Forum Settings
Forums

Who is the most intelligent Anime character; philosophically speaking.

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 15, 2011 12:50 AM

Apr 2011
the smartest person....hmm..... i think its that alien girl from the show The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

(srry don't remember her name) haha .... i know I'm so ignorant sometimes ;)~
Jun 15, 2011 2:47 AM

Apr 2008
IDex said:
Ginko from Mushishi was the first to pop into my mind.
EXACTLY what I was thinking...
Jun 15, 2011 3:44 AM

Jun 2008
I think a lot of people are missing the "philosophically speaking" part of the question.
Jun 15, 2011 4:52 AM
Dec 2007
Kinoholic said:
I think a lot of people are missing the "philosophically speaking" part of the question.
They don't understand philosophy to begin with.

Jun 15, 2011 5:30 AM

May 2010
Actually what about Johan Liebert? I will edit out Reinhardo because I realize his intelligence lies mostly in governing an empire (although he probably he is very philosophical to even reach there)
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 15, 2011 8:56 AM

May 2011
Holo and Hohenheim.
Jun 15, 2011 3:54 PM

Jun 2011
Light Yagami from Death Note. Or maybe L
Jun 15, 2011 4:06 PM

Nov 2010
Im gonna have to say Light Yagami. he is doing pretty well in the brains and philosophy department.

and yea, you could say hes only intelligent because the creators made him seem that way....but you can say that about ANY smart character considering they are all fictional.
Hokuto_no_FuzzJun 15, 2011 4:17 PM
Jun 15, 2011 4:15 PM
Mar 2011
live2win said:
tigermaskV said:
Zhuge Liang- in the anime version of three kingdoms

total genius beyond that of light or any one

Brothers are like limbs, wives are like clothing. Torn clothing can be repaired; how can broken limbs be mended

one of Zhuge Liang Sayings

兄弟如手足,妻子如衣服。衣服破,尚可缝;手足断,安可续 - 劉備 ( Liu Bei )

Because this is in the context of anime and no adaption can do justice for RoTK, I would pick Yang Wenli as well.

i agree with you in one way about the Adaptation but id Put Zhuge Liang and Lui Bei but RoTK is one of if not my fave book of all time

He Trums Lu lu and Yagami and i Knoe the Script of the RoTK Manga is a perfect if on very Condensed ver of the Novel Script
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 15, 2011 5:47 PM
Sep 2009
I don't even know why Light and Lelouch are even mentioned here. Lelouch is looking to topple a tyrannical empire in the name of revenge most of the series, nothing philosophical about that. And Light's "evil people deserve to die... oh, and if you stand against me you are evil" mindset is an incredibly juvenile to look at things. I like both characters and the shows they are from, but philosophically deep... not really.

Anyway, I'd say Boogiepop is philosophically intelligent. Her unflinching assessment of society and individuals' way of thinking, shows she has a lot of philosophical depth to her.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jun 15, 2011 6:01 PM

May 2009
Jrittmayer said:
Yui from K-ON.

Fun things are indeed, fun.

Seconding Yang Wenli.

Would also like to mention Murai. He understood that Iserlohn needed someone like him for it to be efficient and not just full of foppery and whim. Maybe not exactly philosophical, but he looked at the bigger picture.
Jun 20, 2011 3:44 AM
Mar 2009
Shinichi Akiyama
L Lawliet
Light Yagami
Ginko
Yang Wenli
Toua
Lelouch
Johan Liebert
Shikamaru Nara
Jun 20, 2011 7:37 AM

Jun 2011
Yukio...?

Jun 20, 2011 7:40 AM

Mar 2010
Victorique de Blois, Gosick.
She's young, but she can solve mysteries that her adult (and detective) brother can't solve.
Also, Irabu Ichiro, Kuuchuu Buranko.
Although he acts like an idiot, he knows what to do with his patients. And he never fails with his terapies.

【私の夢しかありません。】 | | | | | | |
Jun 20, 2011 7:52 AM

Nov 2010
Katsuragi keima - TWGON
Shikamaru Nara - Naruto
Sakurai tomoki (when It comes to peeking) - Sora no otoshimono
Sugata, Eishirou - sora no otoshimono
Saito yakumo - shinrei tantei yakumo
Jun 20, 2011 8:03 AM
Mar 2011
Zhuge Liang
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 20, 2011 11:26 AM

Aug 2010
I would go for Light from Death Note, the way he moved things around so no one would be sure if he was kira. He even manipulated L and the police force.
Jun 20, 2011 4:25 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah... I def. think that people are missing the "philosophically" part of the questions.
You can be clever and have a high IQ, but that's not philosophical intelligence. (i.e. Light)
Jun 20, 2011 7:08 PM
Jun 2011
Definitely Light from Death Note ... that guy knew what's gonna happen months in advance!
although L is not any less smarter ... yet Light's edge was his knowledge about the Death note Which L lacked !

I would also say Itachi from Naruto ... since his plan almost worked perfectly if wasn't for Madara
Jun 20, 2011 7:22 PM

Mar 2009
Yang Wenli and Reinhard have already been mentioned, so I'll have to add Griffith(Berserk) to the list.
Jun 21, 2011 1:34 AM

Jul 2010
I can only think of Light (Death Note) and Shikamaru (Naruto)
Jun 21, 2011 3:50 AM

Nov 2009
A lot of characters (well, their creators, I suppose) like to think they're very cool and philosphical making a bunch of epic speeches and such, but most of the time what they say isn't really very wise or well thought out. xD
Also, characters are perfectly capable of being geniuses in some aspects without being wise. Sherlock Holmes is a genius, but he couldn't give a damn about philosophy or morals.

The really wise, philosophical characters are the ones who ponder everything, I mean Yang Wenli's a great example, Ginko from Mushishi and Kino, they all have very open minds.
Those such as Lelouch and Light Yagami are very debatable because of their strong opinions, since you'd only really consider them to be intelligent if you agree with their views and their intentions.

: )
curiouser and curiouser :)
Jun 23, 2011 5:10 AM

Sep 2009
Baman said:
Yang Wenli. Certainly the brightest in a strategical and tactical sense, as well as being a ace in history and having a good understanding of politics. And a remarkably strong faith in his democratic ideals.

And at the same time, Oberstein, for both being a no-compromise Machiavellian schemer, but also willing to sacrifice everything for his ideals.

Basically this.
Jun 23, 2011 5:15 AM

Jun 2011
I have to agree with most of the sentiment that Lelouch isn't all that great philosophically speaking. But I don't think he had to be. I was a big fan of his character throughout the series but the above all he just seems to be confused and tries to convince himself that he knows some greater truth that will let him keep on going.

Also, though Victorique from GOSICK is very smart, I don't necessarily consider her philosophical. In that case, I guess she'd be more like Conan from Detective Conan but much better spoken.

I'm not sure if I missed it but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Yuuko Ichihara from xxxHolic. Sure she's a drunk most of the time but it's her serious moments that amaze me.
Jun 23, 2011 5:36 AM

Jun 2011
maybe Johan Liebert from Monster
i also think that both Light and L from deathnote should be mentioned here
Jun 23, 2011 6:19 AM

Oct 2008
I had troubles thinking of a character "who is the most intelligent...; philosophically speaking." I could think of several characters who are at least portrayed as highly intelligent. And I can think of a few who seem wise. But when I think of philosophy, I think of doctrine that pretty much --- but not necessarily --- dictates how one lives one's life.

With that in mind, the only character I can think of that even has an interesting philosophy in my opinion would be Claire Stanfield.

Wenli Yang is a man of principle and wise beyond his years. But I didn't get a sense of a strong philosophy from him.
Jun 23, 2011 7:34 AM

Mar 2011
Kotomi, Inchinose From Clannad? I think,

L was definitely physically smart
Jun 23, 2011 7:45 AM
Jun 2010
Yuki Nagato.
Jun 23, 2011 9:13 AM

Dec 2008
astronomical said:
Yeah... I def. think that people are missing the "philosophically" part of the questions.
You can be clever and have a high IQ, but that's not philosophical intelligence. (i.e. Light)

This. The characters that are frequently mentioned in the posts before this seem to be those with strategic intelligence (Shikamaru Nara, seriously? What part of him is philosophical? In fact, no character of Naruto is qualified to be mentioned here).

Personally, I have yet to come across a character with sufficient insight to make me label him as 'philosophically intelligent'. Or none that spring to mind as of now. But that's probably due to a lack of variety in the ones I've watched thusfar.
ToadbusterJun 23, 2011 9:18 AM
Mine is better than yours.
Jun 23, 2011 9:44 AM

Jan 2009
hm....the only person I can think of is Ginko from Mushishi
Jun 23, 2011 1:54 PM

Jun 2011
Light Yagami and L Lawliet from Death Note.
Jun 23, 2011 4:52 PM

Dec 2009
konata cause all she does is eat pocky all day and read manga and fap, philosophically speaking that's the best thing possible, a modern day hedonist and cynic if you ask me.
Jun 23, 2011 4:57 PM

Mar 2009
Light from Death Note.
Toua from One Outs.
Jun 23, 2011 6:02 PM
Dec 2007
Eurius said:

I'm not sure if I missed it but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Yuuko Ichihara from xxxHolic. Sure she's a drunk most of the time but it's her serious moments that amaze me.
She certainly has that air about her, plus she spends her life passing on her lessons under the guise of "wishes".

Jun 23, 2011 6:15 PM

Apr 2008
D-GreatRuler said:
astronomical said:
This. The characters that are frequently mentioned in the posts before this seem to be those with strategic intelligence (Shikamaru Nara, seriously? What part of him is philosophical? In fact, no character of Naruto is qualified to be mentioned here).

Personally, I have yet to come across a character with sufficient insight to make me label him as 'philosophically intelligent'. Or none that spring to mind as of now. But that's probably due to a lack of variety in the ones I've watched thusfar.
Glad you agree. I recommend watching Mushishi. I think Ginko, the main character can def. be considered philosophically intelligent. That, and it's just a great anime.
Jun 23, 2011 6:24 PM

Feb 2010
Something makes me want to say Kaiji. He is an amazing strategist, when the time comes for it... Also, he totally knows whats wrong with the people of this world and then confronts it. Example -
Jun 23, 2011 7:10 PM

Mar 2009
n10sity said:
I had troubles thinking of a character "who is the most intelligent...; philosophically speaking." I could think of several characters who are at least portrayed as highly intelligent. And I can think of a few who seem wise. But when I think of philosophy, I think of doctrine that pretty much --- but not necessarily --- dictates how one lives one's life.

With that in mind, the only character I can think of that even has an interesting philosophy in my opinion would be Claire Stanfield.

Wenli Yang is a man of principle and wise beyond his years. But I didn't get a sense of a strong philosophy from him.

Huh, I hadn't thought of him. Great choice. Good ol' Claire and his solipsism.
Jun 23, 2011 10:42 PM

Jul 2010
L and Light from Death Note.
Lelouch from Code Geass.
Jul 1, 2011 9:55 AM

Oct 2008
I wouldn't classify him as particularly intelligent or philosophical, but Kimberlee in FMA had interesting things to say about killing people with alchemy. I don't know what made me just think of him.
Jul 1, 2011 9:59 AM

Jan 2010
Ginko of Mushishi is who came to mind first for me. He just always knows how to go about things, and has this deep connection with nature.
I would definitely add Kino from Kino's Journey as well, though. Lots of things to ponder about from the character's observations. Great stuff.
Jul 3, 2011 3:23 PM

Mar 2011
Great topic !!

Euh it may sound childish or not... Madara Uchiha ! I like his project "Tsuki no me" He knows how to play with people's mind 3:)

Kaname in Vampire Knight. I think this one fits your question!
"Il est difficile d'attraper un chat noir dans une pièce sombre, surtout lorsqu'il n'y est pas."
Jul 3, 2011 4:42 PM
May 2010
The most morally intelligent person in Japanese animation is Vash from Trigun.
Jul 3, 2011 6:16 PM

Aug 2008
Yagami Light. Coz he wants to get rid of all the criminals rather than accepting crime like everyone else.

Also people who say you have no right to decide who lives and who dies, thats Gods job and you are not God.
Well then why did God allow people and give people the necessary tools to be able to end other ppls lives?

I will live on no matter what... so I can meet you once again.
Jul 3, 2011 6:17 PM

Aug 2008
Confucius said:
The master of Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu, Seijuro Hiko the 13th. A man of wisdom, philosophy and swordsmanship.

gregory003 said:
Light in deathnote. Guy is amazing.

You have yet to witness the greatness of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Monster. It puts Death Note to shame

Monster doesn't put deathnote to shame, monster is more boring than deathnote (up until
) but more realistic.
KimuraJul 3, 2011 10:22 PM

I will live on no matter what... so I can meet you once again.
Jul 5, 2011 6:49 AM

May 2011
Lelouch ,Light or L...
Jul 5, 2011 7:43 AM

Aug 2008
I'd go with:
Kino from Kino no Tabi
Higuchi Seitarou from Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Ginko from Mushishi

Also, some that are not from anime, but instead novels/manga:
I from Zaregoto
Emanon from Omoide Emanon
Zerozaki Hitoshiki from Zaregoto
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Jul 5, 2011 7:58 AM

Jan 2010
I'm going with Spike Spiegal. Not sure about intelligence, but he's got the philosophical part down.
Jul 5, 2011 8:21 AM

Aug 2009
Lelouch is the smartest anime character I can think of!!
Jul 5, 2011 9:17 AM

Jun 2011
Come on Detective Conan is the smartest by far.
Jul 5, 2011 1:15 PM

Jan 2010
Johan from Monster and L from Death Note.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

70 by MichaelJackson »»
7 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

16 by cyandaqil »»
11 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

8 by tchitchouan »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

21 by luckyrune »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

31 by 707supremacist »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.