Forum Settings
Forums

That One Series You Love But Everyone Else...

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2011 3:45 PM

Nov 2008
Foggle said:
Not a series, buuuuuuut... Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence.

Yes, I liked it.

Loved it, in fact..
And I thought I was the only one to prefer it to the original movie (No comment on SAC, I need to watch more of it). Maybe not by 3 points, but somewhere between a half a point and a full point.

Perhaps you should check out some of Oshii's other works. While he directed both GitS movies, he directed other gems such as the two Patlabor movies, Angel's Egg, The Sky Crawlers and File 538 from Twilight Q.

They are all well worth checking out if you have the time, and I would say all of the anime I mentioned are better than the first GitS movie. The one which perhaps isn't is Gosenzosama Banbanzai, but even that is rather original, unique and worth watching if you fancy something a bit different.

I guess Mamoru Oshiii anime in general fit this topic, seeing as most of them are far more obscure than they should be.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 24, 2011 3:54 PM
Feb 2011
Seikon no Qwaser, Chaos;Head
Apr 24, 2011 4:44 PM

Aug 2009
Ok I will give this a try :)

Innocent Venus~ I feel like most people have never heard of this, and for those who have seen it, I have seen some people dismiss it as just cliche action etc etc. I haven't seen anyone else who loves it as much as I do. I think the dynamic between all the characters is fantastic and the short length really helps make it exciting and suspenseful all the way through. I had it in my faves at one point but I switch them around a lot.

Char's Counterattack~ Well really only Gundam fans have seen this I guess since you can't even watch it without watching the older Gundam tv series' first, and most of these people seem to think it "ruined" Char's character which was "so much better" in Zeta and that one of the main characters Quess was an "annoying spoiled brat" or whatever. I don't agree with any of this, but if I did I wouldn't have the amount of love for this movie that I do.
Apr 24, 2011 5:01 PM

Jun 2008
Chi's Sweet Home
Apr 24, 2011 5:06 PM

Sep 2007
FOE-tan said:
A bunch of stuff about Mamoru Oshii.

It's official: you are awesome! Gonna' have to check all of them out! Thanks!

My main problem with the first GitS movie is that the pacing is really off. Some parts move at a snail's pace while others go by way too fast. And I wasn't a fan of the music used in the drawn out, dialogue-less scenes, so that didn't help, either.
Apr 24, 2011 5:10 PM

Sep 2010
Ore no imouto
Just awesome

Infinite stratos
over-hated imo

Zero no Tsukaima
Three seasons of epicness.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2011 9:24 PM

Sep 2009
True tears.
So it was a little sappy!
Big deal! :P
Apr 24, 2011 10:10 PM

Feb 2011
Last Exile
Apr 24, 2011 10:20 PM

Jul 2010
Haibane Renmei.

Compared to the other 4 in my favorites that is.
Apr 24, 2011 11:02 PM

Apr 2009
Yumekui Merry

I was surprised when I heard that not many people liked it as much as I did.
Apr 24, 2011 11:06 PM
Aug 2009
The first thing that comes to my mind is Digimon Frontier.
Although everyone HATES it xD I really enjoyed watching it.
Anyway, I accept the fact that I'm a Digimon-fagg0t, so I just don't care what they say >:3
Apr 25, 2011 1:21 AM

Mar 2009
LoL. About half my 10's are far from popular.

10 - Casshern Sins
10 - Flag
10 - Hadashi no Gen
10 - Himitsu: Top Secret
10 - Kemono no Souja Erin
10 - Mouryou no Hako
10 - Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
10 - Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings
10 - Zipang

Also:

And for fun, shows mentioned in this thread that I like a LOT!
lisnoireApr 25, 2011 1:39 AM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Apr 26, 2011 12:01 AM

Apr 2010
Hmmm.... I got a lot of anime that I think are underrated, but not that many that I love but are generally disliked...

Gundam seed and RahXephon I guess... though both those aren't really hated that much... just by a select few fans who preferred other shows of the same genre...

Ahhh Star Ocean X, thats a good example. Its not a good show, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Tonagura! can get some mention as well... though thats mostly just unknown rather than disliked
Apr 26, 2011 12:12 AM

Nov 2009
Yosuga no Sora.

I guess I see over the OTT Ecchi, most dont seem to.
Apr 26, 2011 12:26 AM

May 2009
^^I really enjoyed Yosuga no Sora as well ^-^
Hmm, as for me perhaps Negima?!
I don't know, i just don't see it really mentioned anywhere.
Bamboo Blade is another pretty good series.
So not really in regards to people disliking the series i'm mentioning.
They just kind of fly under the radar i suppose.
I could be wrong though haha
Apr 26, 2011 12:33 AM

Jun 2009
SuperKyou said:
Yosuga no Sora.

I agree with this as well, it really was no where near as bad as many people made it out to be. The sex and nudity, I mean.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 26, 2011 1:04 AM
Dec 2008
insan3soldiern said:
SuperKyou said:
Yosuga no Sora.

I agree with this as well, it really was no where near as bad as many people made it out to be. The sex and nudity, I mean.

Well in some cases the issue of morality compels people to shoot the anime down I guess.
Apr 26, 2011 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
qseft said:
insan3soldiern said:
SuperKyou said:
Yosuga no Sora.

Well in some cases the issue of morality compels people to shoot the anime down I guess.

To me that's ridiculous. At the end of the day it's a TV Show and that's it, if someone lets something like that bother them then that means their morality or whatever may not be strong enough to tolerate it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 26, 2011 4:25 AM

Jun 2010
Aki sora great action anime.
Apr 26, 2011 5:09 AM

Aug 2010
Darkmvr said:
Aki sora great action anime.

Indeed, a great certain type of action. There's a story if you look deep enough. If you want to, that is.
Apr 26, 2011 6:05 AM
May 2009
I guess it would be stuff in the 80's and 90's Like Kimengumi, where most people don't know what they are. Or don't find the jokes that funny.
Apr 26, 2011 7:16 AM

Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
qseft said:
insan3soldiern said:
SuperKyou said:
Yosuga no Sora.

To me that's ridiculous. At the end of the day it's a TV Show and that's it, if someone lets something like that bother them then that means their morality or whatever may not be strong enough to tolerate it.

i dropped it deu to the incest but not bashing the serie's in any way (if it weren't for the incest i would have finished it haha)
Apr 26, 2011 8:26 AM

Sep 2010
kickthebucket said:
insan3soldiern said:
qseft said:
insan3soldiern said:
SuperKyou said:
Yosuga no Sora.

i dropped it deu to the incest but not bashing the serie's in any way (if it weren't for the incest i would have finished it haha)

I watched it for the incest. It was the best part.
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Apr 26, 2011 1:35 PM

Jan 2008
uyen143 said:
I watched it for the incest. It was the best part

I've gotta say, this is actually true. Without the overarching Sora plot arc it would've been just a generic harem with sex, whilst the final Sora arc really boosted the quality and watchability of the show. Strangely enough the incest is actually a lot more tasteful than some of the other scenes in the show.
Apr 26, 2011 2:17 PM

Aug 2009
School Days. I know most people feel that they went a bit overboard with that anime, especially the ending, but I felt that it was well thought out. Also it's a bit slow paced and that may be another reason why not many people like it.
Apr 26, 2011 2:51 PM

Mar 2009
insan3soldiern said:
SuperKyou said:
Yosuga no Sora.

Adding in a "me too."

insan3soldiern said:
I like you.
lisnoireApr 26, 2011 2:55 PM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Apr 26, 2011 3:19 PM

Feb 2011
tolliverasleon said:
Yumekui Merry

I was surprised when I heard that not many people liked it as much as I did.

The Manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the anime

Yumeji is a badass in the manga, and the story actually makes sense. Also J.C. staff screwed it up hard
Apr 26, 2011 4:12 PM

Nov 2010
Gin'iro no Kami no Agito. Not well known, not really well rated - apparently the plot is overused. But for some reason, I love it to pieces.
Apr 26, 2011 4:33 PM

Nov 2010
I really haven't completed a lot of series in comparison to others here, but I guess I like Kiddy Girl AND, High School Girls, and Blue Drop more than most normal users here.
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Apr 26, 2011 5:53 PM

Apr 2011
I really like Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds but not much people care for Yu-Gi-Oh! anymore.
Apr 26, 2011 9:22 PM
Mar 2011
where do i begin.. lol

Neon Genesis Evangelion - the ending is really rushed, but i think they still did a good job on trying to explain a bit

FLCL - i really don't know why people called this anime an acid trip i thought it was great

Series Experiment Lain - people seem to dislike it because of the depressing atmostphere of the anime, but i think it's one of the most inspiring anime i've ever seen.

I think the over-rated animes that i can think of is...
Naruto, Bleach, Code Geass ( this totally copied an old anime.. ), and most main stream animes of america :\
Apr 27, 2011 12:55 AM

Apr 2011
K-On!

well idk. about half the population thinks it's dumb while the other half adores it.
Apr 27, 2011 3:42 AM

Dec 2009
Yu-Gi-Oh! and Beyblade.

Apr 27, 2011 5:10 AM

Mar 2010
There's heaps:

11 Eyes
Peach Girl
Air
True Tears
H20: Footprints in the Sand
Myself;Yourself
Fruits Basket
Negima! / Negima!?
Chobits
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Green Green
Shiki

Yet TTGL, Haruhi and One Piece are showered with praise. What's this world coming to? ^^''
Apr 27, 2011 5:32 AM

Nov 2008
TokyoCandlelight said:
There's heaps:

11 Eyes
Peach Girl
Air
True Tears
H20: Footprints in the Sand
Myself;Yourself
Fruits Basket
Negima! / Negima!?
Chobits
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Green Green
Shiki

Yet TTGL, Haruhi and One Piece are showered with praise. What's this world coming to? ^^''
In the case of Fruits Basket and Negima, the reason they are rated so low is because the manga they are based off are vastly superior. Neither anime could cover more than 25% of their respective manga's plot.

Green Green being better than Haruhi/TTGL just gets a flat what from me. While TTGL and Haruhi are definitely overrated, I just can't see how Green Green would be better than either of them.

Rainbow is actually rated higher than Haruhi is and is ranked higher on MAL's top anime list as a result. It's just much less popular, meaning you hear less praise because there are fewer people to praise it.

Chobits used to hold the kind of popularity Haruhi and Gurren Lagann back when it was released, but it doesn't have it now. I believe it's a love-or-hate series, and people seem to prefer Chobits with gore and nudity (AKA Elfen Lied) to plain Chobits.

I'm not going to comment on the others.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 27, 2011 9:03 AM
Apr 2011
History's strongest disciple kenichi
most of my friends think it sucks don't know about you guys though
Apr 27, 2011 9:15 AM

Oct 2009
trinity873 said:
History's strongest disciple kenichi
most of my friends think it sucks don't know about you guys though

Kenichi is amazing, hands down. The manga is incredible too.
May 3, 2011 9:42 AM

Feb 2011
Weiss Kreuz -> It's in my top 3 anime but I have an impression that barely anyone heard about it. And most who did say that plot is predictable. And I really loved the idea of assassins removed from the society and hunting "dark beasts". Also the characters really sparked my interest and I absolutely love them.

Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) -> Many people say that it's boring because there's not much action. But it's beautiful and complex story that took my breath away. The novels on which the anime is based are often compared to The Lord of the Rings.

Gravitation -> I thought that it was popular but no matter which forum I come across most of the users label it as one of the worst shonen-ai series. But I really enjoyed the story. Music anime + excellent seiyuu for both main characters + bishounen.. How can you not love it? + humour

Kiba -> Has anybody even heard of this anime...?
May 3, 2011 10:11 AM

Jun 2010
bus gamer XDXD
My parents always taught me not to talk to strangers............Well, that went well didnt it?
May 3, 2011 10:49 AM

Apr 2011
I think Kare Kano is one of the best Romance series ever made but lots of people say it's merely 'good' because of its ending.

I like R.O.D. The TV a lot because it combines lots of different elements very well, but other people say it is 'boring'.

I liked 'Only You' better than 'Beautiful Dreamer'.

I liked 'Panty and Stocking' but lots of people dislike it.

Be easier to list the anime series that I dislike, but everyone else loves.
Because there is no 'U' in Color.
May 7, 2011 5:19 AM

Sep 2010
I really like "Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro" but it's not so popular ^^;
May 7, 2011 6:55 AM

Mar 2011
Dragon Crisis ^^

and K-ON
Courtesy of Paul
May 7, 2011 7:40 AM
Dec 2009
Ground Defence Mao-chan. It's actually in the bottom 100 TV series all-time with a score of 6.49. (1604/1699) I know it'll never be anything spectacular or thought-provoking, but it's so cuddly and cute that I can't help but love it and feel uplifted after watching an episode.

Mouse is even lower (6.28) but I got my R1 boxset signed by Halko Momoi, the OP singer. Plus you can watch the entire thing over dinner, being 12 14-minute episodes. It'll always be another sentimental favorite, even though the show itself is just complete popcorn.
zzzzzzzzMay 7, 2011 7:44 AM
May 7, 2011 2:01 PM
Dec 2010
I like Hitohira, but no one I know seems the have heard of it, and it seems to lack the popularity of say Clannad, which also talks about drama ( though not with as much emphasis as in Hitohira)
May 7, 2011 4:08 PM
Feb 2011
Natsu no Arashi
K-ON!
A-Channel
HimeldaMay 7, 2011 4:20 PM
­
May 7, 2011 5:04 PM

Apr 2010
School Days.
May 7, 2011 5:15 PM

Apr 2011
Naruto. I must be the only one who doesn't love it for the "OMG COOL NINJA FIGHTS" side. Some people forgets that it actually does have a plot.
May 7, 2011 6:19 PM

May 2011
Mine is Gun x Sword. Its really underrated. I love every ep and the fights in between Van and Ray and epic.
May 7, 2011 7:13 PM

Nov 2010
hm i think canaan is rly nice but its not good enough to get enough people hooked i think :/
May 7, 2011 7:20 PM

Aug 2010
Canaan started well but got a bit silly imho, did like it though and dat soundtrack was awesome.

Sugoi, sugoi, sugoi.

Anyway, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera. Why aren't many of you watching it?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

44 by DarkShame2 »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

65 by Pinoffin »»
8 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

29 by WatchTillTandava »»
14 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

33 by Tropisch »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 8 hours ago

11 by DarkShame2 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.