free weekends in the past, and no noticeable increase in hacking. Sure, you can claim that people are going to hack more now, but there's no proof until after the fact, so it's just speculation. Oh, and then there's this:
"Valve" said:
Q. Won’t going Free to Play mean more griefers and cheaters?
We’re increasing our focus on making sure that hostile players can’t ruin your fun. Specifically, we’ll be keeping a close eye on players exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans. We’ve built systems that’ll allow us to measure and track what these players are doing, and respond quickly.
I know, I know, going to the official website takes hard work, but if you had gone there you could have seen the FAQ.
2.Free accounts are not able to trade away items, thus they cannot be farms, and they only have 50 backpack slots.
Jun 26, 2011 3:34 PM
Sep 2010
nerb said:
1. TF2 has had numerous free weekends in the past, and no noticeable increase in hacking. Sure, you can claim that people are going to hack more now, but there's no proof until after the fact, so it's just speculation.

Well, there are only so many things you can do over a weekend ...

nerb said:
I know, I know, going to the official website takes hard work, but if you had gone there you could have seen the FAQ.

When I wrote the original post, the official website was borderline unaccessible/unavailable due to the influx of new traffic.
I simply worked with whatever information I had on hand at the time.

nerb said:
2.Free accounts are not able to trade away items, thus they cannot be farms, and they only have 50 backpack slots.

Addressed on a previous post.

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3513 by Tamamolicki »»
2 hours ago

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

50 by Strahan »»
8 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

13 by Strahan »»
8 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 12:14 PM

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

58 by Jentheworld »»
Yesterday, 9:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.