Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (25) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2011 10:06 PM

Jan 2011
I didn't cry, i didn't like the way they made Menma, repeating "Jintan" 21429²³³²¹ TIMES, crying every 3 minutes... You must realize this anime is made for you cry and that's why you give 8~9~10 by the end. You have to balance the entire anime... fan service, cross dressing (u.u), episode about motel and these kind of things in a infantile/nostalgic anime. Really 6 must be good :D!

Sorry bad english :(
Jul 1, 2011 4:54 AM

Aug 2010
I started crying as soon as poppo started talking, that was some sad shit.
Jul 1, 2011 5:04 AM
Mar 2011
great ending for a great series.... definitely the best of spring season.
and at the end they finally got to see menma <3
Jul 1, 2011 3:44 PM

Nov 2009
Just watched the entire series today it was great and this episode though I hate to admit it made me ball my eyes out
Jul 1, 2011 7:54 PM
Jun 2009
beautiful story
Jul 2, 2011 7:41 AM

Apr 2010
what make the anime is amazing for me is..there is 2 factor

1) the song, the ED, which is Secret Base~ Kimi Ga Kuretamono by Zone (original ver),but in the anime is 10 years later version..performance by voice actor of menma,tsuruko and anaru.
Actually i started crying (not like a baby) when the song started (when tsuruko open the latter) .That was good.. till menma is gone..

2) The story main theme (Friendship) .All the story talking is abound their childhood friendship and bond. (match with the song..Yeah~) it make you feel your friend or childhood friend is dead, back to life..something like that..

amazing ending actually..i have to admit it too..
10/10 for me
Jul 2, 2011 8:26 PM

Jan 2011
I dropped this show on episode 1 'cause I thought it's just another boring HS life...blah...blah...blah...
But when I read a fan subbing group's review about how perfect the ending was, I gave it another try...After that, I found myself almost crying at the last episode...CRAP!!! This show just blew me off!!! Great show!!! And I'm not really a fan of real life stories with ghosts, nor high school life (but I really don't have much choice in the matter since most anime target that age group, so...), nor cross-dressing (no exceptions to that, any show that has a male cross-dresser automatically gets a score of 7 as its highest from me). Okay, this is the only and probably the last exception to that... Except if somebody makes another show as epic as this one...

Edit: My bad, I gave Hayate no Gotoku a 9...So there are 2 titles exempted...:D

Akazukin Chacha, you know you're my favorite comedy show, but I need to make room for this one in my favorites' list...But you're still no.6...

So, what's the name of the flower anyway???

Leon-Gun said:
asgardian said:

A Forget-Me-Not.

Oh..ok...Now I remember there was an episode with that title.
Thanks man!
asgardianJul 4, 2011 3:36 AM
Jul 2, 2011 8:40 PM
Dec 2007
asgardian said:

A Forget-Me-Not.

Jul 2, 2011 10:33 PM

Oct 2009
man i cry in mostly every episode ( i think) but that just show that i'm not a machine
at least every in the finale episode said how the felt about what going on and the truth was about there
and i'm glad that Menma said goodbye to every one before she left but i hate sad ending
but i kind of stopped crying when Jinta said what happened afterwards

this anime is the best of Spring 2011

Score: 10/10
Jul 2, 2011 10:35 PM

Oct 2009
true WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE FLOWER???
Jul 3, 2011 4:03 AM

Oct 2010
if they didn't force all this crying out of the characters i would have given it 10. But it was just so much i felt like it was ridiculously forced/unrealistic and thats what they relied on to get good scores/people to like it, obviously it works since everyone fell for it

for me Madoka > this, and this isn't the best anime of spring 2011 either, its pretty good but this last episode was lame
lots of music -
Jul 3, 2011 5:56 AM

Feb 2008
♥ it. :)
... =_=

Jul 3, 2011 7:54 AM

Jul 2010
AnimationQueen said:
true WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE FLOWER???

It's Forget-me-not : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myosotis
Jul 3, 2011 8:31 AM

Apr 2011
Great ending to a series and since I love this sort of theme in Anime, I most certainly enjoyed it. Cried a bloody lot during the last few episodes though!
hey hey hey hey no
Jul 3, 2011 9:24 AM

Mar 2010
Wow. What a terribly cheesy, ridiculous ending for a decent show. Melodrama level through the roof and fuck you writers, people BAWWWING THEIR EYES OUT DO YOU FEEL ALREADY HUH and SCREAMING does not equal with good drama or well-written characters. Jesus Christ.

Pacing was pretty messed up in the end and whole storyline relied on characters - especially Jintan - picking up the idiot ball repeatedly. The whole deal was pretty ludicruous and overblown anyway. If you want to take a look at overcoming sorrow over someone dying fine, just try to do it with a bit more subtetly than hitting the viewer repeatedly with ARE YOU SAD YET sledgehammers.

Nevertheless, it was still good show despite all the herpderp writing and over the top cheese

7/10
Jul 3, 2011 11:05 AM

Jul 2010
Just checked back and it's at #19 now. Awesome.

Definitely well deserved.
Jul 3, 2011 3:38 PM
Mar 2010
Good..... I say: very good finale.....

Menma's desire was easy to understand, but it wasn't too lazy...... We don't know the new relationship after this episode, but they return a group, and this is great...
Okay... I haven't a particular favorite character... even so characterization is very good.... themes and plot are real nice, in this episode probably too many cries, but it's normally....

Definitively I gave this anime 9=/10... it's first anime with important preview that didn't ruin for only 11 episodes............
Jul 3, 2011 4:06 PM

Jul 2009
People seem to think that because the ending isn't pretentious and overly detailed/complicated that it's too simple and therefore dumb.

Simple makes for some of the greatest stories.

Fantastic show. 10/10
Jul 3, 2011 4:30 PM

Jun 2011
the last few episodes were slightly disappointing.

the ending did leave a bit of an unsatisfactory feeling in my gut, but this is definitely one of my favorite series. the characters were superb as well.

after the first 4 episodes i was getting ready to give this anime a 10/10, but the writers did really mess it up a bit.

I personally felt the first 4 episodes brought more tears than the last episodes. The pain of Jintan forcing himself to go out and reconnect with society to try and fulfill Menma's wish were a lot more emotionally stressful than the 'hide and seek' ending.

I wish the ending was different, but overall, im very happy with this series.(i especially enjoyed the rolling credits... the jintan giving back anaru's hanky was adorable)
Jul 4, 2011 3:23 AM

Jun 2010
I cried.
A LOT.
tears of sadness, regret, happiness. you name it.

good ending. the characters were realistic till the end. (if ghosts are real. haha) this is definitely my favorite anime that ended this season.

超平和バスターズはずっとなかよし. ^_^

Jul 4, 2011 7:11 AM
Mar 2008
Xardie said:
Wow. What a terribly cheesy, ridiculous ending for a decent show. Melodrama level through the roof and fuck you writers, people BAWWWING THEIR EYES OUT DO YOU FEEL ALREADY HUH and SCREAMING does not equal with good drama or well-written characters. Jesus Christ.

Pacing was pretty messed up in the end and whole storyline relied on characters - especially Jintan - picking up the idiot ball repeatedly. The whole deal was pretty ludicruous and overblown anyway. If you want to take a look at overcoming sorrow over someone dying fine, just try to do it with a bit more subtetly than hitting the viewer repeatedly with ARE YOU SAD YET sledgehammers.

Nevertheless, it was still good show despite all the herpderp writing and over the top cheese

7/10

I gave it 9 out of 10, but just because I thought it could be a strong 8...
My doubt was actually the ending. Yeah, the whole series was pretty baww, but in a good way, while the ending was, as you say, all about "hitting the viewer repeatedly with ARE YOU SAD YET sledgehammers". You couldn't have chosen better words, sir.
Especially, I found it pretty bad when Poppo came out with his reasons to feel selfish about wanting Menma to go to heaven. No really, he wasn't jealous or full of angst or something. And it's not like he could have saved Menma either. Poor Poppo he was just dumb and useful throughout the series. The whole hide-and-seek thing felt very very strained. Or maybe it would have been ok with a less unnatural baww scene.

Anyway, I will tone down my score a bit and give it an 8, for it was a pretty good show after all.
Still far away from the litres of tears I spilled with Kanon (2006) or the human-description depth of an Evangelion.
Jul 4, 2011 1:33 PM

Apr 2009
I'm such a wimp, freaking snot everywhere. God.
That said, I did laugh a few times too. This episode consisted mainly of crying and screaming in unison, and how can that be good? x__X The drama was too much.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 4, 2011 7:50 PM
Dec 2010
A Forget-me-not? Really??? D:< ARGH.

But it's still a good series. I just didn't like how everyone started bawling with their feelings. I felt like I was at a counseling session at that time. I still give it 9/10 for the majority of the anime.
Jul 4, 2011 10:22 PM

Aug 2010
chaelmi said:
i laughed when poppo was kneeling then anaru suddenly interrupts then jintan said she has two eyelashes!

if you didn't cry on this last episode, you're a freaking MACHINE!

ANO HANA FTW!

I never cried on the last episode. Overall 7/10 for this show. I think it had the potential to be a better show.
Jul 5, 2011 2:14 PM

Apr 2009
That was so heart warming <3
I loved this anime.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jul 5, 2011 9:14 PM

Nov 2010
Tayloroids said:

oh my GOD when everyone read their letters
I just can't.

Same. I did not cry once throughout the whole series, but when they started reading their letters of Menma saying what she loved about everyone, I started crying. It was just so touching, and also it might have been because I grew attached to the characters, and being the last episode, well, I wouldn't see them anymore!
This is in fact one of the few anime that has managed to make me cry at some point (off the top of my head I can only remember the OVA "5cm per second" which is just phenomenal).

Da-Joe said:
Definitely one of the better anime's this season. The best anime this season goes to Steins;Gate though <3

No way it can be better than Madoka Magica. I haven't watched Steins but I doubt it can be better than Madoka.
KelvetsJul 5, 2011 9:18 PM
Jul 6, 2011 10:12 AM

May 2009
OK ending, I couldn't re-watch it.

I found it strange that after Poppo's confession that there wasn't more of a focus on him and his trauma in particular, like it was all "Oh yeah, he needs a reason to feel guilty too, how about this" and then it was just swept under the rug after every had a good cry?

I agree with Frash that the hide-and-seek at the end felt very strained, and there was no mention beforehand that the group had ever played hide-and-seek as children, or did I miss it?
Jul 6, 2011 12:10 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I loved this anime. Although characters cried too many times for my liking but still it was awesome anime. Ending was great. I loved the implications for possible couples. Animation, music, seiyuu, characters and story - everything was done so well! Well, Menma was way too childlish but it's understandable. So in total that's 10/10 from me.
Jul 6, 2011 4:22 PM

Mar 2011
that damn music tugs on the heart,
that was a good ending to a great series, but i wish there wasn't as much crying but i had to hold back from doing it myself
Jul 7, 2011 12:06 AM

Feb 2010
Really good ending , the first meeting everyone blaming others was awesome , and we got the missing parts from poppo and tsuruko.

also the music was touching i must say.

really good series , character feels realistic , not like clannadshit.
VanisherJul 7, 2011 12:10 AM
Jul 7, 2011 12:04 PM

Nov 2007
Damn manipulative bastards.

Even as I thought the crying was getting a bit ridiculous, I couldn't help but be affected by it. The closest I get to crying while watching something is watery eyes, but this time the tears actually spilled out of my eyes.

Overall a solid series. Too bad it didn't exactly aim for anything amazing, but it was great for what it was.

Bye bye Menma. :>

8/10
Jul 7, 2011 7:32 PM

Mar 2009
Does anyone know the lyrics of the song "Dear Love" By: REMEDIOS :3?

I'll appreciatte it :B
Jul 8, 2011 7:06 AM

Mar 2010
just cried so much with this ep.
10/10, one of best anime I've ever seen.

Menma...!! TT_TT
Jul 8, 2011 3:09 PM

Oct 2008
I'm very happy this show didn't turn into clannad at the end and Menma gets alive or something... cause there were moments i really thought her wish is just to live again with her friends and have fun.

So overall a great series, very touching story with a great end :')

8/10
Mifune-sanJul 8, 2011 3:41 PM
Jul 8, 2011 7:46 PM
Jun 2011
WHO'S PEELING ONIONS....WHY WHY WHY ; ____ ;

i wasn't expecting this to make me cry.
Jul 9, 2011 12:14 AM

Jan 2008
:')

i love this episode
Jul 9, 2011 2:05 AM

Jul 2008
Kelvets said:
Tayloroids said:

oh my GOD when everyone read their letters
I just can't.

Same. I did not cry once throughout the whole series, but when they started reading their letters of Menma saying what she loved about everyone, I started crying.

Same here.. I really wasn't expecting this episode to make me cry but that did it.

Almost made up for the (way over the top) scene before with all the screaming and crying. :\
Jul 9, 2011 3:10 AM
Jul 2009
WOW... just WOW didnt think there would be another anime that came close to the calibre of clannad but this just left me speechless especially for a 11 ep series which gave them a very small time frame to develop characters and establish rapport with the audience.. but they still did an outstanding job...

10/10
Jul 9, 2011 7:33 AM
May 2010
Why not rate an anime thats make you laugh 10/10 then ? (same with all others anime genre) Why only crying makes it 10/10? Is that more special than laughing, feeling uncorfortable etc etc ? I'm not putting 10/10 because it makes you cry. I'm not putting 10/10 becuase it makes you laugh. Almost the entire episode 11 is a reason to not put 10/10. And all the episodes are plagued with mistakes about Menma shadows, strange reaction of other people, even the episode 11 super sudden change about Yukiatsu is so unexplainable. I mean for years and years he was in a way and there in a few hours it all changed ? Episode 10 he was asshole, episode 11 is a few hours later he was super nice SUDDENTLY like change like this happens suddently like this)

Why is clannad so great because it makes you crying ? Why everyone is referencing with Clannad in the first place ? It's not because it makes you cry that it means its better.

I don't get people. So to make a good anime i just make 30 crappy episode then kill the main female character, add forced drama with a child then magically revives the main girl illogically just for the fans ?
Jul 9, 2011 8:20 AM
Jul 2009
ZaggyPlushie said:
Why not rate an anime thats make you laugh 10/10 then ? (same with all others anime genre) Why only crying makes it 10/10? Is that more special than laughing, feeling uncorfortable etc etc ? I'm not putting 10/10 because it makes you cry. I'm not putting 10/10 becuase it makes you laugh. Almost the entire episode 11 is a reason to not put 10/10. And all the episodes are plagued with mistakes about Menma shadows, strange reaction of other people, even the episode 11 super sudden change about Yukiatsu is so unexplainable. I mean for years and years he was in a way and there in a few hours it all changed ? Episode 10 he was asshole, episode 11 is a few hours later he was super nice SUDDENTLY like change like this happens suddently like this)

Why is clannad so great because it makes you crying ? Why everyone is referencing with Clannad in the first place ? It's not because it makes you cry that it means its better.

I don't get people. So to make a good anime i just make 30 crappy episode then kill the main female character, add forced drama with a child then magically revives the main girl illogically just for the fans ?

LOL all i see here is self justified rage that makes one feel superior to others hahahaha this guy <3 i love people like that
Jul 9, 2011 8:22 AM

Sep 2008
ZaggyPlushie said:
Why not rate an anime thats make you laugh 10/10 then ? (same with all others anime genre) Why only crying makes it 10/10? Is that more special than laughing, feeling uncorfortable etc etc ? I'm not putting 10/10 because it makes you cry. I'm not putting 10/10 becuase it makes you laugh blah blah blah
First thing: Nobody cares.
Second thing: People don't always cry because they are uneasy and that's definitely not why people cried in the greatest parts of Clannad.
Third thing: It's extremely easy to make a person laugh while making them cry is far more difficult.
Jul 9, 2011 8:34 AM
May 2010
lol. it's actually not harder to make soneone cry than someone laugh. I had some cinema and psychology class at university. That doesnt make me an 'expert' like YOU are but i guess I know some stuff.

Anyway illogical people are illogical. I'll not try to have a intelligent conversatioin here anymore.

As far as I know One Piece is far more powerful tear jerker than Clannad or Ano hana. And it's not even primarly made to cry. Now that's how you do it.
Jul 9, 2011 8:42 AM

Sep 2008
ZaggyPlushie said:
lol. it's actually not harder to make soneone cry than someone laugh. I had csome cinema and psychology class at university. That doesnt make me an 'expert' like YOU are but i guess I know some stuff.

Anyway illogical people are illogical. I'll not try to have a intelligent conversatioin here anymore.
So what kind of logic were you looking for?

People rate anime depending on how well it fullfilled the need they had that caused them to start the anime in the first place. Some people watch anime to laugh, some to cry, some to think etc etc. People were just wanting something that makes them cry and Ano Hana did so very well compared to other anime, in their opinion, so they gave it a 10. Likewise you can find people giving comedy anime 10/10 if that's exactly what they were looking for. For your information, Gintama is a comedy anime and you can see it being rated even higher. It's a matter of taste and what a person feels like seeing.

You're just looking for anime with the least amount of mistakes it seems. If you feel that that is all an anime needs to be good, then by all means give the mistakeless anime you find a 10/10.
Jul 9, 2011 10:04 AM
Jul 2009
ZaggyPlushie said:
lol. it's actually not harder to make soneone cry than someone laugh. I had some cinema and psychology class at university. That doesnt make me an 'expert' like YOU are but i guess I know some stuff.

As far as I know One Piece is far more powerful tear jerker than Clannad or Ano hana. And it's not even primarly made to cry. Now that's how you do it.

Great i love how people who studied cinema and psychology still dont seem to understand that Once piece and anohana/clannad are two different genres and maybe some people prefer a genre over another? Also i LOVE how you claim to be an intelligent individual yet you fail to realise that maybe ratings arn't given based on "o HAHAH this 1 is funny its making me laugh and thus it must be better than the 1 i watch prior that made me cry" and ur little rant about not having an intelligent conversation ehre anymore? please indulge me on where YOUR self gratified and unsupported rant about animes that provide laughter > animes that give tears was any bit "intellectual"? that statement right there is opinionated and thus pointless.

For argument sake using ur logic, at this point in time i need to fap and thus i'll watch a hentai... this 1 made me cum so i'll give it a 10 cause it made me feel good and satisfied my needs..... WRONG YOU DOPE.

But i have to agree with you on one thing.. illogical people are quite indeed illogical so you should forge some logics into your otherwise illogical mind and understand that no one gives a fuck what you think or wether an anime deserves a 10 because it may or may have not made the audience cry.

in closing... YOU KIND SIR... ARE AN IDIOT, PLEASE DIE :) <3<3
orikasJul 9, 2011 10:25 AM
Jul 9, 2011 1:13 PM
Apr 2010
Wow, I thought my tear ducts shrivled and died a long time ago, until i saw this ep. omg.... that was such a tear jerker!!!!!!

THIS EP AND THIS SERIES GETS 10/10!!!!!!
Jul 10, 2011 4:10 AM
Jul 2009
8.83... turning into another madoka

mediocre at best

completely overhyped and overrated
Jul 10, 2011 3:59 PM

Feb 2010
i honestly was not feeling the show throughout, I guess I'm a bit cold. But those last 3 minutes almost got me crying...

But the show on the whole was just okay, didn't do much for me. :/
Jul 10, 2011 4:34 PM

Jun 2011
This episode reminds me of the entire second season of Death Note, FLCL, and Dead Leaves. All four of them including this episode are fast-paced and on drugs. I have a few issues (most of the characters, Jinta and Menma on the second half) on the entire series. I'm completely speechless how this ended. I was gambling everything on Jinta only. He is the only one that can solve the puzzle. Then, everyone starts crying and confessions, flashbacks, and whatever BS came out of nowhere.
In the end, it was still Jinta who dealt the final move so I'm still alive after a massive loss of brain cells.

Seriously, what a 180 degree turn in the pacing.
I would give the concluding arc to Jinta for 2-3 episodes and do it NGE TV style.
It's missing a third of itself.
Rounded up 7/10.
_laz_Jul 19, 2011 7:44 AM
The threat is stronger than the execution.
Jul 10, 2011 4:37 PM

May 2010
it was tragic and slightly depressing, but ultimately beautiful...
the animation was amazing

Jul 11, 2011 1:57 AM
Jun 2011
Can't...stop...crying T_______________T

That's the first time I've cried so hard during an anime that I couldn't read the subs ;_____;

10/10, beautifully done.

Oh, and thanks for spoiling Clannad for me guys. Sheesh.
Pages (25) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

217 by NillyPC »»
Apr 22, 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.